The World's #1 Russian, Ukrainian & Eastern European Discussion & Information Forum - RUA!

This Is the Premier Discussion Forum on the Net for Information and Discussion about Russia, Ukraine, Eastern Europe and the Former Soviet Union. Discuss Culture, Politics, Travelling, Language, International Relationships and More. Chat with Travellers, Locals, Residents and Expats. Ask and Answer Questions about Travel, Culture, Relationships, Applying for Visas, Translators, Interpreters, and More. Give Advice, Read Trip Reports, Share Experiences and Make Friends.

Author Topic: BORAT movie  (Read 2380 times)

Offline Olga_Mouse

• Trips: Resident
BORAT movie
« on: December 06, 2007, 02:22:31 PM »
Watched it on the weekend.

Completely agree to what I've read in one film review before: "Kazakh people have nothing to feel hurt about, as there's nothing even remotely Kazakh in that movie, apart from the main character's last name".

1) Ethnic Kazakhs belong to mongoloid race (for those who got no clue: THEY LOOK LIKE CHINESE!).

2) The country houses, the clothes "fashion" and "on the street" shitting is typically Romanian, but definitely not Kazakh.

3) High level of prostitution is obviously hinting to Moldova, not to Kazakhstan.

4) I am not speaking Kazakh, so maybe there were some Kazakh words used in the movie; anyway, I heard Polish "thank you" (Dziekuje) and Tatar "Come on, let's go" (kil'manda).

5) The sound-track seemed to be influenced much more by Balcan folk music than by Kazakh \ Asian one.

Autopsy: for Americans everything from Romania to Mongolia looks pretty much the same... and it is obviously called "Russia"  :antagonize:
Leaving Russia is not an emigration, rather an evacuation.

Offline Rasputin

• Spouses Country: Russia
  • Trips: 10-20
Re: BORAT movie
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2007, 02:36:04 PM »
Watched it on the weekend.

Completely agree to what I've read in one film review before: "Kazakh people have nothing to feel hurt about, as there's nothing even remotely Kazakh in that movie, apart from the main character's last name".

1) Ethnic Kazakhs belong to mongoloid race (For those who got no clue: LIKE CHINESE!).

The Kazakh origins are a blend of Turkic, Mongol and Indo-Iranian ancestry. The language is at Turkic language and the population can trace its origins back to the spread of the Mongol forces that at the outset featured a Mongol leader (Ghengis Khan born Temujin) who united the nomadic tribes of Mongolia and Central Asia including the Turkic-speaking peoples such as the Tatars and the ancestors of the Kazakhs. 
"Seems I live in Russia Rasputin visited" - Millaa
"So do I" - Molly35ru

Online Markje

• MCMLXXIV
    • Mark's unix pages
  • Spouses Country: Crimea
  • Trips: 20+
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2007, 03:52:54 PM »
I didn't see this movie and i don't plan to  :fighting0004:
OO===[][]===OO
My first trip to my wife: To Evpatoria!
My road trip to Crimea: Roadtrip to Evpatoria

Offline Rasputin

• Trips: 10-20
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2007, 04:42:20 PM »
I didn't see this movie and i don't plan to  :fighting0004:

Actually, it is HILARIOUS! Sure, it is not accurate, but it had me in tears from laughing so hard.
"Seems I live in Russia Rasputin visited" - Millaa
"So do I" - Molly35ru

Offline Jared2151

« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2007, 07:26:49 AM »
Saw it, hated it     :fighting0004:  .... never again will I buy into the hype

Offline mervin

« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2007, 11:57:47 AM »
Yeah, I did not like it much either. Some of it was funny, but by in large I thought it was silly.

:offtopic:

Anyone here seen Night Watch or Day Watch? I saw Night Watch and it was ok. I downloaded Day Watch but I still haven't got to it yet. :)

Offline Olga_Mouse

• Trips: Resident
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2007, 01:24:05 PM »

Anyone here seen Night Watch or Day Watch?

I have...  ::)

I saw Night Watch and it was ok.

OK indeed - but the script is quite different from the original Lukjanenko book... Can't say I like his language & expressive manner (too plain & primitime, IMO) - but the key IDEAS are quite interesting.

I downloaded Day Watch but I still haven't got to it yet. :)

Day Watch has been filmed with the intention to show it not just to the Russian, but international audience as well. Script quite different from the book again. Many hints that I presume only Russians can guess (the juice label, for example... or some characters from the birthday party...)

I wonder if ORT has enough money to film "Twilight watch" and "Last watch", too?

Leaving Russia is not an emigration, rather an evacuation.

Offline Jinx

• Watched
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2007, 01:57:12 PM »
Saw it, hated it     :fighting0004:  .... never again will I buy into the hype

Man, how can you hate Borat? When I saw it in the theatre people were actually crying from laughter, I have never laughed so hard at a movie in all my life, you need to get a sense of humor dude, Borat is friggin hilarious, So is D Ali G, and his other characters from his HBO show.

Offline shakespear

• Supporting Member
« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2007, 02:02:14 PM »
Man, how can you hate Borat? When I saw it in the theatre people were actually crying from laughter, I have never laughed so hard at a movie in all my life, you need to get a sense of humor dude, Borat is friggin hilarious. 

I agree.  I laughed so much it actually hurt.  My two favorite lines are:  1) when he introduces is sister with great pride as "the third best prostitute in all of Kazakhstan" and at the dinner party when he points to all the women saying how he'd like to have sex with them and then points to the old hag and says "you not so much".

Laughing now just thinking about it......
"If you obey all the rules, you miss all the fun" - Katharine Hepburn

Offline windchimes

« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2007, 02:22:32 PM »
My father has seen this movie.  He loved it.  He said I must see it.  He said this after pulling me aside away from my wife.   He said she should not see it, nor should we discuss it with her.

Online Markje

• MCMLXXIV
    • Mark's unix pages
  • Spouses Country: Crimea
« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2007, 05:27:00 PM »
I have seen and loved nightwatch. Gotta get around to day-watch still.
OO===[][]===OO
My first trip to my wife: To Evpatoria!
My road trip to Crimea: Roadtrip to Evpatoria

Offline Peace

« Reply #11 on: December 15, 2007, 06:17:05 PM »
Borat  is humor for 12  year olds  ,  really stupid  , like something that  the creators of  the movie  "superbad "  would of done .

There is nothing funny about tricking people  and having fun with their response  .

That's the kinda shit   your parents are supposed    to teach  you  about  .

Offline sydneyvontrapp

« Reply #12 on: December 15, 2007, 06:38:49 PM »
I have seen and loved nightwatch. Gotta get around to day-watch still.

Hello Markje :
    I enjoyed " Nightwatch " more. I think there is also supposed to be a third movie in this series.

Dave M.

Offline Chris

• Spouses Country: Chernivtsi, Ukraine
« Reply #13 on: December 16, 2007, 02:12:11 AM »
It is said it will be called Dusk or Twilight Watch ? but Final Watch has also been discussed.
Слава Україні