The World's #1 Russian, Ukrainian & Eastern European Discussion & Information Forum - RUA!

This Is the Premier Discussion Forum on the Net for Information and Discussion about Russia, Ukraine, Eastern Europe and the Former Soviet Union. Discuss Culture, Politics, Travelling, Language, International Relationships and More. Chat with Travellers, Locals, Residents and Expats. Ask and Answer Questions about Travel, Culture, Relationships, Applying for Visas, Translators, Interpreters, and More. Give Advice, Read Trip Reports, Share Experiences and Make Friends.

Poll

Would You Consider Starting A Marriage Agency In The FSU in 2010?

Yes - Start One From Scratch
3 (16.7%)
Yes - Buy An Existing Agency
1 (5.6%)
Yes - Try To Partner My Newly Aquired Agency With A Successful Existing Agency Located In A Different City
1 (5.6%)
Yes - I'd Invest In Such A Venture As Part Of An Investment Group But With No Direct Management Control Of The Business Operations
0 (0%)
No - It's A Mature Industry Whose Prime Time Has Past
13 (72.2%)

Total Members Voted: 17

Voting closed: February 20, 2010, 11:33:07 AM

Author Topic: Would You Consider Starting A Marriage Agency In The FSU in 2010?  (Read 15758 times)

Offline Manny

• Spouses Country: Russia
  • Trips: 20+
Re: Would You Consider Starting A Marriage Agency In The FSU in 2010?
« Reply #75 on: April 28, 2010, 11:05:15 AM »
I suppose that I revised my original thoughts on the whole idea somewhat.  I would not mind running a dating style site, with low fees, and verifying each person is who they say they are, or even providing some "related services" to help travel arrangements, as well as information for both men and women about online dating in general, but the thought of being anywhere "in between" two peoples communications, or worse, setting up two specific people together, leaves me pretty cold.  I can also see helping with general advice, but believe it is best if only the two people directly involved are playing "matchmaker" with no intervention. 

So you're making "busy work" for your wife that is generally not going to be net profitable?

Its not all about profit. As noted by Wild Orchid, Ladagirl makes pocket money only; what clearly went over her head is why that is the case. It is by design. It would have been the easiest thing in the world to launch an affiliate site and run a third party data base of women and make a percentage from men writing to agency translators purporting to be women.

There were several facets to the reason the site was created. One was to hook up a couple of her pals if possible - that has happened. There are five marriages/in-country cohabitations achieved to date. Another was to introduce her to the Western business ethic and Western standard customer service. Another was to hone her international English by exposing her to American English. Translation on the fly is considerably more difficult and ultimately more productive than ESL classes would ever have been. Now she does it seamlessly.

For us, it was designed as an adaptation tool not a money making tool. It has succeeded in all its aims. My input is limited to filtering out whack jobs before they reach her and anything to do with the technical side of the site only.
Trip Reports: Links to my travels in Russia, Estonia, North Korea, South Korea, China and the US are >>here<<

Look what the American media makes some people believe:
Putin often threatens to strike US with nuclear weapons.

Offline B.B.

• Supporting Member
« Reply #76 on: April 28, 2010, 01:15:01 PM »
we did in 2009, but there was too many weirdos contacting us and by respect for women we stopped it.

Oh, I have no doubt that that's the case.  I'm sure that there are plenty of dewds with a second, evil head growing out of their shoulders, and a lower percentage of "normals" in the game.

Bottom line, if a woman is marketing herself to foreign men it is because place is a very significant factor in the mix of variables that goes to make the choice.

Indeed.  They might, for example, have tried the local expat community and found it ablaze with an endless supply of raging narcissism.   :innocent:

B/B
Saving the World, One Clue at a Time
If your religion insults my intelligence, don't be surprised when my intelligence insults your religion.

Offline msmoby

• BANNED
  • BANNED
« Reply #77 on: April 28, 2010, 01:40:53 PM »

Bottom line, if a woman is marketing herself to foreign men it is because place is a very significant factor in the mix of variables that goes to make the choice.

Indeed.  They might, for example, have tried the local expat community and found it ablaze with an endless supply of raging narcissism.   :innocent:

B/B

AH YES.. the well-known thriving ( membership full due to over-subscription )  expat communities in Siberia or Kazakhstan   :chuckle:
I have never claimed to be a Blue Beret

Spurious claims about 'seeing action' with the Blue Berets are debunked >here<

Here is my Russophobia/Kremlinphobia topic

Offline Olga_Mouse

• Trips: Resident
« Reply #78 on: April 28, 2010, 02:51:49 PM »

:nod:
Leaving Russia is not an emigration, rather an evacuation.

Offline JeanClaude

• Spouses Country: Several girls, not all at the same time
« Reply #79 on: April 28, 2010, 03:08:58 PM »

:nod:

Demn, and I thought it was because I was French
a day not trolled is a day not lived

Offline Olga_Mouse

• Trips: Resident
« Reply #80 on: April 28, 2010, 03:13:04 PM »

Demn, and I thought it was because I was French

Damn, it's because I like Mediterranean landscapes - no matter if in France, Italy or Spain  :chuckle:

Oooh, and the red wine...  :coffeeread: and the weather...  :travel: 
Leaving Russia is not an emigration, rather an evacuation.

Offline RG

• Spouses Country: Now the US
« Reply #81 on: April 28, 2010, 03:34:38 PM »
I suppose that I revised my original thoughts on the whole idea somewhat.  I would not mind running a dating style site, with low fees, and verifying each person is who they say they are, or even providing some "related services" to help travel arrangements, as well as information for both men and women about online dating in general, but the thought of being anywhere "in between" two peoples communications, or worse, setting up two specific people together, leaves me pretty cold.  I can also see helping with general advice, but believe it is best if only the two people directly involved are playing "matchmaker" with no intervention. 

So you're making "busy work" for your wife that is generally not going to be net profitable?

Don't you think her time would be better served taking ESL classes and then classes at a local community college that would prepare her to earn a living wage in her new country instead of wasting it playing matchmaker on the internet?  You realize of course the sooner she starts earning money from an employer, the larger her eventual Social Security Benefit will become (assuming the system doesn't collapse)

Where did I say anything about "busy work"?  In her case, she doesn't need ESL, although she can likely teach it. 
It is simple enough to set up a dating style website, but the bigger issue is advertising.  It would also be possible that she wanted to help a few people to meet.  Either would give the possibility to grow from there, to remain as either a "hobby" or as supplemental income, with the possibility to be more.  I would help as much as the purpose, and our time, allowed, within reason - meaning that if it is more "hobby" than a serious potential business, it would be significantly less time.  In our case, neither of us has a significant interest here, but it is always possible that may change at some point.  The original question was would you consider such a thing, and I have considered it in as much as I have described, but that doesn't mean a business plan is in hand, and that I would be "telling her" to go and run it somehow. :)

Regarding work, we would have enough in having her degree evaluated and finishing up an equivalent degree first.  I wouldn't be telling her "hurry up and get a job," and more than I would be telling her what hobbies and interests are OK or not. 

Offline Wild Orchid

« Reply #82 on: April 28, 2010, 04:10:16 PM »
Why is it so important what I think?

It isn't  :chuckle: It IS important you can see that you aren't consistent, and it would be nice if you could offer an opinion and discuss it once challenged ;)

I am consistent. You are brining real people in the conversation. I wasn't talking about Jack, I was talking about "Jacks", people like him. I don't know enough not about Jack not about Manny and you keep asking about them. I wrote detailed answer to you and then I thought... Do I know ALL the facts? I said  something like I think Manny has very successful car business.. What if it is not at the moment? What if Jack has other "real" job? I don't know that. I think person who takes bunches of men to Ukraine few times a year won't be too busy doing something else but it is only "I think"...  So please stop asking me about people, ask me about my opinion if you are so interested.

Offline Brasscasing

• Trips: 1-5
« Reply #83 on: April 29, 2010, 12:50:10 PM »
Alrighty then...Andrew and Moby,

Way too many "stupid" this' and "clueless" thats. There are topics where you both can expound on your mutual admiration for each other away from the public board.  Let's keep this thread on topic. Keep it civil or put each other on ignore.

Thank you both for your cooperation in this matter. :cop:

Brass
“I am a Canadian, free to speak without fear, free to worship in my own way, free to stand for what I think right, free to oppose what I believe wrong, or free to choose those who shall govern my country. This heritage of freedom I pledge to uphold for myself and all mankind."  ~ John Diefenbaker

P.S....Unless you happen to live in Quebec and are subject to the Quebec Charter Of Values, of course.

Offline Voyager

• Meмber
« Reply #84 on: April 30, 2010, 10:02:49 AM »
Alrighty then...Andrew and Moby,

There are topics where you both can expound on your mutual admiration for each other away from the public board.  Let's keep this thread on topic.

Thank you both for your cooperation in this matter. :cop:

Brass

Indeed, we seem to have wandered way off topic, so the off-topic banter has been moved to the off-topic section, here

Offline msmoby

• BANNED
  • BANNED
« Reply #85 on: April 30, 2010, 10:12:36 AM »
 Voyager.. check your link, please  ! [edit.. it's in the middle of another thread.. is that what you intended? ]
I have never claimed to be a Blue Beret

Spurious claims about 'seeing action' with the Blue Berets are debunked >here<

Here is my Russophobia/Kremlinphobia topic

Offline Tim1970

« Reply #86 on: July 19, 2010, 04:54:05 AM »
Well from what I've heard quite a lot of marriage agencies that were 'established' and known in Russia and Ukraine have gone out of business. It would not be a good time to start a new marriage agency in the FSU right now but to join up with one that is already running (to go in to partnership with an existing agency) may be a good idea! If you're thinking of relocating to the FSU that is!!