The World's #1 Russian, Ukrainian & Eastern European Discussion & Information Forum - RUA!

This Is the Premier Discussion Forum on the Net for Information and Discussion about Russia, Ukraine, Eastern Europe and the Former Soviet Union. Discuss Culture, Politics, Travelling, Language, International Relationships and More. Chat with Travellers, Locals, Residents and Expats. Ask and Answer Questions about Travel, Culture, Relationships, Applying for Visas, Translators, Interpreters, and More. Give Advice, Read Trip Reports, Share Experiences and Make Friends.

Author Topic: Fast food, FSU style  (Read 20617 times)

Offline NS1

• Supporting Member
  • Trips: 5-10
Re: Fast food, FSU style
« Reply #25 on: February 03, 2014, 01:44:02 PM »
I have only eaten fast once, it was cafeteria style, not great.
I don't eat much of it here either. Certainly  don't have to when I am there.
One thing I got time for, when not working is decent meal.
There is nothing permanent except change.

Offline Donhollio

« Reply #26 on: February 03, 2014, 07:41:18 PM »
Way back in 2006 I was in Odessa for the last time.  :(  My GF took me to a place a nobody has spoken of. It's a bit of a joke amongst the locals, as its known for cheap eats. Its like a feed line where you grab a tray and move down the line getting what you want. Everything is weighed, and at the end you pay for the food.
 Now I was gazing at the different dishes, and commented to the GF that I can't eat most of this stuff, because it has egg on or in it. I would pause, but within a few seconds I was getting the hook to continue moving down the line- I was holding up others who were behind me, and everyone seemed to be in a rush to sit and eat.  Well at the end of the line I recall I had a very sparse tray of food, and the constant tugging from the ex to keep moving, made the experience all the more ridiculous! 
 The best part was when I wanted to wash my hands, as there was no washroom that we could find!  :chuckle:  As I looked around the 'dining room', it was quite evident that this place was nothing less than a cheap refueling stop. People moved down the line fast, they ate fast and they left just as fast as they could.  That restaurant has always stuck in my head, and I have mentioned it by name here a few times over the years.
 However tonight I was taking a Google holiday down memory lane on the streets of Odessa, and had to find if the place was still in business, and it is!   I've always remembered it as being pronounced ,'Yaro Paruo'
 Anyway, here's a photo of my beloved eatery. If you're in Odessa give it a try.  ;D

You mean 'жару Пару'. The place is still there. We ate there last August. I don't recall the experience being as you described. It was pretty empty but it does have a quick turnaround. The food was ok. There was quite a selection to choose from so you need to know what the dishes are.

I guess things have changed for the better than.  Maybe since I was there, and it was busy with a line behind me, gave me that lasting impression.  Can you give me the phonetic spelling... anyone? My Russian is non existent  these days.

Offline AkMike

• Spouses Country: Ukraine
  • Trips: 10-20
« Reply #27 on: February 03, 2014, 07:53:27 PM »
I'd say it would be,'zharu Paru'. At least something semi, sort'a close to that. ???
Thomas Jefferson Quotation, "My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government."

Offline mendeleyev

• Spouses Country: Russia
  • Trips: 20+
« Reply #28 on: February 04, 2014, 02:17:04 AM »
Жарю-парю is the Odessa cafe, I believe.

It is a fry/stir fry place.

Don, glad you didn't eat a lot there as this cafe doesn't rate too well in health inspections. Some customers apparently don't live thru the meals either.  :)

Just watch...

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/YMulGzhrlcw" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/YMulGzhrlcw</a>

Offline Dogsoldier

• Supporting Member
  • Spouses Country: Україна
  • Trips: 10-20
« Reply #29 on: February 04, 2014, 02:24:54 AM »
Жарю-парю is the Odessa cafe, I believe.

It is a fry/stir fry place.

Don, glad you didn't eat a lot there as this cafe doesn't rate too well in health inspections. Some customers apparently don't live thru the meals either.  :)

Just watch...

I'm glad I survived the experience.
The food really wasn't bad at all.

Offline mendeleyev

• Spouses Country: Russia
  • Trips: 20+
« Reply #30 on: February 04, 2014, 09:31:00 AM »
She is quite forceful and seems to get places, even when told no.

Yes, nothing is so entertaining as real life. From an entertainment perspective the best scenes are those where she is being ordered to leave a kitchen while kneeling on the floor in the discovery of rat drippings and cockroach caresses. The staff seem embarrassed, the operators/managers are having a meltdown, and all the while her camera guys just keep on filming.  ;D

She and her camera guys have been shoved around on occasion and it is amazing that there haven't been more violent reactions to her revelations. She and her camera crew were in danger and more than just mildly roughed up back in 2012 after a restaurant owner in Pereyaslav-Khmelnytsky went ballistic.

Offline Donhollio

« Reply #31 on: February 05, 2014, 09:09:30 PM »
 That's the place Mendy!! At least I know where the washrooms are! :thumbsup: 
Been some years as I have mentioned, but it did bring back those memories.  If I was paying attention when I visited the place, I should have clued in to why I shouldn't go there, as most items were egg this, or egg that. Even the logo is a happy egg.