The World's #1 Russian, Ukrainian & Eastern European Discussion & Information Forum - RUA!

This Is the Premier Discussion Forum on the Net for Information and Discussion about Russia, Ukraine, Eastern Europe and the Former Soviet Union. Discuss Culture, Politics, Travelling, Language, International Relationships and More. Chat with Travellers, Locals, Residents and Expats. Ask and Answer Questions about Travel, Culture, Relationships, Applying for Visas, Translators, Interpreters, and More. Give Advice, Read Trip Reports, Share Experiences and Make Friends.

Poll

Has Your Wife Gained Weight? What Does She Weigh Now?

She now weighs less than she did
3 (5.1%)
She weighs about the same
17 (28.8%)
She has gained less than 5kgs (11 pounds)
5 (8.5%)
She has gained 5-10kgs (11-22 Pounds)
2 (3.4%)
She has gained more than 10kgs (22 pounds)
5 (8.5%)
I haven't noticed and/or don't care
1 (1.7%)
My wife weighs under 50kgs (110 Pounds)
3 (5.1%)
My wife weighs 50-55 kgs (110-121 Pounds)
11 (18.6%)
My wife weighs 55-60 kgs (121-132 Pounds)
4 (6.8%)
My wife weighs 60-65 kgs (132-143 Pounds)
1 (1.7%)
My wife weighs more than 65 kgs (143 Pounds)
2 (3.4%)
I don't know or care what she weighs
5 (8.5%)

Total Members Voted: 36

Author Topic: Will She Put On Weight After Marriage? Find Out Here - This is the SLIM topic!  (Read 16993 times)

Offline Manny

• Spouses Country: Russia
  • Trips: 20+
That's a good point Rasputin. For me personally, when thinking of average height women, above 55kgs is getting a bit on the heavy side. Over 60kgs would probably be too heavy.

A further consideration is that a woman of 60ish kilos may well write 55 on a profile.
Read a trip report from North Korea >>here<<

"He wants to build a wall to keep the Mexicans out. He reckons that's a great idea. The Chinese built a wall centuries ago - there ain't many Mexicans over there." ~ Kevin Bloody Wilson

Offline ecocks

• Always willing to help.
not one guy ever wanted to meet a woman that was anything but slim. I have met very few overweight Russian wives.

Manny, it all depends on how you define "slim." For some, it seems they define the term as borderline anorexic  For me, too thin was a big turnoff :sick0012:  I was looking for a woman who was well-proportioned (i.e. the right curves in the right places and the woman from Izhevsk you chose in the other thread certainly fits that description  :evilgrin0002:) and had a normal weight. In other words, a woman who was neither overweight/obese, nor extremely skinny.

Wow Manny, I am blown away by this observation. I "met" dozens and saw thousands upon thousands.

Offline Rasputin

• Trips: 10-20
That's a good point Rasputin. For me personally, when thinking of average height women, above 55kgs is getting a bit on the heavy side. Over 60kgs would probably be too heavy.

Let's see. My wife is 55 give or take a kilo. She went up to 62 one winter and decided to lose weight and came back down to 55. She isn't on the "heavy side" at 55 and she looked mighty fine to me when she was 62  :evilgrin0002: My only conclusion: some men prefer women who are lacking in certain areas  :-X
"Seems I live in Russia Rasputin visited" - Millaa
"So do I" - Molly35ru

Offline Eyjafjallajökull

:sick0012:
I'm surprised you set your choice on RW, some boyish teenager from Philippines would be a perfect  match for you. ;D
Once you go Ukraine, you'll scream with sex pain.

Offline shakespear

• Supporting Member
My experience with TWO Russian wives and hundreds of their friends was pretty much the same in this regard.

1.  As they sample and taste new and delicious foods and encounter American size portions they'll gain 20-40 pounds pretty quick. 

2.  In most cases, once their clothes start fitting too tight, and/or they see themselves in a mirror they'll realize they've put on weight and will diet, moderate their eating habits and exercise to get back to +/- 10 pounds their normal weight by themselves within the first year.   

3.  I a few cases they retain the initial weight gain but modify their behavior so they don't gain any more. 
"If you obey all the rules, you miss all the fun" - Katharine Hepburn

Offline Manny

not one guy ever wanted to meet a woman that was anything but slim. I have met very few overweight Russian wives.

Manny, it all depends on how you define "slim." For some, it seems they define the term as borderline anorexic  For me, too thin was a big turnoff :sick0012:  I was looking for a woman who was well-proportioned (i.e. the right curves in the right places and the woman from Izhevsk you chose in the other thread certainly fits that description  :evilgrin0002:) and had a normal weight. In other words, a woman who was neither overweight/obese, nor extremely skinny.

Wow Manny, I am blown away by this observation. I "met" dozens and saw thousands upon thousands.

I am talking about relocated ones married to foreigners. Not women married to Russian guys in Russia.

"He wants to build a wall to keep the Mexicans out. He reckons that's a great idea. The Chinese built a wall centuries ago - there ain't many Mexicans over there." ~ Kevin Bloody Wilson

Offline msmoby

• BANNED
  • BANNED
I'm surprised you set your choice on RW, some boyish teenager from Philippines would be a perfect  match for you. ;D

:ROFL:  ouch ....

I'm 181 cm and 86kg and *I* consider myself overweight... No... I AM overweight.. :-[

The irony of some folk who are clinically obese ( "fat b*stards" ! ) setting some arbitrary 'no longer slim over a certain weight ' must have slimmer members and most FSU ladies smirking...

I realise the thread is "will she put on weight"....  chances are she WILL - our metabolisms slow down and we exercise less as we get older.

When I met my wife I weighed 78 kg and she WANTED me to put on a little weight ...   :o   I HATE how I look now, and I will try harder to lose another 6 kgs...   

Eyjafjallajökull: my wife is tiny and slim ( understatement some might say ) she can wear the clothes of a 12/13 yr old girl She is a US 0/2 ( UK 4/6)  ... I didn't set out to find such a small framed partner but that's how it worked out...  Most women seem 'large' to me now....  I know it's crazy.. but it's what one is used to....

and YET.. Manny has a point...  Would 'overweight' guys be able to 'pull' such slim, attractive gals in the UK ;) ?

Veta comments that she sees obese UK women with quite handsome slim partners - so maybe it's a myth...

So Girls.. be HONEST are we coming across as conceited ?  :-[

I have never claimed to be a Blue Beret

Spurious claims about 'seeing action' with the Blue Berets are debunked >here<

Here is my Russophobia/Kremlinphobia topic

Offline Manny

I think the whole "slim" topic is a bit like the elephant in the room that nobody will mention. When I think of all the folks I have met, know through the boards and those my wife and/or I have worked with, not one guy ever wanted to meet a woman that was anything but slim. I have met very few overweight Russian wives. However, the way society pressures many people to be PC, makes guys shy to actually mention it. They try to pass off their wife's slimness as just something that casually happened by chance.  :chuckle: -- Like hell, they travelled thousands of miles to find exactly that trait amongst others! The thing is, there is nothing wrong with that. It ain't a crime.

Case in point..............

my wife is tiny and slim ( understatement some might say ) she can wear the clothes of a 12/13 yr old girl She is a US 0/2 ( UK 4/6)  ... I didn't set out to find such a small framed partner but that's how it worked out... 

Pull the other one -- it has bells on.  :ROFL:

Offline msmoby

• BANNED
  • BANNED
The Russian lady I lived with in CY was 56 kg and 165cm ( just over your 'heavy' threshold ) .. My ex-wife was petite - 165 cm and probably 55 kg - in both cases they were well endowed and this might have accounted for a couple of 'extra' kilos..

OF COURSE I set out to find a slim attractive woman. .   I wasn't specifically looking for someone QUITE as 'slim' as my eventual wife...  I do hope that clears up any misconceptions..  ;) 

So as you have raised the 'denial factor' - do you honestly think 'we' aren't being a little too shallow - in view of our own extra Kg ?!   

Frankly, if my wife goes on the beach and sunbathes  I'm now ashamed to take my top off ( belly ) - I feel folk might be wondering what she is doing with the fat git...  :-[

[edited - spelling ]

Offline Manny

So as you have raised the 'denial factor' - do you honestly think 'we' aren't being a little too shallow - in view of our own extra Kg ?!  

Frankly, if my wife goes on the beach and sunbathes  I'm now ashamed to take my top off ( belly ) - I feel folk might be wondering what she is doing with the fat git...  :-[

Its not shallow; we are merely expressing a preference. Why must the guys weight always be compared? How is that relevant? Who says we must all match? Must we wear matching sweaters too?  :chuckle:

Look on Russian beaches. The guys don't all look like Charles Atlas do they? There are some blody huge blokes over there; most with 55kg women too. Look at the folks you know who are married to RW, I bet more than a few are quite corpulent. Your other poll proves it. Weight in reasonable amounts on men is pretty much a non issue I have found (and observed). If the bloke carries it OK, and especially if tall enough, many women find it OK. Some like the feeling of being "protected" by a big guy. And those women can be found in abundance in all countries. Tastes differ. I have a pal who is with an Estonian/Russian woman (not Andrew). He must weigh in at around 25 stone. His wife (considerably slimmer naturally) is often to be found snuggling up to him calling him "my big bear" in Russian. Clearly, she didn't find his lack of six pack a deal breaker......

Offline ecocks

• Always willing to help.

I am talking about relocated ones married to foreigners. Not women married to Russian guys in Russia.

I figured as much Manny. Yet, what's your point with regard to why this is so? Do the RW who marry WM possess some secret "something", genetic, emotional, intellectual or whatever, that you believe will keep them slim? Skim through a few pics and avatars here and at another forum and the trend seems pretty typical to me. I see Brits and Americans (no Canadians or Aussies yet) who married gals that began showing typical babushka genes in their late 40's and 50's.

Offline Jinx

• Watched
My experience with TWO Russian wives and hundreds of their friends was pretty much the same in this regard.

1.  As they sample and taste new and delicious foods and encounter American size portions they'll gain 20-40 pounds pretty quick. 

2.  In most cases, once their clothes start fitting too tight, and/or they see themselves in a mirror they'll realize they've put on weight and will diet, moderate their eating habits and exercise to get back to +/- 10 pounds their normal weight by themselves within the first year.   

3.  I a few cases they retain the initial weight gain but modify their behavior so they don't gain any more. 

This is a man with experience, spot on Shakey.  Nataly gained a few pounds her first year here from having too much money in her pocket and a world of possibilities she had never seen before at the supermarket. She went home for summer that year and when she came back she was back to her normal weight and has never gone much over that since.

I think everyone gains a few pounds after marriage, both men and women. You eat the same things and of course you are not living the single life and having to compete with others in the dating scene, it's only natural.

Offline Eyjafjallajökull

When I see mésalliances like this, a fairy tale of Thumbelina comes to my mind, when the poor little girl ran away from an old fat mole who wanted to marry her.
Do you think your wives aren't upset they didn't manage to find tiny flower-fairy princes just their size and to their liking? :-\
Once you go Ukraine, you'll scream with sex pain.

Offline msmoby

• BANNED
  • BANNED
Its not shallow; we are merely expressing a preference. Why must the guys weight always be compared? How is that relevant? Who says we must all match? Must we wear matching sweaters too?  :chuckle:

So, what you seem to be saying is: our preference is for slim ladies, but it doesn't matter if we become fat b*st*rds?  .. that our wives might not also have had a preference for the lither version of her man who has now become 'obese'  ? ;)

Look on Russian beaches. The guys don't all look like Charles Atlas do they? There are some blody huge blokes over there; most with 55kg women too. Look at the folks you know who are married to RW, I bet more than a few are quite corpulent. Your other poll proves it. Weight in reasonable amounts on men is pretty much a non issue I have found (and observed). If the bloke carries it OK, and especially if tall enough, many women find it OK. Some like the feeling of being "protected" by a big guy. And those women can be found in abundance in all countries. Tastes differ. I have a pal who is with an Estonian/Russian woman (not Andrew). He must weigh in at around 25 stone. His wife (considerably slimmer naturally) is often to be found snuggling up to him calling him "my big bear" in Russian. Clearly, she didn't find his lack of six pack a deal breaker......

Your examples are noted, but 'we' like FSU who take care of THEMSELVES.. shouldn't we be respecting OURSELVES, too ?!

I am reminded of an obese member here who 'proudly' posted himself posing with Russian beauties whilst he had large patches of sweat on his attire...   HE might not notice or even 'care' but many observers found it distasteful and even risible.

Thank GOD many FSU women aren't as shallow as us blokes !

Offline Chris

• CAD Drawing and Surveying for Office and on Site - Point - Shoot - Drawn - Instant Floor Plans
  • Spouses Country: Chernivtsi, Ukraine

Veta comments that she sees obese UK women with quite handsome slim partners - so maybe it's a myth...

So does Ira, in fact now she has commented on it a good few times I see it myself too  :)

But this is very true also

Quote from: Manny
Look on Russian beaches. The guys don't all look like Charles Atlas do they? There are some blody huge blokes over there; most with 55kg women too. Look at the folks you know who are married to RW, I bet more than a few are quite corpulent. Your other poll proves it. Weight in reasonable amounts on men is pretty much a non issue I have found (and observed). If the bloke carries it OK, and especially if tall enough, many women find it OK. Some like the feeling of being "protected" by a big guy. And those women can be found in abundance in all countries.

Offline skiingandrunning

• Meмber
So, what you seem to be saying is: our preference is for slim ladies, but it doesn't matter if we become fat b*st*rds?  .. that our wives might not also have had a preference for the lither version of her man who has now become 'obese'  ? ;)

Your examples are noted, but 'we' like FSU who take care of THEMSELVES.. shouldn't we be respecting OURSELVES, too ?!

Moby,

You bring up good points.  Just because a slim women can love a FAT man does not mean that it's right that the said FAT (OK, the politically correct term is big) man to demand another standard for his wife (trust me, the double standard is noticed by the female).  Maybe it's just me, but I'm not going to hold another person to a standard I have no intention of meeting myself. 

Also, I will repeat something that I have mentioned many times, if the only reason a person is looking in the FSU for a wife is because he wants a thin women, then he needs to look in the mirror as thin (in shape) women probably exist in the same proportions as trim (in shape) men.  It's just that the women who busts her butt to keep the weight off is often not interested in a flabby man.  Granted, as is true in the FSU, if the man has other attributes such as fame or a BIG bank account, there can be exceptions but this is usually a class of women that trades on her appearance to get ahead (which is often not different from many women who look to export themselves).

So if you are wondering why I look in the FSU if I say that plenty of thin women exist in the west, it's because appearance is just one of the things that comprise the total package of a person. 

Offline mendeleyev

Mrs M would skin me alive, regardless of being her "Teddy Bear" if ole Mendeleyev were to mention her weight in public. Women, including beautiful ones like her, are funny about that. She is very "easy on the eyes" but not a beanpole. Heads turn and she gets noticed easily and as many have said, no man consciously seeks out an unattractive wife.

I marvel at how she can gain a few and then with the snap of a finger just lose it all--seemingly at will and with no effort. She is not that far from her weight during our courting days, back in the days when we had no car in Moscow and walked everywhere to/from public transport.

With the diagnosis of the big "D" recently I've lost an average of 3+ lbs weekly and she now jokes about losing some of the padding in her favourite Teddy Bear. But I know that she is pleased, the doctor is pleased, our daughters are pleased, and I feel much better and have more energy being 26 lbs/12 kilograms lighter. I want to slim down more and the doctor agrees, but she is not so enthusiastic, saying that I'll die by losing too much too fast.

Her mother now struggles with weight and I think it has her wondering if she will someday be faced with those same struggles.

Online Ward_Cleaver

• Trips: 1-5
The poll attached to this topic is designed for our married members to vote. (To the Divorced: You can include your FSU ex wives as well).

Well, I have never been married to a FSU woman but I dated one who told everyone, including my own mother, that we were married.  She had been here for about seven years and still looked GREAT!  I didn't vote but I think that she is a valid data point so if I were to vote I would say the following:

- She weighs about the same
- My wife weighs under 50kgs (110 Pounds)

I think the whole "slim" topic is a bit like the elephant in the room that nobody will mention.

I'm not shy about saying I like thin women.  In fact I talk about it SO much that people tire of hearing it. :chuckle: Especially my fat friends.

Offline dwfunk

Clearly, she didn't find his lack of six pack a deal breaker......

Sometimes the "six pack" is there, just padded a bit . . .

-david

Offline msmoby

• BANNED
  • BANNED
Sometimes the "six pack" is there, just padded a bit . . .

-david

My younger Bro says, "why have a six-pack, when you can have a full barrel ?!"

Offline skiingandrunning

• Meмber
I'm rereading "Wedded Strangers: The Challenges of Russian-American Marriages" as I found it a good read 3 years ago, so I wanted to refresh myself as I promised it to a friend.  Anyways, I almost started laughing when I read this passage:

Some American women are pleasantly surprised by the Russian penchant for heavier females.  Russian peasant culture has always equated health with weight: plumpness pointed to a women who could bear children and  do her share of the work.

What I found ironic was that things have really changed in Russia as thin is in, but also it gives the overweight members a "I told you so" moment.  Granted if you were to believe everything in the book then you will have to accept the authors characterization that most foreign bride seekers are social misfits.  :-X  :chuckle:

BTW, I would still recommend reading it.

Online Bruce Lee

• Trips: 5-10
When I see mésalliances like this, a fairy tale of Thumbelina comes to my mind, when the poor little girl ran away from an old fat mole who wanted to marry her.
Do you think your wives aren't upset they didn't manage to find tiny flower-fairy princes just their size and to their liking? :-\
My wife didn't get upset, as I'm young slim and attractive  ;D
If you get a minute check out Bruce's TR - Its not quite finished, however its still a pretty good read IMHO.

If I win the lottery I'll finish it this week if not I'll probably complete it when I retire!!! Until then I hope you enjoy the story so far!

Offline Turboguy

Good for you Bruce.  Personally I am an old, fat mole.  That is the best part of dating RW.  they all wear high heals and that keeps them from running away as fast.

In the interests of domestic tranquilty and harmony, I have not voted in this thread.  I will comment however that not all women carry their weight the same.  Sometimes too, height can be a factor.   A woman who was 6' tall would often have a weight that would be heavy on a woman who was 5' tall.   

I do recall looking at my wife's height and weight on her profile when I first saw it and at the photo which showed a slender but not skinny woman.  I thought the weight listed must be wrong.  It wasn't and she is still slender and well built but very solidly built.  Numbers don't tell the whole story. 

Online Bruce Lee

• Trips: 5-10

Good for you Bruce.  Personally I am an old, fat mole.  That is the best part of dating RW.  they all wear high heals and that keeps them from running away as fast.

In the interests of domestic tranquilty and harmony, I have not voted in this thread.  I will comment however that not all women carry their weight the same.  Sometimes too, height can be a factor.   A woman who was 6' tall would often have a weight that would be heavy on a woman who was 5' tall.  

I do recall looking at my wife's height and weight on her profile when I first saw it and at the photo which showed a slender but not skinny woman.  I thought the weight listed must be wrong.  It wasn't and she is still slender and well built but very solidly built.  Numbers don't tell the whole story.  
Turbo, don't sell yourself short, you look fine on the photo  tiphat

For whats its worth I also didn't vote, I only replied because I didn't fall into the aforementioned stereotype  ;D
If you get a minute check out Bruce's TR - Its not quite finished, however its still a pretty good read IMHO.

If I win the lottery I'll finish it this week if not I'll probably complete it when I retire!!! Until then I hope you enjoy the story so far!

Offline Manny

Nobody can see who voted for what (except Herrie and he wont look).

I think it is a useful data point for future reference.

I am aware taller women will weigh more of course, but as most tend to be 5'4"-5'7" for example, it will still average out if y'all vote, even if your woman is 6'2" and slim but 65kg. The amount of weight she gained after coming to your country is an especially useful data point to other guys.