The World's #1 Russian, Ukrainian & Eastern European Discussion & Information Forum - RUA!

This Is the Premier Discussion Forum on the Net for Information and Discussion about Russia, Ukraine, Eastern Europe and the Former Soviet Union. Discuss Culture, Politics, Travelling, Language, International Relationships and More. Chat with Travellers, Locals, Residents and Expats. Ask and Answer Questions about Travel, Culture, Relationships, Applying for Visas, Translators, Interpreters, and More. Give Advice, Read Trip Reports, Share Experiences and Make Friends.

Author Topic: Russian melons  (Read 13156 times)

Offline NS1

• Supporting Member
  • Trips: 5-10
Re: Russian melons
« Reply #25 on: August 23, 2014, 02:57:38 PM »
Everyone likes different size Melons :)
I have not been to Belize, Very popular among Canadians for retirement.
I wish to see along with many different places in this part of the world.
There is nothing permanent except change.

Offline Annushka

« Reply #26 on: August 24, 2014, 01:26:39 PM »
Pickled watermelon sounds great. I think Russians pickle everything.  :)

Larry, do you propose to keep the watermelon in the freezer?  ;D

Offline mendeleyev

• Spouses Country: Russia
  • Trips: 20+
« Reply #27 on: August 24, 2014, 02:46:19 PM »
One of the things that you will notice in autumn are the last of the melon stands around FSU cities. Most of these melons are brought up from the south, and including Uzbekistan. The area now known as Uzbekistan is considered to be the original home of melons, just as Almaty (Kazakhstan) is thought to be the original home of the apple.

Some years ago Mrs. Mendeleyeva painted this and titled it "Last melon of the season." It is a real honour when extended family invite you over to share their last melon of the season.

Melons moved from what is now Uzbekistan to China and Persia via the "Silk Road" which ran thru that region. From there they were introduced to other parts of the world. Some Uzbek and southern Russia melons can last for months if stored correctly.

ila_rendered

Offline Manny

• Trips: 20+
« Reply #28 on: August 24, 2014, 03:03:51 PM »
One of the things that you will notice in autumn are the last of the melon stands around FSU cities.

I was in a supermarket a few days ago in Estonia, and there was a huge pile of melons still. But people were running off with them giggling, everybody seemed to have one or more in their basket, so I guess the season is ending up there in the north?

Although Estonia as an EU member might be affected by the Russian sanctions if they come from Russia. Perhaps that was why the mild hysteria.
Read a trip report from North Korea >>here<< - Read a trip report from South Korea, China and Hong Kong >>here<<

Look what the American media makes some people believe:
Putin often threatens to strike US with nuclear weapons.

Offline Larry

« Reply #29 on: August 24, 2014, 03:51:12 PM »
Pickled watermelon sounds great. I think Russians pickle everything.  :)

Larry, do you propose to keep the watermelon in the freezer?  ;D

We never had any watermelons after the Summer.

That watermelon slushy looks good though.

Some years ago Mrs. Mendeleyeva painted this and titled it "Last melon of the season." It is a real honour when extended family invite you over to share their last melon of the season.

The painting is lovely.

Offline ?ManyQuestions?

• Trips: 1-5
« Reply #30 on: August 24, 2014, 08:38:03 PM »

:laugh:
It's funny. But why Hitler??

To tell you the truth, I don't know. Perhaps the person who made the gif envisioned something being held and eaten when Hitler made that hand gesture and was speaking. It is pretty funny, isn't it. I just wish wish I had thought of it first.  ;D

Offline ?ManyQuestions?

« Reply #31 on: August 24, 2014, 08:49:58 PM »
This is the second year I have grown watermelon and all three fruits should be ready by the end of September. It takes a long time for fruit to form from the blossoms and grow to full size. The vines will really start to branch out and be sure to leave plenty of space between other fruits and vegetables so they don't get entangled in the vines.   

Offline ?ManyQuestions?

« Reply #32 on: August 24, 2014, 09:06:40 PM »
Surely I am not the only one who had something pop into his head
that was completely unrelated to fruit. Anna Vyalitsyna

Offline Orchid

• Supporting Member
  • Spouses Country: USA
  • Trips: Resident
« Reply #33 on: August 24, 2014, 11:41:03 PM »

Like many countries, it has various regions..
both good and bad.

its a truly beautiful place, and you shouldn't avoid it ;)
I can not recall just how many times i've been there..but it was always a fantastic time and beautiful and varied scenery.
 Orchid, I thought you'd appreciate photos..
I simply can't sit along this island beach, and not smile.

the water is crystal clear, the *fog* is simply from different water temperatures..as you swim thru it clears completely..
 i can't recall what fish i was pointing out..below ;)

many under ground rivers and caves to snorkel or dive in as well..this one you can swim a few kilometers thru and drops you into the Caribbean sea near a beautiful beach ;)

sorry for  :offtopic:

Do not worry about off topic.
It looks like we all sit at the table, eat watermelon and chat about everything.
I really appreciate the photos.
And you are such a beautiful couple! Everything is in harmony: you and the place...
We should create a RUA calendar 2015 with twelve couples of WM and FSUM.
I would vote for you.
I am planning where to go during my winter break, in January. I asked my husband about Mexico
He said "No. It's too dangerous". :(
May be I will buy a tour and go there with a tourist company.
Your pictures and descriptions are so attractive!
How did you do pictures under water?

Offline Orchid

• Supporting Member
« Reply #34 on: August 24, 2014, 11:45:52 PM »

Is it watermelon??????????
Do they grow it for chipmunks?

Offline Orchid

• Supporting Member
« Reply #35 on: August 24, 2014, 11:50:39 PM »

To tell you the truth, I don't know. Perhaps the person who made the gif envisioned something being held and eaten when Hitler made that hand gesture and was speaking. It is pretty funny, isn't it. I just wish wish I had thought of it first.  ;D

Yes, it's funny. I have never thought that it could be the best way to make a dictator look ridiculous.

Offline Orchid

• Supporting Member
« Reply #36 on: August 24, 2014, 11:54:47 PM »
This is the second year I have grown watermelon and all three fruits should be ready by the end of September. It takes a long time for fruit to form from the blossoms and grow to full size. The vines will really start to branch out and be sure to leave plenty of space between other fruits and vegetables so they don't get entangled in the vines.   

OK. Tomorrow I will take picture for you what is in my garden.
Let's do garden competition next year.
We will plant the same fruits and vegetables and compare who will do better...

Offline Orchid

• Supporting Member
« Reply #37 on: August 25, 2014, 12:00:59 AM »

Another funny thing.....
At some point I could not see a difference between breasts and buttocks...
Did I say it again? I need a personal moderator.....  :innocent:

Offline Annushka

« Reply #38 on: August 25, 2014, 12:02:04 AM »

Yes, it's funny. I have never thought that it could be the best way to make a dictator to look ridiculous.

I see Hitler choke berry - watermelon!  :chuckle:

Offline Orchid

• Supporting Member
« Reply #39 on: August 25, 2014, 12:04:34 AM »
Annushka, do you grow watermelons in your dacha?

Offline Annushka

« Reply #40 on: August 25, 2014, 12:15:09 AM »
In Soviet times there was collective labor help. I was lucky enough to be harvesting watermelons. It looks like this. Two girls are top of the car, around the board. Men throw watermelons below. How to play volleyball. By the end of the day I was flying with a watermelon to the other side of the machine. The award was at quenching thirst - juicy flesh watermelon, seedless.  :-*

The classic way to collect watermelons - throwing of their chain.

Offline Annushka

« Reply #41 on: August 25, 2014, 12:29:59 AM »
Annushka, do you grow watermelons in your dacha?

Привет, моя девочка. :KISSSS: Пишу по-русски, чтобы ты не расслаблялась.  :happygirl1:
Ты же помнишь советскую компанию:"Всем по 6 соточек". Когда родители привезли меня из Архангельска на строительство Волжская ГЭС, они также получили участок - дача. Да, в начале были посадки из арбузов и дынь. Затем, когда подросли фруктовые  деревья и кустарники, мы покупаем с полей. Арбузы и дыни любят солнце! Много света и тепла.  tiphat

Offline AJ

« Reply #42 on: August 25, 2014, 09:49:07 AM »

:) They are about the size of a grape..
I cant recall the name,,but its popular.

They do not taste like watermelon,just look like it.
They have their own unique taste,,but they taste most like a fresh cucumber,,that you perhaps have put some little lime juice on

They use them in salads ..

Offline AJ

« Reply #43 on: August 25, 2014, 10:26:37 AM »
Orchid- As far as safety in Mexico.
 I live in the Chicago area, as a general rule its quite a safe place to live or visit.In my town i easily leave my car unlocked, and home as well, no one has every bothered anything in more than a decade.
However certain areas  of this region, a person should avoid,and would not be safe.

So like my own region, Mexico is similar.
 There are areas i would certainly avoid.,as there are quite dangerous places,,
 yet it is a large country , and there are many areas that are as safe ,or  safer, than my quiet home town :)

I have been all over that country,but the area i like most currently is the riviera maya region,, around playa del carmen and just south.
There are large gated resort communities, and it is quite safe there.
 Certainly as safe as visiting as a tourist in large US city like NYC, Chicago or NYC.
Anyway this area has some fantastic resorts, eco parks,zoos, great snorkeling and scuba diving,cozumal island is a short ferry ride away..etc etc. Its about an hour south of Cancun international airport and most vacation packages include airfare, all inclusive room /meals/food and drinks included as well as round trips shuttle from the airport. *shrugs*
This is one place that very nice,,many many others along same resort *row*
http://www.riurivieramaya.com/
A few local attractions near playa del carmen:
http://www.xelha.com/

http://www.xcaret.com/
(we have stayed in the resort next door to this park several times:
http://www.occidentalhotels.com/resort/occidental-grand-xcaret/photos-and-videos)
There are old Mayan pyramids in the region also
the island tours of isla mujeres and isla contoy are nice as well.

Cancun is popular destination,with many resorts as well..but  to me more of a *party*, college kids beach area , so i prefer to go a bit south of there :)

I sound like a travel agent..lol
 :chuckle:

Offline AJ

« Reply #44 on: August 25, 2014, 10:31:51 AM »
Underwater photos were from a waterproof camera.. those arnt very good examples, i should upload some better ones..
 my wife is the photographer and has in her lap top most of the good photos..lol

it was this camera,,not an expensive one,but worked pretty well
http://store.panasonic.com/shop/model/DMC-TS25A?sc_mc=pla_google_cov_imaging_dmc-ts25a_08132014_pla&sc_mc=sem_google_cov_other_all-products_0415014_pla&kpid=DMC-TS25A

Online 2tallbill

• Trips: 10-20
« Reply #45 on: August 25, 2014, 11:22:58 AM »
Another funny thing.....

As a man who loves both breasts and popkas and of course you know
I am always willing to help. Breasts are infinitely softer and less firm
than a proper popka.

Here is an example of soft natural breasts

A properly formed popka is much more firm

;D
FSUW are not for entry level daters. FSUW don't do vague FSUW like a man of action so be a man of action  If you find a promising girl, get your butt on a plane. There are a hundred ways to be successful and a thousand ways to f#ck it up
Kiss the girl, don't ask her first.
Get an apartment not a hotel. DON'T recycle girls

Offline Larry

« Reply #46 on: August 25, 2014, 03:59:28 PM »
Another funny thing.....

As a man who loves both breasts and popkas and of course you know
I am always willing to help. Breasts are infinitely softer and less firm
than a proper popka...

A properly formed popka is much more firm

;D

Firm like those of the beauties you posted on this thread

http://ruadventures.com/forum/index.php?topic=21489.msg376571;topicseen#msg376571

Here is a fine example:

Offline Donhollio

« Reply #47 on: August 25, 2014, 09:31:47 PM »
  They once sold those square melons here, asking price was $50, not sure if any sold. They are grown within a plastic sleeve, that's all they do ,and for this we're suppose to go all gaga, and drop $50 on one. Had the price been normal, it would of been good for the producer as they could ship more of them in a truck. I haven't seem them in stores in almost a decade.

Mendy one day while roasting at some resort outside of Tashkent, I saw a family also on the beach with a melon. The man was preparing to cut it up, and it was quite the production!
 First sizing up the melon, tapping it as if trying to get a pulse, spinning it a few times to gauge where to make the first cut, and finally slapping the blade on the table...er stool & plunging the wickedly flimsy long knife into the heart of the beast! I swear the guy must of thought he was Hercule's slicing and dicing all the while the family looked on. I'm sure they were no doubt salivating at his greatness, and the ensuing mouthwatering delight that awaits them! 

Why is it we in the west just don't get all pumped up full of excitement over fruit like they in the FSU do?

Offline Annushka

« Reply #48 on: August 26, 2014, 12:21:55 AM »

This Russian gooseberries!  :)

Offline Larry

« Reply #49 on: August 26, 2014, 07:53:01 AM »
  Why is it we in the west just don't get all pumped up full of excitement over fruit like they in the FSU do?

I suppose different lands get excited over different things.  I would get a lot more excited over some nice Russian melons than I would over this Cambodian delicacy:

Cambodian rat meat: A growing export market

A unique harvest is under way in the rice fields of Cambodia where tens of thousands of wild rats are being trapped alive each day to feed a growing export market for the meat of rural rodents.

Popularly considered a disease-carrying nuisance in many societies, the rice field rats, Rattus argentiventer, of this small South-East Asian nation are considered a healthy delicacy due to their free-range lifestyle and largely organic diet.

Rat-catching season reaches its height after the rice harvest in June and July when rats have little to eat in this part of rural Kompong Cham province, some 60km from the capital Phnom Penh.

That lack of food coincides with seasonal rains that force the rodents onto higher ground, and into the 120 rat traps local farmer Chhoeun Chhim, 37, said he set each evening.

"Wild rats are very different. They eat different food," said Mr Chhim, explaining with a gourmand's intensity the difference between rice-field rats and their urban cousins, which he considers vermin unfit for the cooking pot.

Common rats "are dirty and they have a lot of scabies on their skin," Mr Chhim said. "That's why we don't catch them."

Somewhat proudly he listed off the superior eating habits of the rats he had caught the night before: rice stalks, the vegetable crops of unlucky local farmers, and the roots of wild plants.

'Tastes like pork'

On a good night, he can catch up to 25kg of rats.

"After the harvest season the rats don't have much food to eat, so it is a good time to catch them," he said, unloading his motorcycle of several large, steel cages filled with rats at the home of the local rat trader.

Though rat meat tastes "a bit like pork," Mr Chhim said it was not really his preferred meal.

"We sell the rats for money and buy fish instead," said Chin Chon, 36, another rat catcher as he dropped off several more packed cages to be weighed, graded and repacked for export.

All of their catch, which amounted to 200kg of noisy, squealing rats on a recent morning, is exported exclusively to Vietnam.

Rat meat can be grilled, fried, boiled in a soup or minced up in a pate, said Chheng An, 22, as he prepared his motorcycle for the four-hour journey over bumpy, dusty roads to deliver the day's batch to a rat trading post at the Vietnamese border.

"It's a good meat. It can be cooked many ways. Rats are very expensive in Vietnam and very cheap here," he said. He wobbled away on his motorcycle as it struggled under the weight of his teeming cargo.

Booming business
At the height of the rat-catching season, rat trader Saing Sambou, 46, exports up to two tonnes of rats each morning to Vietnam.

In the last 15 years, her business has grown almost tenfold. Rat meat initially sold for less than 20 cents per kg, now she earns $2.50 per kg, and demand for rat meat increases each year.

Like most Cambodians, Mrs Sambou does not commonly eat rat, though she has become a great believer in the meat, which she say is 100% safe for human consumption.

Gesturing to some scrawny specimens of farmyard poultry pecking in the dirt at her feet, Mrs Sambou explained: "I think rats are cleaner than chickens or ducks.

"Rats eat only roots and rice."

Sporting a recent rat bite on his finger, her nine-year-old son, Roeun Chan Mean, likes to steal a snack from his mother's stock every once in awhile.

"Rat liver and thigh are the most delicious," Chan Mean said, while his two pet dogs made their own quick breakfast of a pair of rats who had attempted to escape during the morning export packing process.

Hean Vanhorn, a department chief at the Ministry of Agriculture in Phnom Penh, said the rat meat trade was also helping to protect the country's rice crop.

"Hunting rats for food and sale contributes to preventing damage to rice," he said.

At the Cambodia-Vietnam border crossing in Koh Thom district, Thuong Tuan, 30, sat beneath a tin roof in the morning heat and overpowering stench of rodent odour, efficiently chopping and skinning a batch of large, dark-grey rats.

Reaching into a deep cage, her young helper, Minh, 13, grabbed rat after rat by fleshy tails and, in a fast, swirling wrist-action, dispatched each one against a large rock.

Customers in the nearby Vietnamese town like to buy her biggest rats fresh and ready-to-eat, said Ms Tuan, who is Vietnamese and runs the largest rat-trading operation at this border gate.

"People come from far and wide to buy. They like the big fat ones," she said, comparing her own substantial calf muscle to the size of the rats her Vietnamese customers prefer to buy.

And, of course, Ms Tuan reminded me: "It's more delicious than pork."

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-28863315

Registration