The World's #1 Russian, Ukrainian & Eastern European Discussion & Information Forum - RUA!

This Is the Premier Discussion Forum on the Net for Information and Discussion about Russia, Ukraine, Eastern Europe and the Former Soviet Union. Discuss Culture, Politics, Travelling, Language, International Relationships and More. Chat with Travellers, Locals, Residents and Expats. Ask and Answer Questions about Travel, Culture, Relationships, Applying for Visas, Translators, Interpreters, and More. Give Advice, Read Trip Reports, Share Experiences and Make Friends.

Author Topic: Donhollio's FSU Pursuit !  (Read 185063 times)

Offline Donhollio

Re: Donhollio's FSU Pursuit !
« Reply #75 on: April 26, 2009, 11:13:59 PM »
 :'(   What a TR  :'(
 I'm glad you have the filter thing all figured out Olga,and here I was holding off reading your post today because I thought you were going to slice my Yin from my Yan.

edit to add  I thought you were going to comment about writing her sexual suggestion,and not keeping it private. I do have my reasons, and it's mainly for the newbies.

Thank you Ed, glad your enjoying it. I always wonder who reads this story,and Ms Mouse was not one who I thought did.

tbelknap

« Reply #76 on: April 26, 2009, 11:23:09 PM »
plus when I land in Atlanta and see all the oversized women there I always think "

That happened to my wife and I in Chicago when we landed.  Man it was culture shock for me.  I kept thinking, did the people get larger or were they always like that?

Thomas

tbelknap

« Reply #77 on: April 26, 2009, 11:24:04 PM »
:'(   What a TR  :'(
 I'm glad you have the filter thing all figured out Olga,and here I was holding off reading your post today because I thought you were going to slice my Yin from my Yan.

Thank you Ed, glad your enjoying it. I always wonder who reads this story,and Ms Mouse was not one who I thought did.

I heard rent prices have dropped in Ukraine.   ;D  Just in case you were heading back.

Thomas

Offline Donhollio

« Reply #78 on: April 27, 2009, 12:33:05 AM »
 Thomas your back ! ;D  No idea where I'll head next,I'm at square one again.  I asked a investor there if he was worried about the speculative market bursting before he checked out. I haven't spoke to him in a couple of years.

Here's some photo's of my time in Dnepropetrovsk. Katya and Olga and some other sites.

Katya

Olga. A photo I pulled back when I met her from the agency.

T-34 tank sitting near the crest of the hill on Karl Marx

War memorial heading past the T-34

And a frequent site in Ukraine,burning garbage urns. Small concrete containers to hold whatever people put in them. I saw so many burning during my stays there that I had to photograph this one, as it smoldered while Lenin stood in the background. Only to be blocked by the girl walking  :'( It was tough to shoot as the people were always in the shot.

Offline Eduard

• Commercial member
    • realrussianmatch.com
  • Spouses Country: Russia
  • Trips: 20+
« Reply #79 on: April 27, 2009, 01:23:39 AM »
Olga is a cutie  :)

Offline Excedryn

• Spouses Country: Ukraine
  • Trips: 1-5
« Reply #80 on: May 01, 2009, 03:58:31 PM »
Katya is no slouch either IMHO. Not bad at all. Hope it all works out Don. :party0031:
Life is either a daring adventure or nothing. Security does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than exposure.
Helen Keller
US blind & deaf educator (1880 - 1968)

Offline Elturko

« Reply #81 on: June 24, 2009, 09:32:13 PM »
jesus , it cant be that much diffucult to find a girl is FSU , i went there and after 1,5 months i found my ex wife, she was a really beatifull girl.. then i knew only da or niyet...

or they love turkish people more than canadians, just kidding of course...

Offline MBS01

• Spouses Country: Ukraine
« Reply #82 on: June 25, 2009, 07:34:54 AM »
Nice photos Don:
Too bad you did not bring one of those ladies home as there are already a number of their sisters from Dnepr. here in Canada and the USA.

The T-34 is about half way between the city centre by McDonald's to my in-laws home which you would be close to if you took the streetcar to the end of the line.  They actually live along the streetcar right-of way as it winds its way out of the city centre.  To walk there from McDonalds is all uphill until the T-34 and takes about 30 minutes in total.

So many distant memories of Dnepr.  It all seems so long ago now as its close to 7 years since I first visited there when Lora and I had our first visit together.  Likewise 3 years since I was last there.  We plan to visit next year again for her parents 45th Anniversary and Father-in-Law' bithday as well.

During my previous visits there was always some changes in new building ging up (new malls to visit and window-shop, etc.).  Now however both Lora and Mother-in-Law are hooked on Canadian Malls for bargons and endless shopping visits compared to Ukraine or Russia.  There just is nothing like The Bay or Sears, etc. in the FSU!  Plus no discounted prices in normal stores.

So Don still have not come up with the one?  All your trips and ladies as well as the local ones that you could have.  Are you ever going to settle down with one?

Best of luck whatever you decide.

Offline Eduard

• Commercial member
    • realrussianmatch.com
« Reply #83 on: June 25, 2009, 11:50:13 AM »
jesus , it cant be that much diffucult to find a girl is FSU , i went there and after 1,5 months i found my ex wife, she was a really beatifull girl.. then i knew only da or niyet...

or they love turkish people more than canadians, just kidding of course...
was her name Ekaterina by any chance?

Offline Elturko

« Reply #84 on: June 25, 2009, 04:53:09 PM »
no her name vas Natalia..

thats one of her picture in my home..

Offline Donhollio

« Reply #85 on: June 25, 2009, 06:22:18 PM »
 Elturko I have never said I took the usual route to dating.  Far too often I have sabatoged my relationships either by not doing the simple things to make her happy,or by simply being too uncaring and giving her the attention that one would expect to have while in a relationship.
 This past November it all came to a head, and I really needed to self evaluate my ways with the girls in my life. It worked just fine up until a half dozen years or so ago. But it no longer serves any use in my life if I wish to one day settle down with a girl.

So can it be that difficult, for some yes, and for others I envy their ability to find love and stick with it to the day of marriage. There's more on Katya, as this was my 3rd of 6 trips.  Olga moved to Israel in 06, and I haven't spoken to her since.

Wes, I have no idea what the future holds all I know is the pickings I have are slim. I seem to have the mid 40yo gals showing heavy interest, but who knows, I really wish I knew ! I have good memories of Dnepropetrovsk. Where else can you wander from the T-34 down Gagarin  :)  {thanks Ed}( First Cosmonaut ) and see the Sputnik at the end of the Prospect ?

Offline Eduard

• Commercial member
    • realrussianmatch.com
« Reply #86 on: June 25, 2009, 06:30:44 PM »
Don, the first cosmonaut name was Yuriy Gagarin, thought you'd wanna know how to pronounce it right :)
I was curious as to how old are you? And how old a girl are you looking for?

Offline Donhollio

« Reply #87 on: June 25, 2009, 07:52:52 PM »
 I turned 41yo two weeks ago.  When I search I don't go below 24yo,and even than I have met some girls who were younger in social circles, that were more mature than some of the older girls I met. So my range goes from 24-41 though to be honest if I'm looking at having a kid someday 41 is pushing the maternal limits. You can add in 2 more years from the day you meet until she is sitting in your home.
 Lately on the local scene I have the interest of a 22yo, and of course those mid 40's mature babes  :loving:

Offline Elturko

« Reply #88 on: June 25, 2009, 07:54:47 PM »
yes i understand that, i wish you best but i was thinking that
i am sure you spent really big money for this trip, why you didnt enroll a russian language course,
so that on a student visa you can stay there 12 months and learn language and try find your girl,

its so cheap to be student there, i was a student in russia 10 months and i spent only 6000 us dollar in this
10 months and i found my ex. wife..

when you study there they let you study in the university they call it ''podgotovitelnam''
so in the university there will be a lot of other russian girls because you will study with them, and like the university i studied there were 25 male student 252 female student ..

you are gonna have all the chance to see a lot of young russian female student and its really easy to get one..

plus when you leart russian it makes everything so easier,   you cant even imagine

you can talk whoever you want with no help ,

http://www.vsu.ru/english/about/index.html

look at this link i studied there for 10 months russian language...

Offline Elturko

« Reply #89 on: June 25, 2009, 07:59:43 PM »
age is not important there was a american guy 52 years old and he was studying russian language...

his name was Derek from Kansas... later i  was told that , he also married a russian woman and moved to Kansas city

with her but i lost connection with him..

Offline ECR844

• Searching for the word I will become
  • Trips: Resident
« Reply #90 on: June 25, 2009, 08:01:36 PM »
"Elturko,"

I've been to Voronezh 4x it's a charming city. VSU is a nice campus and depending on where at VSU you are going. My ex fiancee's sister went to the veterinary school there and they had some interesting methods in that regard which they used. Anyway, depending on where in the city your staying and going it can be a wonderful place. Just don't get sick there :)

Offline Eduard

• Commercial member
    • realrussianmatch.com
« Reply #91 on: June 25, 2009, 08:06:22 PM »
I turned 41yo two weeks ago.  When I search I don't go below 24yo,and even than I have met some girls who were younger in social circles, that were more mature than some of the older girls I met. So my range goes from 24-41 though to be honest if I'm looking at having a kid someday 41 is pushing the maternal limits. You can add in 2 more years from the day you meet until she is sitting in your home.
 Lately on the local scene I have the interest of a 22yo, and of course those mid 40's mature babes  :loving:
Oh, living in Florida I know all about them "mature babes" !!! LOL
If you are decent looking in shape guy you should be able to meet a nice girl 25 and up who will give you some children and make you a happy man (if you are good to her off course!). Just make sure you are ready for committement and family before you start the search. I know that myself I only got to the point of "I'm ready now" when I was about 42-43

Offline Elturko

« Reply #92 on: June 25, 2009, 08:07:01 PM »
it was 2003 , i was there for about 11 months , i was living at the city center ''ulitsa kukolkina''

i studied russian language at the where the faculty ''public relations and reklam''' i dont remember the address :(

it was a nice city and there was a lot of beatifull girls everywhere...

i still remember the bowling center ''BUM'' strange name...

Offline Jaime70068

« Reply #93 on: June 25, 2009, 08:08:11 PM »

http://www.vsu.ru/english/about/index.html

look at this link i studied there for 10 months russian language...

Thanks for posting this....Great idea.  If you could take some time away from your job, this would be a great experience.  
I was sad because I had no shoes, until I met a man who had no feet. So I said: Got any shoes you're not using?

Offline Elturko

« Reply #94 on: June 25, 2009, 08:16:23 PM »
i am telling you , why spending a lot of money for the agency,

its really cheap to study russian language (but forget about the study in moscow its really expensive city)

when you learn russian , you can always use it in your life and you can find your sweetheart yourself,

i did it that way and i feel myself so lucky that  i know russian-english,

knowledge of russian language everytime HELPED ME a lot...

i dont need an interpriter at all so that during the meeting (when i go to the ukrania-belarus)

i am gonna do everything myself,

girls are really treating different when you know their language i always felt that..

Offline Elturko

« Reply #95 on: June 25, 2009, 08:18:58 PM »
forgot to tell..

if you want to learn russian, in your country take some lessons, dont go to the russia with no knowledge of russian language,
myself i took private russian class for 3 months before i go and i learnt all the grammar so i needed only practice and

russian girls GOOD AT LANGUAGE PRACTİCES... i swear they are the best...

Offline Donhollio

« Reply #96 on: June 25, 2009, 09:02:06 PM »
 I did take a 3 month course here at home.  The teacher was not the best even though she was a native of Tomsk RU most of the class felt as I in her methods of instruction. I also took some private lessons in Odessa, but I was not getting it as quickly as I wanted to.
 Being that your turkish you are able to learn Russian mucgh faster than a native English speaker. I noticed this in all areas of UA  that the Turks could become fluent in less than a year while living in the country.

Offline Eduard

• Commercial member
    • realrussianmatch.com
« Reply #97 on: June 26, 2009, 05:34:18 AM »
I did take a 3 month course here at home.  The teacher was not the best even though she was a native of Tomsk RU most of the class felt as I in her methods of instruction. I also took some private lessons in Odessa, but I was not getting it as quickly as I wanted to.
 Being that your turkish you are able to learn Russian mucgh faster than a native English speaker. I noticed this in all areas of UA  that the Turks could become fluent in less than a year while living in the country.
Don, to you maybe their Russian sounds "fluent" but in reality their Russian is extreemely limited. Yes it is enough to get around and do basic stuff, but not enough to have an intellectual conversation about books, art, phylosophy, etc.
There are many Georgians, Azeybarjanis and other Eastern ethnic people living in Russia and speak Russian. Rarely I hear them speak "fluent" Russian. It sounds more like my mom's English after a couple of years in America.

I would agree with ElTurko, that if a man can take a couple of years out and go live in Russia, learn to speak Russian it would be hard for him NOT to meet a nice woman. They are everywhere there. But meeting on local Russian dating sites is probably the most popular way right now in Russia, so the same thing can be accomplished through those sites even if you don't want to move to Russia. That's how I found my wife.
Also this way you are more focused IMO. You have a goal - marriage and to find one good woman for marriage. In all honesty if I moved to Russia 6 years ago when I was single and looking, I still might have been single... When you have so many choices it is hard to stop...as proven by local Russian men's behavior. And not only the RM, but I noticed that even some of the WM who went to live in Russia are not in a hurry to get hitched! And keep playing the field, which is so easy to do over there...

Offline skiingandrunning

• Meмber
« Reply #98 on: July 09, 2009, 09:15:07 PM »
I noticed that even some of the WM who went to live in Russia are not in a hurry to get hitched! And keep playing the field, which is so easy to do over there...

This why it's so important to know what you are looking for.  When you have unlimited access inside the Candy store, it's hard to leave.  I just had this discussion with a friend at work.

So Don, when will we get to read about those last three trips?

Offline Donhollio

« Reply #99 on: July 22, 2009, 12:02:44 AM »

Sorry for the delay people, I never realised it has been since April when I last posted on my travels. Theres three trips left ,so here I go!

Touching down in Toronto after four months of being out of Canada, was a great feeling !  I had lots to reflect on during my flight over the Atlantic, and while waiting for the departure in Kiev's airport. For one I was so happy to be a Canadian, I now knew completely how privileged I was to hold the citizenship.
And with all the domestic problems that Canada may have ,it's so far from the issues that Ukraine has.
Legal , social, political, healthcare and corruption, are but a few problems that both countries have to some extent, but Canada's woes fall far behind those in UA.  
 The lack of an effective social net in UA is one of the most troubling for me. Old age pensions are so meager that many widows must seek out some form of work to help them survive monthly.  One night while out walking with Katya I was asking her what kind of work could I possibly do if I was to stay here. I told her teaching is out, and that would leave me with sweeping the streets like so many seniors do during the overnight shift. Not very appealing to me, and than she told me they earn only about $40 per month.  So with the pension and sweeping duties many are making $100 a month to live on.
 I know of two pensioners one who makes $40 p/m and the other earns $200 p/m. It's no suprise some of them team up to live together, just to make ends meet.
 And after seeing my little orphan friend in Odessa, I can only think about his very dismal future. Most wind up on drugs in later years and end up in jail. And again I reflect on how easy we have it here, we can bitch about taxes up our asses, government stupidity in it's finest form. A law system that needs attention but is somewhat effective. At least it doesn't have lawyers, cops, and judges all on the take ,willing to turn a case around if you have enough money to pay the ranks off.
 I was told in 2003 that you could bribe your way out of a murder charge for $10 000.  It just goes to show what real poverty is, and how we in the west have such a hard time understanding why such things happen.
You can be poor in Canada living on welfare and still be light years ahead of the poor in Ukraine. Anyway...

Jumping back abit I kept in contact with Anna from Odessa. I just wanted to be a good friend to someone who needed support in a difficult time of her life. I also did my best to keep sexy Sveta's attention first mentioned on page two. On the night of the Kristina blowout at Yo Club, SS was there and looking damn good :)  She was off in a area away from the group with a friend of hers, and I wanted to make it known I was wanting to see her again. So over I went hoping that there would be no phone calls or SMS's coming from Kristina while I was talking to SS. While I was talking with her she seemed to stop short of asking if we could meet again before I left. I could see her wanting to say something but really enjoyed seeing her all nervous. Than with a elbow delivered by her friend Niome to her backside causing her to sway forward, she finally coughed it up and I of course agreed.  ;D
 But Sveta is a interesting character, I tried on a few occasions but something always kept her from meeting the date, so I gave up. I called her the night before I left for Dnepropetrovsk , told her I was leaving and wished I had the opportunity to take her out for that drink we agreed upon. She seemed sad I was moving on, but hey I can't wait weeks for a night out.  
More on SS later...

Back home I'm getting things organised, calling up friends & clients and seeing if I have any business left.  As strange as it may seem things were pretty much normal upon my return. I had some clients get others to fill the void ,and some waited until I got home to begin on their projects.
Katya was on my mind and I would call her and we'd discuss what the future may hold. As time slipped by she seemed somewhat different, the phone calls were beginning to seem awkward. I soon found myself talking to a girl, instead of talking with a girl I knew.
 Maybe my earlier thoughts of having a stable relationship in it's early stages was premature, or she wasn't as committed to continuing this as much as we thought. At any rate the calls to her diminished, nothing was said to end it, but it just fizzled to nothing. It was alittle troubling, I spent 4 months in that country, gave it a half ass  attempt for most of the time, and thought I had a girl at the end of four months.

During this down time Sveta and I would send emails and Niome once again set her up on a MSN chat account. This was a first for me having a live chat with a FSU girl and Sveta seemed to be dialled in to all of it. The hours she spent on MSN with me instead of doing her job was quite amusing. Having met Sveta before in a social setting and at the school was a welcome relief from those Odessa agency girls, who for the most part were a complete waste of time. With phone calls,SMS, emails and MSN chat, it wasn't long before I was thinking about getting back on the planes to Odessa to see if sexy Sveta could be the one. :loving:

All the while I am thinking maybe I should have shown some patience back in the autumn, and seen if I had a shot at dating Sveta it would of been nice... I was already there... could of saved a few thousand dollars...jet lag...hours spent on the PC...arranging flights...ughhh.
    :'(

So armed with a bounty of air travel points I begin my flight itinerary. Calling the booking centre I get my departure flight locked in, now booking agent is trying to get me back in 3 weeks time and during the summer seats are scarce. Nothing in 3 weeks, moving along she finds the month of July sold out !  Hmm, I'm thinking at best this is now a 5 week vacation, and as time slipped by, so did my return date. 6..7..8..9 weeks.
I'm having doubts about this point system plan. They make it sound so nice and easy, yet it isn't working the way I thought it should. Finally after about 45 minutes she has it all figured out, depart late June, return early September.
10 weeks I ask her is the shortest time span ?  " Yes many people book these seats almost a year in advance."
Wow, who the hell can plan like that I thought to myself. And without thinking of any consequences I booked my return to Ukraine.
My friends are now thinking I am nuts, I quietly was beginning to think I was too, it felt like I had just left there, but there was girl to be pursued, and I wasn't going to find out unless I took another chance at heading off to meet her.
 My pal Andre in Toronto couldn't believe I would leave when I was with Katya after seeing her photo's....I kinda agreed with him. But you spend 22 weeks in UA and tell me how your doing ! I may have made it if they had nachos for sale, but I never found any. And good pizza would of helped too!

So with my flight booked I let SS know I'm coming back ! Shes happy and then the news comes from her that she will be heading off to Russia to visit her Baba.
sweet... nothing like showing up hours before she departs to Chechnya. Then she goes on to tell me that a year before her mom went, and a bus was shot up days earlier. I'm thinking why risk it?  But it's family, and I have lots to learn about the family bond. So I can only wish her a safe bus ride there and back...

Registration