The World's #1 Russian, Ukrainian & Eastern European Discussion & Information Forum - RUA!

This Is the Premier Discussion Forum on the Net for Information and Discussion about Russia, Ukraine, Eastern Europe and the Former Soviet Union. Discuss Culture, Politics, Travelling, Language, International Relationships and More. Chat with Travellers, Locals, Residents and Expats. Ask and Answer Questions about Travel, Culture, Relationships, Applying for Visas, Translators, Interpreters, and More. Give Advice, Read Trip Reports, Share Experiences and Make Friends.

Author Topic: Odyssey to Odessa my first trip to the FSU years ago  (Read 6442 times)

Online AvHdB

• Spouses Country: Ukraine, Kiev
  • Trips: 20+
Re: Odyssey to Odessa my first trip to the FSU years ago
« Reply #25 on: January 13, 2012, 08:39:21 PM »
Well we have Bruce Lee so now we have the chapter plan from Bill!
“If you aren't in over your head, how do you know how tall you are?” T.S. Eliot

Online NS1

• Supporting Member
  • Trips: 5-10
« Reply #26 on: January 14, 2012, 04:45:57 AM »
Well, we know the results, as it was 5 years ago, but good story :popcorn:
There is nothing permanent except change.

Offline 2tallbill

• Spouses Country: Russia
  • Trips: 10-20
« Reply #27 on: January 14, 2012, 12:21:19 PM »
Bill sounds like she was fun and interesting.
But now you leave us hanging  :popcorn:

It's hard to write a story from so many years ago. I keep remembering little things
that I should have included, back in an earlier segment.

For example in Odessa there is this bridge, called a Mother in Law bridge that is a very
long pedestrian bridge that spans this valley. I can't quite remember the story about it
and will probably get it wrong. I think it is advisable to toss your Mother in law off this
bridge or maybe that the bridge was built to avoid stopping by the builders Mother in laws
house (who lives in the valley)

They also put locks on the bridge [note this isn't my photo the bridge was very white
not rusted when I was there] When sweet hearts get married they put a lock with
their names on it on the bridge and throw away the key.

There is a cool set of stairs called the The Potemkin Stairs.  The stairs were designed to
create an optical illusion. A person looking down the stairs sees only the landings, and the steps are invisible, but a person looking up sees only steps, and the landings are invisible.

A secondary illusion creates false perspective since the stairs are wider at the bottom than at the top. Looking up the stairs makes them seem longer than they are and looking down the stairs makes them seem not so long1.

1. the Potemkin stairs information was copied from wikipedia because I
couldn't remember the exact details.
FSUW are not for entry level daters. FSUW don't do vague FSUW like a man of action so be a man of action  If you find a promising girl, get your butt on a plane. There are a hundred ways to be successful and a thousand ways to f#ck it up
Kiss the girl, don't ask her first.
Get an apartment not a hotel. DON'T recycle girls

Offline 2tallbill

The Odyssey continues. .. ... .... random nearly forgotten thoughts
« Reply #28 on: January 14, 2012, 01:06:40 PM »
So, some time around 5:00 am we were rolling around and having fun, Natalia
tells me that she has to go back to her flat, since "V" is there sleeping alone she
tells me several times on the the translator.

:o    :o    :o    :o   

WHAT?

I had never considered that she left her daughter alone, what if she woke up scared?
So she calls a taxi, I ride with her the and drop her off and pay for the taxi and ride
back. She has to get V read for school and she has to work for a few hours and will
meet me at noon for lunch, then I will fly to Kiev and spend the night then retrace
my steps back to San Francisco. 

I am really sleepy so I hit the sack for a couple of hours, shower, shave and pack. I
bought a few food items that I didn't use and I gave them to Stirlitz. I had bought a
"real knife" for cutting and cooking and I packed a box of stuff for Natalia. I brought
a couple of gifts like picture books of California and the bay area that we looked
through while I told her anecdotes about them.   

They have two semi famous a chocolate factories in San Francisco. Ghirardelli's and
Sees, so I had given her chocolate.

I meet Natalia again at the place we have lunch every day and cold fish Natalia is back
the fun spunky girl is gone. I am kind of in a daze myself having spent the entire night
in carnal pleasure. It was clouding my brain, I tried to talk to her about the future, but
she was non committal, I convinced her to accept English language lessons that I would
pay for. She wanted me to pay for group lessons through the agency but I wanted her
to have one on one instruction because she had been in group English lessons (paid for
by some other guy) and couldn't speak a word of English.

When it was time to leave, I got the cheek. I was frustrated but made excuses for her
Sybil like personality in my mind. It's easy to justify, maybe she was tired, maybe it's
the culture, blah blah blah. I was definitely putting her on a pedestal that she didn't
belong on and she got there only because she was hot and rolled me well in the hay. 

OK, I never told anyone this including Stirlitz. 

When I was taking Natalia home in the taxi, we were passing the translator back and
forth. She told me she desperately needed $200.00. It was insignificant to me at the
time, I thought we would probably be married some day. It was easy to justify it in my
head, she had taken significant time off work to be with me and this would help her out
so I did it.

I fly back to Kiev, Pavel has an apartment for me. He does the pickup from the airport,
fills me up with another fantastic bowl of borscht, drops me off at the apartment and I
sleep like I am dead........

I wake up to a pounding on the door like the police were coming to get me. It was
Pavel and he had been there for quite a while alternating between the phone and the
door. I answer the phone first in case he is calling to warn me not to open the door. 

He drops me off at the airport, I go through passport control and can't find the little
scrap of newspaper that I had written on 10 days ago  :o  The passport control lady
was friendly right up to the point that I told her I couldn't find it. Then she looked at
me like I had been caught trying to smuggle C-4 and radio controlled timers in my bag.

She looked through my passport, and the scrap of paper was stuck between two
pages and it plopped out on her desk and all was well again as the C-4 turned out
to be caviar that I had bought near the Black Sea.

I fly the grueling trip back to SFO and sleep like I am dead.

I bought tickets to go back to Kiev (the Odessa ticket is bought separately back then)
for Christmas so I can see her again.

I had paid for a month of language instruction and it was time to pay for another month.
That's when Natalia came up with her bold plan. . . . . . . . .

FSUW are not for entry level daters. FSUW don't do vague FSUW like a man of action so be a man of action  If you find a promising girl, get your butt on a plane. There are a hundred ways to be successful and a thousand ways to f#ck it up

Online NS1

• Supporting Member
« Reply #29 on: January 14, 2012, 01:19:07 PM »
 :popcorn:

Offline 2tallbill

The scam
« Reply #30 on: January 14, 2012, 01:20:02 PM »
Natalia came up with a creative way to scam me.

First however, let me tell you the contact between us was strange. She would
write 2 line letters and was totally cold. My pimsleur Russian had arrived and I was
working on it diligently. I was sure that she was chatting with others at RLM and I
was barely part of the mix. I was having more trouble making excuses for her now.
I had told her that I had bought tickets to see her again. She had a million reasons
why I couldn't come. 

Then she came up with the scam.

She had taken nearly a month of language instruction and it was time to pay for more.
She had told Stirlitz that she didn't want to learn English and surely didn't want to meet
me again. However she did want half of the money that I would pay him for her language
instruction.  :o

If he didn't give her half she would tell me that he never gave her the previous month
of instruction and since she had f#cked me I would be putty and I would believe her
and not him  :snivel:   

I had been ignoring all the red flags and now it bit me in the ass.
I knew something was hinky, I kept making justifications in my head. 
I had a ticket to Kiev leaving in a week or so and nobody to visit.  :crybaby:

Offline 2tallbill

« Reply #31 on: January 20, 2015, 06:29:27 PM »
This was my first trip to the FSU

Online NS1

• Supporting Member
« Reply #32 on: January 20, 2015, 07:28:20 PM »
This was my first trip to the FSU

Reliving days gone by ?  :chuckle:

Offline Tom Cat

• Trips: 20+
« Reply #33 on: January 20, 2015, 08:32:20 PM »
Natalia came up with a creative way to scam me.

First however, let me tell you the contact between us was strange. She would
write 2 line letters and was totally cold. My pimsleur Russian had arrived and I was
working on it diligently. I was sure that she was chatting with others at RLM and I
was barely part of the mix. I was having more trouble making excuses for her now.
I had told her that I had bought tickets to see her again. She had a million reasons
why I couldn't come. 

Then she came up with the scam.

She had taken nearly a month of language instruction and it was time to pay for more.
She had told Stirlitz that she didn't want to learn English and surely didn't want to meet
me again. However she did want half of the money that I would pay him for her language
instruction.  :o

If he didn't give her half she would tell me that he never gave her the previous month
of instruction and since she had f#cked me I would be putty and I would believe her
and not him  :snivel:   

I had been ignoring all the red flags and now it bit me in the ass.
I knew something was hinky, I kept making justifications in my head. 
I had a ticket to Kiev leaving in a week or so and nobody to visit.  :crybaby:

Just goes to show how flawed the 5 date rule really is.
Don't shoot the messenger, links to articles posted, don't necessarily reflect my personal opinion.

Offline 2tallbill

« Reply #34 on: February 06, 2015, 08:57:47 AM »
Just goes to show how flawed the 5 date rule really is.

Nothing beats the little voice in your head. I intentionally ignored it, knowing all
along that I shouldn't. I made plenty of more mistakes in different trips to the FSU
but I never again ignored the voice in my head. If a girl was sending out the wrong
vibes or no vibes then I dumped her and moved on.

Registration