The World's #1 Russian, Ukrainian & Eastern European Discussion & Information Forum - RUA!

This Is the Premier Discussion Forum on the Net for Information and Discussion about Russia, Ukraine, Eastern Europe and the Former Soviet Union. Discuss Culture, Politics, Travelling, Language, International Relationships and More. Chat with Travellers, Locals, Residents and Expats. Ask and Answer Questions about Travel, Culture, Relationships, Applying for Visas, Translators, Interpreters, and More. Give Advice, Read Trip Reports, Share Experiences and Make Friends.

Author Topic: older USSR money  (Read 2421 times)

Offline bigdaddy71978

• Spouses Country: Unknown yet
  • Trips: None Yet
older USSR money
« on: February 07, 2014, 12:48:12 PM »
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-USSR-banknote-paper-money-5-rubles-Russian-/251224474668?&_trksid=p2056016.l4276

Is this still legal/accepted currency in FSU or just "collector" money (like US Confederate money)???

P.S. If this topic has been covered before I'm sorry :)

Offline Net_Lenka

Re: older USSR money
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2014, 12:56:33 PM »
Just collection
- А Вы кто такой будете?
-Тьфу на Вас
-А фамилия Ваша как?  -Тьфу на Вас еще раз .. а фамилия моя слишком известная, чтобы я её называл

Offline AkMike

• Spouses Country: Ukraine
  • Trips: 10-20
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2014, 01:22:47 PM »
Keep in mind that the current conversion of 5 of the current Rubles is 14 cents US.
Thomas Jefferson Quotation, "My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government."

Offline Manny

• Spouses Country: Russia
  • Trips: 20+
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2014, 01:26:37 PM »
I bought bricks of the stuff in the late 90's, and sold most on eBay.

I still have some in a collage of world banknotes collected on my travels on my office wall.

ila_rendered

ila_rendered

Last time I looked, they didn't seem to be worth very much.

BTW, if anyone has any US confederate money, I never saw any of that, I'll swap you for something interesting. The Nazi Reichmarks I bought back then seemed to do better.

Read a trip report from North Korea >>here<< - Read a trip report from South Korea, China and Hong Kong >>here<<

Look what the American media makes some people believe:
Putin often threatens to strike US with nuclear weapons.

Offline AkMike

« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2014, 01:32:18 PM »
Manny, your wall looks like the outhouse (privy) wall that my Great Granddad papered with stock certificates after  the US's Great Depression. That picture stuck in my mind!
Thomas Jefferson Quotation, "My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government."

Offline Manny

« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2014, 01:34:22 PM »
Manny, your wall looks like the outhouse (privy) wall that my Great Granddad papered with stock certificates after  the US's Great Depression. That picture stuck in my mind!

I have Pounds, Dollars and Euros on there too.  ;D

What can I say? I like money!  :biggrin:

On some levels, its nice to know I am worth Twenty Trillion Dollars in some currency.........

ila_rendered
Read a trip report from North Korea >>here<< - Read a trip report from South Korea, China and Hong Kong >>here<<

Offline Slumba

• 10:27 AM
  • Trips: 1-5
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2014, 01:41:49 PM »

On some levels, its nice to know I am worth Twenty Trillion Dollars in some currency.........

(Attachment Link)

Even today it is worth at least 3 eggs!  tiphat
Anchors Rewoven

Offline Manny

« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2014, 01:51:54 PM »

(Attachment Link)

Even today it is worth at least 3 eggs!  tiphat

Well, I like Omelettes.  tiphat

I always found banknotes interesting. In some ways it reminds us of the value we put in paper currency over goods, and how one day it may be worthless. I just picked up interesting stuff for pennies and/or on my travels. And after some years I had a box of it. But what use is a collection of something if you cant see it? So I decided I wanted to see it.

I find it fun and wifey thinks its good feng shui. Visitors like to look at them and ask questions.

I think it runs in the family. I am off to the continent buying next week, and the chaps I deal with there only take money. Their money. So I have been chasing around half the week changing some. Tonight, our five year old daughter insisted on helping me count it.  :money:

That's about $13k USD equivalent.

I find it quite a curiosity the value we put on paper money. One day it will be wallpaper on some guys wall. As all the Guilders, Deutschmarks and Franks I once had are today.

Offline Chris

• Spouses Country: Chernivtsi, Ukraine
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2014, 01:57:38 PM »

I still have some in a collage of world banknotes collected on my travels on my office wall.

That's cool stuff Manny, a nice idea, never saw those when at your place, would of been interested in taking a look.
Слава Україні

Offline AkMike

« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2014, 01:59:10 PM »
I just checked. Twenty Trillion Zim. Dollars is worth 55.26USD
 That'd be a heck of an omelette!

Offline Manny

« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2014, 03:49:38 PM »

Hey not a bad investment, I think I gave maybe $5 for that $20t note on eBay.  :chuckle:

Offline Manny

« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2014, 03:58:54 PM »

That's cool stuff Manny, a nice idea, never saw those when at your place, would of been interested in taking a look.

Next time you come you can.  :thumbsup:

I still have a bunch of other stuff that is still sitting in a box. Old Gibraltar stuff, Aussie stuff, Old UK Pound notes, even stuff with Che Guevara on.

I have some of the old Russian stuff left. This is from 1898, but from what I read is hardly worth a carrot still. But worth more, to a guy with a Russian wife, as a piece of history!

I am not sure if those Aussie Dollars I have are still valid. My Dad brought them back in the 80's.

I have nothing much from the Stans or Ukraine. If anyone has some, I'll swap you something else interesting?

Offline mendeleyev

« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2014, 09:25:47 PM »
Hold on to that last ruble with the "hard sign" after the word "one."

I've been told that the rubles worth something today include paper and coin from the Allied (USA-UK-Can-Fr) occupation of northern Russia during the Russian civil war. Those were rubles printed in the USA and shipped over. Real notes are hard to find but supposedly worth something.

Some parts of Russia used notes produced by the "White" government are also collectible.

Notes issued by the Don Cossack Military government (south Russia) have value as do notes from the Urals Don Cossack Military in the Urals.

Offline AkMike

« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2014, 10:18:26 PM »
I have nothing much from the Stans or Ukraine. If anyone has some, I'll swap you something else interesting?

I'm headed back to UA again in April and I'll see if I can hoard some hyrivna for you.
 (Unless my wife finds it)  :o

Offline d672

• Supporting Member
  • Trips: 5-10
« Reply #14 on: February 07, 2014, 10:31:22 PM »
One of my wife's friends in Ukraine asked me if I could bring her one of every denomination of Canadian money on one of my trips a couple years ago. She does this with every different currency she can. When we went over there to drop it off she showed me her collection, it was quite impressive! I was surprised to see she even had Jamaician J's and Mexican pesos there.

Offline AkMike

« Reply #15 on: February 07, 2014, 10:49:48 PM »
That's one way to build up a retirement account!  :thumbsup:

Offline tonton

• RIP
  • Trips: 5-10
« Reply #16 on: February 08, 2014, 01:43:16 AM »

I am not sure if those Aussie Dollars I have are still valid. My Dad brought them back in the 80's.

They are still legal tender, but the A$1.00 note in your pics could now be worth up to $7.00, depending on condition. Other denominations you have will reflect a similar value.

More than an omelette, but not quite Chateau d'Yquem  :nod:

Offline Chris

« Reply #17 on: February 08, 2014, 04:32:21 AM »

Hey not a bad investment, I think I gave maybe $5 for that $20t note on eBay.  :chuckle:

An old £1 note  :) not seen any or those for years, I have some Grivna's in various denominations if you want to swap if you have any spare ones that is.
Слава Україні

Offline Chris

« Reply #18 on: February 08, 2014, 04:35:33 AM »
Just shown this to my wife and she says she thinks she still has lots of old Russian Ruble notes back in Ukraine, some interesting stuff here.
Слава Україні

Offline Fussy

• Spouses Country: Australia
  • Trips: 1-5
« Reply #19 on: February 08, 2014, 07:27:44 PM »

They are still legal tender, but the A$1.00 note in your pics could now be worth up to $7.00, depending on condition. Other denominations you have will reflect a similar value.

More than an omelette, but not quite Chateau d'Yquem  :nod:

Worth even more if the older ones that say  "Commonwealth of Australia", not just "Australia" at the top.