The World's #1 Russian, Ukrainian & Eastern European Discussion & Information Forum - RUA!

This Is the Premier Discussion Forum on the Net for Information and Discussion about Russia, Ukraine, Eastern Europe and the Former Soviet Union. Discuss Culture, Politics, Travelling, Language, International Relationships and More. Chat with Travellers, Locals, Residents and Expats. Ask and Answer Questions about Travel, Culture, Relationships, Applying for Visas, Translators, Interpreters, and More. Give Advice, Read Trip Reports, Share Experiences and Make Friends.

Author Topic: Crimea - Крым - Крим - Tauric - Крымский полуостров - Кримський півострів  (Read 10594 times)

Offline AnfieldRiot

• Spouses Country: Russia
  • Trips: 10-20

Offline Skoob

• Trips: None Yet
On the news, I've heard

Cry-mee'-a
Cri'-mee-a
Cry-may'-a

and about 10 others.

What's the native pronunciation?

Thanks

Offline NS1

• Supporting Member
  • Trips: 5-10
Kyrm is what I hear most often, Maybe the will change to something different now :)
There is nothing permanent except change.

Offline Vinnvinny

• Trips: 20+
On the news, I've heard

Cry-mee'-a
Cri'-mee-a
Cry-may'-a

and about 10 others.

What's the native pronunciation?

Thanks

Russkiy

Offline Mikeav8r

• Keep the shiny side up and the dirty side down...
Vinny beat me to it..but I was going to say:

Россия

Rossiya (Rrah see ya)  Rr = semi rolling R
Two Favorites:
1.  You have 2 ears and 1 mouth, therefor you should listen twice as much as you speak. -Confucius
2.  If you want to give God a good laugh, tell him your plans. - Anon

Offline Manny

Read a trip report from North Korea >>here<< - Read a trip report from South Korea, China and Hong Kong >>here<<

Look what the American media makes some people believe:
Putin often threatens to strike US with nuclear weapons.

Online BelleZeBoob

It is pronounced with a hard R. Here it is pronounced several times (sorry she speaks too fast):

Men are like Bluetooth: he is connected to you when you are nearby, but searches for other devices when you are away.
Women are like Wi-Fi: she sees all available devices, but connects to the strongest one.

Offline Ste

• RIP
  • Beware of Muslamic Rayguns
  • Spouses Country: The Planet Zanussi
O pointy birds, o pointy pointy, Anoint my head, anointy-nointy.

Offline mendeleyev

Крым = Krim. This is the nominative or dictionary form. As Belle said, accent the p (the letter "r").

Grammatically, Krim is an irregular noun when making case changes.

When speaking of a location the letter e (ye) is added to the end of a noun, Крыме, as in О Крыме (about Krim). The e (ye) ending on Krim is placed when speaking "where" which is the prepositional case. Noun endings change with usage and this is how we go from Moskva to Moskve when speaking of Moscow as a destination/location.

One of the more common uses you'll hear in news reports, etc, is в Крыму (Kri-mu) meaning "in Crimea." That is an example of what is called the second prepositional case and the y (sounds like cross between ooh and u) is stressed. The y (u) ending on these nouns come into play when the subject is  в 'in' and на 'on' a location and they're sometimes called the locative case.

Offline Skoob

• Trips: None Yet

Offline Rasputin

• Trips: 10-20
Kyrm is what I hear most often

Krym with the -ym rhyming with him  :-X

"Seems I live in Russia Rasputin visited" - Millaa
"So do I" - Molly35ru

Offline mendeleyev

Crimea (Крым)

Perhaps one of the most surprising details of the history of Crimea comes when you discover that the vast majority of folk today are ignorant of the history of this great region. For many Russians that ignorance is willful, especially in view of the recent annexation of both Crimea and Sevastopol. The truth is that it will take Russia hundreds of years to equal the history of the ancient Greeks, the Scythians, the Ottoman Turks, the Golden Horde, the Tatars or the Cimmerians who occupied this land for centuries upon centuries.

History however doesn't however negate Russia's current control and history textbooks are written by the victors so we'll move forward.

ila_rendered

Western readers are often surprised to learn that Sevastopol has been separate from Crimea during the Crimean Republic from the time of the Empire, during Soviet control, in the Ukrainian period and now again under Russian rule. It is within the Republic of Crimea but is a separate administrative city-state not governed by or subservient to the Republic of Crimea. Today Sevastopol is a federal city of the Russian Federation, one of only three of which Moscow and Saint Petersburg are the others.

ila_rendered

Last year my friend and photo journalist Tamara Timofeeva captured both these photo scenes of Crimea and it is a beautiful place in the world.

When we speak of Crimea technically we do not refer to Crimea and Sevastopol together. When speaking of both we name each and if you want to know who is best at parsing the two, listen carefully to President Vladimir Putin. He knows his version of Russian history, relishes the idea of being the man who is reuniting the Russian/Soviet Empire and whether speaking to Cabinet Ministers or in speeches to the public, he carefully cultivates this idea of Crimea as a region but the even grander idea of Sevastopol as a self governoring city-state of the RF, a federal city just like Moscow and Piter, and you will see him put his full might into making Sevastopol into the kind of federal city he envisions.

I will move Sevastopol soon from the Ukraine section to this Russian section but first want to introduce you to Crimea. We'll move other cities such as Yalta over to this Russian section but first each city page will be updated.

Offline Tom Cat

Don't shoot the messenger, links to articles posted, don't necessarily reflect my personal opinion.

Offline Tom Cat

Don't shoot the messenger, links to articles posted, don't necessarily reflect my personal opinion.