The World's #1 Russian, Ukrainian & Eastern European Discussion & Information Forum - RUA!

This Is the Premier Discussion Forum on the Net for Information and Discussion about Russia, Ukraine, Eastern Europe and the Former Soviet Union. Discuss Culture, Politics, Travelling, Language, International Relationships and More. Chat with Travellers, Locals, Residents and Expats. Ask and Answer Questions about Travel, Culture, Relationships, Applying for Visas, Translators, Interpreters, and More. Give Advice, Read Trip Reports, Share Experiences and Make Friends.

Author Topic: The Language Barrier And Intimacy  (Read 6817 times)

Offline kenny2112

• Trips: 1-5
Re: The Language Barrier And Intimacy
« Reply #25 on: December 29, 2010, 03:37:52 PM »
I am trying to learn Russian because I want to be able to communicate with her. It's on me as a man to do this in my eyes... do what is necessary to make this all happen and learning Russian is just part of it.

It really isn't that difficult. You're not going to be fluent in a month but a few bucks and some time invested in listening to some mp3s and books should mean something to her and probably her family. If nothing else, you'll be a more well rounded human being. After all, how many of your high school buddies speak more than 4 words in Russian?

Great attitude!

As to her having things to tell you but not having the words, I'd read that as more of her liking you more and more and wanting to share thoughts on a deeper level and more indepth, not just intimacy. That is a compliment from her to you.

Thank you, Mendy. Your insight does mean a lot to me. We really haven't been intimate at all and I could care less. She actually asked me to extend my visit with her while I was there, but I couldn't. Then asked me to come back so we could be together for New Years, but again unfortuantely I couldn't.

I did play a fun game with her at dinner one night. She wanted me to speak Russian and loves when I do. She says my accent is very good. I wanted her to speak English but she wants to speak fluently and be perfect before she does so. I made a deal with her. I would speak in Russian and she would repeat back in English. I spoke a few sentences such as "maybe tomorrow we could have lunch together" and "I don't want to leave" and "I want another beer" and then I hit her with "ya tebya lublue". She smiled wide, threw her hands wide and said "I love you too" with the greatest smile!!!

As a side benefit of learning Russian I am able to blow the minds of unsuspecting Russian and Ukrainian folks here in the states. It has gotten me and my kids invited to family picnics and I was even taught to eat sunflower seeds like a real Russian! I have been surprised by how many Russian and Ukrainian folks live in my area. We even have a food store owned by a Ukrainian couple with all Russian and Ukrainian foods.

Offline mendeleyev

• Spouses Country: Russia
  • Trips: 20+
« Reply #26 on: December 29, 2010, 06:30:16 PM »
I really admire the things you are doing to share in her world, and obviously she is responding to that. Women appreciate men who make them feel good about themselves, who make them feel safe, and who make them feel important in your world. Your investment in time and attention is a great example.

Offline kenny2112

• Trips: 1-5
« Reply #27 on: December 29, 2010, 10:34:28 PM »
I really admire the things you are doing to share in her world, and obviously she is responding to that. Women appreciate men who make them feel good about themselves, who make them feel safe, and who make them feel important in your world. Your investment in time and attention is a great example.

Thanks Mendy. Seriously, I know that I started learning Russian just because it seemed like the right thing to do; to be able to speak in her language at least some. Now, it is a matter that I need to if I ever hope to bring this relationship to the next level. It is up to me. Plus I'm just really fond of communicating and not feeling like an idiot as I try to perform the simplest of tasks when I'm with the girl that I'm trying to impress. ("how many is vocem-decet again?")

I'm not into this to go over there, date this girl a couple of times, make her fall in love with me and then just bring her back to my country. She really is important to me and I wish I could get to know her the same way that I would a girl in my own country but I can't pull off moving there for months because of my kids and job. Why not try to make it as normal as possible for her? Why not even agree to spend as much time as possible in Ukraine if we do find success? I love her city anyhow. Why not learn how things work over there? Learn about her family, friends, what is really going on around me while I'm there so I don't screw up too bad and don't appear too ignorant. It interests me and she is worth it.

Registration