The World's #1 Russian, Ukrainian & Eastern European Discussion & Information Forum - RUA!

This Is the Premier Discussion Forum on the Net for Information and Discussion about Russia, Ukraine, Eastern Europe and the Former Soviet Union. Discuss Culture, Politics, Travelling, Language, International Relationships and More. Chat with Travellers, Locals, Residents and Expats. Ask and Answer Questions about Travel, Culture, Relationships, Applying for Visas, Translators, Interpreters, and More. Give Advice, Read Trip Reports, Share Experiences and Make Friends.

Author Topic: Diet Cola anyone?  (Read 192 times)

Offline Anteros

• Trips: 1-5
Diet Cola anyone?
« on: August 28, 2013, 11:09:12 PM »

Guess what aspartame is made from. Hint: It rhymes with 'hoop'
2 days ago

So, you know that artificial sweetener that soft drink companies are telling you is perfectly safe? Well, aspartame might be safe, but apparently it's made with, um, bacteria poop. And not even natural bacteria poop, but genetically-modified bacteria poop. Franken-poop! Anyway, the patent for aspartame production, filed in 1981, is now available online, and it turns out that aspartame is made by feeding genetically modified E. coli bacteria, harvesting their protein waste (which contains the aspartic acid-phenylalanine amino acid segment aspartame is made from) and then adding methanol to the harvested proteins. So think about that the next time you chug down your morning Big Gulp of diet soda. [Source]
Be careful what you wish for, you might get it.

Offline Muzh_1

Re: Diet Cola anyone?
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2013, 09:10:12 AM »
Two of the components of aspartame (phenylalanine and aspartic acid which are amino acids) are chiral, meaning that they have two isomers that are non-superimposable mirror images. If the incorrect isomers are used, the aspartame molecule will not have the correct shape to fit the binding site of the 'sweetness' receptors on the tongue.

In the synthesis of aspartame, the starting materials are a racemic mixture (equal quantities of both isomers) of phenylalanine, and aspartic acid. Only the L isomer of phenylalanine is desired for use. This L isomer may be separated from the D isomer by a chemical pretreatment, followed by a reaction with the enzyme porcine kidney acylase. The final separation occurs with an acidic aqueous and organic extraction, where the L isomer is more soluble in the aqueous layer and the D isomer is more soluble in the organic layer.

Treatment of L-phenylalanine with methanol in the presence hydrochloric acid causes an ester reaction with the acid group on the phenylalanine. The product is the methyl ester of phenylalanine.

The final goal is to react the methyl ester of phenylalamine with aspartic acid to give the dipeptide amide structure. A series of reactions is required so that only the acid of the base amino acid is reacted. The acid group on the side chain is protected so that it does not react.

P.S. This was my Organic Chemistry final exam in 1976.

Offline Anteros

« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2013, 12:21:22 PM »
Two of the components of aspartame (phenylalanine and aspartic acid which are amino acids) are chiral, meaning that they have two isomers that are non-superimposable mirror images. If the incorrect isomers are used, the aspartame molecule will not have the correct shape to fit the binding site of the 'sweetness' receptors on the tongue.

In the synthesis of aspartame, the starting materials are a racemic mixture (equal quantities of both isomers) of phenylalanine, and aspartic acid. Only the L isomer of phenylalanine is desired for use. This L isomer may be separated from the D isomer by a chemical pretreatment, followed by a reaction with the enzyme porcine kidney acylase. The final separation occurs with an acidic aqueous and organic extraction, where the L isomer is more soluble in the aqueous layer and the D isomer is more soluble in the organic layer.

Treatment of L-phenylalanine with methanol in the presence hydrochloric acid causes an ester reaction with the acid group on the phenylalanine. The product is the methyl ester of phenylalanine.

The final goal is to react the methyl ester of phenylalamine with aspartic acid to give the dipeptide amide structure. A series of reactions is required so that only the acid of the base amino acid is reacted. The acid group on the side chain is protected so that it does not react.

I believe that there are 72 complaints to the FDA about side effects of Aspartame, not that those jokers care, they come from the Big Pharma Corporations and they rubber stamp most of this crap to be approved. 

Methanol is made out of wood alcohol, something which whino's drink and then go blind or die.

Aspartame is a neuro toxin and extremely dangerous to children, which is why in Europe it is outlawed for consumption by minors.

Once Aspartame gets into the brain and other organs, the body does not have a normal way to break it down and get rid of it.  Anyone who puts this crap, and I do mean crap (as in a chemical shit storm), into their bodies is asking for trouble.

Ironically Aspartame is supposed to help men and mostly women watch their diet, but the opposite happens.  Most people who drink this stuff on a regular basis actually gain weight.

Offline Muzh_1

« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2013, 12:56:27 PM »

I believe that there are 72 complaints to the FDA about side effects of Aspartame, not that those jokers care, they come from the Big Pharma Corporations and they rubber stamp most of this crap to be approved. 

Methanol is made out of wood alcohol, something which whino's drink and then go blind or die.

Aspartame is a neuro toxin and extremely dangerous to children, which is why in Europe it is outlawed for consumption by minors.

Once Aspartame gets into the brain and other organs, the body does not have a normal way to break it down and get rid of it.  Anyone who puts this crap, and I do mean crap (as in a chemical shit storm), into their bodies is asking for trouble.

Ironically Aspartame is supposed to help men and mostly women watch their diet, but the opposite happens.  Most people who drink this stuff on a regular basis actually gain weight.

Please, don't say stuff like that.

Aspartame is a combination of two amino acids.

The reason there are some concerns is because the body readily breaks down this molecule and can be harmful to those who suffer from phenyketonuria. There is a good definition in wiki. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phenylketonuria

Bottom line, this condition afflicts humans since babies as it is a recessive mutation which can be determined at a very early state. Drinking Aspartame-containing products will NOT create the condition.

Offline Anteros

« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2013, 01:13:26 PM »

Please, don't say stuff like that.

Aspartame is a combination of two amino acids.

The reason there are some concerns is because the body readily breaks down this molecule and can be harmful to those who suffer from phenyketonuria. There is a good definition in wiki. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phenylketonuria

Bottom line, this condition afflicts humans since babies as it is a recessive mutation which can be determined at a very early state. Drinking Aspartame-containing products will NOT create the condition.

Aspartame is a genetically modified Franken chemical and I'm very surprised that a guy like you would be a supporter considering that Donald Rumsfeld was once the CEO of Monsanto.  Yes they are also the wonderful people who brought Agent Orange to the world.

There are indeed 92 serious symptoms which have been complained about to the FDA, more than any other drug.

(edit:  92 symptoms)

Offline Muzh_1

« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2013, 01:51:06 PM »

Franken? As in Frankenstein monster?

Aspartame made of amino acids phenyalanine and aspartic acid.

Phenylalanine - Naturally occurring essential amino acid is one of about twenty used to produce proteins. Ever heard of proteins? Your muscles are protein. Phenylalanine is a precursor for the amino acid Tyrosine. Between you and me, no tyrosine and you'll be sick as a dog every single day of your life. Not to mention that without Tyrosine, you'll never be able to get your 'natural' high, you dope. Want to make sure your child do not ingest phenylalanine, make sure his mother don't breast feed.

Aspartic acid - Where did this amino acid came from when it was first isolated? Come on, this should be simple. A-s-p-a-r..... CORRECT! Asparagus. This non-essential amino acid is the precursor to several amino acids, including four that are essential for humans: methionine, threonine, isoleucine, and lysine. IF you should lack this little bugger, be sure you carry candies, lots of them, with you wherever you go. Also, make sure you set up your alarm so you can take your fix ON A REGULAR BASIS. Not to mention, your peeing will be extremely painful.

That we take these two combined in esterified form is new. Still, your body's enzymes readily breaks them down and are utilized very effectively.

Now, please understand that as in everywhere, there are exceptions to the rule.

That Monsanto synthesized this first? Why are you so surprised? They have very deep pockets for research and they make stuff that even YOU need for your daily survival. So they made agent orange. So Rumsfeld was their CEO. So what are you telling me there? Does it surprise you that a capitalist enterprise takes profit over humans?

What are you trying to tell me?

Offline Mikeav8r

• Keep the shiny side up and the dirty side down...
  • Spouses Country: Russia
  • Trips: 5-10
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2013, 03:32:00 PM »
Doesn't something occur in Aspertame when it reaches a certain temperature that can make it somewhat similar to Arsenic?  I am not some conspiracy theorist, just repeating what a colleague said as to why he doesn't drink diet sodas anymore, so don't shoot the messenger.  The soda containers (for fountains) are typically stored in areas that can reach extreme heat and he, among others, have had stomach issues after drinking diet drinks.  I am just wondering if there is a possible link.  I personally do not drink diet, nor use any artificial sweetener (other than Stevia (Truvia')) which is natural and supposed to be the best alternate.  :biggrin:
Two Favorites:
1.  You have 2 ears and 1 mouth, therefor you should listen twice as much as you speak. -Confucius
2.  If you want to give God a good laugh, tell him your plans. - Anon

Offline Muzh_1

« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2013, 03:46:17 PM »

Offline AJ

« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2013, 04:10:21 PM »
Just as a point of correction:
The  GD Searle corp (ran by Searle) developed aspartame in 1965, later  branding it and a subsidiary NutraSweet.
Monsanto did not acquire GD Searle and its NutraSweet division until 1985 ,some  20 years after initial development.  ( I've had a really weird life. One of the few *real* jobs I've held, I was hired as a superintendent and ran  the main waste treatment plant handling their  discharge (high in toluene) those years, and  I remember seeing the  Monsanto hats issued -  I changed back to something I truly enjoyed doing , shortly afterwards)

Anyway, whether mundane sweetener, or  killer of all life as we know it..
its really doubtful Rumsfeld had anything to do with Aspartame's development or  marketing, Nutrasweet was a very well known , branded name  when Monsanto bought it.

If i recall, it did already have some negative publicity.
Maybe they got a good deal?
Either way they sold it off on 2000.

I do not drink diet drinks,  really do not like the taste .
she had a hip with bad habits , and a shake that was a bit obscene

Offline TomT

• Trips: 10-20
"Get away from the keyboard little man. I know where you live." (Message left in my facebook mailbox by our resident psychopath.)

Offline Anteros

« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2013, 05:13:43 PM »
Rats can eat copious amounts of honey, brown sugar or white sugar and not get tumors.  Rats who were fed Aspartame got tumors.

It is a known carcinogen and Neuro toxin.

Clever people eat nature based foods, not hyper-manipulated chemicals.

Offline Anteros

« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2013, 05:14:25 PM »
Whoops..

Offline TomT

• Trips: 10-20
« Reply #12 on: August 29, 2013, 05:45:48 PM »
Clever people know that bacteria and fungi poop are necessary for the production of wine, beer, cheese, yogurt, sour cream, bread and a host of other fermented products.
"Get away from the keyboard little man. I know where you live." (Message left in my facebook mailbox by our resident psychopath.)

Offline Mikeav8r

• Keep the shiny side up and the dirty side down...
  • Spouses Country: Russia
Two Favorites:
1.  You have 2 ears and 1 mouth, therefor you should listen twice as much as you speak. -Confucius
2.  If you want to give God a good laugh, tell him your plans. - Anon

Offline Anteros

« Reply #14 on: August 29, 2013, 06:45:07 PM »
 :GRRRR:
Clever people know that bacteria and fungi poop are necessary for the production of wine, beer, cheese, yogurt, sour cream, bread and a host of other fermented products.

That's real cute Tom, but doesn't change the fact that what you listed above for the most part are natural products and not hype-manipulated chemicals with methanol.

Offline Donhollio

« Reply #15 on: August 30, 2013, 08:11:55 AM »
I briefly drank diet Pepsi. I gave it up after getting that methanol aftertaste that lasted for hours. I knew this couldn't be good for someone to ingest, so now I seek out colas that are made with real sugar, not corn sugar. Pepsi Retro is a nice offering using the old recipe from the 70's.

Registration