The World's #1 Russian, Ukrainian & Eastern European Discussion & Information Forum - RUA!

This Is the Premier Discussion Forum on the Net for Information and Discussion about Russia, Ukraine, Eastern Europe and the Former Soviet Union. Discuss Culture, Politics, Travelling, Language, International Relationships and More. Chat with Travellers, Locals, Residents and Expats. Ask and Answer Questions about Travel, Culture, Relationships, Applying for Visas, Translators, Interpreters, and More. Give Advice, Read Trip Reports, Share Experiences and Make Friends.

Author Topic: Is Google Russian / English translation of value?  (Read 9053 times)

Offline dre

• Spouses Country: United States
  • Trips: None Yet
Is Google Russian / English translation of value?
« on: October 15, 2012, 09:56:50 PM »
Just getting started with Russian for Dummies and Cyrillic alphabet.
Is a computer translation accurate enough for general conversation?

Offline JayH

• Watched
  • Spouses Country: Ukraine
  • Trips: 5-10
Re: Is Google Russian / English translation of value?
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2012, 10:14:47 PM »
It does give the jist of what is said.Sometimes in very jumbled way.Any translation can lose the emphasis and intent of the words--I have seen many misunderstandings as a result of this.

Offline Manny

• Spouses Country: Russia
  • Trips: 20+
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2012, 11:04:02 PM »

Only if you use short sentences, punctuate properly, spell properly and avoid euphemisms.
Read a trip report from North Korea >>here<< - Read a trip report from South Korea, China and Hong Kong >>here<<

Look what the American media makes some people believe:
Putin often threatens to strike US with nuclear weapons.

Offline Isthmus

• Spouses Country: Kazakhstan
  • Trips: 1-5
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2012, 11:55:04 PM »

Only if you use short sentences, punctuate properly, spell properly and avoid euphemisms.

Pretty much.

Its only OK for basic sentences and even then it doesn't always translate properly.

Offline Odessarents

• Commercial Member
  • Trips: Resident
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2012, 12:13:55 AM »

When using a translator, you should always take the text translated in to Russian and translate it back in to English to make sure what you translated is correct

Offline mendeleyev

« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2012, 12:46:49 AM »
Dre, you'd be safe in using it to translate a short sentence from a non important article but if you need to communicate with another human being, someone who could someday be your wife for example, I wouldn't trust it.

Online andrewfi

• Supporting Member
    • Articles About Almost Anything!
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2012, 01:33:02 AM »
Sorry to be a contrarian here.

Google Translate is a very useful tool indeed. It can work very well, but like all tools needs a little practice.

As Manny notes above, make sure that you can actually use your own native language at a competent level. If you can not manage decent grammar, spelling and punctuation then you are sunk. Google Translate can not guess what you meant.

When communicating, as Manny notes, use no euphemisms - be as direct as possible. That said, GT is not bad at picking up on idiom so you can write 'I am going for a sh!t' and, in context, GT will likely produce a sensible translation.

Stick to one idea or concept per sentence (always a toughie for me). Google, pretty much alone of the mass market translation tools can make use of context in translating but more than one idea leads to confused context and inaccuracy.

Back translation, where one translates what one has written in translated back to the original language is NOT a good tool for seeing accuracy. That is a misunderstanding held over from professional practice in translation where a different person translates back translated work - the important points being 'different' and 'person'. Doing so with any electronic translator plays a game of Chinese Whispers with you and you will find errors magnified and meanings double confused. What I would do though is when starting out try using it to see that you are not producing gibberish and also liaise with your counterpart. Does your interlocutor understand what you are writing, did anything you wrote seem odd, confusing or offensive?

As far as possible stick to concrete matters - facts, figures, names. If using airy fairy romantic stuff leave out the flowers, if you can't avoid the hearts. ;) Anchor your paeans of love in the concrete where possible to give your darling and the translator more to chew on.

GT will be more effective for you the more you learn to use each other's languages. For example, when using it I can see if the translation is in the right area at least from my understanding of Russian. Learn Cyrillic so you can start to learn Russian and make sure your penfriend uses only Cyrillic when writing to you - GT can handle translit but there is no single universal translit and while GT does a sterling job it WILL increase misunderstanding.

Some people are better than others at accurately inferring correct or intended meaning from imperfect communication. If you and the target of your affections are a couple of people so blessed then the use of computer based translation will be more successful than if you and your penfriend are not so well blessed. If you are the type who, when leaping to conclusions, can be relied upon to miss the mark then machine translation is not for you but also, probably, neither is an intercultural, international relationship - you will need to be well stocked with empathy. ;)

And think of this: If you are relying upon a translator for your communications how the hell do you expect to build a relationship and get married. Something is already wrong somewhere.
I have used GT in the past for some fairly delicate work and it has performed very well

...everything ends always well; if it’s still bad, then it’s not the end!

Offline Ade

• Spouses Country: Russia/UK-Norway
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2012, 01:49:53 AM »
I think Google Translate is awesome.   ;D

But it has severe limitations with informal language. Russian it pretty much sucks at but it's better than nothing. Chinese is bad too it seems according to a colleague that has a Chinese girlfriend. It deals extremely well with Norwegian however, and even manages a lot of informal speak. ;)

My personal opinion is that I'd never use an interpreter/translator for building a relationship and wouldn't bother if I needed one. It has worked for some but I think the risk of marrying a stranger is just too great when you can't communicate with someone properly.

Online andrewfi

• Supporting Member
    • Articles About Almost Anything!
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2012, 02:28:47 AM »
I think Google Translate is awesome...

...My personal opinion is that I'd never use an interpreter/translator for building a relationship and wouldn't bother if I needed one. It has worked for some but I think the risk of marrying a stranger is just too great when you can't communicate with someone properly.

This is very important.
Also, while I have had success with GT it was not in building a relationship, the relationship has already been in place and a personal shorthand already established.
...everything ends always well; if it’s still bad, then it’s not the end!

Offline mendeleyev

« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2012, 03:18:47 AM »

But it has severe limitations with informal language. Russian it pretty much sucks at but it's better than nothing.

Ade, you have an interesting definition of awesome.  :chuckle:

Offline JayH

• Watched
« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2012, 03:28:15 AM »

When using a translator, you should always take the text translated in to Russian and translate it back in to English to make sure what you translated is correct

I do that when trying to sort out what is being said--it works!!
Another point-- I have used live translator-- typing in English or Russian and it can do two way talk as well as showing words.
It is actually fun to use. It is a great ice -breaker into reality on first  meeting !! It is possible to use as the only method of understanding-- so I guess the answer is as others have said--it is good!!

Offline mendeleyev

« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2012, 03:33:20 AM »
Just getting started with Russian for Dummies and Cyrillic alphabet.

With all due respect and admiration for your efforts, Russian for Dummies is not going to teach Cyrillic which is kind of pointless and one of the reasons we don't recommend it in the RUA guide of language resources.

It is based purely on transliterations and when you visit the FSU you will not find English transliterations on street sign, visa forms, train tickets, restaurant menus, etc, etc.

The example below was pulled from Russian for Dummies off the web:

Spasibo (spuh-SEE-buh) (thank you)

Bol’shoye spasibo. (bahl’-SHOH-eh spuh-SEE-buh) (Thank you very much.)

While everything you see there is correct, you've missed the opportunity to READ a language even at a base level.

The addition of the Cyrillic would go a long way to aid in your learning. For example:

спасибо  Spasibo (spuh-SEE-buh) (thank you)

Большое спасибо  Bol’shoye spasibo. (bahl’-SHOH-eh spuh-SEE-buh) (Thank you very much.)

Again, not in my estimation. Certainly not for most conversations.

As Ade wrote above, languages like Russian and Chinese "sucks" with Google. Such languages are complex in grammar and Google is not yet perfected to handle those situations.

To avoid misunderstandings try to stay away from using Google for conversations in building a relationship.

Example:

I like you very much.

Google translates this as: Я очень тебя люблю. (I very you love) which is okay if you meant to express love to the gal but if you were not feeling ready for such an expression in an early stage of the relationship then its too late as Google has gone far beyond expressing "like" and introduced the concept of love without your knowledge.

That is a basic sentence of just 5 words and Google has already misread what was intended.

Also consider that Google had no way of knowing whether you were directing that comment to your gal, your gal's grandmother or your gal's best friend. Oops.

Google also has no way of knowing the level of your relationship and if you are addressing her parents in the early stages of getting to know them and want to sound respectful, then Google's selection of тебя (informal "you") was yet another poor choice in a simple short sentence.

Google Translate uses algorithms based on statistical analysis rather than grammar rule-based analysis and this can lead to mistakes even with the most basic forms of communication.

Offline mendeleyev

« Reply #12 on: October 16, 2012, 03:37:52 AM »
dre, here is a list of resources for learning Russian that you might find useful: http://ruadventures.com/forum/index.php?topic=4177.0

Offline simo82

« Reply #13 on: October 16, 2012, 07:06:13 AM »
Also Google Translate has an option for Conversation.
Make sure you are in a WIFI area, or use someones' internet. You can give it to the person (Russian Speaker) and it will translate to English or whatever language you want to translate to) and Vise Versa for English To Russian.

As has been said on the Board, try to keep it simple and grammatically correct.

i have found it works really well with my Wife's Family (Internet permitting) and has allowed me to express a few more ideas, Questions etc etc.
Currently Doesn't have Ukrainian on it though, However i emailed the Google Translate team, and it is in progress!

Cheers Simo.

Offline Muzh_1

« Reply #14 on: October 16, 2012, 07:52:53 AM »
I think Google Translate is awesome...

...My personal opinion is that I'd never use an interpreter/translator for building a relationship and wouldn't bother if I needed one. It has worked for some but I think the risk of marrying a stranger is just too great when you can't communicate with someone properly.

This is very important.
Also, while I have had success with GT it was not in building a relationship, the relationship has already been in place and a personal shorthand already established.

I'm on record (many times) expressing the same feelings.  :smokin:

Offline Chris

• Spouses Country: Chernivtsi, Ukraine
« Reply #15 on: October 16, 2012, 10:08:18 AM »
Make sure you are in a WIFI area, or use someones' internet. You can give it to the person (Russian Speaker) and it will translate to English or whatever language you want to translate to) and Vise Versa for English To Russian.

i have found it works really well with my Wife's Family (Internet permitting) and has allowed me to express a few more ideas, Questions etc etc.
Currently Doesn't have Ukrainian on it though, However i emailed the Google Translate team, and it is in progress!

Cheers Simo.

Where is that Simo?
Слава Україні

Offline nicknick

« Reply #16 on: October 16, 2012, 10:21:04 AM »

Cheers Simo.

Where is that Simo?

It's an option on the Google Translate app for Android phones - I think it's also available on iphones as well.

Are you asking specifically how to use the app?

It's also on the website as well.  Go to Google then go to google translate.  In the translate from box you will see a microphone in the bottom left hand corner of the box - just click on that.

Offline simo82

« Reply #17 on: October 16, 2012, 10:31:46 AM »

Cheers Simo.

Where is that Simo?

It's an option on the Google Translate app for Android phones - I think it's also available on iphones as well.

It's also on the website as well.  Go to Google then go to google translate.  In the translate from box you will see a microphone in the bottom left hand corner of the box - just click on that.

i said that with out moving my lips!!  :ROFL: :ROFL:

Offline Chris

« Reply #18 on: October 16, 2012, 10:45:22 AM »

Cheers Simo.

Where is that Simo?

Just asking in general, I see it now thanks, never thought to look for it on my iPhone.
Слава Україні

Offline Chris

« Reply #19 on: October 16, 2012, 10:45:42 AM »

Cheers Simo.

Where is that Simo?

i said that with out moving my lips!!  :ROFL: :ROFL:

:laugh:  :laugh:
Слава Україні

Offline Ade

• Spouses Country: Russia/UK-Norway
« Reply #20 on: October 16, 2012, 10:53:55 AM »

But it has severe limitations with informal language. Russian it pretty much sucks at but it's better than nothing.

Ade, you have an interesting definition of awesome.  :chuckle:

Well, it is awesome but only as long as you understand its limitations.

Offline Muzh_1

« Reply #21 on: October 16, 2012, 11:13:31 AM »

Cheers Simo.

Where is that Simo?

I have it and it is a lot of fun.

Offline simo82

« Reply #22 on: October 16, 2012, 11:58:11 AM »
i was having conversations with myself in Russian, was rather amusing, i even tried out my rusty German, and was surprised how much i remembered....

Great Tool.

Offline Isthmus

• Spouses Country: Kazakhstan
  • Trips: 1-5
« Reply #23 on: October 16, 2012, 06:26:08 PM »
The most recent edition (2012?) of Russian for Dummies does now have a chapter that teaches cyrillic script (pretty important I say, can't believe the earlier editions didn't have that  :laugh:).

Whilst I am just starting to learn some Russian now, I am a fluent speaker of another Slavic language and I can tell you immediately that google translate does not always accurately translate Russian and certain nuances get skewed (all Slavic languages have some common words or common roots to words, so on occasions I can tell immediately if google translate is off the mark).

I have tried translation in other languages and they apparently work better than in Russian (Spanish for instance, told that by a native speaker).

Offline mendeleyev

« Reply #24 on: October 16, 2012, 06:51:33 PM »
Good to hear. I'll take a look and perhaps it can be recommended although just one chapter isn't very encouraging. However the fact that you already can handle another related language will be helpful.