The World's #1 Russian, Ukrainian & Eastern European Discussion & Information Forum - RUA!

This Is the Premier Discussion Forum on the Net for Information and Discussion about Russia, Ukraine, Eastern Europe and the Former Soviet Union. Discuss Culture, Politics, Travelling, Language, International Relationships and More. Chat with Travellers, Locals, Residents and Expats. Ask and Answer Questions about Travel, Culture, Relationships, Applying for Visas, Translators, Interpreters, and More. Give Advice, Read Trip Reports, Share Experiences and Make Friends.

Author Topic: 19 archived photos, unique portraits of citizens of the Soviet Union.  (Read 19818 times)

Offline Halo

Re: 19 archived photos, unique portraits of citizens of the Soviet Union.
« Reply #50 on: November 06, 2013, 10:41:24 AM »
I just asked the better half for some happy memories from his years in the USSR.  He said his one positive memory is boarding a Lufthansa airplane at Sheremetyevo airport.  His subsequent comment was "Thank God it wasn't Aeroflot."

Halo your husband has a good sense of humour  :laugh:

Yeah.  When anyone asks him how we met he says "I was alone, homeless, living on the street in rags.  She saw me huddled against a building, shivering, kicked me, and asked 'Hey you, do you have somewhere to live?'  When I said no, she said come with me, and I'll give you a home."

One woman believed him, and looked horrified.  Her attitude toward him changed, and she still, to this day, avoids him if she sees him approaching.
After the fall of communism, the biggest mistake Boris Yeltsin's regime made was not to disband the KGB altogether. Instead it changed its name to the FSB and, to many observers, morphed into a gangster organisation, eventually headed by master criminal Vladimir Putin. - Gerard Batten

Offline Eduard

• Commercial member
    • realrussianmatch.com
  • Spouses Country: Russia
  • Trips: 20+
« Reply #51 on: November 06, 2013, 10:49:47 AM »
People who say that they would give up their life in the USA for the life in the USSR are simply living in a fantasy land IMO.
That said I will share with you that my younger years in the USSR were filled with lots of laughter, friends, family, great times that were priceless. It is simply a part of being human - to enjoy family, friends, music and good times. I just don't understand why some here assume that Americans don't have the same wonderful memories of their younger years. Americans too have families, friends and great times that they fondly remember for the rest of their life. It's a universal thing and not exclusive to FSU residents or former residents...
People are people, we all enjoy similar things and tend to remember the good stuff while often forgetting the bad.

Offline molly35ru

« Reply #52 on: November 06, 2013, 10:53:06 AM »
People are people, we all enjoy similar things and tend to remember the good stuff while often forgetting the bad.
:thumbsup:
Words that are said in anger can rarely be taken back so be mindful what you say.

Offline Mikeav8r

• Keep the shiny side up and the dirty side down...
  • Trips: 5-10
« Reply #53 on: November 06, 2013, 10:56:06 AM »
People who say that they would give up their life in the USA for the life in the USSR are simply living in a fantasy land IMO.
That said I will share with you that my younger years in the USSR were filled with lots of laughter, friends, family, great times that were priceless. It is simply a part of being human - to enjoy family, friends, music and good times. I just don't understand why some here assume that Americans don't have the same wonderful memories of their younger years. Americans too have families, friends and great times that they fondly remember for the rest of their life. It's a universal thing...

Yes..we can produce the same photos of our childhoods here as we have seen above.  If people choose to remember only the bad or find only the bad in others, I pity them.  This can be said for anyone in the world...
Two Favorites:
1.  You have 2 ears and 1 mouth, therefor you should listen twice as much as you speak. -Confucius
2.  If you want to give God a good laugh, tell him your plans. - Anon

Offline Mikeav8r

• Keep the shiny side up and the dirty side down...
« Reply #54 on: November 06, 2013, 10:57:58 AM »
I just asked the better half for some happy memories from his years in the USSR.  He said his one positive memory is boarding a Lufthansa airplane at Sheremetyevo airport.  His subsequent comment was "Thank God it wasn't Aeroflot."

Yeah.  When anyone asks him how we met he says "I was alone, homeless, living on the street in rags.  She saw me huddled against a building, shivering, kicked me, and asked 'Hey you, do you have somewhere to live?'  When I said no, she said come with me, and I'll give you a home."

One woman believed him, and looked horrified.  Her attitude toward him changed, and she still, to this day, avoids him if she sees him approaching.

That's too funny.  :)
Two Favorites:
1.  You have 2 ears and 1 mouth, therefor you should listen twice as much as you speak. -Confucius
2.  If you want to give God a good laugh, tell him your plans. - Anon

Online andrewfi

• Supporting Member
    • Articles About Almost Anything!
« Reply #55 on: November 06, 2013, 11:30:42 AM »
Ed, nobody suggested that people in the US don't enjoy lives. YOU were telling us about how shitty it was in Russia, it was pointed out to you, and you now agree, that in fact life was pretty good for you in Russia. That is how life, in most places, is.

Humans are animals. We seek food, shelter, water, security and reproduction. Satisfy these needs and most of us are happy enough. When all those are sorted many of us seek to satisfy additional needs and only when all needs are satisfied do we get into politics and dissent. That is why real dissent is so rare. Hungry people make poor revolutionaries - the reason why in Russia in the revolutionary times the leaders and agitators were very largely drawn from the well educated and relatively well off. The popular image of worker revolutionaries is not very true.

One might argue that a government, or the state creates its own opposition when they raise living standards.

...everything ends always well; if it’s still bad, then it’s not the end!

Offline Eduard

• Commercial member
    • realrussianmatch.com
« Reply #56 on: November 06, 2013, 12:56:56 PM »
Ed, nobody suggested that people in the US don't enjoy lives. YOU were telling us about how shitty it was in Russia, it was pointed out to you, and you now agree, that in fact life was pretty good for you in Russia. That is how life, in most places, is.

Humans are animals. We seek food, shelter, water, security and reproduction. Satisfy these needs and most of us are happy enough. When all those are sorted many of us seek to satisfy additional needs and only when all needs are satisfied do we get into politics and dissent. That is why real dissent is so rare. Hungry people make poor revolutionaries - the reason why in Russia in the revolutionary times the leaders and agitators were very largely drawn from the well educated and relatively well off. The popular image of worker revolutionaries is not very true.

One might argue that a government, or the state creates its own opposition when they raise living standards.
Oh Andy, where do I begin...?
Even if we assumed that you were correct and we are just your basic animals: Food was hard to get... ever shopped in a store where 95% of the shelves were empty? Well, I have.
Shelter... ever lived in kommunalka, Andy? Most Soviets have. My family was lucky enough to have a separate 15 meter apartment... but I guess it could be worse, everything is relative... look at how most Haitians live for example. They still smile, have friends, play soccer, but would they trade their life in Haiti for the life in the US? I think so...
Security?  :ROFL: Will you actually argue that an average Soviet citizen enjoyed any kind of security? Do you know why most FSU people used to spend money the way they did, why they didn't believe in buying life insurance or saving money? That's because FSU people knew that their life could end the next day, that all their possessions could be taken away from them tomorrow.
So even going by your own "basic animal" standard, life in the USSR wouldn't qualify.
However I do not agree with you that there is no difference between us and animals. For instance I don't believe that you would consider your life "happy" if your ability to express yourself freely was suddenly taken away from you and you would have to worry that one "wrong" thing you say could land you in prison. 

Offline Slumba

• 10:27 AM
  • Trips: 1-5
« Reply #57 on: November 06, 2013, 01:04:24 PM »
In this photo:

http://www.adme.ru/vdohnovenie-919705/nazad-v-proshloe-dushevnye-snimki-iz-sssr-494655/494655-7922605/

Is a picture of the old Moscow GUM (assuming I read the captions right).

Is is just me, or does this look a lot like the Toronto Eaton Centre ?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toronto_Eaton_Centre
Anchors Rewoven

Offline Ladine

• Trips: Resident
« Reply #58 on: November 06, 2013, 01:10:23 PM »

Oh Andy, where do I begin...?
Even if we assumed that you were correct and we are just your basic animals: Food was hard to get... ever shopped in a store where 95% of the shelves were empty? Well, I have.
Shelter... ever lived in kommunalka, Andy? Most Soviets have. My family was lucky enough to have a separate 15 meter apartment... but I guess it could be worse, everything is relative... look at how most Haitians live for example. They still smile, have friends, play soccer, but would they trade their life in Haiti for the life in the US? I think so...
Security?  :ROFL: Will you actually argue that an average Soviet citizen enjoyed any kind of security? Do you know why most FSU people used to spend money the way they did, why they didn't believe in buying life insurance or saving money? That's because FSU people knew that their life could end the next day, that all their possessions could be taken away from them tomorrow.
So even going by your own "basic animal" standard, life in the USSR wouldn't qualify.
However I do not agree with you that there is no difference between us and animals. For instance I don't believe that you would consider your life "happy" if your ability to express yourself freely was suddenly taken away from you and you would have to worry that one "wrong" thing you say could land you in prison.

:thumbsup:

this is a lot to talk about. We lived like better new constant fear. and responsibilities
particularly remember about the tax situation for childlessness. in the past it was not customary to have children before they played the wedding. But on the second day of the wedding at work filming the tax for childlessness. it could only come up in the Soviet Union .. If the girls keep themselves for the first man to a wedding. but on the second day of the marriage took tax. Tell me when the girl to have kids? in two days? now people remember it as humor.
smart will learn - a fool would teach.
Никогда не оправдывайся, если ты невиновен. Если в вас бросают грязью, к вам может и не долететь. А руки того, кто это делает, останутся в грязи. Люблю вас всех.

Online andrewfi

• Supporting Member
« Reply #59 on: November 06, 2013, 01:40:13 PM »
Ed, pick a viewpoint and stick with it matey!

First you tell us how shit life was
Then you flip flop and tell us how fun life was
Next you tell us again how grim

You and your family had a home and it was likely better than your grandparents  had.
Your dad and mum both had work
You all had food
You did not get arrested every day, the roads did not disappear and change location every day, your school was in the same place from day to a day and your parents work was reliably there, even if, like many toward the mid 80's and beyond, they were underemployed, they still got paid and still had food, home, water, education etc etc.

Was it as pretty as you now have?

No it was not, but you had all the attributes I mentioned, even if you were discriminated against for being Jewish.

Offline Ladine

• Trips: Resident
« Reply #60 on: November 06, 2013, 01:52:55 PM »

You and your family had a home and it was likely better than your grandparents  had.
You all had food
You did not get arrested every day, the roads did not disappear and change location every day, your school was in the same place from day to a day and your parents work was reliably there, even if, like many toward the mid 80's and beyond, they were underemployed, they still got paid and still had food, home, water, education etc etc.

No it was not, but you had all the attributes I mentioned, even if you were discriminated against for being Jewish.

Andrew is impossible to say for sure. it's like a medal that has two sides.
 yes we had a meal and a house but we do not have the right to vote. like a flock. as the incubator chicks were required to go to school in the same form. And the commitment was to study to go to the farm to work for a couple of months. and no matter you are sick or not. it was mandatory.

but now we have the right to vote, the right to choose. But we do not have a job and do not have all the good food.

in every time has its pros and cons.
smart will learn - a fool would teach.
Никогда не оправдывайся, если ты невиновен. Если в вас бросают грязью, к вам может и не долететь. А руки того, кто это делает, останутся в грязи. Люблю вас всех.

Offline Eduard

• Commercial member
    • realrussianmatch.com
« Reply #61 on: November 06, 2013, 02:20:48 PM »

You all had food

Oh Andy, sometimes you have your not so bright moments (as all of us). Do you not understand that people can laugh and have a good time, have friends and relationships even in prison?

Offline NS1

• Supporting Member
« Reply #62 on: November 06, 2013, 02:21:28 PM »

Halo, Iwas in middle of catching up on this. From what you have said, your husband spoke, and you relayed to us now and in the past, he was truly lucky to get out alive.
But damn what you wrote was funny. Great sense of haha tip hat good on him all things considered
Nice of you to not kick him to hard, and give him a home, hopes he's grateful :chuckle:
There is nothing permanent except change.

Offline NS1

• Supporting Member
« Reply #63 on: November 06, 2013, 02:28:35 PM »
Andrew, you really that thick?
This is one of those occasions, where people who have lived it ( not read in books)
Are giving us some true insight. WHy not stop your wind blowing for once.
Pay attention and learn something, from people who lived it.
In this instance no one cares if your right or wrong, just shut up :)

Offline Millaa

• looking for a hero
  • Spouses Country: Hayshenway
  • Trips: 1-5
« Reply #64 on: November 06, 2013, 02:35:15 PM »
This is one of those occasions, where people who have lived it ( not read in books)
I'm completely on Andrew's side in that thread  :smokin:
Someone has to apply this advice to yourself
Скептический ум - страшное оружие с собственным счастьем

Offline NS1

• Supporting Member
« Reply #65 on: November 06, 2013, 02:43:32 PM »
I'm completely on Andrew's side in that thread  :smokin:
Someone has to apply this advice to yourself

Millaa, sorry, but my point is Andrew read and learned this stuff, good for him.
But this thread it more about people like yourself and others who lived it.
Giving real life experience. I find it interesting to hear it from those who truly understand.
this thread should not be who is right and wrong. more about how it was and felt like
at different points in your lives as you lived before and after.
The words and pictures are real.

Online andrewfi

• Supporting Member
« Reply #66 on: November 06, 2013, 03:03:53 PM »

Andrew is impossible to say for sure. it's like a medal that has two sides.
 yes we had a meal and a house but we do not have the right to vote. like a flock. as the incubator chicks were required to go to school in the same form. And the commitment was to study to go to the farm to work for a couple of months. and no matter you are sick or not. it was mandatory.

but now we have the right to vote, the right to choose. But we do not have a job and do not have all the good food.

in every time has its pros and cons.

Yes, that I can understand.
In Soviet times there was a pact between state and people and that deal suited most people most of the time.
Problems really came when hidden inflation hit hard - you remember the times I am sure? Queues for anything, jobs for all - but not enough work, infrastructure improvements came to an end, living standards which had been getting kinda decent for many went into reverse.
That's from the early 80's onward I guess.
At that point the pact started to break down.

Going to work on the farm still happens in Uzbekistan for the cotton harvest.

But that was the basis of the pact.
The citizens were the tools of the state directed for the greater good of the state and by extension the citizens. In return, shelter, housing, education, pocket money, rule of law, health care and the security that these things bring.
By 1991, the wheels had fallen off and even perestroika could not repair the damage, and so coup and the end of the system.

One of the saddest things I remember seeing was in the late 90's and as late as I guess, 2000, the unofficial markets with folks selling off their last possessions. Often these were old people left with no pension, or certainly not enough to pay for food and heat in the harsh Saint Petersburg winters. But there are others, younger people, men and women many now in their 40's who had grown up in the Soviet system, were trained to manage life under that system but who were left high and dry. Many of those people have never recovered from the shock and disorientation of the 90's. Those people were let down by the system and the replacement had nothing for them. Quite a few of the women ended up married to old foreigners.

The thing is though, in Soviet times, even during the end time, there was enough(just) food, enough (just) housing etc etc. Now what is there for those who fail at life, for whatever reason?
So, which is really better?
IMHO, that is not an easy question to answer.

Online Faux Pas

« Reply #67 on: November 06, 2013, 03:16:16 PM »
Interesting and fun photos. All of them. Thanks for posting them

Offline ozybob

• Spouses Country: UKRAINE/AUSTRALIA
« Reply #68 on: November 06, 2013, 07:23:49 PM »
Interesting and fun photos. All of them. Thanks for posting them

+1

it is understandable how people can feel their are two sides to the medal in their perspectives of life and times in the past ,
some things will have fond memorys , some more ambivilant , some with sheer sadness or negative emotionals ,

as humans we have the ability to adapt to most life situations , and usually a sense of humour /community to survive under them

each of walks our own path and collects our own memorys of how it was for us in our life , our own view of the world we where brought up in and the one we live in now

i have found it incredibly valuable &enjoyable to spend time on the ground in my wifes birth country and her citizenship country with her and family there to gain some appreciation of how she lived and the life people there built for themselves

im sure in any country regardless of its political system , when you talk with a person of the  older generation they will mostly tell you they miss the ''OLD DAYS ''

funny enough , im not old yet , but in many respects i also do
before mobile phones , fax, twitter , emails ,
when people enjoyed nature and the simpler life with real family communications
when simple real life experiences  had more value to people

it is still possible now , but it is a fading shadow of how it was once , & i think that aspect of negative progress  can be applied to many countrys

BOB
Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit; Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.

Offline Net_Lenka

« Reply #69 on: November 06, 2013, 11:11:12 PM »
And i just thought i was sharing some interesting photos  :biggrin:
Okay Here is a chance for your reabilitation - go and find something more positive about life in the USSR to share here. I think it would be more interesting because it's more rare thing among those stuff foreigners managed to dig up from internet each time they try "just to sharing something about the USSR" ( Hint-  it should not be girls in mini skirts some of you used to post like the only one positive stuff)

Why do i need to be 'rehabilitated'?  Because i shared some photos from a Russian site that a Russian friend sent me  that happen to capture  moments in time during the Soviet Union?  I didn't say anything negative about it, you're projecting.  I merely pointed how much Russia has changed since then in regards to its development.   By the way i didn't see any mini skirts in the photos. If you're memories of the Soviet Union are mostly positive, great! Why don't you share some photos  with us and enlighten us?  I'm sure people on the site would be interested to see them.....................  Nice photo Millaa!

You do need "reabilitation" if you do not want to look like tipical ignorant foreigner who used to see in the USSR only bottles of vodka long queres and out of fashen clothers And who understand little about life in former times and present if believe that changes after the falling of the Empire has many in common with what could be described like "development" in positive way of this word.
As for mini skirts than I refferen no to YOU personal but to that hobby  some of old member of these boards ( Brag was his name if I recall right, the owner of some dating agency) had. Each time when topic with photos about FSU started the only photos  he could post was bunch of pictures with young girls in mini skirt on streets "Old memebers" of this borad you do remember him , don't you?

So that bottles of vodka, poverty  and mini skirts ( well churchers like a drope of positive note) - that's foreigner' immgination about our life

So? Whish to have one more try to ruin my stereotype about ignorant foreigners ( because you only proved it) or we just be left with own ideas about each other ( again not in personal meaning but rather like typical folks from oposite sides of fence)

PS BTW the point was that it's YOU (PERSONAL) should find positive in the USSR by yourself . I did't  question the ability of MIlla to do that  Do i get it right you failed to find any by your own?

- А Вы кто такой будете?
-Тьфу на Вас
-А фамилия Ваша как?  -Тьфу на Вас еще раз .. а фамилия моя слишком известная, чтобы я её называл

Offline krassavchick

« Reply #70 on: November 07, 2013, 12:05:20 AM »
And i just thought i was sharing some interesting photos  :biggrin:
Okay Here is a chance for your reabilitation - go and find something more positive about life in the USSR to share here. I think it would be more interesting because it's more rare thing among those stuff foreigners managed to dig up from internet each time they try "just to sharing something about the USSR" ( Hint-  it should not be girls in mini skirts some of you used to post like the only one positive stuff)

Why do i need to be 'rehabilitated'?  Because i shared some photos from a Russian site that a Russian friend sent me  that happen to capture  moments in time during the Soviet Union?  I didn't say anything negative about it, you're projecting.  I merely pointed how much Russia has changed since then in regards to its development.   By the way i didn't see any mini skirts in the photos. If you're memories of the Soviet Union are mostly positive, great! Why don't you share some photos  with us and enlighten us?  I'm sure people on the site would be interested to see them.....................  Nice photo Millaa!

You do need "reabilitation" if you do not want to look like tipical ignorant foreigner who used to see in the USSR only bottles of vodka long queres and out of fashen clothers And who understand little about life in former times and present if believe that changes after the falling of the Empire has many in common with what could be described like "development" in positive way of this word.
As for mini skirts than I refferen no to YOU personal but to that hobby  some of old member of these boards ( Brag was his name if I recall right, the owner of some dating agency) had. Each time when topic with photos about FSU started the only photos  he could post was bunch of pictures with young girls in mini skirt on streets "Old memebers" of this borad you do remember him , don't you?

So that bottles of vodka, poverty  and mini skirts ( well churchers like a drope of positive note) - that's foreigner' immgination about our life

So? Whish to have one more try to ruin my stereotype about ignorant foreigners ( because you only proved it) or we just be left with own ideas about each other ( again not in personal meaning but rather like typical folks from oposite sides of fence)

PS BTW the point was that it's YOU (PERSONAL) should find positive in the USSR by yourself . I did't  question the ability of MIlla to do that  Do i get it right you failed to find any by your own?

You're still projecting.  Photos from a Russian site that capture moments in time, nothing more.  You're saying they are negative.  I've seen plenty of my friends photos to realise the Soviet Union wasn't all negative, but i don't see all the above photos as negative.  Don't you think the skirts in Molly's photos are a bit short? ))  As for present day Russia,  only a small minority would say that the development of the country [in cities at least] hasn't been huge and for the better.  You need to chill out a bit!  If you think i'm an ignorant foreigner then of course that's your perogative. 

Offline Net_Lenka

« Reply #71 on: November 07, 2013, 03:08:04 AM »

You're still projecting.  Photos from a Russian site that capture moments in time, nothing more.  You're saying they are negative.  I've seen plenty of my friends photos to realise the Soviet Union wasn't all negative, but i don't see all the above photos as negative.  Don't you think the skirts in Molly's photos are a bit short? ))  As for present day Russia, only a small minority would say that the development of the country [in cities at least] hasn't been huge and for the better.  You need to chill out a bit!  If you think i'm an ignorant foreigner then of course that's your perogative.

You still refuse to accept the opinion  your optimistic photos caused from Russian side?  - very recognizable and rather typical for these MOB boards full of experts of life in Russia. Okay for the case of just misunderstanding I repeat - issue is not the phpotos itselves, but scenes foreigners time after time preffer to pick up for shooting and posting

As for development of the country" beeing huge for the better"  than I can say with the same confidence you just  shown that only small minority whose life values go no futher than sausages and garbage " Made in China" thinks the same way (ah yeah our government, supported by "abromovichi" thinks this way as well So you are in good company :chuckle:) Difference in our statements is only I do live HERE and you are not :P 

In short my advise for others - if you wish to deal with Russian side, better think time from time why your "innoncent efforts" caused "odd" reaction - may be something wrong with you and you do what you should not? It would be better than just reading advices "do and don't in Russia" ala-a "take off you shoes at home"

Now of course in a case you wish to understand somenthing but not just to show you know better

Ps your link now corrupted but link from 2d post leade to "The pictures made by photographers George Steinmetz, Peter Turnley" not Russian at all  - they just show what foreigners preffer to pick up here
- А Вы кто такой будете?
-Тьфу на Вас
-А фамилия Ваша как?  -Тьфу на Вас еще раз .. а фамилия моя слишком известная, чтобы я её называл

Online andrewfi

• Supporting Member
« Reply #72 on: November 07, 2013, 03:26:10 AM »
Lenka, I see what you are getting at. There are certain stories and memes that are repeated over and over again. These are 'accepted truths' that, at best, only show a small part of the whole tale.

The problem is not so much that the pics exist, but the repetition of the same story so that the bigger picture is missed. An analogy might be this: How would Americans feel if the 'accepted truth' about the US was based on repeated viewings of depression era rural people or present day urban Detroit? Both have been the source of some wonderful imagery but neither reflects the greater truth of life in the USA.

Offline krassavchick

« Reply #73 on: November 07, 2013, 05:38:00 AM »
Quote from: Net_Lenka on Today
As for development of the country" beeing huge for the better"  than I can say with the same confidence you just  shown that only small minority whose life values go no futher than sausages and garbage " Made in China" thinks the same way (ah yeah our government, supported by "abromovichi" thinks this way as well So you are in good company :chuckle:) Difference in our statements is only I do live HERE and you are not :P 

Net_Lenka, you keep projecting things i  neither thought or said.  I think most Russians of a certain age [many pensioners disagee because things were free for them in the Soviet Union and it's dispicable how small the government pension is] prefer the way things are now in regards to material things.  Who doesn't like choice and plentiful food on the shelves? 

If you're talking about life values,  well most people have their core values, but beyond that it is a subjective issue is it not?  I've heard some people here [who are old enough to remember] say there are things they preferred from that time e.g. better chocolate, nice ckazki, kinder people, free education and so on.  However, i've never heard anyone that i've spoken to say they'd like to revert back to that time.    Actually, i've been living here for 8 years!

Quote from: Net_Lenka on Today
In short my advise for others - if you wish to deal with Russian side, better think time from time why your "innoncent efforts" caused "odd" reaction - may be something wrong with you and you do what you should not? It would be better than just reading advices "do and don't in Russia" ala-a "take off you shoes at home"

Something wrong with me?   If you say so  :chuckle: What you seem to forget is, these photos were sent to me by a Russian friend.   So they were sent to me from the 'Russian side'. They were not dug up by me to stereotype and cause a negative reaction.  He sent them to me as i posted here; to capture a moment in time!  If you find them overtly negative as you have said, show us some you consider better represent or more fairly represent the time and educate us ignorant foreigners.   

Offline Larry

« Reply #74 on: November 07, 2013, 06:48:42 AM »
In short my advise for others - if you wish to deal with Russian side, better think time from time why your "innoncent efforts" caused "odd" reaction - may be something wrong with you

Krassavchick,

You would be treated more leniently if you did not attempt to defend yourself, but rather recanted your errors to the representatives of the People's Commissariat for Policing of Anti-Soviet Propaganda, accepted their just chastisement, and attempted to rehabilitate yourself.  But you are apparently too much of a petite-bourgeois social fantasist to do so.  And you may also be guilty of conspiring with the arch-deviationist and wrecker Bragg.

But on a more serious note, a number of members seldom, if ever, start any threads, but instead lurk around waiting to take shots at those who do start threads that annoy them.  If they just offered up an opposing view to the material being posted who could object.  But they tend to personalize it, to say something is wrong with the thread starter for posting some particular thing in his thread.  Most commonly they won't come out and explicitly use these words; they will make the insinuation though.  And the more brazen of them, when called on this, will innocently respond - where did I say this?  It must be your poor reading comprehension that is responsible for your misreading of my post.

If these people are allowed to continue these practices, new threads will dry up.  And in an ironic twist, that would harm the interests of these perpetual critics.  It's like a parasite that drains too much blood from its host.  When the host dies the parasite suffers too.  If there are fewer new guys posting and fewer new threads, they will be deprived of the pleasure they take in hammering people on the forum. Krassavchick has started several threads with good photos of FSU.  In previous posts he has been thanked for this.  I'm certain that he didn't expect this reaction here.  I wouldn't surprise me if he doesn't start another thread. 

I have considered a number of threads to start and decided against a fair number of them because I could envision some nasty replies to them, taking me to task for having had the temerity to post them.  But with some of these topics I go ahead and post the thread anyway, because it can be satisfying to figuratively poke some of these people in the eye when they show their heads.