The World's #1 Russian, Ukrainian & Eastern European Discussion & Information Forum - RUA!

This Is the Premier Discussion Forum on the Net for Information and Discussion about Russia, Ukraine, Eastern Europe and the Former Soviet Union. Discuss Culture, Politics, Travelling, Language, International Relationships and More. Chat with Travellers, Locals, Residents and Expats. Ask and Answer Questions about Travel, Culture, Relationships, Applying for Visas, Translators, Interpreters, and More. Give Advice, Read Trip Reports, Share Experiences and Make Friends.

Author Topic: Places to stay on first visit.  (Read 3895 times)

Offline Evilferret

Places to stay on first visit.
« on: April 19, 2007, 08:15:48 PM »
Hello everyone,

I have another question to ask.
This time I was wondering  Is it cheaper to stay in a hotel or rent an apartment if I am planing on staying a week in Kiev, Ukraine.

thanks

evilferret

Offline Rim

Re: Places to stay on first visit.
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2007, 08:56:22 PM »
I'd go apartment, but not just because of the price, it usually makes the ladies feel more comfortable.

I like working with Pavel http://www.yourukraineguide.com.ua/

I've always considered his prices fair for the quality of service that I've received.

Offline Shadow

• Ochag - Family fireplace
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2007, 01:16:30 AM »
In Kiev I would go apartment, as the cleaning service is close to hotel and you have more privacy.
If you are able to use Google search for apartment Kiev and you will come up with enough hits to make you happy. Mostly apartments are rented out by agents, you will find the same apartment offered at different prices. It pays to shop around.
If in any doubt, ask your woman to visit the office or call them.
2 know more than 1 but 100 know less

Offline Chris

• Spouses Country: Chernivtsi, Ukraine
  • Trips: 20+
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2007, 02:22:46 AM »
I would echo what the guys have said also, I have always rented an apartment in both Ukraine and Russia, never had any problems, they are cheaper and more flexible also.

But as they say, shop around the apartments you find are usually rented by a number of different companies/agencies and prices can be a lot different from one to another.
Слава Україні

Offline Evilferret

« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2007, 12:53:38 PM »
Yeah I was thinking apartments because i have heard of some scary story's about hotels mistreating your lady's because they think they are hookers.
I also was thinking apartment because as you said above it feels more comfortable to them. How secure do you think the apartments are though?

evilferret

Offline Chris

« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2007, 01:00:38 PM »
Yeah I was thinking apartments because i have heard of some scary story's about hotels mistreating your lady's because they think they are hookers.
I also was thinking apartment because as you said above it feels more comfortable to them. How secure do you think the apartments are though?

evilferret

I have never had any security problems, if you have ever seen the Russian front doors you will know why, usually steel with numerous types of lock and usually at least one inner door also. It's easier to get into Fort Knox than someones apartment  ;)
Слава Україні

Offline Shadow

• Ochag - Family fireplace
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2007, 01:18:49 PM »
In many buildings not only the apartment has a steel door, but also there is someone sitting downstairs lookin to keep out trouble.
And in general Kiev is a safe city.
2 know more than 1 but 100 know less

Offline Evilferret

« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2007, 02:11:21 AM »
Yeah I figured they where pretty safe just thought id ask in case someone had any bad experiences :)

Offline Chris

« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2007, 03:24:27 PM »

Also for the more intrepid traveller you can ask your friends to find a private apartment for you. I've rented out a spare room or full apartment (while the owner went to stay with family for a few days).

I have done that too Jooky just recently in Ufa, although it wasn't planned ;) the family who lived ther were just moving out as I arrived :D it was cheap but pretty basic though, no where near as good as the luxury one I had in Moscow!
Слава Україні

Offline BCKev

• Spouses Country: Ukraine
  • Trips: 10-20
« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2007, 11:27:17 PM »
I stayed in a few hotels in the FSU, and didn't like them much. For the same money you could get a much more comfortable apartment.

The apartments I rented in Kiev ranged in price from $55 for a studio to $90 for a 3 room, all nice places. I had no concerns about security/safety. 

Offline 2tallbill

• Spouses Country: Russia
  • Trips: 10-20
« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2007, 05:49:27 AM »
Put me down for the apartment vote as well.

A few reasons:

1. about the same price or less
2. You can cook do laundry etc. (or even better yet your lady can cook something nice)
3. Very few ladies will go to a hotel room because they will
often be suspected to be prostitutes by the hotel staff or security
4. They are more comfortable

One thing you have to remember in Russia is that you still have to get your visa stamped.

Bill
FSUW are not for entry level daters. FSUW don't do vague FSUW like a man of action so be a man of action  If you find a promising girl, get your butt on a plane. There are a hundred ways to be successful and a thousand ways to f#ck it up
Kiss the girl, don't ask her first.
Get an apartment not a hotel. DON'T recycle girls

Registration