The World's #1 Russian, Ukrainian & Eastern European Discussion & Information Forum - RUA!

This Is the Premier Discussion Forum on the Net for Information and Discussion about Russia, Ukraine, Eastern Europe and the Former Soviet Union. Discuss Culture, Politics, Travelling, Language, International Relationships and More. Chat with Travellers, Locals, Residents and Expats. Ask and Answer Questions about Travel, Culture, Relationships, Applying for Visas, Translators, Interpreters, and More. Give Advice, Read Trip Reports, Share Experiences and Make Friends.

Author Topic: Clothing anyone?  (Read 8730 times)

Offline Bill

• Spouses Country: Russia
  • Trips: Semi-Resident
Re: Clothing anyone?
« Reply #25 on: November 15, 2012, 01:08:09 AM »
I did. Tried college but it didn't suit me. Worked for a while, but wanted to see the world. The only way to finance that was to join the military. My original idea was to serve on all continents including Antarctica, did all continents except Antarctica. Try as I might I never got a chance to visit Antarctica. I've been told I didn't miss anything, it's just cold and inhospitable 24/7.

How long have you been gone?  I left there in April.  I miss the dancing - salsa sundays on the promenade (free) and salsa at Wokano on Tuesdays.  The salsa scene was pretty good - lots of Svetkas there.  But I don't miss the taxes or the gas or the insanity.

Haven't been back in years. When my BIL past away a few years ago, I helped my mom move to Canada to be with my sister. When everything is set with my wife regarding her status in Canada we'll all go to LA and show her our old neighborhood.

I miss the beaches. I grew up within walking distance and once I got a car I did all the beaches all along the coast. Of course the weather is far better in LA than in Canada. But other places like Korea, Germany, Iraq and Afghanistan didn't have the greatest weather either so Canadian weather is manageable. Gas prices and taxes will never go down in California, it's simply the price of living in the state. 

Offline lordtiberius

• Trips: 1-5
« Reply #26 on: December 05, 2012, 03:40:28 AM »
Filling a 20 foot container requires 20,000 lbs of product - used clothing wrapped in bales that can be bough for $ .38 to $1.5 a pound.  The time it leaves port to reach Ukr is roughly 28 days with some time on the dock could be 35 days of maritime transport high side $ 1600 in maritime transport fees.

Remembering this thread, the mission stopper was the customs import dues, yes yes?  What were they?  How are they assessed?  What ports does Ukr usually use?  Sounds like a sound investment if you can get passed customs.

Offline ashbyclarke

• Trips: 20+
« Reply #27 on: December 05, 2012, 03:53:05 AM »
Filling a 20 foot container requires 20,000 lbs of product - used clothing wrapped in bales that can be bough for $ .38 to $1.5 a pound.  The time it leaves port to reach Ukr is roughly 28 days with some time on the dock could be 35 days of maritime transport high side $ 1600 in maritime transport fees.

Remembering this thread, the mission stopper was the customs import dues, yes yes?  What were they?  How are they assessed?  What ports does Ukr usually use?  Sounds like a sound investment if you can get passed customs.

No idea on used clothing for taxes or paperwork.

Main port is Odessa.

You really need a partner in Ukraine to help IMO.

For new clothing there is a bunch of paperwork required, certificate of origin for one, i can't see that being relevant here, personally I export to Berlin and the client is responsible thereafter.
I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're gonna feel all day - Frank Sinatra

Offline ashbyclarke

« Reply #28 on: December 06, 2012, 01:40:34 PM »

Let me know what grade it is? maybe I can help you, not in Ukraine though.

My fee is 50%, and you'll be financing it. PM me if you're interested.
I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're gonna feel all day - Frank Sinatra

Offline lordtiberius

« Reply #29 on: December 06, 2012, 02:43:38 PM »

I am working with partners on this one.  I know the CEO because we served together in the Army.  Both are Americans of foreigner extraction.  The maritime freight fee is $  1600 (tops).  My experience is not in logistics.  But if I gotta see where this goes.  I spent 3 years in Hollywood.  I know all about frauds.  google Jeff Bowler

Offline ashbyclarke

« Reply #30 on: December 06, 2012, 02:51:27 PM »

I am working with partners on this one.  I know the CEO because we served together in the Army.  Both are Americans of foreigner extraction.  The maritime freight fee is $  1600 (tops).  My experience is not in logistics.  But if I gotta see where this goes.  I spent 3 years in Hollywood.  I know all about frauds.  google Jeff Bowler

Not sure why you're looking at Ukraine, there's no market for it (to my knowledge), there's huge scope in other parts of the world, but grade is key to it.

Offline lordtiberius

« Reply #31 on: December 06, 2012, 04:38:18 PM »
Not sure why you're looking at Ukraine, there's no market for it (to my knowledge), there's huge scope in other parts of the world, but grade is key to it.

Ashby,

Ukraine does export.  Any interest in exporting to the USA?  There is not export duties on COAL.

Offline ashbyclarke

« Reply #32 on: December 07, 2012, 12:41:02 PM »

Ashby,

Ukraine does export.  Any interest in exporting to the USA?  There is not export duties on COAL.

If there's money in it, then ask yourself the question - why's it not already been done?

Offline lordtiberius

« Reply #33 on: December 07, 2012, 12:48:19 PM »

Ashby,

If there's money in it, then ask yourself the question - why's it not already been done?

President Kennedy in his Speech to the Irish Parliament on June 28, 1963: "Speaking as an Irishman [Shaw] summed up an approach to life: 'Other people,' he said, 'see things and say: why - but I dream things that never were and say: why not.'"

Offline Anteros

« Reply #34 on: December 07, 2012, 04:31:15 PM »

Ashby,

President Kennedy in his Speech to the Irish Parliament on June 28, 1963: "Speaking as an Irishman [Shaw] summed up an approach to life: 'Other people,' he said, 'see things and say: why - but I dream things that never were and say: why not.'"

Yes, but remember he was not really President as he commited voter fraud!   :ROFL:
Be careful what you wish for, you might get it.

Offline CzechMate

« Reply #35 on: December 09, 2012, 08:13:27 PM »
There are already companies in the FSU import/export clothing biz.

And lists of buyers and suppliers:

http://ukraine.go4worldbusiness.com/Clothing

http://russia.go4worldbusiness.com/Clothing

When I shoot, I recover the spent casing and reload the brass.

Offline lordtiberius

« Reply #36 on: December 09, 2012, 10:03:28 PM »

Ashby,

Yes, but remember he was not really President as he commited voter fraud!   :ROFL:

That's another thread worth talking about if I weren't in the middle of trip prep and language immersion.