The World's #1 Russian, Ukrainian & Eastern European Discussion & Information Forum - RUA!

This Is the Premier Discussion Forum on the Net for Information and Discussion about Russia, Ukraine, Eastern Europe and the Former Soviet Union. Discuss Culture, Politics, Travelling, Language, International Relationships and More. Chat with Travellers, Locals, Residents and Expats. Ask and Answer Questions about Travel, Culture, Relationships, Applying for Visas, Translators, Interpreters, and More. Give Advice, Read Trip Reports, Share Experiences and Make Friends.

Author Topic: Western-Ukrainian Romance: A travel guide view  (Read 1665 times)

Offline FSU explorer

Western-Ukrainian Romance: A travel guide view
« on: September 01, 2009, 05:41:01 AM »
I have recently purchased  The Bradt Guide: Ukraine, by Andrew Evans.  Page 68 has an info box on Dating/Marriage. There is a section in which he states:

It is not for me to question how any two people expect to have a meaningful marriage when they don't even speak the same language, but if this is your intent, there are some things you should know:

"Obviously, a Western-Ukrainian romance has much more to do with economic disparity than any mystical connection between Western men and Ukrainian women, as is advertised."

"Ukrainian women may be very beautiful, but they do not make good souvenirs.  Many a newly wed husband has been divorced once his wife has  her new passport."

"Today, Ukrainian women make up a significant majority of (white) prostitutes in European capitals, most of whom are victims of human trafficking.  Traveling to Ukraine in pursuit of women is of the same genre."

I would be interested in hearing your comments.
"Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, no matter if I said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense."  The Buddha

Offline Vinnvinny

• Trips: 20+
Re: Western-Ukrainian Romance: A travel guide view
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2009, 05:53:16 AM »
"Obviously, a Western-Ukrainian romance has much more to do with economic disparity than any mystical connection between Western men and Ukrainian women, as is advertised."
.... obviously.

"Ukrainian women may be very beautiful, but they do not make good souvenirs.  Many a newly wed husband has been divorced once his wife has  her new passport."
Many? 60%, 70%, 80%, 90%? What's his source?

"Today, Ukrainian women make up a significant majority of (white) prostitutes in European capitals"
I disagree

".....  most of whom are victims of human trafficking."
I disagree

"Traveling to Ukraine in pursuit of women is of the same genre."
I disagree

Offline alenika

« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2009, 09:19:39 AM »
"Ukrainian women may be very beautiful, but they do not make good souvenirs."
I like this saying a lot. Going to save to quote elsewhere  :knit:
I close eyes to see better

Offline Manny

• Spouses Country: Russia
  • Trips: 20+
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2009, 09:40:50 AM »
"Today, Ukrainian women make up a significant majority of (white) prostitutes in European capitals, most of whom are victims of human trafficking. 

Ukrainian women do account for a lot of the prostitution in European capitals, but I suspect most arrive under their own steam. Here in Estonia, they are accosting men on the streets again. They get some kind of short-term 2 week visa to the Baltic's I am told.

There have been several articles recently in City Paper, The Baltic Times and other papers here about the "problem" of Ukrainian prostitutes in the Baltics. Prostitution is not illegal here (pimping is) so it is a trouble free destination for them that is ripe with tourists. (Estonia remains one of the last outposts in Europe that can be regarded as the free world in many respects; baggy-breasted, EU supporting, flip flop feminists are fighting to change this of course.)

Offline jb

• I was anti-obama before it was cool
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2009, 11:37:54 AM »
Ukrainian women do account for a lot of the prostitution in European capitals

So do Russians.  I've even stumbled up on more than a few French, Italian, Dutch, German, and (God forbid) an Englishwomen or two willing to make a few quid in bed with a stranger.

Prostitution in not a problem of nationality, it is a problem of economics, education, exploitation, and greed.  It is the oldest profession.   10,000 years ago cavewomen were selling pussy to the caveman for a buffalo skin.   Need I say more?
I was anti-obama before it was cool