The World's #1 Russian, Ukrainian & Eastern European Discussion & Information Forum - RUA!

This Is the Premier Discussion Forum on the Net for Information and Discussion about Russia, Ukraine, Eastern Europe and the Former Soviet Union. Discuss Culture, Politics, Travelling, Language, International Relationships and More. Chat with Travellers, Locals, Residents and Expats. Ask and Answer Questions about Travel, Culture, Relationships, Applying for Visas, Translators, Interpreters, and More. Give Advice, Read Trip Reports, Share Experiences and Make Friends.

Author Topic: new TLC show 90 day Fiance tv show  (Read 14736 times)

Offline Donhollio

Re: new TLC show 90 day Fiance tv show
« Reply #25 on: January 13, 2014, 05:42:40 PM »
  I guess this show is more of the same old tales of woe. It would be nice if the producers would showcase a normal couple. Maybe the budget isn't there to follow a guy to the FSU, and follow him around for a few weeks. There has got to be a fellow or two out there that could provide something entertaining to watch while he seeks out his smokinhotkova.
 The failure rate for a foreign relationship is always greater than the few successful partnerships. For once it would be nice to view a show where it motivates a guy to get on the plane and try to find a girl, instead of leaving the viewer embarrassed to even fathom attempting a search.

Offline Larry

• Trips: 5-10
« Reply #26 on: January 13, 2014, 06:02:06 PM »
... It would be nice if the producers would showcase a normal couple. Maybe the budget isn't there to follow a guy to the FSU, and follow him around for a few weeks.

This show followed an American guy to Togliatti for a week where he romanced a RW:

http://ruadventures.com/forum/index.php?topic=8674.msg194158;highlight=Geographic#msg194158

He was a bit on the nerdy side, but not too bad, certainly nothing like the deeply awkward AM elementary school teacher who was also featured on the show.

Online Faux Pas

« Reply #27 on: January 14, 2014, 03:16:08 PM »
There wasn't much redeeming quality in the show IMHO. The most normal of men was the Oklahoma dude living with his parents and there is likely a question of his sexuality. It would appear the producers of this show looked for the mismatched couples to film.

My assessment from the one show:

The Colombian is a smoking hot party girl and unimpressed with dude's arrangements. I could see this woman being a green card seeker. Likely a very short marriage

The Brazilian seems honest and likely in short term lust/love. No way can it last. She's 20 with a lot of growing up to do. I think he was mid 30's and a stick in the mud with some heavy religious burden. I suspect she falls out of love just as quick as she fell in.

The Russian strikes me as honest. Many 19-20 old Russian kids apply for work visas. It's not that unusual and it is what sparked their relationship. The Ohio guy has zero experience with women and probably a virgin. It would appear she is willing to give marriage an honest go but she has doubts about dude. Why wouldn't she, he hasn't even made a move on her. My wife and I both busted out laughing when they got in the bed fully clothed. Probably will last the longest of the 3 to an eventual splitting of the sheets.

They didn't provide much about the Filipino after the opening moments of the show. Maybe because they were more evenly matched?

I'm seeing yet another hatchet show job in the making. I hope I'm wrong but disasters likely will attract more eyeballs to the show than normal folks

Offline Manny

• Spouses Country: Russia
  • Trips: 20+
« Reply #28 on: January 14, 2014, 06:30:08 PM »
The site has a UK IP redirect to a generic page. So we cant see it.

Does anyone have a third party link?
Read a trip report from North Korea >>here<< - Read a trip report from South Korea, China and Hong Kong >>here<<

Look what the American media makes some people believe:
Putin often threatens to strike US with nuclear weapons.

Offline MBS01

• Spouses Country: Ukraine
« Reply #29 on: January 20, 2014, 10:46:59 AM »
So who else caught the second show last night?
We finally get to see the USA guy and Philippine lady for the first time.  After seeing his ex-wife it is no wonder he headed elsewhere for love!  Question is who would want him either?  The preview indicates show 3 with him and the ex-wife arguing over Aya's involvement with their 2 sons as a problem that is going to impact things for this couple.

As to the other couples more of the same.  Like the one lady now living with the in-laws and everyone but her off to work just after her arrival in the USA.  Seeing all this stuff one does not know to laugh or cry especially for all of us who have gone through this stage in our own adventures.

Offline Millaa

• looking for a hero
  • Spouses Country: Hayshenway
  • Trips: 1-5
« Reply #30 on: January 20, 2014, 05:02:23 PM »
Wondering why did they invite actresses with decent English. For reasons of clarity it should be zero  ;D
Скептический ум - страшное оружие с собственным счастьем

Offline Ste

• RIP
  • Beware of Muslamic Rayguns
  • Spouses Country: The Planet Zanussi
« Reply #31 on: January 20, 2014, 05:19:47 PM »
The site has a UK IP redirect to a generic page. So we cant see it.

Does anyone have a third party link?

I saw it in Aldershit via iPred, pretty poor TBH, not much Schadenfreude at all, which is what we want, lets face it...
O pointy birds, o pointy pointy, Anoint my head, anointy-nointy.

Online Faux Pas

« Reply #32 on: January 24, 2014, 02:24:17 PM »
The second wasn't much different from the first thus, my opinion hasn't changed any. They are all totally mis-matched. If the guy with the Russian doesn't get a clue quick, she might be the first one gone

Offline AJ

« Reply #33 on: January 24, 2014, 03:46:19 PM »
Reality TV,

As from  real as possible (real would be  boring with poor ratings)

Offline Mikeav8r

• Keep the shiny side up and the dirty side down...
  • Spouses Country: Russia
« Reply #34 on: May 21, 2014, 02:21:58 PM »
I was approached today by the producer of this show asking if I would be interested.  I politely declined (primarily for the reason stated above by AJ).  I pasted the letter I received from her below:

Hi Tatiana & Michael,

I saw on your timeline that you are in the process of attaining a K1 visa. I am casting a second season series for a US channel, TLC about this very process. Our show is in its second series, and we are seeking Americans that have a fiance(e) coming to the US for the first time. We are interested in showing the adjustments and process of the new situation. If you are interested in learning about possibly being a part of our show, I would love to find out more about your situation.
If interested in sharing your unique journey, please email me at <email address removed>
Here is some more info about the first season of the show:
http://www.tlc.com/tv-shows/90-day-fiance/about.htm

Best,

J*****
Producer
Sharp Entertainment

If any other American is in the same situation and would be interested in learning more from her, let me know and I will ask her if it is ok to forward her email address to you.
Two Favorites:
1.  You have 2 ears and 1 mouth, therefor you should listen twice as much as you speak. -Confucius
2.  If you want to give God a good laugh, tell him your plans. - Anon

Offline Larry

TLC show 90 day Fiance tv show: season 2
« Reply #35 on: October 07, 2014, 01:57:53 PM »
The second season of this tv show will be aired starting in mid-October.  I watched one episode but I don't know if it was from last season or this season. I assume it's from last season.  It follows a 48 year old American guy named Len from Phoenix, Arizona and a 23 year old UW named Alina, who lives in a small town in the Lugansk region.

It's difficult to understand the entire story, but here are some of the highlights:

SPOILER ALERT:

The couple meet in her city, then vacation together once in Mexico and once in the Dominican Republic. She looks good in a bikini.  After discussing it with her he files an application for a fiancee visa to bring her to the US.

Alina is very angry that he has gone to coffee with a girl in Phoenix.  It is his business partner in the gym he runs.  Alina swears a lot, in English.

Len cannot reach her for two weeks.  When he finally reaches her and asks where she has been she admits that she spent the time on vacation in Turkey with another guy.  He asks her if she really likes this guy (a stupid question, in my opinion).  She says of course she likes him - he buys her every single thing she wants.  She says that she is "best f***ing woman in the world" (a claim I find dubious at best).

He withdraws his fiancee visa application.

It can be watched here: http://www.tlc.com/tv-shows/90-day-fiance/videos/meet-len-and-alina.htm

I think Longingforthesouth might have met her, or at least one of her kindred spirits.

Offline WestCoast

Re: TLC show 90 day Fiance tv show: season 2
« Reply #36 on: October 07, 2014, 02:18:53 PM »
The second season of this tv show will be aired starting in mid-October.  I watched one episode but I don't know if it was from last season or this season. I assume it's from last season.  It follows a 48 year old American guy named Len from Phoenix, Arizona and a 23 year old UW named Alina, who lives in a small town in the Lugansk region.

It's difficult to understand the entire story, but here are some of the highlights:

SPOILER ALERT:

The couple meet in her city, then vacation together once in Mexico and once in the Dominican Republic. She looks good in a bikini.  After discussing it with her he files an application for a fiancee visa to bring her to the US.

Alina is very angry that he has gone to coffee with a girl in Phoenix.  It is his business partner in the gym he runs.  Alina swears a lot, in English.

Len cannot reach her for two weeks.  When he finally reaches her and asks where she has been she admits that she spent the time on vacation in Turkey with another guy.  He asks her if she really likes this guy (a stupid question, in my opinion).  She says of course she likes him - he buys her every single thing she wants.  She says that she is "best f***ing woman in the world" (a claim I find dubious at best).

He withdraws his fiancee visa application.

It can be watched here: http://www.tlc.com/tv-shows/90-day-fiance/videos/meet-len-and-alina.htm

I think Longingforthesouth might have met her, or at least one of her kindred spirits.

23 is far too young for Len. If he goes for someone over 30 or at least close to, he'll have better luck IMHO. The guy looks like he's in good shape, seems nice and looks like he has a good job and money. All qualities women of all nationalities appreciate. Len should join RUA and we'll help him find a wife.  :laugh:

Can't seem to watch the full episodes from Canada. For those who want to watch full episodes. They're on Youtube.

andrewfi says ''Proximity is almost no guarantee of authority" and "in many cases, distance gives a better picture with less emotional and subjective input."

That means I'm a subject matter expert on all things Russia, Ukraine and UK.

Offline Larry

90 day Fiancee tv show: new season begins tonight
« Reply #37 on: October 19, 2014, 10:58:54 AM »
It will air on the TLC network at 9PM Eastern US time. 

I changed the thread title slightly in this post.  One change was to substitute "fiancee" for "fiance".  I assumed the use of the word fiance was a mistake made in the original post creating this thread.  I was wrong.  It was a mistake made in the TV series title.  When I went to the network's website to check to see if there was anything that was likely to interest our readers I saw that the show's title contains the word fiance rather than the word fiancee.  A fiance is a guy; a fiancee is a girl. Given that all the couples followed (at least in previous seasons) pair a foreign girl, who was here on a 90-day K1 visa, and a US guy, this usage appears to me to be a mistake.

One might argue that the use of the word fiance could be correct because the show could be said to focus equally on the guys.  But I don't find this argument persuasive.

Update: this season the show has branched out.  It now contains an equal number of couples with an AW  and a foreign guy. Is there any doubt that next season they will include same sex couples?

One of the couples followed is an obese AW who is engaged to a fellow named Mohammed.  And there is a large age gap! He's the younger one, of course. The AW mentioned that Mohammed "in his religion has to have special meat that's been prayed over (a/k/a halal meat)" that she can get only in Cleveland or Dayton.

Another AW raves about her Nicaraguan pop star fiance, part of the first boy band in Nicaragua.  Eddie Murphy was spectacularly right about the appeal of musicians.  Query, which fellow is more likely to be more successful with the ladies: 1) a billionaire entrepreneur who is 6'2" tall (around 1.88 cms) with Adonis-like muscularity, 5% body fat, piercing blue eyes, handsome face, hair so thick he can barely force a brush through it, and the charisma of John F. Kennedy, or 2) a popular musician?

Here is more about the show:

http://www.tlc.com/tv-shows/90-day-fiance/about.htm

Offline shakespear

• Supporting Member
Re: 90 day Fiancee tv show: new season begins tonight
« Reply #38 on: October 19, 2014, 12:51:57 PM »
It will air on the TLC network at 9PM Eastern US time. 

Let's see . . . . . . .   9pm Sunday night.

What a choice - watch this reality crapola or the newest episode of Walking Dead. 

Don't even think I'll set my tevo.   
"If you obey all the rules, you miss all the fun" - Katharine Hepburn

Online rosco

• Supporting Member
  • Trips: 10-20
« Reply #39 on: October 20, 2014, 07:46:59 AM »
Just watched the first two episodes and its pretty addictive stuff. Very cringe worthy though and I'm unsure if its another foreign fiancé bashing programme or we really do have so many eejits walking among us.

There's the bible basher who makes his hot Brazilian country girl live with his parents so he doesn't make hot love to her then feel all bad and guilty about it!  (:) Then the fat guy who seems like a decent bloke but is totally in tow with a young Russian girl who is seemingly not interested in him or his family and my favourite, the nympho Colombian who's living with the boring country boy, who lives with his parents in Oklahoma.....she's just looking for a high, hard one and some time with her new man.

I mean really, is this kind of stuff normal in the states? It's a catchy watch if you have some time to kill but where are the relatively normal folks going about their lives, maybe they come later in the series?  ???   

Offline ECR844

• Searching for the word I will become
  • Trips: Resident
« Reply #40 on: October 20, 2014, 08:14:47 AM »
S02 is filled with the what typically portrays the expected stereotypes. My wife enjoys watching and haranguing the various couples follies and obvious stupidity like it's 'Monday Night Football.'

The long is short of it she's astonished how the motley crew and 'cast' can be so terribly clueless, and basically have no real relationship, then move to a new country to live in what amounts to 'humble' surroundings..... She laughs at the delusional 40yo fatty who seems to have somehow convinced herself that the 26yo Tunisian man who's fit and 'fashionable' is really all that into his 'fiancee'...etc....

The show really brings forth the impression that the normal folks who do this successfully really are in 'the minority'.

It's like a tragic comedy....... :trainwreck: theres that 'choo...choo'

Offline GuppyCaptain

• Actively on the Search
  • Trips: 1-5
« Reply #41 on: October 20, 2014, 08:23:19 AM »
Yeah, amongst the three couples I see at least one complete trainwreck....the portly guy with the chic from Volgograd. The ones I'd give the best odds is the very religious couple. At least they're on the same page in that respect, although her burgeoning modeling carrier is causing some major jealousy and tension in their relationship.

:popcorn:

Offline ECR844

• Searching for the word I will become
  • Trips: Resident
« Reply #42 on: October 20, 2014, 08:25:00 AM »
Yeah, amongst the three couples I see at least one complete trainwreck....the portly guy with the chic from Volgograd. The ones I'd give the best odds is the very religious couple. At least they're on the same page in that respect, although her burgeoning modeling carrier is causing some major jealousy and tension in their relationship.

Yeah, that's Season 1. They were supposed to air an 'update show' from that season as well but I think that might be 'web only' visit the site and get more traffic kind of thing.

Offline Ste

• RIP
« Reply #43 on: October 20, 2014, 08:34:51 AM »
Just leeched the lot off TPB, the joys of working from home!!

Was watching some Brian Cox on Horizon about Theories of the Universe but I instead of getting some serious high-brow learning I prefer to laugh at some losers ballsing up their relationships....

Schadenfreude-tastic!!

Offline Ste

• RIP
« Reply #44 on: October 20, 2014, 08:46:53 AM »
How come all the Fiancées have American accents even though they are foreign?

Online rosco

• Supporting Member
  • Trips: 10-20
« Reply #45 on: October 20, 2014, 08:59:26 AM »

Absolutely. She's really cute and he's a big, jealous soft cock. Even if things work out, she might just lose all respect for the bible bashing beta boy.

On a similar note, the Colombian girl might just do the same to the Oklahoma mummies boy, after being chatted up by the first red blooded male who crosses her path. She'd be a feisty one between the sheets I'll bet!  :smokin:

Offline NS1

• Supporting Member
« Reply #46 on: October 20, 2014, 10:08:36 AM »
I watched 10 minutes of last years recaps, and about 10 minutes of the first show this year.
All I could stomach, they find the same type of people who willing to go on
Dr. Phil and tell the nation their issues. Most looked foolish at the least
and right out in left field for the others. TV knows how to pick the worse cases.
There is nothing permanent except change.

Offline shakespear

• Supporting Member
« Reply #47 on: October 20, 2014, 11:22:35 AM »
and right out in left field for the others. TV knows how to pick the worse cases.

I was asked to go on either the Montel Williams or Rosie O'Donnell Show
(can't remember which) with people I knew from the old St John's list.  I refused
outright in spite of their "generous" offer to fly me to NYC, put me up in a hotel,
and have a limo drive me back and forth to the airport and studio and pay me $0 cash.

2 guys from the list accepted the offer.  One is good friend of mine and he
and his Russian wife are now divorced.  The other is still a member on RUA
and his current marital status is unknown. 

There is absolutely zero upside for your relationship to participate in this
nonesense.   
"If you obey all the rules, you miss all the fun" - Katharine Hepburn

Offline NS1

• Supporting Member
« Reply #48 on: October 20, 2014, 11:27:07 AM »

I was asked to go on either the Montel Williams or Rosie O'Donnell Show
(can't remember which) with people I knew from the old St John's list.  I refused
outright in spite of their "generous" offer to fly me to NYC, put me up in a hotel,
and have a limo drive me back and forth to the airport and studio and pay me $0 cash.

2 guys from the list accepted the offer.  One is good friend of mine and he
and his Russian wife are now divorced.  The other is still a member on RUA
and his current marital status is unknown. 

There is absolutely zero upside for your relationship to participate in this
nonesense.

I agree.
That said a few seem hard up enough to do it for some cash.
Having friends, family and your wife adjust to all that is happening,
without the pressure of worrying about thousands of viewers, who more than anything
look at as a comedy. Anyone who wants their life on public display in this manor,
has other issues.
There is nothing permanent except change.

Offline Ste

• RIP
« Reply #49 on: October 20, 2014, 11:30:59 AM »
OMG!! ROFL!!

Foreign Fiancée: What if I don't like America....?

American Guy: Errrmm...

Registration