The World's #1 Russian, Ukrainian & Eastern European Discussion & Information Forum - RUA!

This Is the Premier Discussion Forum on the Net for Information and Discussion about Russia, Ukraine, Eastern Europe and the Former Soviet Union. Discuss Culture, Politics, Travelling, Language, International Relationships and More. Chat with Travellers, Locals, Residents and Expats. Ask and Answer Questions about Travel, Culture, Relationships, Applying for Visas, Translators, Interpreters, and More. Give Advice, Read Trip Reports, Share Experiences and Make Friends.

Author Topic: ECR844's Russia Photos: Warning Thread may contain Graphic Images for some!!!  (Read 15399 times)

Offline ECR844

• Searching for the word I will become
  • Trips: Resident
Hello Everyone,

Here are some photos that I have from my personal collection. I thought I would share them with the group. These for now are in no particular order. Also this thread will be ongoing and there will be new content added as time permits.

Memorial

Russian Ceremonial Honor Guard

Beslan

In Honor of all those innocents who lost their lives and those who did so honorably while trying to protect them.

Andrey Velko
Oleg Ilyin
Roman Katasonov
Mikhail Kuznetsov
Oleg Loskov
Vyacheslav Malyarov
Aleksandr Perov
Denis Pudovkin
Dmitri Razymovskiy
Andrei Turkin

Lets remember today

On this day September 3rd, 2004 while saving innocent people from a tragic event, Alpha and Vympel lost their brothers.

WE WILL NEVER FORGET THEM

Major Alexander Perov
FSB "ALPHA"

Died when grenade was about to blow, he covered three hostages with his own body. Has been mortally wounded but carried on leading his groups' actions for some more time.

Warrant Officer Oleg Los'kov
FSB "ALPHA"

Got in fight with four bandits, who tried to escape from school under the shelter of hostages. Covered hostages with his body, blocked terrorists' way to escape. Being mortally wounded, carried on fighting.

Major Vyacheslav Malyarov
FSB "ALPHA"

When he was inside the building, covered with his body the direction of firing from the bandits, aimed at the room where hostages were gathered. Being mortally wounded, carried on fighting.

Major Andrey Vel'ko

"VIMPEL"

Got in a gun-fight with terrorist and annihilated him.
Has suffered multiple mortal wounds, covering the hostages.

Lieutenant Andrey Turkin
"VIMPEL"

Annihilated the bandit right at the entry of the building,what allowed assault group to enter the room where about 250 hostages were gathered. Covered the grenade that was thrown by a terrorist right into the hostages' crowd with his body.

Warrant Officer Denis Pudovkin
"VIMPEL"

When the medical help was served to the hostages, got into a gun-fight with suddenly appeared bandit. Covering a woman with his body, annihilated the terrorist, but also perished himself.

Lieutenant-colonel Dmitry Razumovsky
"VIMPEL"

Has noticed new terrorists' weapon emplacement, and been drawing the enemy's fire to himself, burst into the room from where the terrorists were firing at the children. Has been mortally wounded rescuing the hostages.

Major Mikhail Kuznetsov
"VIMPEL"

Rescued more than 20 wounded hostages during the operation. Covering assault group, got into a gun-fight with two bandits, annihilated them, but also perished himself.

Lieutenant Colonel Oleg Il'in
"VIMPEL"

Covered escaping children and wounded rescuer from EMERCOM of Russia, drew enemy's fire to himself. Suffered shrapnel wound. At the cost of his life saved assault group member's lives and ensured annihilation of the rest of the bandits.

Major Roman Katasonov
"VIMPEL"

Found two children hiding in one of the rooms. Rescuing them charged bandit's machine-gun team, got mortally wounded.

в жестоком бою защищая детей,
дарили им жизнь позабыв о своей.
если кто знает английский лучше моего переводчика, то поправьте.

It is beautifully told.
In severe to fight protecting children
Gave them a life having forgotten about the

Terroroists Dead in aftermath of Beslan

The New Martyr Soldier Evgeny of Chechnya (1984-2002)
Canonized on August 20th the day of his martyrdom

I found this when I was in Moscow, just about every parish bookstall had a Xeroxed notice about a young soldier named Evgeny, who had been captured by the Chechnens along with five of his buddies.

Chechnens promised to spare the young Russians their lives if they converted to Islam. The others agreed, but Evgeny refused, insisting that he was an Orthodox Christian. The Chechnens beheaded him and subsequently sent his severed head to his mother as a sort of memento. This young lad had been recognized everywhere as a (Moscow & environs, Sergiev Posad, Murom, Diveevo, Arzamas) martyr, in a spontaneous, popular movement of piety. His picture was everywhere, usually with the caption "Martyred Soldier Evgeny". He was martyred on his 18th birthday, 6 months after he started his service.

Chechnen field commander Rusland Haihoroev beheaded Evgeny, after Evgeny denied conversion to Islam and refused to give up his cross (which by the way was part of the medal for bravery). Many months his mother searched for his body, and finally after paying $500, was shown the forest where he was buried. She found the bodies of 4 more boys along with his. A giant wooden cross has since been erected on his grave. His own cross, the one that he refused to give up, his mother, Lubov Radionova, has donated to St. Nicholas Church in Ordinka, Moscow.

The New Martyr Evgeny the Soldier was canonized on August 20th. A Church in his name is to be build in Hankala, near Groziniy. It will be the only Orthodox Church in Chechnya.

Source: Orthodox Heritage. The Greek Orthodox Brotherhood of St. Poimen. Florence, Arizona. Volume 01, Issue 1 January 2003 p. 4.

For more information about the martyrdom of St. Evgeny, visit http://english.pravda.ru/society/2003/01/08/41724.html
Russian Soldier Goes Through Chechen Captivity Hell

Evgeny Rodionov,19 years old, did not lose his faith despite horrible tortures

The Chechen captivity is the most horrid, the most inhuman and barbaric thing that can ever happen, says Evgeny-s mother. She had to survive hell to find her son, the body of her son, to be more precise. Evgeny-s death coincided with his 19th birthday. Evgeny-s mother, Lubov, was a little late: she was just seven kilometers far from the place of her son-s execution.

Evgeny was born 30 minutes after midnight on May 23, 1977. His delivery was not hard. He was a good and healthy child, his weight was 3900 grams. I was so relieved, when I heard his first cry. As if he was trying to say: ?I came into this world, love me!¦ I incidentally looked at the window. It was dark outside, and I suddenly saw a falling star. I went pale, my heart turned to a cold small piece. Doctors tried to convince me that it was a good sign. They told me that a falling star was a sign of good life for my baby. However, I had to live with a sense of something dangerous coming over us. Time made me forget about it, but I had to remember the sign in 19 years.¦

The Russian patriotic press has already reported about the deed of a 19-year-old Russian soldier, Evgeny Rodionov. This young man found himself in the Chechen captivity in 1996. He did not betray either his fatherland or his faith. He did not take off his cross even at the hardest moment of beastly tortures. The state decorated Evgeny with the Order of Courage. People-s donations made it possible to put a two-meter high Orthodox cross on his grave. People come to visit his grave from most distant parts of Russia. His mother, Lubov Rodionova, says that people-s attitude changed her entire awareness of life. A WWII veteran once came to visit Evgeny-s grave. He took off his military decoration v the Bravery Medal v and put in on the tombstone.

Evgeny Rodionov-s biography was published in a book that came out in 2002. The book was called ?The New Martyr of Christ, Warrior Evgeny.¦ This is not really a book, but a booklet, which was written by priest Alexander Shargunov. However, we know little about Evgeny-s inmost thoughts, feelings, emotions, or what he had to go through during three months of the Chechen hell. A lot of things remain a mystery. Lubov Rodionova shared her thoughts with the priest about her son-s childhood, his interests at school, his attitude to the military service. She also shared her most horrible thoughts v about the news of his alleged desertion from the army, and what followed that news afterwards.

Eighteen-year-old Evgeny Rodionov was taken captive with three other soldiers at night of February 14th, not far from the Chechen settlement of Galashki. The guys arrived from the Kaliningrad region. They patrolled the border between the republics of Chechnya and Ingushetia. Their control and registration post was located some 200 meters far from the security detachment. The post was just a small cabin, without any light or wire communication. The cabin did not even have a military support, in spite of the fact that it was a single cabin on the mountainous road, which was used for carrying weapons, ammunition, captives, drugs and so on. The border guards stopped an ambulance vehicle to check it. More than ten armed Chechens got out of the vehicle. Needless to mention that it was very easy for them to cope with young inexperienced soldiers. The guys showed as much resistance as they could, but the outcome of the fight was evident before it even started. Lubov Rodionova believes that this incident happened over officers- negligence, basically. ?The captivity has always been considered to be the most horrible thing that can ever happen to a person. It implies no freedom, but only tortures and humiliation. Experience showed that the Chechen captivity is the most horrid, the most inhuman and barbaric thing that can ever happen,¦ Lubov Rodionova believes.

As soon as she learned that her son was a captive of Chechen guerrillas, she started looking for him all over Chechnya for nine months. She had to go through every horror imaginable. ?I think that God was watching over me. I was walking along mined roads, but I did not step on a bomb. He protected me from bombings, he did not let me die, because my duty was to find my son, to bury him on his native land, according to Christian traditions. I have realized that recently. When I was walking along those military roads, I just kept silence, praying to God in my heart.¦

Chechen bandits murdered Evgeny Rodionov on May 23, 1996 in the Chechen settlement of Bamut. Russian troops occupied the village the next day. Lubov Rodionova learned about her son-s death only in September. She had to put a mortgage on her own apartment in order to find Evgeny-s body and to take it away along with the bodies of his murdered friends. A Chechen man agreed to show her the place, where Evgeny was buried. She had to pay him a lot of money for that. ?When I came to Chechnya in the middle of February, a living private cost ten million rubles. This price was 50 million in August. A friend of mine was told to pay 250 million rubles for her son, since he was an officer. It was nighttime, when I and some sappers were digging the pit, in which the bodies of four Russian soldiers were thrown. I was praying all the time, hoping that my Evgeny was not going to be there. I could not and did not want to believe that he was murdered. When we were taking out the remnants, I recognized his boots. However, I still refused to accept the fact of his death, until someone found his cross. Then I fainted.¦

Evgeny Rodionov was murdered by Ruslan Khaikhoroyev. This bandit confessed that himself. ?Your son had a choice to stay alive. He could convert to Islam, but he did not agree to take his cross off. He also tried to escape once,¦ said Khaikhoroyev. The guerrilla was killed together with his bodyguards on August 23, 1999 in a fight between armed Chechen groups. When Lubov Rodionova came back home, Evgeny-s father died five days after the funeral. He could not stand the loss of his son.

Archpriest Dmitry Smirnov, acting chairman of the Moscow Patriarchy department for cooperation with the Armed Forces, says that Evgeny Rodionov will definitely be canonized. The adequate inquiry has already been made, although more information about Evgeny's fate is needed. Father Dmitry said that Evgeny would be canonized as soon as the information was collected.

A sign in memory of the brave Russian border guard was put at the entrance to the school, where he studied. There was also a documentary released about him. The writings on Evgeny-s grave cross run: ?Russian soldier Evgeny Rodionov is buried here. He defended his Fatherland and did not disavow Christ. He was executed on May 23, 1996, on the outskirts of Bamut.¦

?We know that he had to go through horrible, long-lasting sufferings that could be compared to the ones of great martyrs in ancient times. They were beheaded, dismembered, but they remained devoted to Jesus Christ anyway,¦ priest Alexander Shargunov said during the requiem in Evgeny Rodionov-s memory.

Moscow cop

Militia Russka

Some Russkas love Bears

Tu-160

IL-76 Candid

MIG-29

MIG-35

Bear

Offline LEGAL

ECR844 Very Very good! As you know Olga and I appreciate art history culture and human emotion.
We all should take a moment to remember and maybe say a prayer for all those less fortunate and thanks for what we have.
Thanks for sharing

Offline ECR844

"Legal,"

Thanks, some of the photos in this thread will abit different from the usual 'tourist' style one s you usually see on a forum of this nature. Nonetheless I still think it is important to share pictures like these so that we all can have a look at many of the things we may not otherwise see, or consider culturally. For me many of them are touching.

I have a pic which I will not post but took in lower Manhattan. It's of a 6yo about 5 days after 9/11, came to the site and  brought his missing father's 'Bunker' coat to the site because he had left a spare at home. This persons son thought it was his primary one and that if he brought it to the site his dad would come home. He stood there all day ( he wouldn't move from the spot or allow his mom to take him away) holding that coat; and asked every FF, LEO, whoever he saw if they had seen his dad because he needed his 'coat' so he could come home..Not a person who spoke to that boy didn't leave without a tear in their eye.

It was something that I didn't know I had until sometime later when I had the pics from that time developed. I can't even think about looking at it without tearing up.... It'll never see the light of day in the public eye as long as I live.

Offline Wiz

• Spouses Country: Russia
  • Trips: 20+
Eric

excellent photos but forgod sake make the size of the photos no more than 640 pixel wide........it completely destroys the width of the thread.

and it also takes ages to download..........

If you can't do it them PM your e-mail and I wil do it for you and send you the new smaller versions to replace these photos.

Rgds
Why the sun does not shine on the Ex- British Empire Anymore? Because God never trusted an Englishman in the dark!

Offline ECR844

Moscow Luxury

Moscow Maps

Moscow

Picnic

Wallpaper

FSB "Alpha" Team

Offline ECR844

VDV "Russian Airborne" Graduation Demo

Moscow Parade

SS-24 ICBM

Moscow church

Presidential Honor Guard

MI-8

MI-6

KA-50

KA-27

MI-28 Havoc

Mi-27 Hind

Blackjack

Backfire

IL-76

Offline mendeleyev

• Spouses Country: Russia
  • Trips: 20+
Some excellent photos!

Offline ECR844

The "Aurora" stars of a Russian combat ace on a MIG29

SU-34 Air refuel pic

MIG-25 Foxbat

The vanguard of the Russian Navies Nuclear deterrence The Typhoon class nuclear ballistic missile sub a "Boomer,"

Offline ECR844

10 points and a great big KUDOS and the "Field Marshal's salute" ( see below) goes to the person who can id these 3 pieces of Soviet era equipment by their nato names and Russian designations..

1.)

2.)

3.) 

For a bonus can anyone give this "Field Marshall's" name?

Offline ECR844

Updated..

Offline ECR844

Does anyone have any guesses as to the 'quiz' above?

More pics to come soon...
ECR844   

Offline ECR844

Hello Everyone,

I recently got a .pdf with some specs on the new SU-35, which I would like to share. The issue is that the file size is to large to upload here. So I made .Jpegs of the pages.
If anyone is interested in a copy of the original PM me and I'll send it to you.

Online andrewfi

• Supporting Member
    • Articles About Almost Anything!
Nice pics.

Dude's name is Kalashnikov. Quite well known as the name behind a brand of vodka. He may have been known for something other than being a bibber but I don't keep up with matters martial.
...everything ends always well; if it’s still bad, then it’s not the end!

Offline ECR844

"andrewfi,"

You are correct for the bonus. The 2 star general pictured is "The General" Mikhail Timoveeich Kalashnikov was born on November 10th, 1919, to a large peasant family in the village of Kurya, high in the Altai Territory of Siberia. After finishing secondary school M T. Kalashnikov went to work in the Matai Depot as an apprentice and technical clerk in the employ of a Turkistan-Siberian Railway. In 1938 M T. Kalashnikov was called up for Red Army, where he finished training as an engineer in the tank mechanical school and where he started designing by creating a revolution counter to register the number of shots from a tank gun, made a special appliance for the "TT" pistol to enhance its effectiveness through tank turret slits and designed a tank running meter.

In June of 1941 Mikhail Timoveeich was ordered by the Commander-in-Chief General Zhukov to Leningrad to implement his inventions. However it was the beginning of The Great Patriotic War and Kalashnikov participated as a tank commander in fierce battles against the Nazis. In October 1941 he was severely wounded and while in hospital, Mikhail Timoveeich conceived a number of designs which, while on a six-month sick leave, he tried in the depot's workshops. So successful were they that, with the support of the Soviet leadership, Kalashnikov was posted to The Moscow Aviation Institute to further his work.

In June 1942 the famous soviet scientist A. A. Blagonravov took an interest in the talented young inventor and made everything available to the self-taught-designer. By 1944 Kalashnikov developed an experimental model of the self-loading carbine; it became the base for a creation of a new gun which in 1946 gained a overall victory in difficult competitive tests. In 1947 the automatic device was adopted by the Soviet Army, known as the AK47, and Staff Sergeant M.T. Kalashnikov was awarded The Stalin Price First Class.

Since 1949 A number of his inventions have been adopted and as such has become the General Designer to the Soviet Army.

In honor of his services to the Soviet Socialists Republic Mikhail T Kalashnikov was given the rank of Colonel and in 1971, as well as becoming an Honorary Doctor of Engineering Science, was further decorated with three Orders of Lenin, The Order of the Red Banner of Labour, The Order of the Great Patriotic War First Class and The Order of the Red Star.

The President of Russia decorated the outstanding designer with The Order for Distinguished Services to the Motherland and promoted him to Major-General on his 75th birthday in 1994. Mikhail T Kalashnikov, now 84, still lives and works at the Chief Designer at the Izhmash Engineering Plant in Izhevsk.

Lieutenant-General Mikhail Timoveeich Kalashnikov who is, at the age of 84, still a serving officer and is the founder and the Honorary Chairman of The Kalashnikov Joint Stock Vodka Co (1947) that makes Kalashnikov Vodka.

AK47 stands for Automatic gun of Kalashnikov 1947. The Red Army adopted it in 1947.

Offline ECR844

Here is a panorama shot of the Moscow skyline from the last day of my trip. It was taken next to the ski jump at a scenic overlook. Not nearly as nice as "Day_Dreamer," but not bad for a point and shoot 6mp...

ila_rendered

This one is a smaller compressed version. the original is 7megs, but the files size limit wouldn't let me post it here.

Offline ECR844

Logan

Zurich

Swiss Alps

DME

Offline ECR844

Voronezh

Offline ECR844

Voronezh Continued

Offline ECR844

Voronezh continued

Offline froid

Great pics.  Really reminds me of my February trip to Penza. :)
Look, we're gonna spend half the night driving around the Hills looking for this one party and you're going to say it sucks and we're all gonna leave and then we're gonna go look for this other party. But all the parties and all the bars, they all suck. <-Same goes for forums!

Offline ECR844

Some pictures of the Yuri  Dolgoruky Russia's latest and greatest ballistic nuclear missile submarine

Offline ECR844

A few from MAKS 2011

For the voyeurs here on the forum that like to look and never get on a plane

VDV Day in Moscow

Offline ECR844

Visual credibility amongst FSU couples not a standard?

ila_rendered

Head turner

ila_rendered