The World's #1 Russian, Ukrainian & Eastern European Discussion & Information Forum - RUA!

This Is the Premier Discussion Forum on the Net for Information and Discussion about Russia, Ukraine, Eastern Europe and the Former Soviet Union. Discuss Culture, Politics, Travelling, Language, International Relationships and More. Chat with Travellers, Locals, Residents and Expats. Ask and Answer Questions about Travel, Culture, Relationships, Applying for Visas, Translators, Interpreters, and More. Give Advice, Read Trip Reports, Share Experiences and Make Friends.

Author Topic: Chinese Women: The New Ukraine?  (Read 36909 times)

Online Guile

Re: Chinese Women: The New Ukraine?
« Reply #225 on: June 29, 2018, 04:23:22 AM »
back to the thread topic....if you want a Chinese woman just find one in your own city or country.  There is mass Chinese diaspora all over North America and Europe.  If they grew up in your country all the better as they would speak English and know the culture.

Ones from HK and Taiwan tend to be more progressive thinking and adaptable.  The nouveau riche from the mainland coming to my city now are highly arrogant and even the other Chinese groups think poorly of them. 

Offline Omega1982

• Spouses Country: Not determined / USA
  • Trips: 5-10
« Reply #226 on: October 13, 2019, 01:22:45 AM »
back to the thread topic....if you want a Chinese woman just find one in your own city or country.  There is mass Chinese diaspora all over North America and Europe.  If they grew up in your country all the better as they would speak English and know the culture.

Ones from HK and Taiwan tend to be more progressive thinking and adaptable.  The nouveau riche from the mainland coming to my city now are highly arrogant and even the other Chinese groups think poorly of them.

Yet according to Manny which travels to China frequently on business, it will be the next Ukraine, so which one is it? 

Offline Manny

• Spouses Country: Russia
  • Trips: 20+
« Reply #227 on: October 16, 2019, 12:22:03 PM »
I've been to China and its near regions quite a few times now and have some observations on the subject. 

Guile (who is Chinese) made this comment:

if you want a Chinese woman just find one in your own city or country.  There is mass Chinese diaspora all over North America and Europe.  If they grew up in your country all the better as they would speak English and know the culture.

I know why he says this.

Ones from HK and Taiwan tend to be more progressive thinking and adaptable. 

And this. And I agree.

Mainland women who have not travelled very much seem to be rather provincial in their thinking. You get this with Russian/FSU women from remote areas similarly. I think such women struggle in a relationship with a westerner as they lack the worldview (one gets from travel and/or international education) and emotional tools required. It may be the case that some of them are like a blank page waiting to be written on, and some men like that. Some men like to mould a woman into what they think she should be. In that case, any provincial woman would do, be she from Siberia, Guangzhou or Arkansas.

If you are looking for a more rounded Chinese woman with the required English language level, and especially the worldview and emotional tools required, if on the mainland, you need one who has travelled somewhat and had significant exposure to foreigners. Perhaps through work. Translators working for companies who trade abroad and those working in universities are the obvious pool to swim in here, but there will be others. Generally speaking, women who have good English have it for a reason and not by chance. I'd be avoiding mainland women with low or zero English. That will be a tall hill to climb with both language and culture issues to overcome.

With women from Beijing and Shanghai you'll be competing with Chinese guys who have money, language and local culture. Good luck with that.  :chuckle:   

In Hong Kong, Taiwan and Macau you will find women who have been more exposed to western culture, english language, education and media. Those places are not cheap to play in. But many western guys are marrying and exporting women from there (many choose to stay there actually).

For Americans, ABC women as they are called (American Born Chinese) would be a better bet, probably. But I don't know the supply and demand situation in the US.

The middle ground - best of both worlds if you like - might be the Pearl River Delta region. Close to Hong Kong and Macau, it is still mainland China but having Guangzhou, Guangdong and Shenzhen in the region means lots of international companies, lots of international trade fairs, lots of English speaking women. Foreigners are not unusual there. Indeed, our advertisers in the right column run tours there for a reason.  :nod:

Read a trip report from North Korea >>here<< - Read a trip report from South Korea, China and Hong Kong >>here<<

Look what the American media makes some people believe:
Putin often threatens to strike US with nuclear weapons.

Offline NS1

• Supporting Member
  • Trips: 5-10
« Reply #228 on: October 16, 2019, 04:56:25 PM »
I would have never likely done well in an adventure in this world.
One I really like the classic slavic look, high on the list after that is spanish women.
I also typically long strong willed women, even if its more difficult at times.

Cultural differences take work and learning from both sides.
Sometimes the hardest parts, regardless of the search is being dead honest
with your object of your affections. Reality is if you get them to your world, they will learn the whole
truth. Telling them and making sure they understand is truly valuable to the process and chance of success.
There is nothing permanent except change.

Online Guile

« Reply #229 on: October 18, 2019, 01:06:04 AM »
If you are watching all the Hong Kong protests right now you'll know they have a deep resentment of China and how it wants to control them.

Painting all Chinese people in one brush is a huge generalization.  There's over 50 million overseas Chinese alone, that's enough people for a large country.  Even Singapore or Malaysia have huge ethnic Chinese populations.  And they speak English there, although their accent is one of the most annoying. 

I don't know who here has "yellow fever".  It seems for white Caucasian men it's a big thing.  There's quite a few interracial couples in my city.

If they are already in a western country like USA, UK for a long time then they most likely have assimilated into the culture.  They would have no need to date a "foreigner".