The World's #1 Russian, Ukrainian & Eastern European Discussion & Information Forum - RUA!

This Is the Premier Discussion Forum on the Net for Information and Discussion about Russia, Ukraine, Eastern Europe and the Former Soviet Union. Discuss Culture, Politics, Travelling, Language, International Relationships and More. Chat with Travellers, Locals, Residents and Expats. Ask and Answer Questions about Travel, Culture, Relationships, Applying for Visas, Translators, Interpreters, and More. Give Advice, Read Trip Reports, Share Experiences and Make Friends.

Author Topic: Gifts when meeting with RW?  (Read 40212 times)

Offline missAmeno

• Spouses Country: ukraine
Re: Gifts when meeting with RW?
« Reply #50 on: January 07, 2013, 12:56:38 PM »

I thought the cook book wouldn't of been received as well as it has, it's been taken to show English students, mother and friends, result no more Borsch  :smokin:

In such case get her rack of spices.
Hypocrisy is the state of pretending to have beliefs, opinions, virtues, ideals, thoughts, feelings, qualities, or standards that one does not actually have. Hypocrisy involves the deception of others and is thus a kind of lie.

Offline Muzh_1

« Reply #51 on: January 07, 2013, 01:04:06 PM »

It's nice when you can share gifts, enjoy together ;)
of course  :nod:
that's why girls like jewellery so much  ;D
Also this is why men love lingerie as a gift to their women :chuckle:

:thumbsup:  :thumbsup:

Offline ashbyclarke

• Spouses Country: Russia
  • Trips: 20+
« Reply #52 on: January 07, 2013, 01:11:55 PM »
As if we've been starving here  :8)
and we are starving  :nod:
don't forget you live in very poor country  :innocent:
:thumbsup:

It's nice when you can share gifts, enjoy together ;)
of course  :nod:
that's why girls like jewellery so much  ;D
Also this is why men love lingerie as a gift to their women :chuckle:

Not just lingerie, I like to buy dresses also  :8)

I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're gonna feel all day - Frank Sinatra

Offline Chris

• Spouses Country: Chernivtsi, Ukraine
« Reply #53 on: January 07, 2013, 01:25:02 PM »
Can anybody explain me why it has to be food? :'(

HP Sauce because she'd like to try a good old bacon and egg sandwich, you can't have that without HP  ;D

You had better take some good bacon then, never had good bacon over there yet, I think they can supply the eggs though   :-X  :chuckle:
Слава Україні

Offline ashbyclarke

« Reply #54 on: January 07, 2013, 01:27:54 PM »
Can anybody explain me why it has to be food? :'(

HP Sauce because she'd like to try a good old bacon and egg sandwich, you can't have that without HP  ;D

You had better take some good bacon then, never had good bacon over there yet, I think they can supply the eggs though   :-X  :chuckle:

Certainly am taking my own bacon, figure it'll be fine in luggage! Shame I can't get a loaf of bread packed !!
I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're gonna feel all day - Frank Sinatra

Offline Manny

« Reply #55 on: January 07, 2013, 02:38:34 PM »
Shame I can't get a loaf of bread packed !!

I have been known to take a Warbies to Estonia (not to mention bacon and sausage). A cardboard box ensures it stays in the luggage undamaged.  :-X

If you are going to knock her up a bacon butty, you'll need to take it all with you.
Read a trip report from North Korea >>here<< - Read a trip report from South Korea, China and Hong Kong >>here<<

Look what the American media makes some people believe:
Putin often threatens to strike US with nuclear weapons.

Offline Ste

• RIP
  • Beware of Muslamic Rayguns
  • Spouses Country: The Planet Zanussi
  • Trips: 5-10
« Reply #56 on: January 07, 2013, 02:47:31 PM »

I have been known to take a Warbies to Estonia (not to mention bacon and sausage). A cardboard box ensures it stays in the luggage undamaged.  :-X

If you are going to knock her up a bacon butty, you'll need to take it all with you.

Having worked at Warbies for summer job as a student you wouldn't eat it if you knew what we did in the dough vats.

Hereford St, Bolton! Nearest pub, The Cricketers on Chalfont St, I think! Happy days, I lost a lot of snot over that period....

Having said that, I still eat it!

You also need a slab of Anchor Best Butter, that might be not so easy tho...

Morrisons do some quality expensive bacon, not that dear but not the usual shite, I recently did 12 rashers on a single butty and almost bluewatered after.....

Bluewater is a little RUS/ENG language joke, ask the misses!
O pointy birds, o pointy pointy, Anoint my head, anointy-nointy.

Offline sparky114

« Reply #57 on: January 08, 2013, 01:25:13 AM »
Well sorry to break the delusion  (:)

But seeing that these days i spend an amount of my time in Russia

I buy Bacon from the super market or the market, mainly it is smoked and at times a little on the salty side but a soak in water for a while sorts that out :thumbsup: i can buy and have in my cupboard Heinz tomato ketchup and Heinz brown sauce also Heinz baked beans all of which i have brought in my Russian town

I can buy a good quality  baguette and get salted butter and even buy cook in sauces for curry nights, even Swartz cook in packets are starting to show up these days :)

If you had asked me 3 years ago to go and find these of course they were not there but these days it gets easier to make what i want to eat as a posed to salad and soup most days  ;D

Ohh i nearly forgot "Cadbury's " chocolate as well is turning up here now :)

The only thing they dont have here yet is a good old British Banger :(
Today is only one day in a life of happiness

Mark

Offline Chris

« Reply #58 on: January 08, 2013, 03:30:12 AM »

I buy Bacon from the super market or the market, mainly it is smoked and at times a little on the salty side but a soak in water for a while sorts that out :thumbsup: i can buy and have in my cupboard Heinz tomato ketchup and Heinz brown sauce also Heinz baked beans all of which i have brought in my Russian town

I can buy a good quality  baguette and get salted butter and even buy cook in sauces for curry nights, even Swartz cook in packets are starting to show up these days :)

If you had asked me 3 years ago to go and find these of course they were not there but these days it gets easier to make what i want to eat as a posed to salad and soup most days  ;D

All well and good Sparky, but its a bit far to go for a weekly shop when you are in Ukraine  :chuckle:
Слава Україні

Offline sparky114

« Reply #59 on: January 08, 2013, 04:07:19 AM »

All well and good Sparky, but its a bit far to go for a weekly shop when you are in Ukraine  :chuckle:

Its more of a case of stating things are changing fast, so try looking in the stores you will be surprised what you can find these days  :coffeeread:

Yep long way and you got get past the border controls  :chuckle:
Today is only one day in a life of happiness

Mark

Offline Chris

« Reply #60 on: January 08, 2013, 06:32:16 AM »

Its more of a case of stating things are changing fast, so try looking in the stores you will be surprised what you can find these days  :coffeeread:

Yep long way and you got get past the border controls  :chuckle:

:laugh:   I know, as of last August/September they didn't have the good stuff in my wifes City.
Слава Україні

Online andrewfi

• Supporting Member
    • Articles About Almost Anything!
« Reply #61 on: January 08, 2013, 06:57:53 AM »
Nadia has become addicted to gravy and Carrs Pasties (Bolton only) and Heinz Baked Beans but has yet to appreciate HP Brown Sauce or indeed the British Sausage.

And she asks for a Chicken Korma in the Indian but very, very, very mild so after seven years here she's not moved up the spice-league at all really...

If she can't manage proper English food after 7 years then send her back.
Appreciating a good ring stinger has to be a sure sign of assimilation - the inability to do so showing the contrary.
...everything ends always well; if it’s still bad, then it’s not the end!

Offline ashbyclarke

« Reply #62 on: January 08, 2013, 10:54:22 AM »

I forget that Heinz now own the HP Brand  :snivel:

Offline ashbyclarke

« Reply #63 on: January 08, 2013, 10:56:19 AM »

Handy tip!  tiphat

Offline cufflinks

• Supporting Member
  • Trips: 1-5
« Reply #64 on: January 08, 2013, 11:27:33 AM »

I forget that Heinz now own the HP Brand  :snivel:

Loved the traditional bacon and eggs and mixed fruit breakfast at the Lymm Village Inn when I worked in Warrington along with real brewed coffee - not like the instant damned Nescafe machine at the office....   which was graitis care of the client company....

However the British Blood Sausage was never even close to an acquired taste and the Brit Bangers were a bit too fatty and bland for someone raised on Jones Farm Maple Breakfast snausages....  was able to order smoked salmon on something like a bagel with cream cheese and thin tomato and onion slices now and then though...  the ASDA mall by the office park and train station had a Burger King that was not too bad however I am still not allowed to donate blood to the Red Cross for at least 10 years since I had the audacity to eat any meat and beef while in Blighty - appears I am now a potential vector for human variants of Mad Cow!

Offline leslied

• Spouses Country: Ukraine
« Reply #65 on: January 08, 2013, 03:19:40 PM »
I'm interested to know how others have approached this when meeting with a lady for the first time.

On my last trip I thought long and hard about what is typically British to take with me as a gift, RW never cease to amaze me with what they bring as gifts, something a little alien to us British, so not one for being outdone I took the following: -

- Very large box of Thorton's chocolates
- Gordon Ramsey Cook Book, Best of British Pub Food Guide
- Twinning's Tea

I'm off to meet this lady again later this month, and thinking ahead I'm considering taking : -

- Tin of Soup (I like the response of "how can it be")
- HP Sauce
- any suggestions??

FI - the cook book has gone down a storm, tonight she's cooking one of the recipes, very excited, perfect :)

I want to take this thread back to the beginning.  This is the second visit to this lady?

Are you going to spend time at her apartment??  Does she live on her own or with family???

Quite honestly if I had turned up for a second visit with the makings of a bacon butty, a chunk of cheese,  maybe some sausages and tea.  I would be seen as an AMAZING CHEAPSKATE!

Second visit is serious.  You need to up the ante a great deal in my opinion.  Clothes and shoes, buy some in UK, a cashmere sweater is a good choice.  Take her shopping for shoes.  Buy thoughtful presents for her family, maybe something for their apartment.  Take them all out for a slap up feast - at least twice...

I often wonder why so few guys end up happily married.  Of course you cannot buy her affection but you can sure as hell lose it by being tight!

Offline ashbyclarke

« Reply #66 on: January 08, 2013, 03:49:05 PM »
I'm interested to know how others have approached this when meeting with a lady for the first time.

On my last trip I thought long and hard about what is typically British to take with me as a gift, RW never cease to amaze me with what they bring as gifts, something a little alien to us British, so not one for being outdone I took the following: -

- Very large box of Thorton's chocolates
- Gordon Ramsey Cook Book, Best of British Pub Food Guide
- Twinning's Tea

I'm off to meet this lady again later this month, and thinking ahead I'm considering taking : -

- Tin of Soup (I like the response of "how can it be")
- HP Sauce
- any suggestions??

FI - the cook book has gone down a storm, tonight she's cooking one of the recipes, very excited, perfect :)

I want to take this thread back to the beginning.  This is the second visit to this lady?

Are you going to spend time at her apartment??  Does she live on her own or with family???

Quite honestly if I had turned up for a second visit with the makings of a bacon butty, a chunk of cheese,  maybe some sausages and tea.  I would be seen as an AMAZING CHEAPSKATE!

Second visit is serious.  You need to up the ante a great deal in my opinion.  Clothes and shoes, buy some in UK, a cashmere sweater is a good choice.  Take her shopping for shoes.  Buy thoughtful presents for her family, maybe something for their apartment.  Take them all out for a slap up feast - at least twice...

I often wonder why so few guys end up happily married.  Of course you cannot buy her affection but you can sure as hell lose it by being tight!

You're assuming she's poor, also her family, they're not.

It's more an exchange of culture and a bit of fun, I'm not about to shower anyone with expensive gifts anyway, besides if she wants some shoes she'd buy them.

But I know what you mean, thought is there  :thumbsup:

Offline jamaica_live

• причиняю добро и наношу пользу
« Reply #67 on: January 08, 2013, 03:57:07 PM »
Guys, gifts show your attention.
You bring gifts not because your girls need something, you do it to show her that she is in your thoughts and in your heart.
People who do not listen to the advice, you can not help.

"В некоторых людях живет Бог, в некоторых - дьявол, а в некоторых только глисты." (God lives in some people, the devil - in others... and in certain people live only worms.)

Offline ashbyclarke

« Reply #68 on: January 08, 2013, 04:07:58 PM »
Guys, gifts show your attention.
You bring gifts not because your girls need something, you do it to show her that she is in your thoughts and in your heart.

+ 1

Besdies the best gift will be my arrival, of course  :king:

Offline jamaica_live

« Reply #69 on: January 08, 2013, 04:09:55 PM »
:chuckle:

A cashmere sweater is a good choice, yes. Bring one not because she needs a sweater or because she can't buy one. Bring one because you were thinking about her, by chance you were in shop, saw this cashmere sweater and decided "why don't bring one to her?", it's nice! Be spontaneous, it's romantic. If you bring her cheese before marriage, what would she expect after?  :laugh:

"В некоторых людях живет Бог, в некоторых - дьявол, а в некоторых только глисты." (God lives in some people, the devil - in others... and in certain people live only worms.)

Offline ashbyclarke

« Reply #70 on: January 08, 2013, 04:23:46 PM »

A cashmere sweater is a good choice, yes. Bring one not because she needs a sweater or because she can't buy one. Bring one because you were thinking about her, by chance you were in shop, saw this cashmere sweater and decided "why don't bring one to her?", it's nice! Be spontaneous, it's romantic. If you bring her cheese before marriage, what would she expect after?  :laugh:

Not that I disagree with the cashmere sweater choice, it's very nice, but not quite up her street, she's plenty of clothing such as jumpers she's more than happy with, besides I'm sure I'd guess at the wrong colour, or size   :rolleye0009:

That said, I've other plans as a surprise later in the visit when taking her out for a nice meal, not that I think expensive gifts are in anyway the correct route to someones heart.

http://www.agentprovocateur.com/nightwear/dresses-skirts/info/thora-dress~black

I think it's a popular brand, should win a few brownie points, as for the folks well I'm sure I'll take that into consideration also, it's more the little fillers I'm concerned with  tiphat

Offline jamaica_live

« Reply #71 on: January 08, 2013, 04:45:41 PM »
Not that I disagree with the cashmere sweater choice, it's very nice, but not quite up her street, she's plenty of clothing such as jumpers she's more than happy with, besides I'm sure I'd guess at the wrong colour, or size   :rolleye0009:

Don't take it so literally. "A cashmere sweater" just an example.  :)

That said, I've other plans as a surprise later in the visit when taking her out for a nice meal, not that I think expensive gifts are in anyway the correct route to someones heart.
The thing is that your gifts must not be expensive.   :knit: Your gift must be personal.

Of course, you can bring cheese, bacon, HP Sauce, etc. - whatever you want.  ;D But don't call it "the gift". Especially if you bring it for yourself also.  :chuckle:

Offline Halo

« Reply #72 on: January 08, 2013, 04:47:31 PM »

http://www.agentprovocateur.com/nightwear/dresses-skirts/info/thora-dress~black

I think it's a popular brand, should win a few brownie points, as for the folks well I'm sure I'll take that into consideration also, it's more the little fillers I'm concerned with  tiphat

More a dress for you than her.

She will likely thank you profusely, but if most women were going to spend $1000 on a dress, they would want a designer piece that is going to last.  Something from Vivienne Westwood, Alexander McQueen's house, or Stella McCartney (in keeping with the British theme), or an Italian name designer, or Narciso Rodriguez.
After the fall of communism, the biggest mistake Boris Yeltsin's regime made was not to disband the KGB altogether. Instead it changed its name to the FSB and, to many observers, morphed into a gangster organisation, eventually headed by master criminal Vladimir Putin. - Gerard Batten

Offline ashbyclarke

« Reply #73 on: January 08, 2013, 04:53:52 PM »

Don't take it so literally. "A cashmere sweater" just an example.  :)

The thing is that your gifts must not be expensive.   :knit: Your gift must be personal.

Of course, you can bring cheese, bacon, HP Sauce, etc. - whatever you want.  ;D But don't call it "the gift". Especially if you bring it for yourself also.  :chuckle:

I think I've been slightly missunderstood here (not for the first time!), I was after something British, it wasn't the basis of the relationship or the entire gift/presents to be made, it's a little fun thing we have going on, that's all.

Your insight is though very welcome and informative, thank you :)

Offline jamaica_live

« Reply #74 on: January 08, 2013, 04:58:31 PM »
I think I've been slightly missunderstood here (not for the first time!), I was after something British
Right. Because your thread's name is "Gifts when meeting with RW?"  ;D

As for "Agent Provocateur", you can buy it in Russia also. (in case you consider this brand as "something British") :)