The World's #1 Russian, Ukrainian & Eastern European Discussion & Information Forum - RUA!

This Is the Premier Discussion Forum on the Net for Information and Discussion about Russia, Ukraine, Eastern Europe and the Former Soviet Union. Discuss Culture, Politics, Travelling, Language, International Relationships and More. Chat with Travellers, Locals, Residents and Expats. Ask and Answer Questions about Travel, Culture, Relationships, Applying for Visas, Translators, Interpreters, and More. Give Advice, Read Trip Reports, Share Experiences and Make Friends.

Author Topic: Bruce Lee - Enter the Mother Land  (Read 21587 times)

Offline Chris

• Spouses Country: Chernivtsi, Ukraine
  • Trips: 20+
Re: Bruce Lee - Enter the Mother Land
« Reply #50 on: November 25, 2012, 09:45:32 AM »
I think we will go somewhere warm instead  :)
Funnily enough we just had the same conversation - Tanya keeps the weather forecast for Vlad and Nikolayevsk-on-Amur on her i-phone, she normally checks them everyday, the latter is getting colder everyday. She checked today and its -17 and by Friday it is due to be approx -21 :o

By the time we get to Nikolayevsk-on-Amur we have estimated it will be approx -30 :o

Maybe I will buy some new shoes and possibly some socks :)

I have been in WU when it was down to -25C that was cold, Ira booked flights last night for a trip back there in early Jan to get their Xmas in, not sure what the temp will be then, but its usually pretty cold that time of year.

Yes, don't forget your socks and shoes, those palchyks can get very cold without  :laugh:
Слава Україні

Offline Manny

• Spouses Country: Russia
« Reply #51 on: November 25, 2012, 10:01:20 AM »
I seem to recall it took around 7-8 weeks to get the OK (following the application) and about two - three weeks later we had the ceremony.

My wife's citizenship was about the same time frame. And another grand.........
Read a trip report from North Korea >>here<< - Read a trip report from South Korea, China and Hong Kong >>here<<

Look what the American media makes some people believe:
Putin often threatens to strike US with nuclear weapons.

Offline Chris

« Reply #52 on: November 25, 2012, 10:07:13 AM »
I seem to recall it took around 7-8 weeks to get the OK (following the application) and about two - three weeks later we had the ceremony.

My wife's citizenship was about the same time frame. And another grand.........

£1500+ for ours, that was for two though, the UKBA don't yet do a 2 for 1 deal  :)
Слава Україні

Offline Bruce Lee

• Trips: 5-10
« Reply #53 on: November 25, 2012, 10:09:48 AM »
Yes, don't forget your socks and shoes, those palchyks can get very cold without  :laugh:
Chris, it was nearly a deal breaker when I learnt that these were essential - fortuitously I got a good deal on the shoes and was able to get socks with the change :)
If you get a minute check out Bruce's TR - Its not quite finished, however its still a pretty good read IMHO.

If I win the lottery I'll finish it this week if not I'll probably complete it when I retire!!! Until then I hope you enjoy the story so far!

Offline Chris

« Reply #54 on: November 25, 2012, 10:12:44 AM »
Chris, it was nearly a deal breaker when I learnt that these were essential - fortuitously I got a good deal on the shoes and was able to get socks with the change :)

:laugh:  Bruce, I completely understand that too, the added expense with this just tips the scales doesn't it  :'(
Слава Україні

Offline Bruce Lee

« Reply #55 on: November 25, 2012, 10:22:10 AM »

:laugh:  Bruce, I completely understand that too, the added expense with this just tips the scales doesn't it  :'(
Tell me about it ;D - possibly worth starting a new topic to pre-warn newbies :)
If you get a minute check out Bruce's TR - Its not quite finished, however its still a pretty good read IMHO.

If I win the lottery I'll finish it this week if not I'll probably complete it when I retire!!! Until then I hope you enjoy the story so far!

Offline cufflinks

• Supporting Member
  • Trips: 1-5
« Reply #56 on: November 25, 2012, 12:21:51 PM »
Nikolayevsk-on-Amur has no land transport connections. Traffic to and from the town enters via the port on the Amur, or the small airport, which is home to Nikolayevsk-Na-Amure Air Enterprise.  Looks like a real epic journey now...
By the way - you're going to love this bit, I have a verbal description of how this is achieved when entering during the winter - I don't want to spoil it so I will wait until I post the photo on my return!!

From what I understand from the description the photos will be well worth the wait :)

Sounds a bit like Ice Road Truckers Extreme Siberia Edition
http://www.history.com/shows/ice-road-truckers

Offline redroo

• Spouses Country: FSU
  • Trips: Semi-Resident
« Reply #57 on: November 26, 2012, 06:05:25 AM »
As an Aussie I thought I had died living through 2 winters in Ekaterinburg in the Urals. Do you have any experience of a Siberian winter?
Once it gets down into the -30's and -40's it hurts just to breathe, and your face loses feeling after just a few minutes. You can't understand if you are pronouncing words right anymore, just like if you had been at the dentists! Every trip outside needs planning to minise time taken, but God it's beautiful to someone raised in the Western Oz sandpit.

Offline Ste

• RIP
  • Beware of Muslamic Rayguns
  • Spouses Country: The Planet Zanussi
Bruce Lee - Enter the Mother Land
« Reply #58 on: November 26, 2012, 06:48:29 AM »
I've done the Trans-Sib, it is excruciatingly boring, honestly, I got off after three days....

Two words, snow and trees, that's all there is to see!
O pointy birds, o pointy pointy, Anoint my head, anointy-nointy.

Offline Bruce Lee

« Reply #59 on: November 26, 2012, 11:14:01 AM »
Do you have any experience of a Siberian winter?
Once it gets down into the -30's and -40's it hurts just to breathe, and your face loses feeling after just a few minutes. You can't understand if you are pronouncing words right anymore, just like if you had been at the dentists! Every trip outside needs planning to minise time taken, but God it's beautiful to someone raised in the Western Oz sandpit.
My experience's of the winter in Russia have been Vladivostok (multiple times in the coldest periods - of course my own stupid fault) and St Petersburg - in fairness I found St Pete colder!!

I expect the temp where we are going to be around the -30 mark - the clothing thing is pretty much sorted and there are a pair of fur lined boots waiting for me when I get there, I will decline any photos of those ;D

Offline Bruce Lee

« Reply #60 on: November 26, 2012, 11:49:19 AM »
I've done the Trans-Sib, it is excruciatingly boring, honestly
I don't doubt it!!

Anyway, its getting worse we discussed this aspect of the journey in detail yesterday afternoon and apparently we take the train as far as Khabarovsk and then the remainder of the journey by bus - I'm beginning to think I may have been drunk when I agreed to this :(

Offline Chris

« Reply #61 on: November 26, 2012, 11:55:03 AM »
I've done the Trans-Sib, it is excruciatingly boring, honestly
I don't doubt it!!

Anyway, its getting worse we discussed this aspect of the journey in detail yesterday afternoon and apparently we take the train as far as Khabarovsk and then the remainder of the journey by bus - I'm beginning to think I may have been drunk when I agreed to this :(

Surely not, a BUS! never, one city stop to another is enough for me over there, I think you need to plead temporary insanity  :)
Слава Україні

Offline Bruce Lee

« Reply #62 on: November 26, 2012, 11:59:29 AM »
Surely not, a BUS! never, one city stop to another is enough for me over there, I think you need to plead temporary insanity  :)
I think insanity is already confirmed - I'm really beginning to wish we didn't just keep it simple and go to Egypt or Turkey for Christmas!!

I will have to back-track in my mind and think if I really was drunk when I agreed to this - surely in a court of law this would be my route out :)

Offline Manny

« Reply #63 on: November 26, 2012, 04:41:10 PM »
Flying to Japan is still an option.  :-X
Read a trip report from North Korea >>here<< - Read a trip report from South Korea, China and Hong Kong >>here<<

Look what the American media makes some people believe:
Putin often threatens to strike US with nuclear weapons.

Offline Bruce Lee

« Reply #64 on: November 28, 2012, 12:25:34 PM »
Flying to Japan is still an option.  :-X
Not really as we have already booked the flight to vlad - and since she wants to spend a few days there with friends its not really an option to re-route!!

I can live with the train journey but the bus bit is going to be tough - I may look at Chicken carriers from Khabarovsk when we get there - if we do go down that route I will just get super pissed before take-off so as not to think about it too much, might be an option :)

Offline Bruce Lee

« Reply #65 on: January 11, 2013, 10:00:32 PM »
OK, Bruce is back in good old England again and as usual on my return the weather has not disappointed – 22 days of rain free weather in FSU and within 2 hours of hitting UK soil its pissing it down again – wow I’m glad to be back!!

Anyway – during my journey I have navigated by plane, train and automobile to cover cities from Moscow to Vladivostok to Khabarovsk to outpost towns in the middle of nowhere like Nikolayevsk-on-Amur – in fact this was probably the least restful holiday I have ever taken and I will probably need a couple of weeks back at work to recover from it!!

Those reading this TR excepting to learn of guys getting locked in apartments over New years eve will be disappointed likewise those who enjoy reading about guys failing in love with their honey before even meeting and filing K1’s with 2 days, sorry not on this one fellas – this is just an old fashioned TR – hopefully sharing a different part of this amazing country with the RUA faithful!!!

We left home early Wednesday morning to catch the train from Birmingham to London, on reflection I wish I had just driven there and left the car in a long term parking spot as taking the train leads to a load on unnecessary arsing about which to be perfectly honest I could do without – not to mention the journey there was during rush-hour and the train was bleeding packed (really comfortable start to the journey). Anyway, I am travelling less than an hour before the first call from the office, then another then another – the flight can’t come quick enough so I can turn the wretched thing off for a few hours. Once at the train station we get on the underground to the airport (as mentioned, I really wish I had taken the car – next time I will not make the same mistake). A few hours, and a few beers pass and we board the plane – we waited until the last 20 minutes as the seats are confirmed so no need to hurry, the boarding gates have a fantastic view of take-offs so we turn around to watch every now and again while the queue is moving which leads to an argument with a Russian guy behind me who couldn’t seam to wait to move nowhere in the queue – it resulted in me suggesting he grew-up a bit and chilled-out – he didn’t take it well!!!!!

The flight is uneventful and after about 20 minutes (passport control at SVO is effortlessly quick and easy) of the landing we get a transfer to the hotel which is situated about 2 miles from the airport – the original plan was to leave the suitcases there the next day and depart the hotel early to investigate the city – unfortunately the first bus out was a little to late (I believe about 11.30) so we made the decision to stay in bed for a while then spend a few hours in the restaurant and chill out for a bit  then transfer to the airport about 4.00pm (our flight is approx 9.00pm).

The transfer bus turns up bang on time and I begin to think we will get to the airport too early – no such problems – as soon as we hit the road the approach to the airport is absolutely gridlocked – as mentioned it was probably slightly less than 2 miles away and we could have walked the journey 3 times at least in the time it took us to get there – it was whilst waiting in this traffic jam that I saw one of the funniest things I have ever seen on the road in my many years of being a driver – whilst the road to the airport was gridlocked completely the road from the airport was clear – so this being Russia road users wanting to get to the airport quicker were driving BACKWARDS along the wrong side of the road past us – I did take some video footage of this on my wife’s phone and once I have downloaded it I will ask mods to insert it into this post!!!

About 6.00pm ish we reach the airport – get checked in quickly, find the nearest bar and chill out for a few hours before the flight – in 3 hours we begin our journey to Vladivostok, my first trip there for nearly 3 and a half years!!!

Online sparky114

« Reply #66 on: January 12, 2013, 07:45:54 AM »
Great another instalment  :thumbsup:

Readers do not hold you breath there will be a short (ish) interlude before the next instalment  :chuckle:
Today is only one day in a life of happiness

Mark

Offline Vinnvinny

« Reply #67 on: January 12, 2013, 07:58:02 AM »
Ripping stuff as always Brucie, keep it coming.  :thumbsup:

Offline cufflinks

• Supporting Member
  • Trips: 1-5
« Reply #68 on: January 12, 2013, 05:31:57 PM »
Great start to the actual TR - curious if this ever made it on your radar?

http://abcnews.go.com/International/wireStory/volcano-erupting-russias-east-18198451

A volcano erupting in Russia's Far East is sending plumes of gas and ash high into the sky and creating a lava lake.

The Plosky Tolbachik volcano is located in Kamchatka peninsula, hundreds of miles (kilometers) from the nearest residential areas.

Gennady Karpov, a volcano expert at Russia's Academy of Sciences in the Far East, said Friday: "There were no lava lakes at Kamchatka volcanos before now. We have never seen this before."

Plosky Tolbachik has emitted jets of hot lava up to 650 feet (200 meters) high.

Its last eruption had occurred in November after the volcano was dormant for almost 40 years.

http://www.airpano.com/files/Kamchatka-Volcano-Plosky-Tolbachik/2-2

Offline Bruce Lee

« Reply #69 on: January 12, 2013, 10:26:23 PM »
Thanks for the feedback guys - I will put another entry in today but need to wait till at least tomorrow to upload photos so I will write a little more when I have the photos to keep it in sequence. For some stupid reason I cannot seem to find my data transfer cable - will need to borrow from one of my colleagues as they all use the same phone!!

Great start to the actual TR - curious if this ever made it on your radar?

http://abcnews.go.com/International/wireStory/volcano-erupting-russias-east-18198451
Thanks cuffy and cheers for the link :thumbsup:

Offline Bruce Lee

« Reply #70 on: January 12, 2013, 10:33:58 PM »
We board the plane and it is the large Airbus A330 with the media players so there is plenty of on-board entertainment – the only real pity is this is an over-night flight and I already want to try and sleep (which as usual, is fruitless), when I say try I really did try but I am quite a tall guy and the planners on the A330 did not allow much room space for those with longer legs – its funny as the seats themselves are quite comfortable and it has the in-flight entertainment just they forget to add enough leg room for anybody larger than your standard midget!!! As a result several hours of moving around in an exceptionally small space and getting annoyed – I don’t sleep, my wife on the other hand who is shorter than me (who isn’t classed as a midget – by the way) manages to find enough leg room to be comfortable and sleeps like a baby for almost the entire journey – I concede and watch the latest Batman movie!!!

We touch down early afternoon and collect our bags in preparation to meet Tanya’s friend who we will be staying with until 25th Dec and true to form she has not arrived yet – our bandstand welcome back to Vladivostok is somewhat deflated!! We walk over to the seated area near the entrance to wait – Tanya later decides to have a look around the airport to try and find a Russian sim card to call her friend – no success so we use the UK number at some stupid rate per minute (I start my pizza round tomorrow night to start paying the bill). Natasha is on her way (she was always late for everything in the past – so she was unlikely to be early on this occasion) – once she arrives we make the fairly lengthy journey to the city centre from the airport – despite the improvements to the road network since my last visit there it doesn’t seam to be any quicker – in-fact it seamed longer – anyway, at least they are trying to make improvements!!

On the other hand, from a first glance as we drive through the city centre the centre itself doesn’t seem to have changed a bit, shops etc seem to all be in the same place and its just as packed with traffic as I remember from before – anybody who has seen it would almost certainly concede that it is a terribly thought out road system – pointless one-way systems and barely any provision for parking for the vast amount of cars the city has!!

We get to Natasha’s apartment (this is actually owned by her boyfriend) which is a large one by Russian standards – its has both a first and second floor – first floor “living room, then separate kitchen then toilet” and second floor with 2 large bedrooms and a separate bathroom this probably one of the biggest Russian flats I have seen!!!

For the first time I feel really hit by “jet lag” when we arrive so I crash for about 3 hours then resurface at about 7.00pm just in time for food and the inevitable flow of vodka – we end up several bottles lighter and end up going to bed at 4.00am – welcome to Russia :BEER:

This leads me to a thought – “what is it with Russian vodka compared to that brought in the UK?” That evening we consumed 4 and a half 0.5 ml bottles with 4 cartons of juice and a large bottle of coke between 4 people and although I was pretty drunk and my wife fell asleep at about 3.15am we both woke in the morning (well early afternoon) with no signs of a hangover or sickness – in UK if we had drunk the same amount I would still have the hangover 2 days later!! Is it just the holiday itself or is the stuff just purer over there?

Offline Chris

« Reply #71 on: January 13, 2013, 03:42:01 AM »
Its the water and/or fruit juice you consume with it  tiphat
Слава Україні

Offline Bruce Lee

« Reply #72 on: January 13, 2013, 08:45:59 AM »
Its the water and/or fruit juice you consume with it  tiphat
Maybe its FSU juice then as we tend to drink in UK with juice or tonic as well - the misses is certain that vodka has additional additives for the UK market!!

Anybody else experienced smoother hangovers in FSU - or is it just me?

Offline Chris

« Reply #73 on: January 13, 2013, 10:14:42 AM »
I meant, drinking water/juice in addition to the Vodka is what helps, when over there they tend to put copious amounts of water/juice on the table too, so if you drink that, while drinking the vodka etc  it helps dilute the amount of vodka drunk I assume or keeps you hydrated is probably a better way of putting it.
Слава Україні

Offline Bruce Lee

« Reply #74 on: January 13, 2013, 09:20:19 PM »
I meant, drinking water/juice in addition to the Vodka is what helps, when over there they tend to put copious amounts of water/juice on the table too, so if you drink that, while drinking the vodka etc  it helps dilute the amount of vodka drunk I assume or keeps you hydrated is probably a better way of putting it.
Chris, you are probably correct as this is a trait in virtually every house when consuming vast amounts of vodka or cognac for that matter, however when at home we do tend to do pretty much the same thing - Tanya can't down any alcohol without at least one carton of Tropicana!!

Whatever the reason, I was pretty much hangover free for the entire journey - including new years day, which is certainly no mean feat!!

For the record I am now at 4 days and counting without touching a drop :)

Registration