The World's #1 Russian, Ukrainian & Eastern European Discussion & Information Forum - RUA!

This Is the Premier Discussion Forum on the Net for Information and Discussion about Russia, Ukraine, Eastern Europe and the Former Soviet Union. Discuss Culture, Politics, Travelling, Language, International Relationships and More. Chat with Travellers, Locals, Residents and Expats. Ask and Answer Questions about Travel, Culture, Relationships, Applying for Visas, Translators, Interpreters, and More. Give Advice, Read Trip Reports, Share Experiences and Make Friends.

Poll

What's on your FSU bucket list? vote for up to five

Moscow
9 (9.6%)
St. Petersburg
13 (13.8%)
Volgograd
6 (6.4%)
Solovetsky Islands
3 (3.2%)
Lvov
4 (4.3%)
Odessa
8 (8.5%)
Sevastopol
0 (0%)
Chernivtsi
1 (1.1%)
Tallinn
1 (1.1%)
Berlin
4 (4.3%)
Suwalki, Poland
0 (0%)
Pripyat (near Chernobyl)
0 (0%)
Nizhny Novgorod
0 (0%)
Kharkov
1 (1.1%)
Riga
1 (1.1%)
Transsiberian Railway
7 (7.4%)
The Caucasus Mountains in Georgia
5 (5.3%)
Tour of Crimea
7 (7.4%)
Lake Baikal
9 (9.6%)
Vladivostok
3 (3.2%)
Veliky Novgorod
1 (1.1%)
Vinny's blond girls
7 (7.4%)
Tour of Siberian cities
1 (1.1%)
Kiev
3 (3.2%)

Total Members Voted: 21

Voting closed: January 10, 2013, 12:05:15 PM

Author Topic: Bucket list of FSU cities to see  (Read 13683 times)

Offline Anteros

• Trips: 1-5
Re: Bucket list of FSU cities to see
« Reply #50 on: December 11, 2012, 04:22:12 PM »
Wondering what Berlin is doing in FSU cities list?

Look at reply #3 for the explanation:

Berlin: OK, not strictly FSU, but it was the great east/west divide. 

include Paris then  ;D

Truly a beautiful place, I've been there twice but alas during winter.  Hope to see it someday in the summertime.
Be careful what you wish for, you might get it.

Offline Chris

• Spouses Country: Chernivtsi, Ukraine
  • Trips: 20+
« Reply #51 on: December 12, 2012, 01:23:57 AM »

include Paris then  ;D

Truly a beautiful place, I've been there twice but alas during winter.  Hope to see it someday in the summertime.

July is best because many of the Parisiennes leave for the country, so its quieter,  bad news it can be very hot that time of year.
Слава Україні

Offline JayH

• Watched
  • Spouses Country: Ukraine
  • Trips: 5-10
« Reply #52 on: December 12, 2012, 03:04:00 AM »

include Paris then  ;D

July is best because many of the Parisiennes leave for the country, so its quieter,  bad news it can be very hot that time of year.

Do not mean to be pia but mid July  to mid August  to end of August is holiday time. A lot of the city is closed -- many restaurants and cafes  move to Brittany and Med coastal holiday destinations to do business there.As Chris said-- can be really hot  and city is quieter.

Offline JayH

• Watched
  • Spouses Country: Ukraine
« Reply #53 on: December 12, 2012, 03:14:14 AM »
I'm surprised that Lugansk is not on the list yet :chuckle:

Now that we have established that it is a suitable place to visit -- why not?

So much to see-- in all the suggestions.

Offline Turboguy

• Spouses Country: Russia
« Reply #54 on: December 12, 2012, 07:37:32 AM »

Lugansk would be my top recommendation.  It is so much fun to just sit in the airport and watch people get off the plane and keel over dead from Andrews air pollution.   The best part is if you are looking for a wife.  The women there are just amazing.  It's all the stuff that was dumped in the lakes and rivers.   We are used to normal women.   Just think how much more fun it is to have a woman who can wrap 4 arms around you, or 6 legs.  For the chest fans many of the women there have 3-4-5 of them and some even have a tongue 2 feet long. 

More seriously Moscow doesn't have as much to see as St Petersburg but there is just something awsome about standing in Red Square looking at the Kremlin, seeing St Basils, touring the Kremlin that Moscow would be one of the top choices on my list.

From a strictly touring standpoint, St Petersburg would also be at the top of my list.  There are so many things to see there.  The Hermitage, Peterhauf, Katherine's palace, I loved the war museum.

Kiev would also be high on my list.  For some reason the Catacombs at the Lavra were one of the cool things I liked there but there is so much to see that it is one of my favorite cities.

Nizney Novgorod would also be high on my list.  The Kremlin there and there is a really cool restaurant in the Kremlin.  It is just a cool city.

Two places that also would be good that I have less experience with would be Odessa and Lvov. 

I would give Barnaul, Omsk, Perm, and a few other places honorable mention    They were also quite nice.  I loved the riverwalk and center in Dneper. 

Offline Muzh_1

« Reply #55 on: December 12, 2012, 07:46:39 AM »

Lugansk would be my top recommendation.  It is so much fun to just sit in the airport and watch people get off the plane and keel over dead from Andrews air pollution.   The best part is if you are looking for a wife.  The women there are just amazing.  It's all the stuff that was dumped in the lakes and rivers.   We are used to normal women.   Just think how much more fun it is to have a woman who can wrap 4 arms around you, or 6 legs.  For the chest fans many of the women there have 3-4-5 of them and some even have a tongue 2 feet long. 

Well, I know for a fact that you'll find her and others living outside Prypat area in Ukraine. Not sure if this one is a Belarussan living in UA.

Offline Larry

« Reply #56 on: December 12, 2012, 07:55:37 AM »
I see that Vinny's girls are outpolling all six of the Ukrainian cities on the ballot.  That makes me think a lot of guys are going to Ukraine for the hot girls and not the history, scenery, and architecture there.  Am I offbase here?

Offline cufflinks

• Supporting Member
« Reply #57 on: December 12, 2012, 11:52:00 AM »

include Paris then  ;D

I know from RU ladies favorite bucket lists include Spanish French Monaco and Italian Riviera and London, Geneva, Paris and Milan designer shopping!  Perhaps we should have a companion Bucket List for resident FSUW in the FSU where they would want to see/go/live !

Offline cufflinks

• Supporting Member
« Reply #58 on: December 12, 2012, 11:56:35 AM »

Well, I know for a fact that you'll find her and others living outside Prypat area in Ukraine. Not sure if this one is a Belarussan living in UA.

(Attachment Link)

Considering Muzhies aliens invade the Cistine avatar this is no surprise - though most SRMs would not think twice about this Bonus babe!

Offline RG

• Spouses Country: Now the US
« Reply #59 on: December 12, 2012, 12:38:48 PM »
Something quite a bit different,
 but there are more than a few guys who have done a full trip across Russia on motorcycles as simply an adventure tour.

Here is perhaps a unique russian trip report in this forums context?

http://dreamers1.com/russia/Practicalities/Russian_Trip_Report.htm
:thumbsup: tiphat

Back on topic, one of my local buddies is seriously contemplating a trip across Russia next year,
, on URAL motorcycle.. just for the nostalgia of it,
and he is joking about  meeting girls along the way..
but not his primary reason for a trip
(you can still buy new Urals, and they havnt changed design since 1940s as far as we can tell )
With sidecar? ;D 
I know they can still be bought, but will he be traveling with one?  Isn't the sidecar wheel driven on the Ural?
http://www.autoblog.com/2010/07/20/ural-patrol-t-review-road-test-sidecar-motorcycle/

Offline Anteros

« Reply #60 on: December 12, 2012, 12:40:23 PM »
I see that Vinny's girls are outpolling all six of the Ukrainian cities on the ballot.  That makes me think a lot of guys are going to Ukraine for the hot girls and not the history, scenery, and architecture there.  Am I offbase here?

Nope!  That's why the smart bride seeker will still check out Lugansk!!
Be careful what you wish for, you might get it.

Offline AJ

« Reply #61 on: December 12, 2012, 01:01:02 PM »
Something quite a bit different,
 but there are more than a few guys who have done a full trip across Russia on motorcycles as simply an adventure tour.

Here is perhaps a unique russian trip report in this forums context?

http://dreamers1.com/russia/Practicalities/Russian_Trip_Report.htm
:thumbsup: tiphat

Back on topic, one of my local buddies is seriously contemplating a trip across Russia next year,
, on URAL motorcycle.. just for the nostalgia of it,
and he is joking about  meeting girls along the way..
but not his primary reason for a trip
(you can still buy new Urals, and they havnt changed design since 1940s as far as we can tell )
With sidecar? ;D 
I know they can still be bought, but will he be traveling with one?  Isn't the sidecar wheel driven on the Ural?
http://www.autoblog.com/2010/07/20/ural-patrol-t-review-road-test-sidecar-motorcycle/

Yes he was thinking the traditional side car model (that yes is driven axle on the rear :)
as it was the original version and might help with giving passengers a lift :)
If it was me i'd get the motorcycle version.
 The beauty of the Ural models is the simplicity and abilty to easily be able to self repair on the road in the very remote areas of such a cross country trek like Russia is.
on the side car all the wheels front and rear can interchange as example, and it carries  a spare as well.

Offline cufflinks

• Supporting Member
« Reply #62 on: December 12, 2012, 01:11:48 PM »
Considering the RU road conditions and crazy drivers in RU - potholes and motorcycles are near suicidal - I know a local veteran hit a pothole on his Motorcycle and would up with TBI.

I would think twice about such a long motorcycle Trek in the USA or Canada not to mention RU - sounds adventuresome touring the URALs on a URAL and following the Trans Sib - but buy an compact HD Steady Cam and Film the Experiences Anthony Bourdain Style...  might help defray expenses for any unforeseen events along the way.

I think the Trans Sib railways might actually be safer than RU roads!

Offline Vinnvinny

« Reply #63 on: December 12, 2012, 01:59:08 PM »

Nope!  That's why the smart bride seeker will still check out Lugansk!!

Lugansk? I don't know if its been mentioned before but Lugansk is a wonderful city for bride hunting.

Beautiful parks, clean streets, air so fresh it can take your breath away and crystal clear rivers good enough to drink from. Great deals to be had on rings too, a simply marvellous place. :thumbsup:

Registration