The World's #1 Russian, Ukrainian & Eastern European Discussion & Information Forum - RUA!

This Is the Premier Discussion Forum on the Net for Information and Discussion about Russia, Ukraine, Eastern Europe and the Former Soviet Union. Discuss Culture, Politics, Travelling, Language, International Relationships and More. Chat with Travellers, Locals, Residents and Expats. Ask and Answer Questions about Travel, Culture, Relationships, Applying for Visas, Translators, Interpreters, and More. Give Advice, Read Trip Reports, Share Experiences and Make Friends.

Author Topic: Applause  (Read 3045 times)

Offline nsua

Applause
« on: August 17, 2007, 12:59:07 PM »

I just got back yesterday from a two-week trip to Crimea, traveling on Aerosvit New York to/from Kiev.

On both flights, the passengers gave a round of applause when the airline touched down.  I have never noticed such behavior on flights before, including a couple of prior transatlantic trips.  Is this a Ukrainian practice? 

English was scarcely heard on either flight, from passengers or staff; the flight attendants seemed to prefer 'sign language' over English (for a flight ending or originating in the US!).  I assume the passengers were mostly Ukrainian or Ukrainian-American.

Online Markje

• MCMLXXIV
    • Mark's unix pages
  • Spouses Country: Crimea
  • Trips: 20+
Re: Applause
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2007, 01:16:32 PM »
I heard it happen a lot. It must be a european thing I guess.
OO===[][]===OO
My first trip to my wife: To Evpatoria!
My road trip to Crimea: Roadtrip to Evpatoria

Offline ForgeMaster

« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2007, 01:27:25 PM »
Happened on all of my flights except for one where the landing was less than ideal.  Then there was a long pause as if to make sure that the plane would not capsize even after it was on the ground. 
ForgeMaster
FirstMember

Offline grimalkin

« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2007, 01:54:45 PM »
Is this a Ukrainian practice? 

It's a FSU practice, I believe.

Offline Manny

• Spouses Country: Russia
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2007, 02:34:52 PM »
I heard it happen a lot. It must be a european thing I guess.

I have experienced it in UK and Europe, usually after a difficult landing.
Read a trip report from North Korea >>here<<

Offline Chris

• CAD Drawing and Surveying for Office and on Site - Point - Shoot - Drawn - Instant Floor Plans
  • Spouses Country: Chernivtsi, Ukraine
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2007, 02:47:59 PM »
I have experienced it in UK and Europe, usually after a difficult landing.

Same here, many times, cannot ever remember it when I have flown to the US though?

Offline PlumberMan

« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2007, 07:14:14 PM »
OK, I'll share flight details of my first trip to Ukraine. As some of you who have read my A/S know that on my exit flight back home out of Odessa, there where a group of A/W  along going to Vienna. I was quite on the plane thinking about the girl I was leaving. As we took off everything seemed fine, but after five-ten minutes i heard the pilot over the speaker. Knowing only a handfull of emergency Russian and the urgency in his voice calling the stewardest to the cockpit I knew something was up.

Intensely waiting for the flight crew to return I noticed the locals where, say scared sh!tless. The cockpit door opened and the three UW had tears running down there face. Know I'm thinking, they are crying! :scared0005:. About this time the plane is banking hard port side heading back to Odessa. It seems as though every time you hear of a plane crash, it's shortly after take off. One of the three stewardest was so upset that one of the others had to shake her. I'm thinking this is it! For a brief moment i had imagined fish pecking at my bloated body on the bottom of the Black Sea.

It was a surreal feeling, I could'nt even hear the AW bellowing anymore. As I  looked out the window I could see the airport. Strange thing was that we were going to land away from the main terminal. As we approached landing I realised I was standing up while everyone else was bracing for a crash landing. I had a grip on the avocado green head rest in front of me so tight I about tore it off the seat. As we approached landing the rear tires on the plane made contact, then the pilot gave full power and we took off again briefly, I felt my spirit jump out of my body for a moment :o. We landed away from the main run way. Once we came to a stop applause broke out.

I find out later that the pilot was certain the landing gear on the front of the plane hadn't fully tucked back in the plane wouldn't come out, wouldn't go in. After hearing this from costumer service ::) I asked, where where the fire trucks? Ambulance? No, just that old worn out people transporter.

Offline BCKev

• Spouses Country: Ukraine
  • Trips: 10-20
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2007, 07:59:10 PM »
It's a FSU practice, I believe.

I thought it was an American thing!

Offline mirror

« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2007, 08:51:57 AM »

These applause definitely are not Russian tradition. I never saw similar in local flights.

Offline mirror

« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2007, 08:53:22 AM »
I thought it was an American thing!

It is possible American thing after 11th Sept.  :bow:

Offline mendeleyev

« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2007, 10:15:40 PM »
Certainly not American.  We just expect a landing to go well.  A good landing is not to be appreciated, it's to be expected.  They's why they have all the training and get paid so well.  Of all the trips made back and forth, I think most to my memory have featured the applause.   My wife says it's because Aeroflot has such a spotty safety record that Russians are just pleased to have landed safely.  This was going on a decade before Sept 11.  Maybe Ukrainians feel the same about Aerosvit?

Offline Bobalouie

• Names Ash....Housewares
« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2007, 11:19:50 PM »
I have never seen it on any American or Australian flight I have been on. I have seen it on every single Ukrainian and Russian flight I have been on.  I asked the Russian sitting next to me on my last flight and he told me it was because in the old days you didnt know if the equipment would stand the rigors of landing and not crash.

Dont know if that is true, just relaying what he told me.
Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun!

Offline nunya

• RIP
    • First Dream
« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2007, 07:57:37 AM »

These applause definitely are not Russian tradition. I never saw similar in local flights.

Well my dear Mirror, something is not adding up here.  I have probaby been on some 400-500 American flights in my life, never once has this happened on an American domestic flight.

The first time, and second, third, fourth, fifth time I ever saw this happen was on flights landing in Russia.  And this was five and six years before 911.  The only time I see people applauding are flights landing in Russian, Ukraine, the FSU, or flights landing in other European countries that originated from an FSU flight. 

It might be a European thing, but I can tell you it is also very much a Russian/FSU thing.

tbelknap

« Reply #13 on: August 19, 2007, 03:54:35 PM »
In my consultant days, I was flying twice a week for years and years in America and Australia.  There was no applause when landing on any of my trips.  The only time I heard the clapping of hands was when I came to Ukraine via Poland.  Touching down in Warsaw and everyone was applauding.  This is most definately not an American thing.

Thomas

Offline Wiz

• Watched
« Reply #14 on: August 19, 2007, 11:42:01 PM »

Well my dear Mirror, something is not adding up here.  I have probaby been on some 400-500 American flights in my life, never once has this happened on an American domestic flight.

It might be a European thing, but I can tell you it is also very much a Russian/FSU thing.

How can you compare your experience of 400 -500 American flights to her 10-20 Russian flights experience?  :laugh:

Don't ask about my flying experience as I only travel by donkey and only heard the applauding when my FSU donkey trip has landed!

Offline ForgeMaster

« Reply #15 on: August 20, 2007, 10:04:48 AM »
How can you compare your experience of 400 -500 American flights to her 10-20 Russian flights experience?  :laugh:
Don't ask about my flying experience as I only travel by donkey and only heard the applauding when my FSU donkey trip has landed!

Wiz,
  I remember the last time I flew on Donkey.ru, the ride was as rough as the landing.  I was the only passenger and it was the donkey that clapped when I got off.  Sounded muffled, though, because he was clapping his ears.  This was an amazing sight to me and one I will never forget.   :cowboy:
ForgeMaster
FirstMember

Offline 2tallbill

• Trips: 10-20
« Reply #16 on: August 24, 2007, 04:21:28 AM »
I have heard applause at the end of every landing in Ukraine, but not on my few flights in Russia, I don't have enough experience to say whether or not its common on Russian flights, but definitely its a tradition on Ukrainian flights.

I have never heard applause on a single flight on any airline here in the US, or on my flights to Western Europe. It's definitely not an American thing.

Just my two kopecks,

Bill
FSUW are not for entry level daters. FSUW don't do vague FSUW like a man of action so be a man of action  If you find a promising girl, get your butt on a plane. There are a hundred ways to be successful and a thousand ways to f#ck it up
Kiss the girl, don't ask her first.
Get an apartment not a hotel. DON'T recycle girls

Offline bobjf

« Reply #17 on: August 24, 2007, 10:49:43 PM »
only times i ever heard applause was landings in russia.
being an aussie was both amazed & horrified at the same time.
1st at watching fellow passengers cross thenselves,close there eyes & get a death grip on seat armrests at take off & then horror when they clapped on landing,why you might ask
alright for them i had to get back on the damn things to go home
spoiled by qantas safety record,tupolovs are hard to take  :o
it takes two willing givers to make two happy receivers
result happy couple most of the time lol