The World's #1 Russian, Ukrainian & Eastern European Discussion & Information Forum - RUA!

This Is the Premier Discussion Forum on the Net for Information and Discussion about Russia, Ukraine, Eastern Europe and the Former Soviet Union. Discuss Culture, Politics, Travelling, Language, International Relationships and More. Chat with Travellers, Locals, Residents and Expats. Ask and Answer Questions about Travel, Culture, Relationships, Applying for Visas, Translators, Interpreters, and More. Give Advice, Read Trip Reports, Share Experiences and Make Friends.

Author Topic: Leaving for Kiev in 2 weeks - with a few questions  (Read 1569 times)

Offline 557chris

• Spouses Country: Ukraine
  • Trips: 5-10
Leaving for Kiev in 2 weeks - with a few questions
« on: August 12, 2012, 01:04:47 PM »
I am headed to Kiev in about 2 weeks. I believe that I have crossed all my t's and dotted the i's.  Having never been to Ukraine or taken any international flight, I want to be sure that there isn't something that I have forgotten.  Here is what I have so far:

1.  Plane ticket - check
2.  Passport with copies - check
3.  electric adaptors - check
4.  gifts(with receipts totalling under $200) for the lady, son, mom and dad - check
5.  travel meds
6.  contacted banks for usage overseas - check
7.  Me with a ton of nervousness - check

?1   Since I have never traveled internationally before, I would welcome any type of description or advice about flight transfers in AMS Amsterdam and customs/passport control in Kiev Borispol. Any usefull information about the paperwork that is filled out for these  would  be appreciated.

?2    Should I go through the "green line" at Borispol since I am only bringing 1 litre of Knob Creek and small gifts total value under $200. 

?3    Also, is there a way for me to get a SIM card for an iphone with a local phone number in Kiev before I go? My phone has been unlocked and provisioned for use in Ukraine, so all I should need is a SIM.

Is there anything that I have forgotten, anything else that might be helpful?

Thanks,
Chris

Offline Larry

Re: Leaving for Kiev in 2 weeks - with a few questions
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2012, 01:22:52 PM »
Hi Chris,

Well, not to be indelicate, but there is one thing you have left off your list.  Possibly you have already thought of it but left it off on purpose.  But it's not a problem to obtain these there.  On my first trip in all the activity of packing, getting the visa, etc., I forgot these.  I didn't even realize it until I was on the phone to a good friend while sitting at the departure gate.  He asked and I couldn't believe I forgot them.  Fortunately, my girl remembered.

I suggest you take some cash.  Be sure that every bill is in pristine condition.  They will reject them if they are not perfect.  Go through each bill carefully at the bank and exchange any that have any tears or writing on them. You wouldn't believe how anal the currency changers can be.

Customs and immigration at Borispol has always been a breeze for me. 

Nice idea about the Knob Creek.

Enjoy your trip.

Offline 557chris

« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2012, 01:35:24 PM »
Larry, I didn't realize that I left out cash.  That's a given.  I will bring some, but I am more comfortable traveling with less cash and visiting the banks or ATM's as needed.  I have read before about the bills needing to be perfect, but I might not have realized the importance of this.  Thanks for the tip.

Offline Ste

• RIP
  • Beware of Muslamic Rayguns
  • Spouses Country: The Planet Zanussi
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2012, 01:40:05 PM »
Travel and health insurance?
O pointy birds, o pointy pointy, Anoint my head, anointy-nointy.

Offline 557chris

« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2012, 01:50:57 PM »
ste, thank you for that one.  I had forgotten to call my health insurance company.  I knew there was at least one thing I was missing, maybe more. 

Offline jurgen123

« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2012, 09:01:36 AM »
Will recommend you read this book [spam delated-Brass] be sure to save money it has links to sites local taxi rates so you do not get ripped off, prices numbers of police medical assistance and emergency numbers and much more as well as info on what documents you must travel with in order to rent car how much car rentals how to travel with car what todo when you get lost and much more. I would recommend any first timer to have a scan through.

Offline Ste

• RIP
  • Beware of Muslamic Rayguns
  • Spouses Country: The Planet Zanussi
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2012, 10:17:24 AM »
It's not ur book is it?
O pointy birds, o pointy pointy, Anoint my head, anointy-nointy.

Offline fransu

• Spouses Country: Netherlands
  • Trips: None Yet
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2012, 12:45:49 PM »
Anyone read this book ?

Online andrewfi

• Supporting Member
    • Articles About Almost Anything!
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2012, 12:52:44 PM »
It's not ur book is it?

Yeah, it's his book. ;)
...everything ends always well; if it’s still bad, then it’s not the end!

Registration