The World's #1 Russian, Ukrainian & Eastern European Discussion & Information Forum - RUA!

This Is the Premier Discussion Forum on the Net for Information and Discussion about Russia, Ukraine, Eastern Europe and the Former Soviet Union. Discuss Culture, Politics, Travelling, Language, International Relationships and More. Chat with Travellers, Locals, Residents and Expats. Ask and Answer Questions about Travel, Culture, Relationships, Applying for Visas, Translators, Interpreters, and More. Give Advice, Read Trip Reports, Share Experiences and Make Friends.

Author Topic: EU to offer Ukraine pathway to visa-free travel in Europe  (Read 27362 times)

Online Markje

• MCMLXXIV
    • Mark's unix pages
  • Spouses Country: Crimea
  • Trips: 20+
Re: EU to offer Ukraine pathway to visa-free travel in Europe
« Reply #50 on: April 29, 2015, 03:57:06 PM »
Yanukovych is wanted internationally as well as in the Ukraine.

Yanukovych had made his way to the top of Interpol's wanted persons list. The global police organisation issued a Red Notice on Yanukovych and others from his inner circle for "charges including embezzlement and misappropriation".

"Red Notices are one of the ways in which Interpol informs its member countries that an arrest warrant has been issued for an individual by a judicial authority," said the agency.

http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/ukraine-crisis-where-viktor-yanukovych-one-year-his-ousting-president-1488867

I must be doing something wrong, i can't find his wanted-page on interpol:

http://www.interpol.int/notice/search/wanted

Can you find him?

EDIT: Found him, I spelled the name wrong.

Curious though, as interpol members include Russia, so the case should be handled.
OO===[][]===OO
My first trip to my wife: To Evpatoria!
My road trip to Crimea: Roadtrip to Evpatoria

Offline msmoby

• BANNED
  • BANNED
  • Spouses Country: Russia
« Reply #51 on: April 30, 2015, 01:21:23 AM »
@andrewfi.. the difference is 'alfy' has BEEN ..recently.. to most of the places we discuss and knows smart people with conflicting viewpoints / experiences who know / see lots more than you glean from reading stuff. 

This 'troll' observes that my post of April 2..re the OSCE.. went unanswered..... 

Never too busy to pick you up on your howlers...

sent from the beach... surrounded by Russians

I have never claimed to be a Blue Beret

Spurious claims about 'seeing action' with the Blue Berets are debunked >here<

Here is my Russophobia/Kremlinphobia topic

Offline Texan77

« Reply #52 on: April 30, 2015, 04:13:57 AM »
3) There has been no "threat" to invade Ukraine. The US invented that and fed it to a complicit media.

Offline Tom Cat

« Reply #53 on: May 16, 2015, 05:48:49 PM »
 [Eng] [Ua]

European MPs: We expect visa free regime with Ukraine in 2015

Kiev, May 16, 2015. The Eastern Partnership summit, which is scheduled to take place in Riga on May 21-22, should become a platform to express greater solidarity of the EU states with Ukraine. European MPs, Petras Auštrevičius and Mark Demesmaeker, gave a press briefing at Ukraine Crisis Media Center, commenting on the issue: “We expect a visa free regime with Ukraine in 2015.”European MPs emphasized that Ukraine has to fulfill a number of conditions in order to get a visa free regime, namely introduce of biometric passports and an integrated information system to know who crossed the state border, as well as adopt agreements to counter international organized crime.Moreover, Ukraine needs to restore control over the state border. “We might accept some administrative lines as a point of reality, but nothing more. We have signed documents with one Ukraine only,” Mr. Auštrevičius said.Petras Auštrevičius cited EU-Moldova history of visa liberalization as an example: “The EU made an agreement with one Moldova. The people in Transnistria were given a possibility to travel to the EU by getting Moldova passports: 70,000 people did this. Ukraine has resources, knowledge and willingness to repeat their success.”Both parliamentarians stressed the importance of delivering information about the ongoing reforms to the public. “Ukrainian institutions have to learn how to bring information to the people and explain their actions. Reforms can only proceed hand in hand with the domestic support,” Mr. Auštrevičius said.Mark Demesmaeker noted that the European Union has to show greater solidarity with Ukraine. The test for this comes next June when the issue of extending economic sanctions against Russia will be discussed. “I am sure that sanctions will be extended. In my personal opinion, we should tighten them. As long as Crimea is annexed and Russia continues to support pro-Russian forces in eastern Ukraine, the dialogue could be conditional only. Together the EU and Ukraine are much stronger,” Mr. Demesmaeker concluded
Don't shoot the messenger, links to articles posted, don't necessarily reflect my personal opinion.

Online andrewfi

• Supporting Member
    • Articles About Almost Anything!
« Reply #54 on: May 17, 2015, 02:26:26 AM »
Tom Cat, sometimes people without the authority to make policy speak out about policy. It would seem that the people referred to in your copy/pasted words are part of that group.
The claims made in that piece run counter to EU policy as stated and clarified only a few days ago by those with the relevant authority to do so.

That said, even these jokers parading themselves in Kiev know enough to cover their asses by then saying exactly why Ukraine will not get that which only a few moments previously they told their audience they could have.

This is just more hot air aimed at the poor Ukrainians by their incumbent government and a couple of no-mark MEPs who have not yet read their briefing notes.

Alfymoby please do not assume that just because you have unlimited time to fill and a life filled with boredom that others are the same as you. If I choose to not reply to your silliness it is because doing so has no marginal value to me.
Lack of empathy is a key trait of the sociopath, lack of empathy is why you are unable to understand that we are not all like you.
...everything ends always well; if it’s still bad, then it’s not the end!

Offline Tom Cat

« Reply #55 on: May 17, 2015, 09:07:29 AM »
Tom Cat, sometimes people without the authority to make policy speak out about policy. It would seem that the people referred to in your copy/pasted words are part of that group.
The claims made in that piece run counter to EU policy as stated and clarified only a few days ago by those with the relevant authority to do so.

That said, even these jokers parading themselves in Kiev know enough to cover their asses by then saying exactly why Ukraine will not get that which only a few moments previously they told their audience they could have.

This is just more hot air aimed at the poor Ukrainians by their incumbent government and a couple of no-mark MEPs who have not yet read their briefing notes..

Wouldn't it be better to offer visa free travel now, on a trial basis?
One of the requirements are biometric visa, to date only a few thousand have been issued.
In an year or two, there could be several million holding their golden ticket.
I don't live in Europe,so it really doesn't matter the outcome, but sooner or later this will come up again.
Don't shoot the messenger, links to articles posted, don't necessarily reflect my personal opinion.

Offline The Natural

• Trips: 5-10
« Reply #56 on: May 17, 2015, 09:55:40 AM »

This is just more hot air aimed at the poor Ukrainians by their incumbent government and a couple of no-mark MEPs who have not yet read their briefing notes..

One of the requirements are biometric visa, to date only a few thousand have been issued.
I don't live in Europe,so it really doesn't matter the outcome, but sooner or later this will come up again.

It would be a very bad idea for Europe to have visa free travels from Ukraine. The country will surely totally collapse and Europe will be flooded by, not only People looking for work and be righteous tax-paying inhabitants, but also hoardes of hardened criminals. They would make the Baltic criminals that travel around breaking into stores and homes that by now is a big problem here, look like Saints.

Online andrewfi

• Supporting Member
« Reply #57 on: May 17, 2015, 10:06:06 AM »
Tom Cat, as I have said before, what I think to be a good idea is not an issue. Here I merely noted that the claimed words of these two MEPs ran counter to that which the decision makers had already said.

This story, or its Ukraine language original, is about misleading the poor Ukrainians.

Online Markje

• MCMLXXIV
    • Mark's unix pages
« Reply #58 on: May 17, 2015, 10:22:56 AM »

The politician that makes visa-free travel for ukraine will commit political suicide, as there is 0 support from the European countries.
OO===[][]===OO

Offline Tom Cat

« Reply #59 on: May 17, 2015, 11:39:46 AM »

The politician that makes visa-free travel for ukraine will commit political suicide, as there is 0 support from the European countries.

Would seem when all is said and done, Ukraine will eventually have to beg Russia for forgiveness, and go back to where they are accepted.
Hell of a tragedy these people had to go through, only to end up worse off, and back to where they started.

Offline Manny

« Reply #60 on: May 17, 2015, 12:01:48 PM »

Would seem when all is said and done, Ukraine will eventually have to beg Russia for forgiveness, and go back to where they are accepted.
Hell of a tragedy these people had to go through, only to end up worse off, and back to where they started.

Maybe they wont listen to Uncle Sam's ideas next time. Russia is part of the solution to the problems facing Ukraine as it has always been. Its hard to see much positive happening with an alienated Russia next door.
Trip Reports: Links to my travels in Russia, Estonia, North Korea, South Korea, China and the US are >>here<<

Look what the American media makes some people believe:
Putin often threatens to strike US with nuclear weapons.

Offline Tom Cat

« Reply #61 on: May 17, 2015, 12:11:24 PM »

Maybe they wont listen to Uncle Sam's ideas next time. Russia is part of the solution to the problems facing Ukraine as it has always been. Its hard to see much positive happening with an alienated Russia next door.

I have thought the same Ukraine was better off with Russia.
Now Poroshenko passed some crazy laws, and talks of fighting to the end.
Possibly it will take another regime change to correct the situation.

Online Markje

• MCMLXXIV
    • Mark's unix pages
« Reply #62 on: May 17, 2015, 12:15:18 PM »
It is their own choice, when they illegally removed Yanukovich from power.

Had they followed the Ukrainian law, there would be no forced riots, no Crimea deciding 'we dont need that, lets go independent' Then Crimea wouldn't have joined Russia in a Referendum later either..

Crimea still in Ukraine means no donbass troubles. And all the cards fall in to place. Break the law, get punished works even for governments.

Mark.
OO===[][]===OO

Offline Tom Cat

« Reply #63 on: May 17, 2015, 12:23:31 PM »
At the very least, the United states should be the first to offer visa free travel for Ukraine, being they started this.

Offline Ste

• RIP
  • Beware of Muslamic Rayguns
  • Spouses Country: The Planet Zanussi
« Reply #64 on: May 17, 2015, 12:25:24 PM »

No way - it's about shutting the door now, and mostly the former Eastern bloc states have shown they cannot be trusted, apart from Baltic States being more Scandinavian (can trust) pinched by USSR in 1945 or so.

Never met a nice Albanian....

And I'm a socialist!
O pointy birds, o pointy pointy, Anoint my head, anointy-nointy.

Offline Anteros

• Trips: 1-5
« Reply #65 on: May 17, 2015, 12:30:30 PM »

No way - it's about shutting the door now, and mostly the former Eastern bloc states have shown they cannot be trusted, apart from Baltic States being more Scandinavian (can trust) pinched by USSR in 1945 or so.

Never met a nice Albanian....

And I'm a socialist!

:thumbsup:
Be careful what you wish for, you might get it.

Online andrewfi

• Supporting Member
« Reply #66 on: May 17, 2015, 12:36:18 PM »
Because I don't think  am the only person in Europe who knows something of Ukrainian economics and recent history I find it impossible to believe that the plan to offer the EU Association Agreement, under the terms that were signed, was not a deliberate policy designed to cause upheaval in relations between Russia and Ukraine and at the same time to destroy the Ukraine economy.

What may have been a surprise was the degree to which the economy of Ukraine was hit.

When the agreement was drafted it would have been known that there was almost nothing that Ukraine could export to the EU but at the same time it would have been known that the terms made it possible for external would be stakeholders to access Ukrainian assets in a manner that almost all previous Ukrainian governments had worked very hard to avoid. The previous Orange Revolution should have ushered in a similar degree of access but the resultant government's incompetence made that plan fail.

The Ukrainian people have been lied to about what the Association Agreement meant and what it's impact upon the country would be. Had they listened to Yanukovych then the trouble would have been avoided. His decision to go along with the AA was not a willing choice and his decision to hold back on signing was inevitable when the costs became known. Remember the EA Association Agreement was written to benefit four main groups of external stakeholders: The EU (and its commercial interests), The US (and its commercial and state interests), NATO and lastly, the IMF although the latter was, in large part more a tool of the implementation of the acquisition of the assets.

The people who foisted the EU Association Agreement upon the Ukrainian state and nation all have bloody hands and bear responsibility for harm that they knew would happen. A part of the bloody dance of the past year has been an effort to slope the shoulder and force Russia into a position of responsibility for the excesses that were, almost certainly, beyond the scope of what the major stakeholders in the EU's economic invasion of Ukraine expected.

Offline The Natural

« Reply #67 on: May 17, 2015, 12:39:13 PM »
At the very least, the United states should be the first to offer visa free travel for Ukraine, being they started this.

Yes, that should be the case if there would be any "reaping what you sow" consequences in the world. In addition, I'd say it would serve us in Europe right to also have to Accept the desperate People fleeing Ukraine as we too supports the nazi junta there. And add to that, all NATO countries (including my own) who bombed Libya in 2011 which resulted in chaos and loads of refugees. Send them to us to deal With and perhaps Next time around the politicians would be forced to rethink their awful tactic of "bombing nations states to Democracy."

Offline bagalia

• Spouses Country: Ukraine/USA
« Reply #68 on: May 17, 2015, 12:55:10 PM »
It is their own choice, when they illegally removed Yanukovich from power.

Had they followed the Ukrainian law, there would be no forced riots, no Crimea deciding 'we dont need that, lets go independent' Then Crimea wouldn't have joined Russia in a Referendum later either..

Crimea still in Ukraine means no donbass troubles. And all the cards fall in to place. Break the law, get punished works even for governments.

Mark.

Yanu is welcome back in Ukraine anytime. The Supreme court awaits him. I am positive he will be given bodyguards to ensure his safety also.
Misery is the river of the world; everybody row, everybody row.

Offline The Natural

« Reply #69 on: May 17, 2015, 01:01:56 PM »

I live in a tiny village of 300 and we have a couple of Lithunian families here. They don't seem very Scandinavian to me, they keep to themselves although hold normal jobs.

But there are others from the Baltics that are an increasing problem. They Work as Contractors as carpenters, get business that no lacals can compete With because they work like crazy for a few months and then go back home. They don't pay taxes to the county and can still live for several months back home like kings on what they earned in the very high cost/high wage climate of Norway. Then they make another run, same thing.
Locals are stuck here, paying high taxes and high living expenses, though. The workers unions warned this would happen, but the politicians still went Ahead and joined the "free marked" With the EU.

Other problems With the Baltics are their crime runs here. You look at them and they look nothing like a Scandinavian. They look at you With suspicion and in a manner that makes you not want to trust them at all. Before Christmas 5 of them tried to break into a shop just across the road of my house. We blocked their van, but one of them, drunk as hell, jumped into the car and backed into the owners car. 3 of them were aggressive and I had to drag one of them to the ground in a choke-hold. As we were waiting for the police, 2 of them ran away and when the police caught them, they resisted arrest.

Do you know what happened to them? Nothing!!! It couldn't be proved who tried to break into the shop. It's all for nothing expecting the Law to stop these assholes. I kinda regret not doing as a pal of mine suggested, doing some serious harm to the DUI  :censored: er.

Online Markje

• MCMLXXIV
    • Mark's unix pages
« Reply #70 on: May 17, 2015, 01:12:36 PM »

Yanu is welcome back in Ukraine anytime. The Supreme court awaits him. I am positive he will be given bodyguards to ensure his safety also.

Too late, the damage is done.
OO===[][]===OO

Offline Anteros

• Trips: 1-5
« Reply #71 on: May 17, 2015, 02:02:10 PM »

I live in a tiny village of 300 and we have a couple of Lithunian families here. They don't seem very Scandinavian to me, they keep to themselves although hold normal jobs.

But there are others from the Baltics that are an increasing problem. They Work as Contractors as carpenters, get business that no lacals can compete With because they work like crazy for a few months and then go back home. They don't pay taxes to the county and can still live for several months back home like kings on what they earned in the very high cost/high wage climate of Norway. Then they make another run, same thing.
Locals are stuck here, paying high taxes and high living expenses, though. The workers unions warned this would happen, but the politicians still went Ahead and joined the "free marked" With the EU.

Other problems With the Baltics are their crime runs here. You look at them and they look nothing like a Scandinavian. They look at you With suspicion and in a manner that makes you not want to trust them at all. Before Christmas 5 of them tried to break into a shop just across the road of my house. We blocked their van, but one of them, drunk as hell, jumped into the car and backed into the owners car. 3 of them were aggressive and I had to drag one of them to the ground in a choke-hold. As we were waiting for the police, 2 of them ran away and when the police caught them, they resisted arrest.

Do you know what happened to them? Nothing!!! It couldn't be proved who tried to break into the shop. It's all for nothing expecting the Law to stop these assholes. I kinda regret not doing as a pal of mine suggested, doing some serious harm to the DUI  :censored: er.

While I am sorry to hear this, now just imagine that you were a law abiding citizen living in Baltimore.  You and the Police have targets on your backs, and there are not just a few of them, there are hundreds of thousands.
Be careful what you wish for, you might get it.

Online AvHdB

• Spouses Country: Ukraine, Kiev
« Reply #72 on: May 17, 2015, 08:24:56 PM »
The apologists of V. F. Yanukovych on RUA amaze me.  :-X

He raped and enriched himself, his family and his cronies at the cost of people of Ukraine. His henchmen trashed almost every law, because they were connected. Is it better in the Borderlands no, but the people struggle on. When V. F. Yanukovych saw his reign was over and he was going to face legal problems as a former dictator he fled to the only country that would accept him. Did he stand up and face his accusers, no. His blunders are to numerous to list and I understand from friends who voted for him before in Odessa and Kherson they often spit when they hear his name.

I wonder though if he will return to be governor of Donetsk, where he came from.

Since Porchenko has largely restored the constitution to a pre-Yanukovych form. I would suggest those moping to find a new song. You are beginning to sound like N. Chamberlain.

As for visa free travel between Schengen countries and Ukraine this is not going to happen soon and most likely not latter as well. Having said this a Schengen visa for a Ukraine citizen is relatively easy to obtain.
“If you aren't in over your head, how do you know how tall you are?” T.S. Eliot

Online Markje

• MCMLXXIV
    • Mark's unix pages
« Reply #73 on: May 18, 2015, 12:26:14 AM »
The apologists of V. F. Yanukovych on RUA amaze me.  :-X

He raped and enriched himself, his family and his cronies at the cost of people of Ukraine. His henchmen trashed almost every law, because they were connected. Is it better in the Borderlands no, but the people struggle on. When V. F. Yanukovych saw his reign was over and he was going to face legal problems as a former dictator he fled to the only country that would accept him. Did he stand up and face his accusers, no. His blunders are to numerous to list and I understand from friends who voted for him before in Odessa and Kherson they often spit when they hear his name.

I wonder though if he will return to be governor of Donetsk, where he came from.

Since Porchenko has largely restored the constitution to a pre-Yanukovych form. I would suggest those moping to find a new song. You are beginning to sound like N. Chamberlain.

As for visa free travel between Schengen countries and Ukraine this is not going to happen soon and most likely not latter as well. Having said this a Schengen visa for a Ukraine citizen is relatively easy to obtain.

Man, so man wrongs in 1 message

1) Yanukovich's thievery is no better or worse than any of his "collegues" including Poroshenko. The P-man is turning out to be an even bigger thief than Yanukovich ever was, but because its Europe getting robbed, the Ukrainians do not see this (yet). (Search for instance, how many property the gas-princess owns. In fact, search for the name gas-princess, if you want to know about Yanu's predecessor.).

2) Yanukovich might have been a thief, but his successor P-man is a murderer of at least 6000 innocent civilians. Thats far worse in my book. Yanukovich NEVER sent the army against those who opposed him. Only Riot-police.

3) Yanukovich fled for his life, they wanted him dead, court was only later when they need interpol to bring him back to Ukraine.

4) So list some blunders. He made only 1 , rejecting the EU without explaining himself. Had he done so, I seriously doubt this mess would have started.

5) People in Odessa might spit on his name, but they burn the (pro-russian) opposition alive, so no respect for them here.
OO===[][]===OO

Offline msmoby

• BANNED
  • BANNED
« Reply #74 on: May 18, 2015, 01:25:23 AM »

Man, so man wrongs in 1 message

Yes, in your response... :chuckle:

1) Yanukovich's thievery is no better or worse than any of his "collegues" including Poroshenko.

Let's analyse this - Yanu' was a career Politician who got awfully rich on a salary of $15k/ year - while one of his sons terrorised most of the other Oligarchs ... The P-man was the only Oligarch standing up to Yanu'....

For sure the Gas Princess was corrupt and Yanu' put her away - as she was also his strongest opposition. You constantly overlook that Yanu's own party - the Party of Regions stated, we ''strongly condemn the criminal orders that led to human victims, an empty state treasury, huge debts, shame before the eyes of the Ukrainian people and the entire world."

2) Yanukovich might have been a thief, but his successor P-man is a murderer of at least 6000 innocent civilians.

sick ... as Yanus' own Party point out , 'human victims' were part and parcel of Yanus' regime, and even he regrets asking the Kremlin for 'help' over Crimea .....

The figure of 6k is way too low and I think you need to look to those who were encouraged to 'rise up' much more than the P-man's attempts to regain control. Please do speak of 'self-determination' unless you condemn the double standards of the Kremlin in Chechniya.

Thats far worse in my book. Yanukovich NEVER sent the army against those who opposed him. Only Riot-police.

Get your facts and time line in order, he had already seen RU troops in fancy dress facilitate the take-over of Crimea, THEN witness ex-RU GRU act militarily within Ukraine to take-over Police Stations, Public buildings, TV stations, etc.,

Yeltsin and Putin flattened Grozny when Chechens tried the same.

3) Yanukovich fled for his life, they wanted him dead, court was only later when they need interpol to bring him back to Ukraine.

Markje, I am sure he was bricking it, but most of  us know that killing Yanu' would have been counter-productive - he would have faced trial.

4) So list some blunders. He made only 1 , rejecting the EU without explaining himself. Had he done so, I seriously doubt this mess would have started.

Markje, his list of blunders / crimes is long. But this mess is not down to him alone. I even believe he would have gone the EU/IMF route but for pressure from the Kremlin in August '13 , that resulted in his 'flip-flop' and protests.

5) People in Odessa might spit on his name, but they burn the (pro-russian) opposition alive, so no respect for them here.

Markje, what happened in Odessa was a tragedy and I doubt we'll ever know the guilty parties - the sad thing is we don't hear of the heroes who risked their lives to save the victims.

As ever, a few thugs normally do the bidding for those far removed - who seek de-stabilisation and polarisation
I have never claimed to be a Blue Beret

Spurious claims about 'seeing action' with the Blue Berets are debunked >here<

Here is my Russophobia/Kremlinphobia topic