The World's #1 Russian, Ukrainian & Eastern European Discussion & Information Forum - RUA!

This Is the Premier Discussion Forum on the Net for Information and Discussion about Russia, Ukraine, Eastern Europe and the Former Soviet Union. Discuss Culture, Politics, Travelling, Language, International Relationships and More. Chat with Travellers, Locals, Residents and Expats. Ask and Answer Questions about Travel, Culture, Relationships, Applying for Visas, Translators, Interpreters, and More. Give Advice, Read Trip Reports, Share Experiences and Make Friends.

Author Topic: Moscow photos, January 2014  (Read 14474 times)

Offline MrMann

• Spouses Country: Russia
  • Trips: 5-10
Re: Moscow photos, January 2014
« Reply #25 on: June 30, 2014, 04:06:39 AM »
Thanks Orchid.

Offline mendeleyev

• Trips: 20+
« Reply #26 on: June 30, 2014, 12:30:24 PM »
Very, very nice!

In the last set there was the State Historical Museum building (red brick) that you'd visited earlier. This was built on the original site of the first building of Moscow State University and opened as a museum in 1894. It was dedicated to the then-recent coronation of Tsar Aleksander III. I'm glad that you posted those beautiful photos as more visitors to Moscow should make this a part of their Red Square experience.

Address: 1, Red Square, Moscow (lots of folk take photos of the address sign on the corner of the building.)
Metro stations: Okhotny Ryad, Ploshad Revolutsii, Teatralnaya Ploshad.

For readers interested in the buildings on Red Square: in that last photo set was a brightly coloured church. It is at the entry to Red Square, offset behind the State Historical Museum and just across the side street of the GYM (Ghoom) shopping Centre. That is the Kazan Cathedral; not a regular "working church" but open daily for tours and one can light candles and pray. It was torn down on orders of Stalin but rebuilt in 1993. It was constructed at the end of the "Time of Troubles" and dedicated to the Kazan Icon of the Mother of God which was carried by the liberators and credited for helping expel the foreign invaders. Later it's Archpriest would assume leadership of the "Old Believers."

The side street separating the Kazan Cathedral and GYM is Nikolskaya Street, so named because it leads from Lubyanka Square (KGB) to the entrance of the Kremlin's Nicholas Tower. These days it is a pedestrian-only street and filled with small shops and mostly gourmet cafes. In 2013 Russia's first Krispy Kreme donuts opened to lines of youth who waited for hours but Krispy Kreme was ready for them with entertainment and free logo items.

You showed the ancient remaining portion of the walls to Katai-Gorod (China town) at Zaryadye, built in the 1500s, and the city has approved a full restoration to prevent further deterioration. Nikolskaya Street connects these to Red Square. There is still vehicular traffic along the walls but that street will be converted to pedestrian-only just as Nikolskaya was converted in 2012/2013.

Trivia: the beautiful Iberian (Resurrection Gates) main entrance to Red Square was in ancient times a part of that Katai-Gorod wall:

ila_rendered

The red brick building to the right here is the State Historical Museum from Mr. Mann's tour. The building to the left is known as the old Moscow City Hall.

Offline MrMann

« Reply #27 on: June 30, 2014, 01:50:04 PM »
I actually knew that about the Resurrection Gates already. I'm a bit of a castle geek so have an interest in Russian kremlins generally and in particular old Moscow. There are some fantastic drawings in the State Historical Museum showing the many walls which once surrounded Moscow.

I read that the section of wall along Zaryadye was rebuilt (I think possibly also in 1993). Do you happen to know how extensive the rebuilding was?

Offline mendeleyev

« Reply #28 on: June 30, 2014, 02:47:54 PM »
I read that the section of wall along Zaryadye was rebuilt (I think possibly also in 1993). Do you happen to know how extensive the rebuilding was?

Portions were rebuilt 1993-1995 including the addition of a lovely round brick entry tower based on a model that previously existed. The more extensive rebuilding and the complete closing of traffic in those areas has been slowed down due to the need to reconfigure traffic flows to relieve an area that is already congested I'm told.

Offline Ste

• RIP
  • Beware of Muslamic Rayguns
  • Spouses Country: The Planet Zanussi
« Reply #29 on: June 30, 2014, 04:29:50 PM »
Wasn't the resurrection gate demolished to let the May Day parade through during Soviet times? And rebuilt after the fall of the USSR?
O pointy birds, o pointy pointy, Anoint my head, anointy-nointy.

Offline mendeleyev

« Reply #30 on: July 01, 2014, 01:41:12 AM »
Yes, Ste. They were demolished on Stalin's orders but later restored as the Soviet period was drawing to a close.

Offline MrMann

« Reply #31 on: July 01, 2014, 01:42:17 AM »
Quote from: Wikipedia
In 1931, the Resurrection Gate and the chapel were demolished in order to make room for heavy military vehicles driving through Red Square during military parades. Both structures were completely rebuilt in 1994-1996, and a new icon of the Iveron Theotokos was painted on Mount Athos to replace the original.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iberian_Gate_and_Chapel

Offline Ste

• RIP
  • Beware of Muslamic Rayguns
  • Spouses Country: The Planet Zanussi
« Reply #32 on: July 01, 2014, 02:15:58 AM »
Yes, Ste. They were demolished on Stalin's orders but later restored as the Soviet period was drawing to a close.

Call me old fashioned but to me it's not the same gate then - It's a copy...

O pointy birds, o pointy pointy, Anoint my head, anointy-nointy.

Offline MrMann

« Reply #33 on: July 01, 2014, 02:23:04 AM »
I know what you mean.

There are quite a lot of buildings in Moscow pulled down during Stalin's time and rebuilt during the 1990s. While their architecture and history are impressive they're undoubtedly lacking "something" due to being rebuilt.

Offline sharonhaber00

• If you call it "Avatar", let it be Avatar...
  • Spouses Country: Israel
  • Trips: 1-5
« Reply #34 on: July 05, 2014, 02:19:36 PM »
Millaa!
You daughter is soooooooo beautiful!!!
Looking at her I forgot about Moscow and NY together.
I feel sorry for gentlemen. I think they forgot their names....

Indeed.
Nadie no sabe lo que tiene hasta el día que lo pierde.

Registration