The World's #1 Russian, Ukrainian & Eastern European Discussion & Information Forum - RUA!

This Is the Premier Discussion Forum on the Net for Information and Discussion about Russia, Ukraine, Eastern Europe and the Former Soviet Union. Discuss Culture, Politics, Travelling, Language, International Relationships and More. Chat with Travellers, Locals, Residents and Expats. Ask and Answer Questions about Travel, Culture, Relationships, Applying for Visas, Translators, Interpreters, and More. Give Advice, Read Trip Reports, Share Experiences and Make Friends.

Author Topic: Go to wife or work dilema ?  (Read 16994 times)

Offline Konfushus

• Trips: Resident
Re: Go to wife or work dilema ?
« Reply #50 on: July 06, 2014, 03:19:58 PM »
To Marriedguy,

My wife went through the CR-1 process a few years back. In general, it was straightforward and easy. Two parts were a pain in the ass, dealing with Russian bureaucrats (for my wife) and the wait (for both of us).

As much as I'd like to complain about our lazy government workers, the folks I dealt with during the process were actually friendly, helpful and had quick answers to all my questions.

You will need to deal with the NVC, USCIS and to a small extent the DHS.

Following are my notes for the full process.

Offline Konfushus

« Reply #51 on: July 06, 2014, 03:22:36 PM »
Contacts
Department of State NVC (National Visa Center) (202-663-1225 Press 1:0)
http://travel.state.gov/content/visas/english/immigrate.html
http://travel.state.gov/visa/immigrants/info/info_3195.html

USCIS (US Center for Immigration Services) (1-800-375-5283 Press 1:2:1)
www.uscis.gov

Department of Homeland Security
http://www.dhs.gov/

Step 1: Form I-130 Petition for Alien Relative

1. Cover sheet listing all included documents
2. Form I-130 Petition for Alien Relative of Petitioner
3. Petition Fee (check)
4. Photographs Petitioner: 2 5x5 cm
5. Photographs Beneficiary: 2 5x5 cm
6. Form G-325A of Petitioner
7. Form G-325A of Beneficiary
8. Passport Petitioner: scanned
9. Passport Beneficiary: scanned copy and translation
10. Birth Certificate Beneficiary: scanned copy and translation
11. Marriage Certificate: scanned with Apostille and certified English translation
12. Translator's Certificate: Document from certified translator stating the translator has knowledge and authorization to translate official documents
13. Form G-1145, E-Notification of Application and Petition Acceptance
14. Evidence of Relationship:

Three affidavits (short letters) affirmed by third parties having personal knowledge of them marital relationship
Certified English translation of the above.

Photographs of the Petitioner and Beneficiary to demonstrate and support their relationship status
(6 photos spanning 6 months + small album of wedding photos)

-- Wait For Notice of Action (Petition Received and in Processing) --

-- Wait For Petition Approval --

Step 2: Immigrant Visa Application Process

Establish Communication and Register an Address and Agent
1. Choice of Address and Agent Form

Pay Fees (http://travel.state.gov/content/visas/english/immigrate/immigrant-process/documents/fees.html)
1. Affidavit of Support Fee
2. Application Processing Fee

Establish Financial Support
1. Form I-864 Affidavit of Support
2. Copy of most recent Federal Tax Return (Optional past 3 years).
3. Evidence of assets including home or real estate appraisal or bank statements.

Submit Visa Application & Supporting Documents
2. Form DS-230 Application For Immigrant Visa and Alien Registraion
3. Photographs Beneficiary: 2 5x5 cm
4. Passport Beneficiary: scanned
5. Birth Certificate Beneficiary: scanned copy and translation
6. Marriage Certificate: scanned with Apostille and certified English translation
7. Police certificate: original, scanned copy and translation.
8. Translator's certificate

-- Wait for scheduled medical exam and interview --

Step 3: Medical Exam and Interview
1. Attend medical exam as scheduled
2. Attend interview
3. File SS5 Application for Social Security

Step 4: Welcome to America!
Upon arrival, beneficiary will have a valid green card (stamped in passport) and active social security number.

Cards arrive in the mail after a few weeks, but you can phone your local social security office to obtain your wife's number. You can also go to a local office to obtain an official note with the number if needed.

-- Wait 21 months --

Step 5: Removal of Conditions
1. Form 1-751 Removal of Conditions
2. Removal of Conditions Fee

Offline Turboguy

• Spouses Country: Russia
  • Trips: 20+
« Reply #52 on: July 06, 2014, 03:28:19 PM »
The embassy officials all speak and read both Ukrainian and English.   I don't think it would be necessary to have the letters translated into English.   My son is dealing with the same issue and that was the best route that he found. 

Most people doing a CR-1/IR-1 are in the same boat and with the couples not living together and the foreign spouse not having a SS # they most likely rarely find couples who have utility bills, bank accounts, and property in both names.  I don't think you will find it to be an issue. 

We have another long weekend coming up in about 7 weeks.   

Offline sashathecat

• Spouses Country: Ukraine baby!
  • Trips: 5-10
« Reply #53 on: July 06, 2014, 03:32:13 PM »

+1

That's what my wife and I did. Every chance I had to squeeze in a trip I took it. Even if it meant flying across the Atlantic for just two days to spend some time together.

Offline Konfushus

« Reply #54 on: July 06, 2014, 03:44:53 PM »
A few notes....

My wife officially changed her last name on all documents (passports, driver's license, bank accounts, property paper) prior to starting the visa process. This was the biggest hassle for her and is not a necessary step.

I met my wife on a business trip, then returned to spend two months with her in her hometown before our wedding. Because of our situation we opted to provide 3 affidavits from my wife's friends and relatives instead of other supporting evidence, in addition to photos of us together. None of our photos together were in any notable location. They were just photos at home and of our wedding.

Many applicants provide phone records, Skype history or emails as evidence. If you have this, it's wise to include it.

We did not co-mingle any accounts until she arrived in the US. There was no reason to do so.

I'm self employed so I spent more than half of the waiting period in Russia with my wife.

The year we married my net income was 0 because I had started an expensive project. I opted to provide evidence of assets instead of income, which was simple enough.

During the waiting period, my wife came to the US on a tourist visa. The tourist visa is considered a separate process and I was told by representatives at all three departments listed above that it has no bearing on the immigrant visa. She qualified for this visa independant of her marriage to me and the pending immigrant visa.

I spent about 30 minutes looking at the visa journey site before figuring out that if I had any questions I should just ask each agency directly. They know!

Now that I've saved you the lawyer fees, you can mail me $1000 with a 'thank you' card.

You're welcome!

Offline marriedguy

« Reply #55 on: July 06, 2014, 05:19:57 PM »
You said you showed assets, are they ok with showing assets ? How much amount worth of assets need to be shown, for them to approve.

Thanks so much  :)

A few notes....

My wife officially changed her last name on all documents (passports, driver's license, bank accounts, property paper) prior to starting the visa process. This was the biggest hassle for her and is not a necessary step.

I met my wife on a business trip, then returned to spend two months with her in her hometown before our wedding. Because of our situation we opted to provide 3 affidavits from my wife's friends and relatives instead of other supporting evidence, in addition to photos of us together. None of our photos together were in any notable location. They were just photos at home and of our wedding.

Many applicants provide phone records, Skype history or emails as evidence. If you have this, it's wise to include it.

We did not co-mingle any accounts until she arrived in the US. There was no reason to do so.

I'm self employed so I spent more than half of the waiting period in Russia with my wife.

The year we married my net income was 0 because I had started an expensive project. I opted to provide evidence of assets instead of income, which was simple enough.

During the waiting period, my wife came to the US on a tourist visa. The tourist visa is considered a separate process and I was told by representatives at all three departments listed above that it has no bearing on the immigrant visa. She qualified for this visa independant of her marriage to me and the pending immigrant visa.

I spent about 30 minutes looking at the visa journey site before figuring out that if I had any questions I should just ask each agency directly. They know!

Now that I've saved you the lawyer fees, you can mail me $1000 with a 'thank you' card.

You're welcome!

Offline marriedguy

« Reply #56 on: July 06, 2014, 05:21:41 PM »
Yes, I am going to look for plane tickets now  :)

The embassy officials all speak and read both Ukrainian and English.   I don't think it would be necessary to have the letters translated into English.   My son is dealing with the same issue and that was the best route that he found. 

Most people doing a CR-1/IR-1 are in the same boat and with the couples not living together and the foreign spouse not having a SS # they most likely rarely find couples who have utility bills, bank accounts, and property in both names.  I don't think you will find it to be an issue. 

Offline Konfushus

« Reply #57 on: July 06, 2014, 05:58:00 PM »
In order to qualify based on the value of your assets, the total value of your assets must equal at least five times the difference between your total household income and the current poverty guidelines for your household size.

Currently poverty guidelines - http://aspe.hhs.gov/poverty/14poverty.cfm
$15,730 for a two person household.

So $76,850 in assets if your income is 0, which can include the value of your home.

It sounds like you made more than the required minimum the last three years though, so you wouldn't need to list your assets.

It's all detailed here - http://www.uscis.gov/sites/default/files/files/form/i-864instr.pdf

I recommend you read through the instructions at the NVC and USCIS, download the forms and instructions and familiarize yourself with the whole process. It's not that much to go through. (We sat down together and prepared almost everything in one afternoon).

Offline marriedguy

« Reply #58 on: July 10, 2014, 07:22:35 PM »
Do I need to get Apostille for my Wife's birth certificate also, or only for marriage certificate.

Offline Konfushus

« Reply #59 on: July 11, 2014, 12:56:09 AM »
Just the marriage certificate.

Each step is outlined clearly on the website and each form comes with simple instructions. When in doubt, don't hesitate to send an email or phone (email is preferable as then you have a written copy to refer to).

Offline Ukrainelovesyou

• Commercial Member
« Reply #60 on: July 16, 2014, 03:48:44 AM »
I got married to my wife who is from Ukraine, this was my third trip there, I was there for 2 weeks, we decided to get married. The day after our marriage, I left back to the States.

I felt really guilty leaving her, the day after our marriage :(.

I do not have much vacations at work, I am applying for her visa for her to come back here.

But she is crying every day, saying she misses me and wants me to come live with her in Ukraine.

I do not know what to do, leave here , quit the job and live with her, with not much money in savings.

Well that means I cannot apply for her to come here.

I am in a tough situation, don't know how other people manage long distance relationships.

I know family comes first then Job.

I do not know what to do   :'( should i go and live with her in Ukraine ?

I think it is no future in Ukraine for you and for your wife if you come to live here. You should find ways to take her in USA, in Ukraine lots of companies can help you with such problem. Search in the internet- maybe you can find another way take her in USA?

Offline GriffinCO

• Trips: 1-5
« Reply #61 on: July 24, 2014, 08:00:07 PM »
2 Questions:

1.  Were you former Active Duty Military by any chance?  According to BK you could expedite the process significantly.

2.  If you're an IT geek, why don't you just get a remote position?  I'm an IT Project Manager and know that those jobs are a plenty in the industry.  Do that and live over there for 2 weeks or 2 months at a time (in a safe place, I hope.)

Cheers,
J

Offline marriedguy

« Reply #62 on: August 29, 2014, 09:04:15 PM »
I am not a Active Duty Military.

Yes that is what is my plan is now, to work 2 weeks in a month. things will be much easier that way.

2 Questions:

1.  Were you former Active Duty Military by any chance?  According to BK you could expedite the process significantly.

2.  If you're an IT geek, why don't you just get a remote position?  I'm an IT Project Manager and know that those jobs are a plenty in the industry.  Do that and live over there for 2 weeks or 2 months at a time (in a safe place, I hope.)

Cheers,
J

Offline marriedguy

« Reply #63 on: August 29, 2014, 09:05:55 PM »

I got my marriage certificate translated and apostilled, should i send the original translated pages or a copy of this is fine for i-130 ?

Contacts
Department of State NVC (National Visa Center) (202-663-1225 Press 1:0)
http://travel.state.gov/content/visas/english/immigrate.html
http://travel.state.gov/visa/immigrants/info/info_3195.html

USCIS (US Center for Immigration Services) (1-800-375-5283 Press 1:2:1)
www.uscis.gov

Department of Homeland Security
http://www.dhs.gov/

Step 1: Form I-130 Petition for Alien Relative

2. Form I-130 Petition for Alien Relative of Petitioner
3. Petition Fee (check)
4. Photographs Petitioner: 2 5x5 cm
5. Photographs Beneficiary: 2 5x5 cm
6. Form G-325A of Petitioner
7. Form G-325A of Beneficiary
8. Passport Petitioner: scanned
9. Passport Beneficiary: scanned copy and translation
10. Birth Certificate Beneficiary: scanned copy and translation
11. Marriage Certificate: scanned with Apostille and certified English translation
12. Translator's Certificate: Document from certified translator stating the translator has knowledge and authorization to translate official documents
13. Form G-1145, E-Notification of Application and Petition Acceptance
14. Evidence of Relationship:

Three affidavits (short letters) affirmed by third parties having personal knowledge of them marital relationship
Certified English translation of the above.

Photographs of the Petitioner and Beneficiary to demonstrate and support their relationship status
(6 photos spanning 6 months + small album of wedding photos)

-- Wait For Notice of Action (Petition Received and in Processing) --

-- Wait For Petition Approval --

Step 2: Immigrant Visa Application Process

Establish Communication and Register an Address and Agent
1. Choice of Address and Agent Form

Pay Fees (http://travel.state.gov/content/visas/english/immigrate/immigrant-process/documents/fees.html)
1. Affidavit of Support Fee
2. Application Processing Fee

Establish Financial Support
1. Form I-864 Affidavit of Support
2. Copy of most recent Federal Tax Return (Optional past 3 years).
3. Evidence of assets including home or real estate appraisal or bank statements.

Submit Visa Application & Supporting Documents
2. Form DS-230 Application For Immigrant Visa and Alien Registraion
3. Photographs Beneficiary: 2 5x5 cm
4. Passport Beneficiary: scanned
5. Birth Certificate Beneficiary: scanned copy and translation
6. Marriage Certificate: scanned with Apostille and certified English translation
7. Police certificate: original, scanned copy and translation.
8. Translator's certificate

-- Wait for scheduled medical exam and interview --

Step 3: Medical Exam and Interview
1. Attend medical exam as scheduled
2. Attend interview
3. File SS5 Application for Social Security

Step 4: Welcome to America!
Upon arrival, beneficiary will have a valid green card (stamped in passport) and active social security number.

Cards arrive in the mail after a few weeks, but you can phone your local social security office to obtain your wife's number. You can also go to a local office to obtain an official note with the number if needed.

-- Wait 21 months --

Step 5: Removal of Conditions
1. Form 1-751 Removal of Conditions
2. Removal of Conditions Fee

Registration