The World's #1 Russian, Ukrainian & Eastern European Discussion & Information Forum - RUA!

This Is the Premier Discussion Forum on the Net for Information and Discussion about Russia, Ukraine, Eastern Europe and the Former Soviet Union. Discuss Culture, Politics, Travelling, Language, International Relationships and More. Chat with Travellers, Locals, Residents and Expats. Ask and Answer Questions about Travel, Culture, Relationships, Applying for Visas, Translators, Interpreters, and More. Give Advice, Read Trip Reports, Share Experiences and Make Friends.

Author Topic: Can Russian Women Cook? Is "Tasty Dishes" a Myth?  (Read 12029 times)

Offline jb

• I was anti-obama before it was cool
Can Russian Women Cook? Is "Tasty Dishes" a Myth?
« on: September 06, 2009, 11:02:21 AM »
Saying that Russian or Ukrainian women can make "tasty" dishes is a myth.  Most RW/UW are terrible cooks.  Anything more complicated than boiled potatoes or chopped salad is usually beyond their capability.   Russian foods are very bland and are not too tasty,,, unless you grew up on dried, salted fish,  and think a single fresh tomato is absolute heaven.

If you want a woman who can cook, (internationally speaking), go for the French woman.  Better yet,,, go for the corn-fed Midwestern American girl from Kansas.  She will feed you much better than any RW/UW.

Some of you guys have the most absolute wrong priorities.
I was anti-obama before it was cool

Offline Eduard

• Commercial member
    • realrussianmatch.com
  • Spouses Country: Russia
  • Trips: 20+
Re: Can Russian Women Cook? Is "Tasty Dishes" a Myth?
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2009, 11:21:41 AM »
Saying that Russian or Ukrainian women can make "tasty" dishes is a myth.  Most RW/UW are terrible cooks.  Anything more complicated than boiled potatoes or chopped salad is usually beyond their capability.   Russian foods are very bland and are not too tasty,,, unless you grew up on dried, salted fish,  and think a single fresh tomato is absolute heaven.

If you want a woman who can cook, (internationally speaking), go for the French woman.  Better yet,,, go for the corn-fed Midwestern American girl from Kansas.  She will feed you much better than any RW/UW.

Since you are so keen on French cuisine, you might want to know that Russian/Ukrainian cuisine (they are very similar) was greatly influenced by the French and incorporates many of the same/similar food preparation technics and recepies. I enjoy different types of foods - Italian, French, Japanese, Chinese, but I would definitely say that Russian and Ukrainian cuisine is right up there with the best and the tastiest in the world.

Offline fireeater

• Trips: None Yet
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2009, 11:56:00 AM »
So from this exchange a man should not lose his own culinary skills, just in case he finds one,who does not have that ability to make magic in the kitchen, along with other mythical magical talents.  :chuckle:

Now one of my neighbour"s wives, told me her husband (who work fulltime and she did not) was a much better cook then herself. But he seemed very happy and content  anyways, and never complained.  :innocent:

Offline Eduard

• Commercial member
    • realrussianmatch.com
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2009, 12:05:32 PM »
I've travelled the world, been to many countries and some of the tastiest meals I've had were HOMEMADE Ukrainian, Russian and Moldovan (forget restaurant food there).

Offline Manny

« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2009, 12:42:01 PM »
I have just cleaned this thread up a little. I had no idea it may be controversial.

This will be a great topic - guys, keep it friendly please.  :cop:
please tell me where I'm being / have been 'dishonest'? 
Yes, he said that.........

Offline Eduard

• Commercial member
    • realrussianmatch.com
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2009, 12:55:24 PM »
Saying that Russian or Ukrainian women can make "tasty" dishes is a myth.  Most RW/UW are terrible cooks.  Anything more complicated than boiled potatoes or chopped salad is usually beyond their capability.   Russian foods are very bland and are not too tasty,,, unless you grew up on dried, salted fish,  and think a single fresh tomato is absolute heaven.

If you want a woman who can cook, (internationally speaking), go for the French woman.  Better yet,,, go for the corn-fed Midwestern American girl from Kansas.  She will feed you much better than any RW/UW.

any facts to back up this statement? This is an absolute statement that leaves no room for grey - strictly black and white. Actually very insulting IMO. What evidence do you have that backs up what you are proposing here, JB?

And by the way, I was married to a "corn-fed" midwestern girl for 15 years and her cooking wasn't even close to the way my RW wife cooks! :chuckle:

Offline sparky114

« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2009, 01:02:30 PM »
Well i have no complaints about my Russian lady's cooking :party0011:

Nor has most of the road we live in they all have tried the cooking and love it :party0011:

Perhaps you picked the one can not cook ???

Any way does this have to be a pre requisite to marrying the woman you love, and lets face it you surely would have found this out before you walk hand in hand to marriage? :scared0005:
Today is only one day in a life of happiness

Mark

Offline Manny

« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2009, 01:37:26 PM »
Well i have no complaints about my Russian lady's cooking :party0011:

I am in that camp too. My wife has taken what she knew about Russian cooking (and a hint of Asiatic cooking because she was from central Russia) and blended it with European cooking and makes some super stuff!  :king:

We seldom go to restaurants any more. I can honestly say that what my wife can create far surpasses anything I can pay $100-$200 for in a restaurant.

We took the great aspects of Russian food like great marinades, shashlik, black bread, kapusta and other stuff we like and ditched the holodets, pelmeyni and other high-fat yukky stuff.

The best food I eat today is the food I eat at home - without exception. Can Russian women cook when they arrive? Yes, they know 365 imaginative things to do to a potato or an aubergine (egg plant), how to make something dubious from meat of indeterminable origin and how to make a meal from ingredients costing $1. But give them a Western supermarket, some imagination and a free hand (with forewarning of what you like best), and most women will learn pretty quick how to make some very yummy stuff.

I have yet to meet (or speak to) a British guy who is unhappy with what comes out of the kitchen.
please tell me where I'm being / have been 'dishonest'? 
Yes, he said that.........

Offline mendeleyev

« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2009, 01:43:27 PM »
If made to choose only one style of food, I'd gladly take Russian/Ukrainian. Not only is the influence from the French, but also from the Greeks and the Asians. One could be very happy.

My MIL is a great cook! Mrs Mendeleyeva is a very good cook--better than most American wives. While likely not as accomplished as our friend 2TallBill, I'm no slouch in the kitchen either.

The topic reminds me of a joke told by a Brit who owns several successful "fine dining' restaurants in Southern California.

In a true International Restaurant:

- The Greeks do the salads
- The French and Italians do the entrees
- The Asians cook the seafood
- The Irish run the bar
- The French prepare the desserts
- The Germans bake the bread and manage administrative details
- The Russians run the valet parking
- The Brits sit outside and feed the pigeons

Wait, what about the Americans?

Silly, fool, what Americans? This is fine dining--not McDonalds!

Offline 2tallbill

• Trips: 10-20
« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2009, 01:51:09 PM »
I am a fairly good cook and I think it's a little bit like singing some
can carry a tune and some can't. Knowing what to add after tasting
something is a skill that many people lack.

The next thing is effort and attention. If you don't put in an effort and
pay attention then you will produce a boring crap casserole note the
smoke detector is NOT a timer to tell you when the food is done.

FSUW are not for entry level daters. FSUW don't do vague FSUW like a man of action so be a man of action  If you find a promising girl, get your butt on a plane. There are a hundred ways to be successful and a thousand ways to f#ck it up
Kiss the girl, don't ask her first.
Get an apartment not a hotel. DON'T recycle girls

Offline jb

« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2009, 05:08:32 PM »
Let's just say, the Russian menu is very limited..

If you do not like borscht, you are in trouble.   Russian cooks cannot turn out anything not smothered in sour cream, this does not mean it's tasty.  Russian cooks have not yet discovered herbs and spices beyond salt and sugar.  A Russian pie will always look and taste like a flat, dry, grainy cake.  Russian pancakes need help.  Salted fish will always taste like salted fish, (there is just no help for that).

I did not marry my wife for her culinary talent.

Offline lindochka

• это что такое?
« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2009, 06:27:11 PM »
I think that one important factor to consider here is that there is a difference between what is Soviet and what is Russian, Ukrainian, Belarusian, etcetera. This difference applies to many things, cooking being only one of them.

I guess my situation is unique, since I know how to make a great many Russian/Belarusian dishes that my Belarusian-born relatives don't know. Part of this is no doubt due to the fact that the RW who were my first cooking teachers (my mother and grandmothers) never lived in the USSR, which didn't exist at the time my immigrant ancestors left to make new lives in the West. I also began to cook classical Eastern European cuisine at a pretty early age, teaching myself stuff from cookbooks. I make a mean kulibiaka but you won't find many modern-day Eastern European cooks who are familiar with it. Of course my style, like my mother's, is a fusion of down-home Eastern European and other influences.

At Easter dinner this year I wowed everyone with syrnoya paskha,  the traditional molded Easter dessert made from tvorog and other foods prohibited during the extremely strict Lenten fast, and served only once a year. My cousins said they had never eaten it and at first thought this must not be a Belarusian dish, but I told them my mother had said my grandmother (born in the Nesvizh region of Minskaya Oblast) had made it.

I started to list the ingredients and one cousin suddenly sat up and said, "Wait! Does it have raisins?" I said it could but mine didn't, as the version I make is based on the recipe brought to the US by a lady born in Odessa who was the mother of a dear friend of mine, and she didn't use them. It turns out that when my cousin asked this it was because as we were talking he remembered his grandmother (born in 1897 and in her 50s when my cousin was small) making something similar when he was a child. Another cousin, who was visiting from London (where she's lived for the past fifteen years), had read about syrnoya paskha in a book on classical Russian cuisine from before the Civil War/Revolution and was very excited at the thought of tasting it.

JB's descriptions of dishes I know and love saddens me. I'm not a fan of salted fish (or salo for that matter) but a properly prepared pirog, while not a Western-style pie, does not "look and taste like a flat, dry, grainy cake." And I completely disagree with the thought that "Russian cooks have not yet discovered herbs and spices beyond salt and sugar." I live in a small country town in Belarus -- when I went to the local rynok and stopped at my favorite spice vendor, I realized I'd forgotten to look up and jot down the Russian names for some of the herbs and spices I wanted. I thought perhaps if I looked at some packets I'd recognize what I wanted from the pictures but my vendor just smiled and asked me what I wanted to make. When I said I needed the kinds of seasonings used in Greek food, she produced six different spices on the spot, all of which were on my shopping list (in English). Trust me, she is not stocking cumin just for me!

Perhaps Mrs. JB is simply not a great cook? Culinary skills aren't everything and from what JB has posted about her, both here and elsewhere, it seems she has many other fine qualities.

Life is so short we must move very slowly.

Offline skiingandrunning

• Meмber
« Reply #12 on: September 06, 2009, 07:03:05 PM »
Saying that Russian or Ukrainian women can make "tasty" dishes is a myth.

JB, I hope you do not take my comment wrong as it's the internet and not knowing anything about the other people on the forum, my imagination can get the best of me so the first thing I thought of when I read the above comment was, "Sounds like JB just had a pretty bad meal"  ;D

Anyways, based on the ladies I have dated, some would have a hard time boiling water and you best change the topic when they ask if the meal was tasty.  Then I have dated some who could really make a nice meal as I was absolutely shocked at how good the meals were (sometimes it's not the ones you expect).  So I would say, Russia/Ukraine is probably no different than many parts of the world where some can cook and others can't.  Now is Russian food tasty, well that's another question, but I grew-up in a German family and Russian/Ukrainian is definitely any upgrade. 

Offline Eduard

• Commercial member
    • realrussianmatch.com
« Reply #13 on: September 06, 2009, 07:06:49 PM »
JB, pass this site onto your wife: http://gotovim.ru
she will find thousands of different recipes for different soups and anything else you couldn't even dream of.
You are entitled to your opinion although seems like it is based on very limited experience, but to say that "Russian/Ukrainian women can't cook" and that all Russian/Ukrainian food is crap is just wrong. Of all the RW and UW I knew since the time I was born (and I mean my grandmas, mom, other relatives and friends and off course later in life girlfriends, wives, MILs, etc. etc.) I only know one who's cooking I don't like...
Russian/Ukrainian cuisine is awesome with influences from France, Germany and Asia. There is great variety of dishes of any kind, literally thousands (just check out the site I provided the link to to see for yourself!)
I would add to this that I rarely enjoy a meal at a restaurant in Russia and Ukraine, nothing like good home cooked meals there.

Offline Eduard

• Commercial member
    • realrussianmatch.com
« Reply #14 on: September 06, 2009, 07:26:45 PM »
JB, you stated thaT  there is only one kind of soup that Russians make, here is a little eye opener for you.
I did a search for "soup" on the site I gave you and it found over 12,000 recepies! That's one or two more than one? No?  :chuckle:
Суп-крем, 54 рецепта / Готовим.РУ ____cream soups - 54 recepies

http://www.gotovim.ru/recepts/soups/krem/

Грибные супы, 99 рецептов / Готовим.РУ ___mushroom soups - 99 recepies

http://www.gotovim.ru/recepts/soups/mushroom/

Супы-пюре, 122 рецепта / Готовим.РУ ____Pureed soup - 122 recepies

http://www.gotovim.ru/recepts/soups/pyre/

Рыбные супы, 89 рецептов / Готовим.РУ  fish (sea food) soups - 89 recepies

http://www.gotovim.ru/recepts/soups/fish/

Супы из баранины, 50 рецептов / Готовим.РУ soups with lamb meat - 50 recepies

http://www.gotovim.ru/recepts/soups/meat/baranina.shtml

Куриный суп, 85 рецептов / Готовим.РУ Chicken soup - 85 recepies...shall I go on????

http://www.gotovim.ru/recepts/soups/pticy/kuriza.shtml

Сырные супы, 77 рецептов / Готовим.РУ

http://www.gotovim.ru/recepts/soups/cheese/

Томатные супы, 61 рецепт / Готовим.РУ

http://www.gotovim.ru/recepts/soups/tomato/

Холодные супы, 47 рецептов / Готовим.РУ

http://www.gotovim.ru/recepts/soups/okrochka/

Овощные супы, 194 рецепта / Готовим.РУ

http://www.gotovim.ru/recepts/soups/cabbage/

Суп с фрикадельками. Фото-рецепт / Готовим.РУ

http://www.gotovim.ru/recepts/sbs/soupfrik.shtml

Овощной суп с крапивой. Фото-рецепт / Готовим.РУ

http://www.gotovim.ru/recepts/sbs/supkrapiva.shtml

Гороховые супы, 89 рецептов / Готовим.РУ

http://www.gotovim.ru/recepts/soups/goroh/

Грибной суп с макаронами. Фото-рецепт / Готовим.РУ

http://www.gotovim.ru/recepts/sbs/supgribn.shtml

Пивные супы, 29 рецептов / Готовим.РУ

http://www.gotovim.ru/recepts/soups/pivo/

Offline lindochka

• это что такое?
« Reply #15 on: September 06, 2009, 07:31:52 PM »
Eduard, I love gotovim.ru! It's one of my favorite food/cooking sites!

Offline Eduard

• Commercial member
    • realrussianmatch.com
« Reply #16 on: September 06, 2009, 07:34:54 PM »
Linda, my wife also gets a lot of good recepies off of Russian-fiance.com forum/site

Offline lindochka

• это что такое?
« Reply #17 on: September 06, 2009, 07:40:46 PM »
Thanks, I'll have to check that one out too!

Offline MND

• Trips: 10-20
« Reply #18 on: September 06, 2009, 07:59:12 PM »

Hmmmm My wife is a bloody great cook she cooks many Ukrainian dishes now influenced by Australian cooking.

Offline Link

« Reply #19 on: September 06, 2009, 08:02:56 PM »
Linda, my wife also gets a lot of good recepies off of Russian-fiance.com forum/site

A couple of Russian here use this site to get recepies:

http://gotovim-doma.ru/

Offline Wild Orchid

« Reply #20 on: September 06, 2009, 09:20:45 PM »
Russian women can cook, no doubts about that. Women in my family (not me unfortunately) make wonderful pirogi, with fresh fish, not salted. My father used to be a very keen fisherman and we had plenty fresh fish in my house.  My mom and my aunties make the best panklets (not pancakes) ever. In all my time in Au I've never seen anyone making pancakes from scratch, everyone is using premixed bottles from supermarkets.

I wouldn't put RW and UW in one sentence. I think UW cook better, they live in warmer climate, they have access to more fresh produce, and can grow more fruits and veggies over there. But even my grandma from Urals was growing her own chili, I'm not taking about basil, dill and parsley, everyone has at least them. My mom grows few varieties of salad. I think Western type of salad with few leaves of ice-burg and  slices of tomato is the most boring salad you can come across.

Tasty is what you used to eat. Many people don't like to try new things and don't find them tasty. Russian complain about Australian food as much as JB complains about Russian. It is in human nature to dislike unusual.

Offline hemingway

« Reply #21 on: September 06, 2009, 09:46:35 PM »
Tasty is what you used to eat. Many people don't like to try new things and don't find them tasty. Russian complain about Australian food as much as JB complains about Russian. It is in human nature to dislike unusual.
Gordon Ramsay had that show where he and a team would serve several courses to people who weren't really used to fine dining. Ramsay would get frustrated and tell them they had a bland palate and there wasn't anything he could do about that. So, it could be that someone is making tasty food and the person eating it has the problem. Some people get used to Burger King.

I have The Art of Russian Cuisine by Anne Volokh. Someone here probably knows the origin of that name, Volokh. It was published in 1983. I think used copies are still available.

Offline Eduard

• Commercial member
    • realrussianmatch.com
« Reply #22 on: September 06, 2009, 10:44:12 PM »
Most RW/UW are terrible cooks.  Anything more complicated than boiled potatoes or chopped salad is usually beyond their capability.  
One thing is talking about disliking food, another one posting insults like this. Beyond their capability???
I think an apology is in order...

Offline sparky114

« Reply #23 on: September 07, 2009, 12:12:50 AM »
Most RW/UW are terrible cooks.  Anything more complicated than boiled potatoes or chopped salad is usually beyond their capability.  
One thing is talking about disliking food, another one posting insults like this. Beyond their capability???
I think an apology is in order...

Ed,

Don't be so sensitive, If JB had not posted it in such a way then there would not have been half the posts or comments it has attracted :whistle:

let alone all the recipes that have been chucked in here.  :nod:

Maybe his Wife cooks better dishes from other regions or maybe JB does the cooking in the house, does it really matter. :P

sensationalism is the art of a journalist, same goes for these boards  :coffeeread:
Today is only one day in a life of happiness

Mark

Offline jb

« Reply #24 on: September 07, 2009, 12:24:33 AM »
Time does funny things to memories, but some things are remembered with great clarity.  

When living in Siberia we existed on kasha and tea, (no coffee), canned pickled cod fish livers, salted and sun dried octopus and squid, smoked salmon, pickled herrine marinated in smetana, bread (made, I swear, from sawdust) the occasional raindeer, if the camp hunter got lucky, provided a little fresh meat for stew.  We made fresh water by melting snow,,, and generally washed it all down with generous amounts of locally made vodka.  I remember becoming lightheaded and almost feinting at the sight and smell of a NY strip steak sizzling on the grill when I returned to Texas after two months in Siberia.

After being debriefed at the end of the mission I told the company man we needed to help the Russians find something to eat first, the oil and gas would still be there.   Trying to work in a semi-arctic environment on an average diet of 1,000 calories a day was not a smart plan.   Every man on the team lost a lot of weight.   The second trip in everyone had massive baggage over weight because of all the foods we were importing, a favorite being peanut butter.  

Registration