The World's #1 Russian, Ukrainian & Eastern European Discussion & Information Forum - RUA!

This Is the Premier Discussion Forum on the Net for Information and Discussion about Russia, Ukraine, Eastern Europe and the Former Soviet Union. Discuss Culture, Politics, Travelling, Language, International Relationships and More. Chat with Travellers, Locals, Residents and Expats. Ask and Answer Questions about Travel, Culture, Relationships, Applying for Visas, Translators, Interpreters, and More. Give Advice, Read Trip Reports, Share Experiences and Make Friends.

Author Topic: My time with Ms. Novosibirsk  (Read 10566 times)

Offline Ward_Cleaver

• Spouses Country: Russia
  • Trips: 1-5
My time with Ms. Novosibirsk
« on: September 28, 2013, 11:50:49 PM »
I have decided to document my time with Ms. Novosibirsk as a personal narrative that could be read, and hopefully enjoyed, by an audience beyond of this forum.  While comments and questions are welcome and may be responded to, I will present the narrative in the following format so that it can be easily identified as separate from any comments and responses.

So the little green airplane on the map is just flying past Philadelphia.  The flight from New York City to Salt Lake City is just under five hours but today Delta Airlines Flight 1768 is delayed over an hour.  I have been preparing since I left work today for her arrival.  I still have so much to do.  So much in fact that I have both time to kill and no time to waste.  I will shower and shave but where?  I have decided to get a room for her comfort.  Should I shower and shave here or there?  I will shower there!  And I will make it evident that I have showered there, like an animal marking their territory.  Should I be concerned that she may take offense at this?  No!  I will just do it without further consideration.

I have reserved a room at an Extended Stay America for two days.  I have made plans for us to travel on to the Grand Canyon on Friday so this will give her two days to rest and recover from her travel before we leave.  Then we will be staying in a tent for three nights.  This could be a real train wreck but it is the plan.  We will see how the next five days unfold before concerning ourselves with any further plans.  The shower and shave is long and hot.  It is a guilty pleasure of mine to be lavish with someone else's hot water on occasion.  Following the shower I relax on the bed and flip through the channels to discover there has been a recent shooting.  Commentators are discussing how this will effect second amendment rights.  Boring!  I continue to flip through the channels to find a newscast about Putin and Obama's response to the recent events in Syria.  It is interesting to me because it involves Putin.

I am not good at wasting time to I decide to go to Walmart to pick up a few items we will need for our journey to the Grand Canyon.  I could not find any of my camping gear among my storage of "stuff" so I ordered new sleeping bags, ground pads, backpacks, and a tent.  I tell myself these things will be useful this next summer when I start taking my daughters on backpacking trips this coming summer.  All of these items are scheduled to arrive tomorrow except for the tent.  It is back ordered but I found it in stock at another Walmart.  I decide to go there now to get it and some other supplies we will need.  I don't want to waste her time here with me doing things I can accomplish on my own before she arrives.  So I kick around the store as I gathering items I think we will need for our trip.  I look at my watch and am alarmed at the time.  I drop all of the items and rush out the door to my car and drive like a crazy Russian to the airport to get her.  Or course, as a precaution, I over estimate how long this will take and find myself with a long wait for her flight to arrive.

Offline welder

• Trips: None Yet
Re: My time with Ms. Novosibirsk
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2013, 12:28:07 AM »
Glad you decided to post Ward.  I am interested to read how your experience unfolded. 

Online AvHdB

• Spouses Country: Ukraine, Kiev
  • Trips: 20+
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2013, 01:24:55 AM »
Ward, I look forward to reading this.

I also have found the placing in text in my TR in a different colour handy, some are challenged with the quoting on RUA, the different colour helps.

Curious did you misplace your swords and rapiers amongst your storage unit?
“If you aren't in over your head, how do you know how tall you are?” T.S. Eliot

Offline Ward_Cleaver

« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2013, 08:24:42 AM »
An hour seems like a long time to wait, especially for a someone like me.  I am reminded of how thankful I am to have finished my adolescence before terms such as ADHD and prescriptions for ritalin were so popular for children.  There is nothing wrong with having a mind that want to be actively engaged in things it finds interesting.  The airport is dead.  If only there were someone here to talk to, about something, anything.  The glass elevator is interesting.  You can see most all of its inner workings.  I look back to the opportunity to study engineering in college as a highlight of my life.  I spent nine years of my life in this environment.  Sometimes I am bothered that I make less money than some of my classmates who finished there undergraduate degree with me and never really mastered the concepts like I have.  But money has never really been an incentive for me.  I was taught to be responsible and frugal with money but my passions are for learning and experiencing new things.

I should be waiting on the lower level but I have a better view of inner workings of the elevator on the upper level where that passengers will be passing through the security check point.  I wonder if that security guard will make me go back downstairs.  I am the only one here.  Except for that rather large woman with dark skin and a cart full of luggage approaching.  I say hello to here and she responds with a thick accent that sounds familiar to me.  "Вы говорите па русскии?!"  She responds in the affirmative with far more information than I can comprehend.  "Я только немного понимаю русский."  She smiles.  "Это ваш чемодан?"  ... "Это ваш рюкзак?" ... "Где ваш билет?"  She is very patient and kind to let me practice my limited Russian with her.  I am fortunate to have learned a few travel related nouns this week in the Russian language class I am taking this semester at the local community college.  Her English is limited but I learn the she is waiting for her friend on the same flight.  Her friend soon arrives and I dismiss her with a polite До свидания and a smile.

Waiting.  Why does it sometimes seem like the closer you are to something the slower it approaches?  What if I have already missed her?  What if she passed by during my silly conversation with that woman about her luggage?  I think I would have recognized her but sometimes people look different in real life.  This whole thing has happened so fast.  It all started a just few weeks ago when I woke up to a message on Elena's Models from this tall, beautiful, red head.  It was only one word, "Hallo".  I responded to that message that morning with much appreciation, explaining how it was a pleasure to wake up to such a nice gesture.  It makes me smile to think of it now.

We were soon having chat and video discussions on Skype.  We were only a few lines into our first chat before she expressed interest in visiting me and telling my how much money it would cost.  My heart sank.  It is the classic scam, a Russian woman asking for money to come visit you.  I have been chasing this dream, if only in my mind, for years now.  The thought of marrying a beautiful Russian woman has consumed me since my divorce about seven years ago.  Except for the last year.  I started to doubt that it would ever happen.  Maybe it is really just a myth.  The thought of the wonderful women I have dismissed and the time I have wasted chasing a dream has lead to drinking far more that I would like to admit.  I am not proud of the man I have become over that last year.  Old, broken, depressed, unmotivated.  But the past few weeks have been like the beginning of a new life for me.  The cool, crisp morning air I breath as I go to the campus gym to workout is rejuvenating.  This routine before class each morning seems to be doing wonders for my elbow.  I carry a heavy weight in my left hand between reps and sets to stretch it out and extend my range of motion.  I refuse to accept anything short of a fully recovery from the accident and two surgeries last winter.

So I continued to chat with this red head from Elena's Models, asking about visas, time frames, etc.  Everything she said and everything I could find out about her on the internet was consistent.  So we made plans for the trip together and now I am here ... waiting for her now at the airport.  And there she is!  Ms. Novosibirsk!  She smiles and waves shyly as she passes though the security portal.  I smile, boldly approach and embrace her in my arms.  She is really here, now, with me!

Offline Herrie

• Tech Group
  • Trips: 10-20
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2013, 11:27:05 AM »
Interesting read so far, waiting for the rest  :popcorn:  :popcorn:  :popcorn:

Offline Eduard

• Commercial member
    • realrussianmatch.com
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2013, 01:04:11 PM »
 :thumbsup:

Offline Slumba

• 10:27 AM
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2013, 01:14:17 PM »
Ward, fascinating read, please continue!  tiphat
Anchors Rewoven

Offline Manny

« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2013, 02:51:04 PM »
What a nice writing style you have Phil.  :thumbsup:

Itching for the next bit....
Read a trip report from North Korea >>here<< - Read a trip report from South Korea, China and Hong Kong >>here<<

Look what the American media makes some people believe:
Putin often threatens to strike US with nuclear weapons.

Offline Anteros

« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2013, 10:05:56 PM »
Hi Ward,

You have a very good writing style.  It's a great story, thank you for sharing.  It's good to know that you did not give up your dream, even though it's taken probably much longer than you would have liked.   :thumbsup:   :popcorn:
Be careful what you wish for, you might get it.

Offline rosco

• Supporting Member
« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2013, 12:16:37 PM »
Nice stuff Ward but whatever you do......don't do a Bruce Lee!

:popcorn:

Offline Ward_Cleaver

« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2013, 03:23:24 PM »
What a nice writing style you have Phil.  :thumbsup:

Thanks but now you have me nervous with you high expectations. :)

Nice stuff Ward but whatever you do......don't do a Bruce Lee!

Maybe it is to late for that.  I don't know what a Bruce Lee is.

Offline Ward_Cleaver

« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2013, 04:21:42 PM »
I ask how her trip was and discover that it was a good thing that the departure for this flight was delayed.  She explained to me that she had a little difficulty getting into the country.  The border patrol could not understand why a young, attractive girl like this would, of all places, be coming to Salt Lake City, Utah.  Apparently she was smart enough tell the officer what he needed to hear to appease his curiosity and gain access to the country.  We hold hands as we decent the stairs together to the luggage carousel.  I hold her close as we watch the same bags rotate past us over and over again.  Occasionally a new piece of luggage would join the parade.  Each time with the same anticipation that it might be "the one" followed by the let down that it is not.  The spectators to this luggage merry-go-round thin as bags are claimed until finally the performance comes to an end and the lonely, unclaimed baggage remain on the carousel.  Shit, this is not good.

Since this is my airport I take her by the hand and lead her to the Delta baggage claim help desk.  I prepare to take care of the situation for her when I quickly realize that she is capable of taking care of herself and that, at least in this instance, my help is not needed.  I respect her independence and admire her for being able to her take care of the situation herself.  I think about how screwed I would be in this situation if I were in Russia.  The Delta representative continues to type a novel's worth of characters into her system before she can tell us that the luggage is still in New York.  It appears as thought her extended episode with the border patrol has delayed her luggage.  They set her up with a package of essentials and give us the option of either coming back in the morning for her luggage or having it delivered in the afternoon.  It is apparent to me that she would prefer not to wait so I tell them that we will be back in the morning to get her things.  She is a bit disappointed at having to wait for her things but she is also tired so a warm smile and chuckle from me helps to put her at ease about the situation.  "Adventure!", I exclaim.  She smiles back and we make our way to my car.

As we make our way home in my car she starts to look through her purse and all around her frantically for something.  I inquire and she tells me that she does not know where her phone is.  "Где твой телефон?"  She tells me that she thinks she has left it in the bathroom just before she came through the security portal to meet me.  I flip the car around and head back to the airport.  We park the car and rush up to the place where we had first met and explain our situation to the security woman who was manning the barrier between us and the phone.  The security woman calls for assistance and a man comes out to talk to us.  We, again, explain our predicament to the man and he sends a woman into the bathroom to look for it.  Bad news.  It was not found in the bathroom.  She begs them to please look again explaining exactly where she would expect it to be.  Reluctantly they appease us but provide us with the same information.  It was not found in the bathroom.  What an end to a very long journey for Ms. Novosibirsk - no luggage and no phone.  We walk back to the car, holding hands, as I feel and listen to her disappointment and sunken heart.  "Everything is in my phone." she tells me, "My family, except for my brother, does not even know I am here and I don't even have their phone numbers."  Wait, your mother doesn't know you are here?  "No, I did not want to concern them with these things.  I told my mother I was leaving on a business trip."  "Well," I tell her, "we will go back in the morning, get your luggage, and look for your phone again."

Offline welder

« Reply #12 on: September 30, 2013, 04:27:47 PM »
Yikes, what a shitty ordeal for your friend.  That would suck!

Offline TomT

« Reply #13 on: September 30, 2013, 05:02:38 PM »
Customs and Border Protection was just fishing. They need good cause to turn a traveler back.

Offline Anteros

« Reply #14 on: September 30, 2013, 06:40:17 PM »
She sounds like a real trooper to me, because although this situation would be very upsetting to any normal person, she is not blowing a fuse over it, she seems to be dealing with it patiently.
Be careful what you wish for, you might get it.

Offline Mikeav8r

• Keep the shiny side up and the dirty side down...
  • Trips: 5-10
« Reply #15 on: September 30, 2013, 11:08:51 PM »
Ward,

It is not often I enjoy being wrong, but I have to admit that I am very pleased to be wrong about this situation.  I am not proud to admit I was a doubter that this woman would arrive but am very happy for you that she did.  Your story is fantastic so far.  I look forward to reading more.

:thumbsup: :reading:
Two Favorites:
1.  You have 2 ears and 1 mouth, therefor you should listen twice as much as you speak. -Confucius
2.  If you want to give God a good laugh, tell him your plans. - Anon

Online andrewfi

• Supporting Member
    • Articles About Almost Anything!
« Reply #16 on: October 01, 2013, 02:39:37 AM »
Ward,

It is not often I enjoy being wrong, but I have to admit that I am very pleased to be wrong about this situation.  I am not proud to admit I was a doubter that this woman would arrive but am very happy for you that she did.  Your story is fantastic so far.  I look forward to reading more.

Please allow me to echo!
I truly hope that matters proceed as you seem to be hoping they will.
...everything ends always well; if it’s still bad, then it’s not the end!

Offline welder

« Reply #17 on: October 03, 2013, 12:42:55 AM »
Ward, when is the next installment?  Wifey and I are hooked as this has been a good read.  Hoping your schedule allows for further posts in the near future.

Offline Millaa

• looking for a hero
  • Spouses Country: Hayshenway
« Reply #18 on: October 03, 2013, 03:46:23 PM »
Ward,

Please allow me to echo!

Интуиция меня никогда не подводила  ;D

Ward, I'm unpatiently waiting for Crand Canyon photoes  :-X
Скептический ум - страшное оружие с собственным счастьем

Offline Eduard

• Commercial member
    • realrussianmatch.com
« Reply #19 on: October 03, 2013, 04:14:29 PM »
Ward,

Please allow me to echo!

sounds like some kind of kinky foot fetish!  :chuckle: I like your way of thinking, Milaa!  :party0011:

Offline Mikeav8r

« Reply #20 on: October 03, 2013, 05:00:19 PM »
Ward,

Please allow me to echo!

Photos or no photos....the next chapter would be nice...Ward, you are leaving us hanging.....  :reading:
Two Favorites:
1.  You have 2 ears and 1 mouth, therefor you should listen twice as much as you speak. -Confucius

Offline cufflinks

• Supporting Member
« Reply #21 on: October 03, 2013, 05:55:18 PM »
Ward all the best...

Remember Russian Ladies - like fortune herself favor the bold:

http://theboldnesscode.com/replay/

Offline Ward_Cleaver

« Reply #22 on: October 03, 2013, 10:30:33 PM »
Sorry guys, I've been a but busy.  I just got back from fencing tonight and I am beat.  I've got a test tomorrow in my Russian class and I've been working a lot on the house project.  Maybe tomorrow.  I know you are all waiting to hear about the telephone and luggage and everything else.

Offline Mikeav8r

« Reply #23 on: October 03, 2013, 10:45:34 PM »
Sorry guys, I've been a but busy.  I just got back from fencing tonight and I am beat.  I've got a test tomorrow in my Russian class and I've been working a lot on the house project.  Maybe tomorrow.  I know you are all waiting to hear about the telephone and luggage and everything else.

No worries Ward....

Are you done yet?

Well?

Kidding...have a good rest.....
Two Favorites:

Online AvHdB

• Spouses Country: Ukraine, Kiev
« Reply #24 on: October 03, 2013, 10:47:51 PM »
Sorry guys, I've been a but busy. . . . I know you are all waiting to hear about the telephone and luggage and everything else.

It is not only guys that are waiting and at least for myself I am not so interested in telephone and luggage. So focus on the everything else.  :nod:
“If you aren't in over your head, how do you know how tall you are?” T.S. Eliot