The World's #1 Russian, Ukrainian & Eastern European Discussion & Information Forum - RUA!

This Is the Premier Discussion Forum on the Net for Information and Discussion about Russia, Ukraine, Eastern Europe and the Former Soviet Union. Discuss Culture, Politics, Travelling, Language, International Relationships and More. Chat with Travellers, Locals, Residents and Expats. Ask and Answer Questions about Travel, Culture, Relationships, Applying for Visas, Translators, Interpreters, and More. Give Advice, Read Trip Reports, Share Experiences and Make Friends.

Author Topic: Australian journalists' take of travel after Sochi  (Read 1509 times)

Offline tonton

• RIP
  • Spouses Country: Russia
  • Trips: 5-10

Offline WestCoast

Re: Australian journalists' take of travel after Sochi
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2014, 09:50:01 PM »
Interesting read. I enjoyed this quote "Don't ever go to Moscow after St Petersburg. Do it the other way round." I guess it tells which city the journalist found the more interesting.
andrewfi says ''Proximity is almost no guarantee of authority" and "in many cases, distance gives a better picture with less emotional and subjective input."

That means I'm a subject matter expert on all things Russia, Ukraine and UK.

Offline sashathecat

• Spouses Country: Ukraine baby!
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2014, 09:51:39 PM »
I actually like the stinky fish with a nice cold piva   :hidechair:

I do have to hand it to Russia/Putin and whomever he placed in charge of the event. As far as I know they are the only country to use structures that can be dismantled and rebuilt in other cities. There are many "white elephants"  in countries that have previously hosted the Olympics. Big issue in Brazil over this currently.

Offline Mikeav8r

• Keep the shiny side up and the dirty side down...
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2014, 10:45:03 PM »
Interesting read. I enjoyed this quote "Don't ever go to Moscow after St Petersburg. Do it the other way round." I guess it tells which city the journalist found the more interesting.

I agree with that.  Nothing against Moscow, but St. Pete is a much nicer city IMO.
Two Favorites:
1.  You have 2 ears and 1 mouth, therefor you should listen twice as much as you speak. -Confucius
2.  If you want to give God a good laugh, tell him your plans. - Anon

Offline WestCoast

« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2014, 11:54:22 PM »

I do have to hand it to Russia/Putin and whomever he placed in charge of the event. As far as I know they are the only country to use structures that can be dismantled and rebuilt in other cities. There are many "white elephants"  in countries that have previously hosted the Olympics. Big issue in Brazil over this currently.

The 2022 World Cup in Qatar is suppose to be using similar tech to take apart parts of and complete stadia to be donated to countries in need of sports infrastructure.
andrewfi says ''Proximity is almost no guarantee of authority" and "in many cases, distance gives a better picture with less emotional and subjective input."

That means I'm a subject matter expert on all things Russia, Ukraine and UK.

Offline tonton

• RIP
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2014, 01:11:53 AM »

The 2022 World Cup in Qatar is suppose to be using similar tech to take apart parts of and complete stadia to be donated to countries in need of sports infrastructure.

That was done after Sydney 2000, as well. The 100,000 seat stadium was reduced to 80,000 seats with the seating dismantled and used in other stadiums.

The stinky fish, Sasha, is not too bad, nor the dried ones he described eaten in the Irish pub. They last forever, plenty at home, and good with beer! For you Americans, if you want dog pie, just slip over the border and grab some dog taco's---easily found on the stalls in Mexico City---but I'm sure you guys knew that  :) I didn't  :hidechair:

Author wrote about St Pt v Mos--completely agree. I did it the same way.

Offline Danchik

• Russia Guru
  • Trips: Resident
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2014, 02:48:28 AM »
Typical story by a novice visiting Russia. What no bear sightings on Red Square? (:)

I could write the same about, oh, say Texas, only substitute redneck cowboys for Russian guys, Lone Star beer for cheap vodka, and talk about how if you didn't know better, you'd think you were in Egypt, only with much worse humidity. All the while talking about such great hot spots as Ozona, Ft. Stockton, Fredericksburg, or the always fascinating town of Lubbock, just to name a few.

And as per usual for the "stiff" that insists on taking shots at Moscow, well, the last time I went to New York and Boston I should have gone to Boston first, instead of New York. IOW, wtf is your point? 
When it is dark enough, men see the stars.

Offline mendeleyev

• Trips: 20+
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2014, 03:56:39 AM »
I agree Danchik. While I certainly bear no ill will for the fellow, writing in the present tense about past events can be like fingernails on a chalkboard but I've been guilty so will let it pass.

He had some things to say that I appreciated about Sochi and it was obvious that he wanted to see the real Russia as he put it.  His home flight must have departed Moscow as I wondered by he didn't spent time in Moscow first before traveling northward to Piter. I will catch grief for saying this, but frankly Moscow is the most beautiful and interesting city in Russia and that is not to detract from Piter which is a close second.

From time to time we have friends and associates who've said things like "we're coming to visit for 3 days so what is there to see?" Frankly, I could show them Moscow for 3 weeks and barely scratch the surface as there is just so much history and things to see.

I sort of understood his misconception of Gorky Park as it was winter and trees were bare with lots of ice and some snow everywhere. He would have had an entirely different impression in summer. That he went to Sparrow Hills for the ski lifts and missed the magnificent main campus of Moscow State University across the street left me speechless. How does one not visit Victory Park, Tsaritsino, Novodevichy, or Kolomenskoe but then proceed to write that Moscow is drab and dreary?

For goodness sake, tourists even find the Metro to be spectacular, which it is, but apparently he missed that as well.

It was an interesting report nonetheless and I'm grateful that he didn't jump on the bandwagon to bash the Olympics. I'm also grateful that he was willing to spend some time and experience a few of the unique aspects of life in Russia. It is nice to read what other journalists write about Russia so thank you Tonton, for sharing this with us.

Offline redroo

• Spouses Country: FSU
  • Trips: Semi-Resident
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2014, 06:40:41 AM »
I just came to post this report as well, so thanks to Tonton for sharing it already.

It's a shame you so quickly dismiss it Danchik, as what I found heart warming was the acknowledgement of the kindness of strangers, when so often westerners just complain of the "cold, uncaring" Russian response to requests for help or service. I actually found it quite a positive read.

Mendy....you can keep Moscow after St P....but each to their own.
Don't forget he was desperate to ski, as a skiing sports journalist.

Offline tonton

• RIP
« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2014, 09:53:00 AM »
Dan, Mendy--you are both correct. If the guy had more time in Moscow, then more would have been written. Personally, I love Moscow, and St Pt. Both have such enormous positives. Architectural beauty in St Pt, the strength in Moscow.

I thought it would be a good read, to sway away from Ukraine/Russia political threads of late, to enjoy that Russia is a beautiful place to visit, as is Ukraine--my Mrs and I love getting to Ukraine when we can.

On a side note, you guys need to read an old cold war novel, I watched the author speak at Book Expo America in NY a couple of years ago, google it and then order it, you will not be disappointed, mesmerising writing. No commercial interest in this plug BTW.

Author: Nelson Demille
Title: The Charm School

Offline sashathecat

« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2014, 10:17:23 AM »

That was done after Sydney 2000, as well. The 100,000 seat stadium was reduced to 80,000 seats with the seating dismantled and used in other stadiums.

The stinky fish, Sasha, is not too bad, nor the dried ones he described eaten in the Irish pub. They last forever, plenty at home, and good with beer! For you Americans, if you want dog pie, just slip over the border and grab some dog taco's---easily found on the stalls in Mexico City---but I'm sure you guys knew that  :) I didn't  :hidechair:

Was not aware of the versatile structures  in Sydney and Qatar, thanks for the info guys.

Yes, I prefer the dry aged fish myself Tonton. A bit salty, but not bad actually. Pass on the dog for now  :)

Offline tonton

• RIP
« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2014, 10:30:54 AM »
Pass on the dog for now  :)

Come on Sasha, you're a Cat, right--surely revenge on the dogs? :8)

Offline sashathecat

« Reply #12 on: May 31, 2014, 10:33:48 AM »
Pass on the dog for now  :)

Come on Sasha, you're a Cat, right--surely revenge on the dogs? :8)

Da, I'm a big cat  ;D

Offline mendeleyev

• Trips: 20+
« Reply #13 on: May 31, 2014, 01:24:24 PM »
I thought it would be a good read, to sway away from Ukraine/Russia political threads of late, to enjoy that Russia is a beautiful place to visit, as is Ukraine--my Mrs and I love getting to Ukraine when we can.

On a side note, you guys need to read an old cold war novel, I watched the author speak at Book Expo America in NY a couple of years ago, google it and then order it, you will not be disappointed, mesmerising writing. No commercial interest in this plug BTW.

Author: Nelson Demille
Title: The Charm School

Thank you, Tonton. I'm glad that you posted the original article and look forward to checking out The Charm School on Amazon. I love to read!

Offline Fussy

• Spouses Country: Australia
  • Trips: 1-5
« Reply #14 on: June 01, 2014, 06:22:19 AM »
I have to admit, once you get the hang of basic Russian, the Moscow Metro Cr@ps all over, say, Brisbane's railway system.