The World's #1 Russian, Ukrainian & Eastern European Discussion & Information Forum - RUA!

This Is the Premier Discussion Forum on the Net for Information and Discussion about Russia, Ukraine, Eastern Europe and the Former Soviet Union. Discuss Culture, Politics, Travelling, Language, International Relationships and More. Chat with Travellers, Locals, Residents and Expats. Ask and Answer Questions about Travel, Culture, Relationships, Applying for Visas, Translators, Interpreters, and More. Give Advice, Read Trip Reports, Share Experiences and Make Friends.

Author Topic: Russian Doctors and Health care in Russia.  (Read 2097 times)

Offline Wiz

• Spouses Country: Russia
  • Trips: 20+
Russian Doctors and Health care in Russia.
« on: August 17, 2007, 01:08:29 AM »
Not up to our western standards of course,

I have heard the above comment time after time from many posters and I would like to ask the question.

What is your experience and opinion about Russian Doctors and Health care in Russia?

Please make comments from your own experience and not from “hear say”….

Thanks.

Offline mendeleyev

• Trips: 20+
Re: Russian Doctors and Health care in Russia.
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2007, 10:36:57 AM »
Wiz, my parents were medical missionaries so I've seen all sorts of medical facilities.  My first experience in a Russian style hospital was in the centre of Moscow, in what was advertised as "one of the finest" facilities in Russia.

My stepdaughter had a soccer injury and so the free ambulance arrived and we hopped in and rode with her to the hospital.  With a sprained ankle no ambulance was necessary but my wife insisted.  After all, it was provided by the government.  Free.  Okay.........

Upon arrival to "one of Moscow's finest" we were ushered into the emergency room with concrete floors, cinderblock walls, 14 foot ceilings, and 1960s style wiring and plumbing fixtures.  I saw very little of the modern sanitary supplies and examination equip which would have been expected in any western facility.  

Soon a young doc arrived and he struck me as a very intelligent and educated young doctor.  However his ability to diagnose with modern equipment was almost nonexistent.  In flawless English he apologized that the x-ray machine was shared by 3 Moscow hospitals and that week was stationed at one of the other facilities.  He offered to have the ambulance transport us there if we wished.  

When it was time to wrap and stablize her injury before we left for home he announced after about a 15 minute search that there were no supplies to wrap her ankle.  So we would have to visit a neighborhood "Apteka" (pharmacy) to find the proper supplies. Other than a flashlight, reflex hammer, blood pressure cuff, thermometer and stethoscope on his table, he had very little in the way of modern treatment "technology" at his disposal.

My second visit was also in Moscow to a convalesent facility to visit one of my mother-in-laws elderly friends who had fallen and broken her hip.  We entered a very old and run-down facility.  It was clean but I honestly doubt that it could meet medical licensing requirements in any western country.  

With the elevator ("lift") not working we hiked up 5 or 6 floors via the stairway and entered her room.  The furniture was old.  Very old and sparse.  The mattress on her bed clearly sagged and I wondered how a hip injury could correctly heal with such a sagging mattress.

At that time in the evening there was adequate steam heat from the room radiator but she told us that nights could get very cold.

Offline Donhollio

« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2012, 07:47:34 PM »
  Can anyone tell me what a native Russian speaker would earn monthly/annually being a radiologist in Russia?

Offline Larry

• Trips: 5-10
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2012, 07:56:04 PM »
Don,

I'll bet the income will vary wildly depending on things such as whether the radiologist works in a high-end private hospital in a large city or a government run hospital. 

One of my ex-girlfriend's mother was the head of a department in a hospital in a medium-sized city in Belarus and she made between $350 and 400/month.  A few years ago I talked to a young doctor in Siberia who told me her salary was only $200/month.  But I suspect a lot of doctors there make better salaries.

Offline JayH

• Watched
  • Spouses Country: Ukraine
  • Trips: 5-10
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2012, 08:21:42 PM »

Thanks.

Your trying to destroy the fabric of the forum-- all the "experts" are here -just ask them !!

Offline CzechMate

• Trips: 1-5
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2012, 09:06:39 PM »
I knew a former FSU doctor who acknowledged he had no idea how to use the equipment in a standard doctor's office.

He was very frustrated, but decided to become a phlebotomist (which paid a decent salary where he lived in the US). 
When I shoot, I recover the spent casing and reload the brass.

Offline el_guero

• My Russian improves slowly.
  • Trips: 10-20
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2012, 11:07:10 PM »

I have heard the above comment time after time from many posters and I would like to ask the question.

What is your experience and opinion about Russian Doctors and Health care in Russia?

Thanks.

It is a different culture.

However, their doctors get a good education.  They have very basic equipment.

But, you will be examined by a Doctor and not a medical clerk.

The good ones will be very fast, and very competent.

I do not know any bad ones.

As for pay, many 'government' doctors subsidize their incomes by working in private hospitals.

In America, the leading cause of death is medical treatment.  I doubt medical care is the leading cause of death in Ukraine or Russia.

You won't get a pill pusher .... like you might get in the USA.

Most people only go for serious ailments.

Wayne

PS .... it costs a whole lot less than in the USA ....

Offline Bill

• Trips: Semi-Resident
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2012, 11:37:34 PM »

Thanks.

It is a different culture.

However, their doctors get a good education.  They have very basic equipment.

But, you will be examined by a Doctor and not a medical clerk.

I don't know who you are but you can't be Russian. Lived in Russia for 2 years, went to the hospital and clinics several times with friends who needed treatment.  Nurses often treated patients that didn't have serious injuries. Nurses also did triage for the more serious injuries in some cases.

The good ones will be very fast, and very competent.

I do not know any bad ones.

One of my friends was hit by a drunk driver, many broken bones. Was treated in a Moscow hospital and evacuated back to Texas. Found out a month later that he had to have his right leg reset because Moscow doctors set it wrong. Oops. 

In America, the leading cause of death is medical treatment.  I doubt medical care is the leading cause of death in Ukraine or Russia.

In America the leading cause of death is the same as in Russia, heart disease.  There are similarities in the death stats between the US and Russia but several striking differences. For instance HIV/Aids is #6 death stat in Russia but #34 in the US. Good to know if you want a sexual relationship with a RW. 

http://www.worldlifeexpectancy.com/news/russia-vs-united-states-top-10-causes-of-death

You won't get a pill pusher .... like you might get in the USA.

Easy to get prescription meds in Russia, even easier than in the US or Europe. You sure you've been to the FSU?

Offline el_guero

« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2012, 11:41:46 PM »
Bill,

You have been drinking cool-aide.

Iatrogenesis.

http://www.ourcivilisation.com/medicine/usamed.htm

http://www.lef.org/magazine/mag2004/mar2004_awsi_death_01.htm

http://www.draxe.com/conventional-medicine-is-the-leading-cause-of-death/  -- Truly my favorite article.

Less medicine, unless you are seriously ill, is better medicine.

I'll lay off the sarcasm, tonight.

Wayne

Offline CzechMate

• Trips: 1-5
« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2012, 11:45:06 PM »
In case anyone is interested...

A colleague who was a military dentist retired in a city with a substantial FSU community.  He did not speak Russian, but knew a business opportunity when he saw one and recruited former dentists from the FSU and paid for their training to become dental assistants.  He offered a solid salary and complete benefit package and was soon bringing in a lot of cash for an overall nominal investment.  Everyone was smiling - the patients, the hygienists, and the dentist (all the way to the bank!).
When I shoot, I recover the spent casing and reload the brass.

Offline Bill

• Trips: Semi-Resident
« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2012, 12:48:21 AM »
Bill,

Iatrogenesis.

http://www.draxe.com/conventional-medicine-is-the-leading-cause-of-death/  -- Truly my favorite article.

Wayne

Wayne because the US prescribes too many pills or does too much surgery you believe less is better? Less medical intervention for heart disease or Aids or cancer or liver disease or stroke? How does that work? 

Russia has 3 times as many deaths from heart disease as the US despite having less than half the population. What's Russia doing wrong? Too much treatment or not enough? I've seen Russian hospitals, I've experienced US Army medical treatment first hand, I'll stick with the US medical system. 

Offline Donhollio

« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2012, 08:09:17 AM »
   I am looking for a monetary amount. Anyone know?  Milla?

Offline BC

« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2012, 10:18:48 AM »
Bill,

Iatrogenesis.

Wayne

Wayne because the US prescribes too many pills or does too much surgery you believe less is better? Less medical intervention for heart disease or Aids or cancer or liver disease or stroke? How does that work? 

Russia has 3 times as many deaths from heart disease as the US despite having less than half the population. What's Russia doing wrong? Too much treatment or not enough? I've seen Russian hospitals, I've experienced US Army medical treatment first hand, I'll stick with the US medical system.

Why does the US have 80 deaths per 100,000 vs 50 for italy and 30 for Japan?... despite spending twice or three times as much for healthcare?

Heck Spain is a puzzle....

compare

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_cigarette_consumption_per_capita

with

http://www.worldlifeexpectancy.com/cause-of-death/coronary-heart-disease/by-country/

Spaniards smoke only a hundred less cigarettes per capita than Russia but are at the bottom of the list for cardiovascular deaths...

France is at the very bottom of the list for cardiovascular death but one of the countries that drink the most alcohol..

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_alcohol_consumption

There just seems to be little correlation with many factors...  Is healthcare in China better than in the US?  How about Hati for goodness sake.....  as far as cardiovascular health they are doing much better than the US.

What is Russia doing wrong?  Who really knows.... but it does not seem to be related to healthcare.

Offline Muzh_1

« Reply #13 on: July 31, 2012, 10:47:14 AM »

Spaniards smoke only a hundred less cigarettes per capita than Russia but are at the bottom of the list for cardiovascular deaths...

Joder! Lo que pasa es que se las cobran de otra manera.

France is at the very bottom of the list for cardiovascular death but one of the countries that drink the most alcohol..

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_alcohol_consumption

Mon dieu, mon ami, it eez not zee alcohol. It eez zee red vine. Vive la difference!!

Offline BC

« Reply #14 on: July 31, 2012, 11:13:48 AM »
Mon dieu, mon ami, it eez not zee alcohol. It eez zee red vine. Vive la difference!!

That does correlate.....

A balance of good food, good drink, good rest, good time and less stress seems to be worth more than meds and tests and operations.

I hope all that will balance out life with a RW here....

Oh lordy... maybe that's it...  Should FSUW come with a warning label??

Offline el_guero

« Reply #15 on: July 31, 2012, 12:20:57 PM »

That does correlate.....

A balance of good food, good drink, good rest, good time and less stress seems to be worth more than meds and tests and operations.

I hope all that will balance out life with a RW here....

Oh lordy... maybe that's it...  Should FSUW come with a warning label??

"Warning, she will extend or end your life."

;)