The World's #1 Russian, Ukrainian & Eastern European Discussion & Information Forum - RUA!

This Is the Premier Discussion Forum on the Net for Information and Discussion about Russia, Ukraine, Eastern Europe and the Former Soviet Union. Discuss Culture, Politics, Travelling, Language, International Relationships and More. Chat with Travellers, Locals, Residents and Expats. Ask and Answer Questions about Travel, Culture, Relationships, Applying for Visas, Translators, Interpreters, and More. Give Advice, Read Trip Reports, Share Experiences and Make Friends.

Author Topic: The Plotting Begins  (Read 1117 times)

Offline Hrafn

• Spouses Country: Ukraine
  • Trips: 1-5
The Plotting Begins
« on: April 13, 2011, 01:26:08 PM »
Hey guys,

So, after talking to my lady (going the WOVO route now that I initially waded through lots of letters!), we've mostly locked down a date for me to come visit - end of August/beginning of September. We've decided on visiting western Ukraine for our first meeting - somewhere near the mountains. Of course she has been to the area before and would be able to play tour guide exclusively, but me being the man, I wanted to layout the plans and try to lead her around instead.  :ROFL: Of course getting her input before and during the trip if there was something specific she wanted to do/see. But I basically mean I don't want to show up and say, "Ok, lead on!"

That being said, I know that a ton of you have visited the area. I'm basically looking for a jumping off point. A place that gives me the option to maybe see some of the great city stuff (Lvov comes to mind/castles), but also be able to go walking through the pine tree forests, see the waterfalls/rivers... nature things. I don't know if it'd be better to stay in a city like Lvov, or maybe one of the villages like Yaremche.

I know Chris specifically had a few travel experiences there, but the links to some of the stuff I found via search don't seem to open for me, so I'm not sure if the threads still exist or what.

Basically looking for a good "base of operations" for our stay there, plus any suggestions anyone has for must see amazing sights there. Oh, and I'm planning on a being there a week for this first trip.

Thanks for any info/opinions, guys (and gals)!

Offline Chris

• Spouses Country: Chernivtsi, Ukraine
  • Trips: 20+
Re: The Plotting Begins
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2011, 01:47:45 PM »
Hrafn

Start by reading the threads below and I will add more as and when I get time:-

Western Ukraine - Life and Leisure - Village Life

Chernivtsi

Maps

Life and Leisure Activities in the Carpathian Mountains Post #18 onwards

Khotyn Fortress

Ukrainian Culture
Слава Україні

Offline Hrafn

• Spouses Country: Ukraine
  • Trips: 1-5
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2011, 02:53:39 PM »
Thanks, Chris!

Those posts were great. Very detailed. It was funny to see the wedding dresses out near the shipping containers. So white and pristine next to so much dirt. Brides to be would probably die!  :laugh: I appreciate you giving me the working links (No idea why I couldn't get them to properly load from the search), and I'm interested in anything else you might have for me to absorb. :)

Offline Chris

• Spouses Country: Chernivtsi, Ukraine
  • Trips: 20+
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2011, 03:07:18 PM »
Thanks, Chris!

Those posts were great. Very detailed. It was funny to see the wedding dresses out near the shipping containers. So white and pristine next to so much dirt. Brides to be would probably die!  :laugh: I appreciate you giving me the working links (No idea why I couldn't get them to properly load from the search), and I'm interested in anything else you might have for me to absorb. :)

Hrafn

The links are all corrupted, it happened after we moved servers some time ago, so had to cobble the stuff together and herrie sorted some of the other stuff by merging the threads a while back.

Chernivtsi University below - my Father in Law is a Professor here and he and the MiL live two minutes walk from this building, we had a lot of our wedding photos taken here so it holds special memories for us, we were both also there two years ago when Yushenko was on the balcony out front giving a speach. Worth a  visit if you are ever in the area.

ila_rendered
Слава Україні

Registration