The World's #1 Russian, Ukrainian & Eastern European Discussion & Information Forum - RUA!

This Is the Premier Discussion Forum on the Net for Information and Discussion about Russia, Ukraine, Eastern Europe and the Former Soviet Union. Discuss Culture, Politics, Travelling, Language, International Relationships and More. Chat with Travellers, Locals, Residents and Expats. Ask and Answer Questions about Travel, Culture, Relationships, Applying for Visas, Translators, Interpreters, and More. Give Advice, Read Trip Reports, Share Experiences and Make Friends.

Author Topic: Dating Polish Women - Like Russian Women or Not?  (Read 6591 times)

Offline Manny

• Spouses Country: Russia
  • Trips: 20+
Dating Polish Women - Like Russian Women or Not?
« on: May 21, 2009, 01:21:15 PM »
Polish women: Something seldom discussed here, but I think worthy of a topic. Poland is a place I travel through several times a year - twice this last month in fact - and I am sure Poles may beg to differ, but the place has that wonderful "Wild West" feel that much of the FSU has. As I pass over the border from Germany, it feels like the "free world" starts here! I love it there!

You can get by with Russian language in Poland, especially with older people. Most notably though, you can see several discernible ethnic groups there. Silesians I gather one group are called, but they look like regular Slavs to me. This makes for some pretty smokin' hot women.

In the UK we are not short of Poles. Some say up to 2 million (2.5% of our population) were in England (the official figure was 200k of course), and many are now heading back to Poland as the £ weakened and the recession hit. This means there are many Polish women here, but they seldom take much interest in local guys in my observation. I wonder why?

Despite them comprising 1-2% of our population, you very seldom see an English guy with a Polish girl.

I read that the largest number of Poles outside of Poland can be found in the United States. Perhaps the American folks here can tell us, of recent (un-Americanized) immigrants, do Polish girls date American guys there? Or do they mostly stick to Polish guys as they do here?

When in Poland, the women are friendly and approachable, just as Russian women are. There seem to be many Polish dating sites out there, but seldom do you hear much about them [Polish women] in a relationship context. From what I have seen, if you actually were in Poland, getting to know women would be no harder than in any FSU place.

A while ago I was in search of a Polish translator for something I was doing. I sought out a "Polish people abroad" type forum, joined up and duly found a translator. Whilst reading there, I found a few topics created by foreign guys who had drifted in. These were guys who had seen Polish girls, thought them attractive, and joined up with the intention of learning something and being pointed in the right direction.

They all came down on each of these guys like a ton of bricks, accusing them of being a wannabe sex tourists, seeking a "yes woman" from a poorer country, demanding how they developed the opinion that Polish girls were "traditional" etc. (One even suggested a guy go to Ukraine instead -  and not in a nice way!)  :o

Poland is bordered by the Czech Republic and Slovakia to the south; Ukraine, Belarus and Lithuania to the east; and Kaliningrad (which is Russia), to the north. How different can they be to Russian and Ukrainian women?

Any thoughts on Polish women? Anyone dated one? Anyone else spent any time in Poland? Anyone been wife hunting there? Any Polish people reading this? Please join the forum and join in the conversation!

please tell me where I'm being / have been 'dishonest'? 
Yes, he said that.........

Offline ECR844

• Searching for the word I will become
  • Trips: Resident
Re: Dating Polish Women - Like Russian Women or Not?
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2009, 03:02:24 PM »
Polish ladies are very similar to FSU ladies in dating generalities. As with any culture and or subset of the FSU they have their quirks and unique qualities. I dated a PW for quite awhile and many after her. She is kind of what started me on this path but I digress. There's large polish expat, and they are generally great folks many of whom speak English better than passably. One of the local FSU stores regularly employs and has Lithuanian, and other FSU ladies here on work visas for the summer. All in all one could do worse and pursuing them is just as worth it as pursuing any other FSUW and maybe more with the easier track in the tourist-visitors visa line. For some that might make it a better logistical choice.

Offline Raspberry

« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2010, 12:20:44 AM »
I'm sure there's somebody in Chicago that can tell us more. The "Windy City" has the largest Polish population outside of Poland. In fact, I went to a Polish disco there once....

Online msmoby

« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2010, 02:20:10 AM »
Polish women: Something seldom discussed here, but I think worthy of a topic. Poland is a place I travel through several times a year - twice this last month in fact - and I am sure Poles may beg to differ, but the place has that wonderful "Wild West" feel that much of the FSU has. As I pass over the border from Germany, it feels like the "free world" starts here! I love it there!

One of THE most important ladies in my life is a Polish lady!

She is now 85 and fought in the Warsaw uprising, and eventually met her Polish husband in Paris near the end of WWII..  they arrived in the UK in1946 with the clothes on their back and holes in their shoes.. but their nation - which Britain entered the war to protect was now a Soviet state... [ hence we actually LOST the war !]

Poles who lived under or chose not to go back don't have overly fond memories of things Russian..:(

You can get by with Russian language in Poland, especially with older people.

A bit like former East Germany - but I won't use it - unless I was desperate - or the folk had grown to like you....

In the UK we are not short of Poles. Some say up to 2 million (2.5% of our population) were in England (the official figure was 200k of course), and many are now heading back to Poland as the £ weakened and the recession hit. This means there are many Polish women here, but they seldom take much interest in local guys in my observation. I wonder why?

As 'we' [ UK]  have population of 60 million 2.5% would be 1.5 million  in the England  UK  .. did you MEAN to exaggerate ?! ;)

The Polish women often come with their Polish guys, but Veta has introduced me to couple UK guy / Polish g/f whom she met via an English class - I don't necessary agree that they remain insulated, nor don't date locals ....

Despite them comprising 1-2% of our population, you very seldom see an English guy with a Polish girl.

NOT the case.. round here...  

I read that the largest number of Poles outside of Poland can be found in the United States. Perhaps the American folks here can tell us, of recent (un-Americanized) immigrants, do Polish girls date American guys there? Or do they mostly stick to Polish guys as they do here?

Most Poles came to the US generations before..just like you and me, Poles should get a Green Card to stay and live/ work !

When in Poland, the women are friendly and approachable, just as Russian women are. There seem to be many Polish dating sites out there, but seldom do you hear much about them [Polish women] in a relationship context. From what I have seen, if you actually were in Poland, getting to know women would be no harder than in any FSU place.

A while ago I was in search of a Polish translator for something I was doing. I sought out a "Polish people abroad" type forum, joined up and duly found a translator. Whilst reading there, I found a few topics created by foreign guys who had drifted in. These were guys who had seen Polish girls, thought them attractive, and joined up with the intention of learning something and being pointed in the right direction.

They all came down on each of these guys like a ton of bricks, accusing them of being a wannabe sex tourists, seeking a "yes woman" from a poorer country, demanding how they developed the opinion that Polish girls were "traditional" etc. (One even suggested a guy go to Ukraine instead -  and not in a nice way!)  :o

Poland is bordered by the Czech Republic and Slovakia to the south; Ukraine, Belarus and Lithuania to the east; and Kaliningrad (which is Russia), to the north. How different can they be to Russian and Ukrainian women?

Depends on their upbringing.. many Poles ( especially older ones) might tell you that many 'Ukrainian girls ARE Polish' - as Stalin gained a HECK of a lot of what was pre-WWII Poland.

Any thoughts on Polish women? Anyone dated one? Anyone else spent any time in Poland? Anyone been wife hunting there? Any Polish people reading this? Please join the forum and join in the conversation!

IMHO: they tend to have longer legs then UK/ Irish gals, work hard, and are smart.. some of 'em [ younger ones ] drink a little too much - like their UK counterparts..

If you were a 'searching' UK guy, I'd go to TK Maxx - a discount clothing fashion outlet -  they seem to shop a lot there  :chuckle:  No worries about Visas as they are EU citizens ...  

Sure.. they are Slavic.. they have a similar cuisine - but don't ASSume they will be like a Russian lass...

In general, I like Polish folk, and there's no need to go on forums to be 'pilloried' for liking Slavic lasses....  take a holiday in Warsaw, of visit a Polish Skiing resort http://www.j2ski.com/ski_resorts/Poland/Zakopane.html and ignore the idiots who can't see you are paying their citizens a compliment by investigating their women  :chuckle:

Online AvHdB

• Spouses Country: Ukraine, Kiev
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2010, 02:32:30 PM »
In Amsterdam I know two Polish women they laugh and cry & are they determined to get what they want so they work hard. They are vocal and great friends in the pub and on the squash court.

And both of them despise Russia but are sympathetic to Ukraine.

Further know a Polish girl who had a Ukraine father and Polish mother. Her father about twenty odd years ago decided that he could live with the in-laws as the Soviet empire crumbled. But Ludmila is high maintenance and very demanding but her beauty equals her attitude.

AvHdB
“If you aren't in over your head, how do you know how tall you are?” T.S. Eliot

Offline JeanClaude

• Spouses Country: Several girls, not all at the same time
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2010, 03:23:05 PM »
But Ludmila is high maintenance and very demanding but her beauty equals her attitude.

No girl is worth that drama, I dont care how good she looks,
a day not trolled is a day not lived

Offline mendeleyev

« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2010, 12:26:54 AM »
When with a previous employer our news division produced 2 Polish news & entertainment programs which were broadcast weekly in selected US markets and in Poland. The staff Poles were definitely Slavic in many ways, but to a person had deep reservations about Russia and especially distrusted Vladimir Putin who was president at the time.

They were cordial and friendly to Mrs M on the occasional meeting but only because she was my wife and I ran the division.

There are some similarities in the languages which make it fun to compare notes, but with many middle age Poles one must be careful and remember that learning Russian was a mandatory function in Soviet satellites, not learned by free choice, and thus for some brings a blend of pleasure in knowing another tongue mixed with compulsion of having to learn it.

Online AvHdB

• Spouses Country: Ukraine, Kiev
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2010, 12:33:31 AM »
Having spent a fair bit of time in central Europe excluding Bulgaria and the Baltic countries. My own feeling in talking to regular citizens these countries tried and even were successful to a degree in maintaining some national identity during the Soviet period and Warsaw "pact".

Certainly as was the case of Poland having a large first and second generation immigrant community in England and even more so America helped.

AvHdB
“If you aren't in over your head, how do you know how tall you are?” T.S. Eliot

Offline Raspberry

« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2010, 11:14:04 PM »

I've noticed that they generally don't date "American" Americans.......they like Polish.....or something with strong family values---usually Italian or Greek or Irish. German men are kind of a "double-edged sword".....on one hand, they have some cultural aspects that are common....but there are some Polish people that dislike the Germans as much as they do the Russians.

On the other side of the coin, I have seen an increasing amount of Polish men marrying Filipinas, although the prefered ethnic group, other than Polish, tends to be Italian.

Offline Raspberry

« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2010, 11:28:44 PM »
In the UK we are not short of Poles. Some say up to 2 million (2.5% of our population) were in England (the official figure was 200k of course)

There are probably more Poles in the city of Chicago, than the whole country of England.

IMHO: they tend to have longer legs then UK/ Irish gals, work hard, and are smart.. some of 'em [ younger ones ] drink a little too much - like their UK counterparts.. 

Not all Polish girls are long-legged. I've met some short and stocky ones, too. As for the drinking, the Irish ladies can out-drink most American men, and still be standing.

If you were a 'searching' UK guy, I'd go to TK Maxx - a discount clothing fashion outlet -  they seem to shop a lot there  :chuckle:  No worries about Visas as they are EU citizens ...  

Why do the stores in the UK are called "TK Maxx" while their American counterparts are called "TJ Maxx"? Anyone know this?

Offline Chris

• CAD Drawing and Surveying for Office and on Site - Point - Shoot - Drawn - Instant Floor Plans
  • Spouses Country: Chernivtsi, Ukraine
« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2010, 01:13:55 AM »

Why do the stores in the UK are called "TK Maxx" while their American counterparts are called "TJ Maxx"? Anyone know this?

Useless trivia of the day!  (:)

In England TJ Maxx is known as TK Maxx, the same name it takes on in Germany, most of the clothes in the German stores come from the UK. The first T.K. Maxx opened in Bristol in 1994. T.K. Maxx’s United States parent company, T.J. Maxx, adopted the name T.K. Maxx to avoid confusion with the existing but separate discount chain T J Hughes which is prevalent here in the UK.

Offline ldelo

« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2010, 11:58:08 AM »
But Ludmila is high maintenance and very demanding but her beauty equals her attitude.

No girl is worth that drama, I dont care how good she looks,

Amen.

Unfortunately, no end of women here in the states have adopted this attitude even though many lack the looks that are traditionally part of that package.

Makes for a big goose-egg proposition if you get interested in them and take a peek into their world... Good luck, sister!

Offline Vinnvinny

« Reply #12 on: October 20, 2010, 03:18:51 PM »
This one's easy.

Not.

Offline Bruce Lee

• Trips: 5-10
« Reply #13 on: October 22, 2010, 04:04:26 AM »
Amen.

Unfortunately, no end of women here in the states have adopted this attitude even though many lack the looks that are traditionally part of that package.
We have the same problem here and most not only lack the "looks" they also lack the "body", "Greegs", "Burger King" and "McDonalds" have seen to that, coupled with way too much alcohol at the weekend!
If you get a minute check out Bruce's TR - Its not quite finished, however its still a pretty good read IMHO.

If I win the lottery I'll finish it this week if not I'll probably complete it when I retire!!! Until then I hope you enjoy the story so far!

Registration