The World's #1 Russian, Ukrainian & Eastern European Discussion & Information Forum - RUA!

This Is the Premier Discussion Forum on the Net for Information and Discussion about Russia, Ukraine, Eastern Europe and the Former Soviet Union. Discuss Culture, Politics, Travelling, Language, International Relationships and More. Chat with Travellers, Locals, Residents and Expats. Ask and Answer Questions about Travel, Culture, Relationships, Applying for Visas, Translators, Interpreters, and More. Give Advice, Read Trip Reports, Share Experiences and Make Friends.

Author Topic: Info concerning Tomsk?  (Read 5552 times)

Offline Bones

• Trips: 10-20
Info concerning Tomsk?
« on: May 23, 2011, 11:36:27 PM »
I'm going to Tomsk in July. I've researched on-line of course but comments from other members who are familiar with Tomsk would really be appreciated. Things to do, places to go, contacts, etc. thanks!
If you seek to be offended by everyone you meet, then you'll succeed.

Offline possum

Re: Info concerning Tomsk?
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2011, 10:37:47 AM »
I'm going to Tomsk in July. I've researched on-line of course but comments from other members who are familiar with Tomsk would really be appreciated. Things to do, places to go, contacts, etc. thanks!

Hello Bones,

There's lots to do in Tomsk in July.. Here are just some of the suggestions/ideas I can think of at the moment.

Be prepared to spend lots of time outdoors. If your girlfriend has a dacha, or knows someone who does, chances are you are going to be invited to a shashliki cookout. This shouldn't be a problem for you if you can handle your vodka.. In any case, watch out for ticks. Contrary to popular belief, those suckers only take a minute to bite you and inject their "poison". Tomsk is located in the "land of a thousand swamps", so mosquitoes and other gnats will abound. Thus, you'll be well-advised to bring a good mosquito repellent. You will not need sunscreen.

The River Tom' is beautiful this time of year, take your girlfriend for a walk along the embankment in the city center. There's a nice, though under-appreciated, restaurant there located in a small red brick building. If you're into loud music and paddle boats, check out White Lake- it rocks in July. A lot of people recommend Lagerny Sad for walks and scenery.. Personally, I think it's too solemn and WWII-ish.

There's a one-man puppet theater, which I can't give you directions to, that's worth checking out. Ask your gf, maybe she will know where it is.

The best and probably most expensive restaurant is Vechny Zov.. They bake and serve their own bread. No other restaurant does that, to my knowledge.

Also, there are plenty of churches.. One of them has a fascinating picture of Judgment Day on the wall, and another one- a picture of God the Father on the ceiling. :saint:

Offline mendeleyev

• Spouses Country: Russia
  • Trips: 20+
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2011, 03:05:51 PM »
We have several pages of Russian cities and here is the link to Tomsk: http://ruadventures.com/forum/index.php/topic,6377.msg89236.html#msg89236

Possum, please add any comments and photos to the topic, and welcome to RUA.

Bones, as Possum indicated, you'll love the area.

Offline Bones

« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2011, 04:33:05 PM »
Thank you guys! I'll make good use of the info.

Offline el_guero

• My Russian improves slowly.
  • Spouses Country: Ukraine
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2011, 04:46:32 PM »
OK, this asks a question in my mind.

Can you get deet there, or can you get dog collars?

Can you bring bug repellant in your baggage?  And would you be allowed to import dog collars?  Fold your pants up on the inside with the collar inside and over your cowboy boots.  Do not make skin contact, and do not use on children, or pregnant women ....

Offline possum

« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2011, 12:13:18 AM »
OK, this asks a question in my mind.

Can you get deet there, or can you get dog collars?

DEET is available here under the name ДЭТА.. Most of the other sprays, such as Mosquitall, are also DEET based.

Offline Bones

« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2011, 01:20:51 AM »
We have several pages of Russian cities and here is the link to Tomsk: http://ruadventures.com/forum/index.php/topic,6377.msg89236.html#msg89236

Interesting link, don't know how I missed it before in my RUA search but it certainly has helped get me even more amped for the trip. ;)

Offline possum

« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2011, 01:49:46 AM »
How long are you going to be staying, Bones?  :reading:

Offline Bones

« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2011, 02:54:36 AM »
I could only get away for 9 days total. I'm assuming there will be plenty of accessible internet cafes in Tomsk as in other towns. I have some online classes that I have to keep up with but I won't let this interfere with my visit. It was either this or wait until Fall and risk losing a developing relationship that has excellent potential.

Offline possum

« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2011, 01:10:30 AM »
I could only get away for 9 days total. I'm assuming there will be plenty of accessible internet cafes in Tomsk as in other towns. I have some online classes that I have to keep up with but I won't let this interfere with my visit. It was either this or wait until Fall and risk losing a developing relationship that has excellent potential.

9 days of no AC and possibly no hot water should be plenty of time for you to get a feel for life in Siberia. There is no shortage of Internet cafes, though, so you should be fine in that regard..

Offline Bones

« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2011, 02:09:37 AM »
Can you suggest a place to stay Possum?

Offline possum

« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2011, 08:07:44 AM »
Can you suggest a place to stay Possum?

I assumed you would be staying with your gf.. It's a great way to cut expenses while allowing you to get to know her family and friends. Not to mention it affords a greater degree of intimacy in your day-to-day interactions..

If you're planning on staying at a hotel, most of the good ones are located on or just off the main drag. But be prepared to pay a western rate for a tiny substandard room.

Offline Bones

« Reply #12 on: May 31, 2011, 08:27:50 AM »
She lives with her parents in a small 3 room flat so it would be awkward at best. Thanks Possum.

Offline possum

« Reply #13 on: May 31, 2011, 08:58:57 AM »
She lives with her parents in a small 3 room flat so it would be awkward at best. Thanks Possum.

Then I recommend you find a hotel close to her home so you don't have to take a "marshrootka" every time you go on a date. :biggrin:

Offline mendeleyev

« Reply #14 on: May 31, 2011, 09:13:51 AM »
Another option would be "Girl Friday" who rents apartments in Tomsk. http://www.russiangirlfriday.com/Tomsk/Tomsk_apts.htm I think she also does some translation work if needed.

There are hotels and restaurants as well as visitor info here: http://wikitravel.org/en/Tomsk

Apartments: http://www.soeasyrent.com/property_details.php?action=details&property_id=408

A good way to estimate prices on services and items is Numbero. Their page on Tomsk is here: http://www.numbeo.com/cost-of-living/city_result.jsp?country=Russia&city=Tomsk

Offline Bones

« Reply #15 on: August 19, 2011, 03:25:36 AM »
Made it back from Tomsk. Just wanted to say that I would recommend it to anyone that may be considering a visit there and glad to say that I felt comfortable there. As for her parents concerns about the streets of Tomsk late in the day were, I believe, more about parental protectiveness than Tomsk itself.

Offline Chris

• Spouses Country: Chernivtsi, Ukraine
« Reply #16 on: August 19, 2011, 05:19:17 AM »
Made it back from Tomsk. Just wanted to say that I would recommend it to anyone that may be considering a visit there and glad to say that I felt comfortable there. As for her parents concerns about the streets of Tomsk late in the day were, I believe, more about parental protectiveness than Tomsk itself.

I was due to visit Tomsk a few years ago, but never made it, whats the City like?
Слава Україні

Offline Bones

« Reply #17 on: August 20, 2011, 12:59:44 AM »
It was pretty much as Possum and Mendeleyev described. I would also suggest a visit to nearby Novosibirsk.

Offline msmoby

• BANNED
  • BANNED
« Reply #18 on: August 20, 2011, 02:30:09 AM »
Member Tonton might appear, soon ;) !
I have never claimed to be a Blue Beret

Spurious claims about 'seeing action' with the Blue Berets are debunked >here<

Here is my Russophobia/Kremlinphobia topic

Offline possum

« Reply #19 on: August 21, 2011, 12:43:01 AM »

Bones,

I'm glad you enjoyed your stay in Tomsk despite the weather.. We've had the coldest summer in 30 years, and I can't imagine any tourist being too happy about that.. :P How did it go with the girl you were meeting? You should write a trip report as not many foreigners make so far off the beaten path.. It could be useful to others. Also, if I see another TR from Odessa I might lose it.. :'(

Online andrewfi

• Supporting Member
    • Articles About Almost Anything!
« Reply #20 on: August 21, 2011, 09:21:40 AM »
That numbeo site is very useful, thats for the pointer!  tiphat
...everything ends always well; if it’s still bad, then it’s not the end!

Offline Bones

« Reply #21 on: August 23, 2011, 12:24:19 AM »

Unfortunately Possum it didn't work out as I had hoped. We enjoyed our visit but it seems that our personalities were such that well... you know.