The World's #1 Russian, Ukrainian & Eastern European Discussion & Information Forum - RUA!

This Is the Premier Discussion Forum on the Net for Information and Discussion about Russia, Ukraine, Eastern Europe and the Former Soviet Union. Discuss Culture, Politics, Travelling, Language, International Relationships and More. Chat with Travellers, Locals, Residents and Expats. Ask and Answer Questions about Travel, Culture, Relationships, Applying for Visas, Translators, Interpreters, and More. Give Advice, Read Trip Reports, Share Experiences and Make Friends.

Poll

Did you use a lawyer for US K-1 process and did you have complications?

Used lawyer, no complications in K-1 process
0 (0%)
Used lawyer, had complications in K-1 process
1 (12.5%)
No lawyer, no complications in K-1 process
7 (87.5%)
No lawyer, had complications in K-1 process
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 8

Author Topic: Did you use a lawyer for US K-1 process and did you have complications?  (Read 2936 times)

Offline hemingway

I have read where some here have done their own visa paperwork, but I was wondering what the percentages were. Thanks for participating. Any additional input is appreciated. Thanks.

Offline BBQ

Re: Did you use a lawyer for US K-1 process and did you have complications?
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2009, 05:51:36 PM »
No problems, just had a hard time getting some of the paperwork which I knew I needed.  If you need help let me know.  I recently finished helping a guy submit a K-1 so it is fresh in my mind.
Married 5 Jul 08

Offline hemingway

« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2009, 06:31:39 AM »
No problems, just had a hard time getting some of the paperwork which I knew I needed.  If you need help let me know.  I recently finished helping a guy submit a K-1 so it is fresh in my mind.
Thanks. I don't think there are many married American guys here. I see a lot from Canada and UK. The US visa and immigration process is an international embarrassment.  

Offline Manny

• Spouses Country: Russia
  • Trips: 20+
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2009, 10:19:29 AM »
There are quite a few married American guys here actually. The silence on this topic is quite surprising actually.  :coffeeread:

Offline Turboguy

« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2009, 02:33:04 PM »
I have done 2 K-1's without a lawyer. Using a lawyer is great if you are not in a hurry, like to waste money and find problems add excitement to your life and want more.
I had no problems relating to the application.
Using a lawyer adds a link to the chain. Instead of sending things in you send them to tour lawyer where they sit on his desk until the secretary he hired the day before gets around to filling out the forms. Sometimes she will even remember to include most of the things that must go. If you want to hear bad lawyer stories talk to Ralph kramden.

There is a great guide to the K-1 process here (I say great only because I wrote it). I would also highly recommend www.visajourney.com

Offline hemingway

« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2009, 03:57:54 PM »
Thanks, Turboguy.

Offline Turboguy

« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2009, 06:23:25 PM »
You are welcome. When I was doing mine I hung out at visa journey a lot and very few people doing their own had any trouble. It's not hard at all.

Offline apple47

• Life seldom fits the boxes we create for it.
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2009, 01:58:47 AM »
   As Turboguy has said,,,

I have done 2 K-1's without a lawyer. Using a lawyer is great if you are not in a hurry, like to waste money and find problems add excitement to your life and want more.
Using a lawyer adds a link to the chain. Instead of sending things in you send them to tour lawyer where they sit on his desk until the secretary he hired the day before gets around to filling out the forms. Sometimes she will even remember to include most of the things that must go. If you want to hear bad lawyer stories talk to Ralph kramden.

There is a great guide to the K-1 process here (I say great only because I wrote it). I would also highly recommend www.visajourney.com

Skip the lawyer   ,unless you have circumstances that could require them.   Normal situations don't require a lawyer ,,the paperwork isn't hard to do..   With a lawyer you will have to provide all the information needed to fill the forms anyway.   Once you have all this information  ,the only thing left to do is fill in the forms and send them.   No need to hire a lawyer for this process as the instructions and help from the forum and visajourney will get you through the process with little to no problem.

Some justify using a lawyer because they are afraid they will make a mistake in filling out the forms.   This isn't a reasonable justification,because,with a lawyer there will be much time waiting around for this lawyer to finish the paperwork. You can learn the whole process,collect the documentation and fill in the forms ,and ,check them so many times you'll go cross eyed.  All  in much,much less time than using a lawyer, with the added benefit of knowing what is going on at all times.

I started out with a lawyer,but after missing my expected date to file the forms by 3 months and then not being able to contact the lawyer for 2 weeks,wouldn't answer his voice mail and couldn't get answers on the web sight ,I got my materials back and did it myself.    But, I changed from the K1 to a DCF to try and maintain my time line.

I had my wife and 2 step-daughters to bring here.  Everything worked out just fine.
  The DCF ,AOS and the citizenship were all done without a lawyer and there were no RFI's or RFE's or whatever they call those requests for information.

One thing I did do was to have my wife find an agent in her city to handle her side of the requirements.   Though the FSU was a centralized gov't,they seem to have you run all over hell to get any thing done.   The agent handled all this for her,she only had to bring requested papers to his office when needed.    He handled the certified translations ,the police reports,my visa and OVIR registration,all wedding requirements and other things I don't remember.  All my wife needed to do was provide the paper s requested, get the girls school records,get the doctor exam and marry me .
                            He also had her luggage carried down from her 5th floor apt. and transported her and the girls to the airport.   I don't know exactly what this guy did during Soviet times ,but ,at the airport ,the people at the xray machines got out of his way as he ushered my wife and daughters  and their luggage thru to passport control where someone went to an empty booth and processed my wife and daughters immediately . 
   For $800 it was worth it to me for the piece of mind knowing everything was happening faster than normal and my wife wasn't having to run around being made crazy by the burocrats(sp).

Skip the lawyer

...Larry
All those that haven't gone crazy.....can't be normal

Offline hemingway

« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2009, 05:17:02 AM »
Thank you , Larry. One of the concerns I didn't mention before was making sure the lady was OK and not having difficulties.

Offline FSU explorer

« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2009, 06:41:08 PM »
This is a very interesting thread, for me, since I am about to embark on the k1 process.  I have visited visajourney as suggested and find it a wonderful resource.  I was contemplating using a lawyer, but have opted not to take this route.  It seems that as long as you have no red flags lawyers do not anything to the process but additional cost as stated by other members. 

The only question that I think will be dicey for me is the question on IMBRA, because I met my lady at Elena's Models. Is there a member here that has done a k1 and met his lady at Elena's or a similar site?
"Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, no matter if I said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense."  The Buddha

Offline BBQ

« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2009, 07:45:30 PM »
This is a very interesting thread, for me, since I am about to embark on the k1 process.  I have visited visajourney as suggested and find it a wonderful resource.  I was contemplating using a lawyer, but have opted not to take this route.  It seems that as long as you have no red flags lawyers do not anything to the process but additional cost as stated by other members. 

The only question that I think will be dicey for me is the question on IMBRA, because I met my lady at Elena's Models. Is there a member here that has done a k1 and met his lady at Elena's or a similar site?
Yes and no probelms so don't worry about it.
Married 5 Jul 08

Offline Turboguy

« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2009, 03:58:35 AM »
I met my wife through Elena's as well.   You just need to answer the questions about meeting through an IMB with a yes and give the address of Elena's, no big deal.   In my case it was the second K-1 for both me and my fiancee and I had no problems with the paperwork.  I also had to do an Imbra waver since there had been less than 2 years since my former k-1, still not hard at all.

We did get into Administrative review and sit in that for 5 months or so but that was happening to a lot of people at that time.   I belive I saw the figure that two hundred thousand people were in it when we were and it had nothing to do with any problems in the paperwork.

Not using a lawyer is a smart move.  

Offline Bruce

« Reply #12 on: October 17, 2009, 02:13:54 PM »
K-1 no problem.    Adjustment of status is another story.    3 years after marriage until two year green card,  no RFE but I think if we had a lawyer for adjustment of status he / she would have had follow-up avenues we do not have and would have pushed it through within a year.   Now we will be putting in for the ten year ourselves because I think that one is an automatic once you have the two year card but probably without a lawyer I pushed back wife's citizen application by a minimum of two years.
SOMETIMES DESPITE ALL OBSTACLES, WITH EFFORT, YOU GET IT RIGHT!

Offline philb

« Reply #13 on: October 18, 2009, 12:26:30 PM »
No K1.  We went the K3/DCF route in 2006.  My wife has a 10yr "green card" and has a citizenship interview scheduled in November.  Never used a lawyer and no problems.

Offline bobt333

• Commercial member
« Reply #14 on: January 09, 2011, 07:48:34 PM »

Turbo - Where can I find this "great guide"?

As for IMBRA, does RussianEuro.com count as a marriage broker? I think I remember reading somewhere that one of the qualifications of a marriage broker is that the man pays the all their fees, whereas RussianEuro.com and UkraineDate.com allows any two members to communicate as long as at least one of them has the paid membership - not necessarily only the man.

Thanks
Bob

Offline Turboguy

« Reply #15 on: January 10, 2011, 04:13:46 AM »
Quote from: bobt333 link=topic=8201.msg191954#msg191954
Turbo - Where can I find this "great guide"?

Bob

It is right here Bob

http://ruadventures.com/forum/index.php/topic,345.0.html

I do also recommend Visa Journey very hightly and they have a section towards the bottom of their site that is devoted to Russia and Ukraine.

Offline dbneeley

• RIP
« Reply #16 on: January 10, 2011, 05:14:07 AM »

Thanks. I don't think there are many married American guys here. I see a lot from Canada and UK. The US visa and immigration process is an international embarrassment. 

Actually, the immigration process where family visas are concerned is far from the worst.

If you are reasonably literate and don't need someone to hold your hand, in most cases there is simply no reason to hire an attorney. The various guides on the subject can be extremely helpful. One man who asked me to look over his K1 started out in a somewhat disorganized fashion, and simply didn't carefully check all the information blocks to be sure they were complete. The supporting documents, too, were somewhat a jumble. Once the form was complete and clear, and the supporting information well organized, he had no trouble at all.

When you submit everything required, it is rare for a K1 to be denied.

Of course, I am a great fan of marriage in the lady's city and going the K3/I130 route--but after all, that is not what you inquired about.

To me, the "international embarrassment" regarding immigration visas is more the fact of how many men are so nearly illiterate and have trouble following instructions.

David

Offline RG

• Spouses Country: Now the US
« Reply #17 on: January 10, 2011, 11:46:15 AM »
I'm from the US.  No lawyer, self-filed, no problems.
The VisaJourney guide is decent, but does still leave some questions open.  We erred on the side of caution, and had virtually everything translated, certified translations, apostiled where possible, with multiple copies.  As it was, we found a few errors in what we received back (not from USCIS, but agencies in her country), which we corrected with some annoyance. 
Judging from the size of others packages on the day of her interview (we attended together), we very likely provided much more than necessary, but got very positive comments by the interviewer.  Note - this is after the K1 submission, but don't "forget" about the Embassy interview, this can cause problems just as easily as RFEs from USCIS.

I would suggest reading the K1 guide on VJ, printing it out, then just asking questions as they arise.  Do what you can to find the packet 3/4 (country depending) official contents well before she receives it, and get those papers ready as well.

In the majority of cases where I've seen lawyers mentioned, it was far more often IMO to hear about the lawyer delaying the process, or even not completing the package properly, versus any mention of "I feel confident the lawyer has improved and/or expedited the process."  Use one if you'd like, but I myself have yet to see any evidence of value for your money in any normal application/case.

Online shakespear

• Supporting Member
« Reply #18 on: January 10, 2011, 12:03:37 PM »
In the majority of cases where I've seen lawyers mentioned, it was far more often IMO to hear about the lawyer delaying the process, or even not completing the package properly, versus any mention of "I feel confident the lawyer has improved and/or expedited the process."  Use one if you'd like, but I myself have yet to see any evidence of value for your money in any normal application/case. 

I agree. 

The only time you would need a lawyer is if there was a complex adjustment of status issue involved.  For example if she was already here in the USA on an expired tourist visa and you got married and wanted to adjust status without her leaving the country. 

Just read the instructions for each of the forms and do EXACTLY what they tell you to.  It's pretty simple.  Don't waste time and effort by putting the paperwork in binders, providing documention that isn't asked for and/or organizing the documents with tabs or color keys within the document package.  It will just end up in the garbage.  If you want to help. make sure all paperwork is two-hole punched on the top.   
"If you obey all the rules, you miss all the fun" - Katharine Hepburn

Registration