Information & Chat > FSU Culinary, Restaurants & Night Life

Etiquette & Entertaining & RU cooking

(1/9) > >>

ForgeMaster:
Moderator's note: This is an exciting opportunity as we build this section together to enjoy sharing recipes and memories of favourites.  While the title says Russian and Ukrainian, please don't think it limited to only those Republics from the FSU.  There are also many Moldovan, Romanian, Uzbek and other dishes that can be shared!

Just for consistency, let's try to keep types of foods together....main dishes with main dishes, salads with salads, desserts with desserts, etc.  In that vein, I've merged Anastassia's excellent carrot salad (it's great!) with an earlier salad posting by Rasputin.

Hopefully this will be a fun part of the forum for each reader and poster!

Spices/Seasonings:
Forgemaster: My wife uses a lot of dill and some hot pepper things, but she comes up with some tastes I have never experienced.  What other spices are common in Russia?  Maybe I should ask for both the English and Cyrillic spellings.   

Much of the challenge in going to another place is finding what you used at home.  For example, my wife was told that mayonnaise was the American version of sour cream.  She was putting mayonnaise in everything for the first 4-5 months she was here until we were going to get some eggs and she asked what was in the cottage cheese-like containers.  It was like she fell in love with America again for the first time!! 

Anyway, what spices do Russians use?

P.S.  The taste of sour cream.........priceless!!!  :-*

Olga:
Khmeli Suneli is a traditional Georgian spicy herbs mixture  and very popular in Russia.

Among the herbs and spices used in khmeli suneli are: coriander, dill, basil, bay leaf, marjoram, fenugreek, parsley, saffron, black pepper, celery, thyme, hyssop, mint, and hot pepper.

Olga:
I like dill. Especially I like to eat it fresh m-m-m

The herb dill (Anethum graveolens) has medicinal effects.

Origin, History, and Mythology: Dill originally came from Southeast Asia and India, although some herbalists assign its word origin to the Norse "dilla", meaning "to lull." According to Dioscurides, ancient Greeks used dill to flavor wine and in the preparation of the "anethinon myron" and the "anthinon wine". Ancient Greek and Roman soldiers used dill as a medicinal herb, by placing burned dill seeds on their wounds to promote healing. In Medieval Europe, dill could not be grown fast enough to satisfy consumer demand for its uses in love potions, for casting spells and for protection against witchcraft. Carrying a bag of dried dill over the heart was considered protection against hexes.

ForgeMaster:
  I tried growing dill on the deck this summer.  I am bereft of my garden plot.  The resulting tall sprigs have been the cause of my ridicule all summer.  Your pot is much more dense.  I will try that next summer. 

thanks.

Rasputin:

--- Quote from: ForgeMaster on November 29, 2007, 02:42:49 PM ---  I tried growing dill on the deck this summer.  I am bereft of my garden plot.  The resulting tall sprigs have been the cause of my ridicule all summer.  Your pot is much more dense.  I will try that next summer. 

thanks.

--- End quote ---

We tried growing dill, but with no success. However, I was told that there are two types of dill: one for canning and one for eating fresh.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version