The World's #1 Russian, Ukrainian & Eastern European Discussion & Information Forum - RUA!

This Is the Premier Discussion Forum on the Net for Information and Discussion about Russia, Ukraine, Eastern Europe and the Former Soviet Union. Discuss Culture, Politics, Travelling, Language, International Relationships and More. Chat with Travellers, Locals, Residents and Expats. Ask and Answer Questions about Travel, Culture, Relationships, Applying for Visas, Translators, Interpreters, and More. Give Advice, Read Trip Reports, Share Experiences and Make Friends.

Author Topic: 3 mnth correspondence, one meeting. Am I about to get scammed?  (Read 4099 times)

Offline Muzh_1

Re: 3 mnth correspondence, one meeting. Am I about to get scammed?
« Reply #25 on: May 26, 2011, 01:51:16 PM »
muzh, I already did suggest Planet Love Match might be worth a look. Do YOU have any better suggestions for people wanting to make immediate contact and communication with a verified real person working in a language that both parties can easily understand without intermediary translators and the attendant delays and lack of certainty as to the actual existence of the person being communicated with?

Folks who can manage a smidgen of Russian might have fun with Mamba.ru and their paid services - the free ones will likely not help overmuch.

Please share your alternative suggestions or agree with me. ;)

I just did. The second paragraph.

Online andrewfi

• Supporting Member
    • Articles About Almost Anything!
« Reply #26 on: May 26, 2011, 02:09:14 PM »
What did you do muzh?

You did not write a second paragraph.
...everything ends always well; if it’s still bad, then it’s not the end!

Online andrewfi

• Supporting Member
    • Articles About Almost Anything!
« Reply #27 on: May 26, 2011, 02:29:38 PM »
Jump4love.com also has live two-way video chat with girls. :)

Looks like fun but I bet you are not a paying member. ;)
In fact video and chat are two separate services each costing 1 credit per minute.

In order to contact a woman to arrange a meeting through your suggestion, jump4love.com you have to spend a minimum amount of money and spend a minimum amount of time. The cost is 3 hours at a cost of over $90 if using chat and no video and almost $190 if using video and chat together. That price is for contact info for EACH woman before she is able to exchange info with a guy.
Not a problem for a bloke who is not in a hurry and does not mind paying for that which other sites do not restrict but not a lot of use for a guy who is able to make short term plans - the reason I suggested Planet Love Match, but yes, an option for those not likely to take action quickly and like looking at pretty pictures.

Jump4love.com is no good for a man who wants to arrange dates to meet real women unless he is rich as Croesus!

Is kinda why I suggested PLM and not Hot Russian Brides which, like this Jump4Love thingy, does have minimum spends for exchange of contact info. That said, even HRB does not charge per contact for direct contact info so it'd soon work out a better bet for blokes wanting to arrange real world meetings than this jump4love outfit. :(

The choice about sharing contact info, where it is an option, SHOULD be with the parties concerned, not the intermediary.
...everything ends always well; if it’s still bad, then it’s not the end!

Offline chelseaboy

• Watched
  • Trips: 1-5
« Reply #28 on: May 26, 2011, 04:29:37 PM »
Fair point Andrew.

However,i do know one member of this forum very well,and he actually does use Jump4love,and he informs me that the girls on that site happily give him their personal contact details when he chats with them on webcam.often during the first short chat.
So,obviously if the girls like the guy,they will give him the information he needs very early in communication,without him having to be as rich as Croesus  :)
"I find it hard to believe that Russia would target civilians on purpose " Manny 28/2/22

Offline jit

• Trips: 1-5
« Reply #29 on: May 30, 2011, 12:01:28 PM »
Hey,

Thanks for all your replies! Here´s an update from my first post:

Being as nice as I could in my questions, which of nature where very "offensive" in terms of how they addressed a person´s truthfulness, the girl in question fired on all plugs. She got furious, and she put a lot of meaning into what I had written that was not really there.

She wrote me a page of how I humiliated her with my questions. She wanted me to give her my address and full name so that she could return both the bag (gift) and money spent for restaurants and taxi through postal mail and Western Union. She was pissed off ! I am glad I was not in Ukraine at that time... If an email could kill, that particular one would have done the job !

I replied the same day, explained that she may have put more meaning into the questions than what I intended. I did not mean to hint anything about her family and the interpreter working for free etc. This was Thursday last week. Friday she replied and said that she may have overreacted. Said she may have felt the same way if in my shoes, and that she knows about scammers. I have not yet replied...

Today, the interpreter wrote me. She has translated 54 letters, and was wondering if I would honor the agreement. Said she was truly sorry about the trouble between the lady and myself. Wished me and my kids well. Money is not the issue for me in this case. Western Union - gave me her full name. Found no foul on google. She specified the village where they are both from. Which again makes the whole thing truthful. When I bought her the gift in Kiev, her whole person lit up like a fire. She kissed me. She meant it - or she is a really good actress.

Sorry for being vague, guys ! Once again, I would appreciate your well thought through advice. I was thinking about replying. Telling her my intentions with her vs her intentions vs what I consider to be a time waster.

I am off Anastasiadating :-)

Thanks again!
 ???

Offline Muzh_1

« Reply #30 on: May 30, 2011, 12:49:20 PM »
Jit:

First, you may have muddied the waters and there will always be this nagging suspicion in the back of your head that she is not what she s supposed to be.

Second, and this is MHO, I think she got the desired reaction when she "yelled" at you in that letter. She put you in the defensive. Her support group is now coming to her rescue.

A simple thing you could have done was simply tell her you will meet her in her town and help you find an apartment. If she say she didn't want because the gossip, well, she is ashamed of you or she doesn't want her boyfriend to find out.

My sincerest apologies but any woman that doesn't want you to come to her town is hiding something, usually her boyfriend or husband or both.

Good luck.

Offline Muzh_1

« Reply #31 on: May 30, 2011, 01:05:53 PM »
Jit:

Here is the other side of the coin. I read your posts to my wife and she understands this lady's concern. Almost smacked me over the head regarding my comments about boyfriends and husbands. So that is one on your favor.

My wife can related to this woman's situation because it is "different" there and she may be ashamed of her living conditions. No one will know until you see for yourself.

My wife said I WAS THE ONE jumping to conclusions.

So, there it is.

Sorry I cannot not be of further help.

Offline mendeleyev

• Spouses Country: Russia
  • Trips: 20+
« Reply #32 on: May 31, 2011, 12:44:46 AM »
Muzh, I can relate to both your answers. Mrs Mendeleyeva thinks as Mrs Muzhina.  :) When we were first courting I kept pressing for her to allow me to spent time in her home around her family early in the relationship. She was cautious and we met after work, in open parks, etc, at first and often with other friends or family but at first not at her home. Even church was taboo at first as she felt the only reason I wanted to travel 30 minutes to her ROC when there was a church very close to my apartment was to see her. She was right.

It really wasn't that long before I began to spent more time with her in family settings, one hears a lot going up and down 8 flights of stairs (dang lifts probably never worked even when new). Sometimes I was the topic of a comment or two. Not often but enough to understand that I was the "rich American" dating the aspiring but starving artist on the 8th floor. Her family was just being a little cautious until everyone was comfortable with me and they could gauge my character a little better.

That being said, unless she is from a tiny village, there should be no reason for Jit to have to meet in an entirely different city. As your wife thinks, she may live in a situation where she fears rejection. There are some really horrid apartments with very nice FSU people living inside, it's just the way it is. But like so many of us, I'd be bothered by the trips to Kiev every time and usually sooner than later the extended family is interested in meeting and making their own conclusions about Jit.