The World's #1 Russian, Ukrainian & Eastern European Discussion & Information Forum - RUA!

This Is the Premier Discussion Forum on the Net for Information and Discussion about Russia, Ukraine, Eastern Europe and the Former Soviet Union. Discuss Culture, Politics, Travelling, Language, International Relationships and More. Chat with Travellers, Locals, Residents and Expats. Ask and Answer Questions about Travel, Culture, Relationships, Applying for Visas, Translators, Interpreters, and More. Give Advice, Read Trip Reports, Share Experiences and Make Friends.

Author Topic: Bucharest Village Museum  (Read 4051 times)

Offline Paul

Bucharest Village Museum
« on: August 14, 2011, 05:45:24 PM »
Just some random pictures from the Bucharest Village Museum. These were taken in July of last year and could have been much better if it wasn't so hot and uncomfortable,... and there had not been so many other tourist.

From Romania Tourism.com:

Village Museum (Muzeul Satului)
Address: Sos. Kiseleff 28-30
Tel: (21) 317.91.03 
E-mail: contact@muzeul-satului.ro
Open: Mon. 9:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m.;
Tue. - Sun. 9:00 a.m. - 7:00 p.m.

Founded by royal decree in 1936, this fascinating outdoor museum, the largest in Europe, covers some 30 acres on the shores of Lake Herastrau in Herestrau Park. It features a collection of 50 buildings representing the history and design of Romania's rural architecture. Steep-roofed peasant homes, thatched barns, log cabins, churches and watermills from all regions of the country were carefully taken apart, shipped to the museum and rebuilt in order to recreate the village setting. Throughout the year, the Village Museum hosts special events where you will have a chance to witness folk artisans demonstrating traditional skills in weaving, pottery and other crafts. Folk arts and crafts are available at the museum gift shop.

I believe these homes were from the Moldova region of Romania, not the Republic of Moldova (which was once part of Romania) and they were built half above and half below ground. You have to walk down a few steps to enter them and watch your head, which I didn't do :innocent: It hurt like hell!

An old wooden Orthodox church...

Thanks for looking.

Offline clancyhound

• Spouses Country: Russia / USA
  • Trips: 5-10
Re: Bucharest Village Museum
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2011, 05:59:18 PM »
Nice pixs!

Offline Paul

« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2011, 06:49:07 PM »
Thank you, clancyhound.

Offline el_guero

• My Russian improves slowly.
  • Spouses Country: Ukraine
  • Trips: 10-20
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2011, 08:32:39 PM »
Paul,

Thanks for the pics!

Too bad all those fat tourists keep getting in the way!

:)

wayne

Offline Paul

« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2011, 06:14:30 AM »
My pleasure, Wayne. If you wait long enough the tourist will move,.. it might not be too pleasant waiting in high temps though.

Offline el_guero

• My Russian improves slowly.
  • Spouses Country: Ukraine
  • Trips: 10-20
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2011, 01:31:14 PM »
My pleasure, Wayne. If you wait long enough the tourist will move,.. it might not be too pleasant waiting in high temps though.

It is 36°C outside and supposed to go to 39°C today.

:)

Come stay awhile.  Here the tourists get out of the way REAL quick.  Something about real heat gets them moving out of the way.

:8)

Offline Paul

« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2011, 01:50:50 PM »
It is 36°C outside and supposed to go to 39°C today.

Not unusual summer temps for Bucharest. It had to have been over 36°C the day we visited the museum.