The World's #1 Russian, Ukrainian & Eastern European Discussion & Information Forum - RUA!

This Is the Premier Discussion Forum on the Net for Information and Discussion about Russia, Ukraine, Eastern Europe and the Former Soviet Union. Discuss Culture, Politics, Travelling, Language, International Relationships and More. Chat with Travellers, Locals, Residents and Expats. Ask and Answer Questions about Travel, Culture, Relationships, Applying for Visas, Translators, Interpreters, and More. Give Advice, Read Trip Reports, Share Experiences and Make Friends.

Author Topic: How Women Present Themselves - Photos and Cosmetics  (Read 4406 times)

Offline BelleZeBoob

How Women Present Themselves - Photos and Cosmetics
« on: April 07, 2009, 11:59:46 PM »
especially those who go looking for arm candy (only care about her beauty)

In this particular phrase I mean to say that some men travel only to find someone with great physical beauty. They do not care about her family, her inner world, her culture, or the traditions which are special to the lady. These men think only of themselves. The lady is not a person with feelings to this kind of man, she is only a trophy.

I am having a hard time to think of a man who would care about physical beauty only..Well, Hugh Hefner may be :) But as far as I know men, they do care about the whole package.

Somehow I don't believe it when men say thay they don't care about her appearance. People should be physically stimulating each other.

On being superficial...would you call a man who does not want a fat (oops, I mean a corpulent :) woman superficial?
Men are like Bluetooth: he is connected to you when you are nearby, but searches for other devices when you are away.
Women are like Wi-Fi: she sees all available devices, but connects to the strongest one.

Offline Excedryn

• Spouses Country: Ukraine
  • Trips: 1-5
Re: How Women Present Themselves - Photos and Cosmetics
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2009, 02:29:33 AM »
Not sure I followed the whole package statement clearly, Belle. I am not a bad looking fellow and have had my fair share of "hotties" and from my experience most of them were missing an essential ingredient. A whole package is a nice thought and when I find me someone I plan on being with (for the rest of my life hopefully if the cards are dealt that way) she will be a whole package regardless of how she looks on the outside.

Physical stimulation does play a minor role for me...as I said I have had "hotties" so my view on that is most likely not the norm.

Superficial is really a "gray" word. I would be wrong to say yes or no to that reference without first knowing the person saying it.
Life is either a daring adventure or nothing. Security does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than exposure.
Helen Keller
US blind & deaf educator (1880 - 1968)

Offline mendeleyev

• Spouses Country: Russia
  • Trips: 20+
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2009, 10:32:51 AM »
I am having a hard time to think of a man who would care about physical beauty only.

Belle, perhaps it's the cultural associations to which I belong, but I've met more than a few men with what we'd call a "trophy wife" mentality. The practice is to travel to her country, find the prettiest, and then they expect her to blend in to his lifestyle with no considersation for her life at all.

I have attended cultural settings where guys drop off the wife and have no interest in what goes on at all. They just expect her to be done two hours later and that should be the end of her cultural and social interests until next month. Other guys are suspicious so they'll bring her, but make a point to stand alone in the back of a room....keeping an eye on what transpires and the minute the meeting is over instead of allowing her to socialize and drink tea/eat cakes, she is expected to leave immediately. It's sad really.

Among the most ridiculous was a time when an FSU social group sponsored a night out at the Moscow Ballet performance in Phoenix. We had about 150 in attendance and one newer RW member came with her sister-in-law. It was quickly apparent that the sister in law was there to keep an eye on how the wife acted and with whom she spoke. As an officer of the society one of my responsibilities was to move around to greet everyone before entering the concert hall. After approaching the two, the sister in law quickly took over the conversation and proceeded to write my name and position with the group on a small notepad. The sister in law then decided to quiz me on the purpose of such a group and why we might think such events were necessary. I felt so badly for the Russian wife who looked totally humiliated. That SIL took notes the entire evening on every person who spoke to the RW. She was more obvious than a KGB agent!   :rolleye0009:

Naturally a wife wants to blend in with her new country, but neither should she be expected to totally forget her background, culture and family back in her former home.

Offline Nessibelle

« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2009, 11:24:43 AM »
Among the most ridiculous was a time when an FSU social group sponsored a night out at the Moscow Ballet performance in Phoenix. We had about 150 in attendance and one newer RW member came with her sister-in-law. It was quickly apparent that the sister in law was there to keep an eye on how the wife acted and with whom she spoke. As an officer of the society one of my responsibilities was to move around to greet everyone before entering the concert hall. After approaching the two, the sister in law quickly took over the conversation and proceeded to write my name and position with the group on a small notepad. The sister in law then decided to quiz me on the purpose of such a group and why we might think such events were necessary. I felt so badly for the Russian wife who looked totally humiliated. That SIL took notes the entire evening on every person who spoke to the RW. She was more obvious than a KGB agent!   :rolleye0009:
Was it because of her husband's trophy-wife mentality or actually because of some general mental problems of his and his sister's?

Offline mendeleyev

« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2009, 11:30:08 AM »
Having met the husband only once it was difficult to tell. The one time he came to a meeting he came across as extremely "protective" of her, almost to a point of screening who could speak with her. She soon stopped attending and perhaps some of the ladies kept in contact but I kind of doubt it.

Offline froid

« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2009, 12:19:03 PM »
That protective instinct is one I find myself dealing with now.  I want to help and support my wife of course and that is just natural.  But now that we are in MY country I find myself feeling like I should be doing even more and that I am somehow more responsible now.

Look, we're gonna spend half the night driving around the Hills looking for this one party and you're going to say it sucks and we're all gonna leave and then we're gonna go look for this other party. But all the parties and all the bars, they all suck. <-Same goes for forums!

Offline Kimosabe

• Trips: 10-20
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2009, 07:37:30 PM »
I would sooner write a woman who has a child and "real" photographs of herself/child than some hot tottie in a pink bikini flaunting her curves (general rule of thumb is I never write to those anyhow).
What I have seen posted has been quite inciteful and certainly has cleared a few points of confusion/misconception I have had about who, what, when, where, and why. So for that I say thank you again!

Excedryn,
I agree, a woman with child can be more appealing to certain men, myself included.
But, there is a really big difference between an AW dressing provocatively and a RW showing some skin in a bikini.  Remember the competition factor, RW are trying to attract the best men and it feels completely natural to them to show their beauty.  My mistake in the beginning was avoiding writing to women who appeared too anxious to show some skin, thinking they were slutty or not good girls. Most are just trying to appeal to men, and they know very well how to do it.  :)  Sure, there is a fine line here, somewhere.  I am not eloquent enough to explain the difference, maybe someone who understands my point will elaborate. 

Offline alenika

« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2009, 11:12:13 PM »
Sure, there is a fine line here, somewhere.  I am not eloquent enough to explain the difference, maybe someone who understands my point will elaborate. 
I agree with what you say. But difficult to elaborate still as difficult to define this line. And it doesn't even depend on how much skin is shown...
I close eyes to see better

Offline Excedryn

• Spouses Country: Ukraine
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2009, 12:34:33 AM »
Valid point Kimosabe. Point of fact I understand exactly where you are coming from. My main point is I prefer seeing, and am more drawn to, normal everyday photos than glitzed and glammed professional photos because for me that gives me more of a true representation of what a lady is like outside a professional setting. That is not to say I don't enjoy prof jobs... I do. But I am more prone to responding to those who don't have every photo of themselves professionally done. Everyone does have their own criteria for establishing what will prompt them to respond or not.

And, yes, it is a fine line. But it is a line drawn by the person viewing the photos and his/her tastes I reckon.
Life is either a daring adventure or nothing. Security does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than exposure.
Helen Keller
US blind & deaf educator (1880 - 1968)

Offline Nessibelle

« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2009, 12:44:31 AM »
Valid point Kimosabe. Point of fact I understand exactly where you are coming from. My main point is I prefer seeing, and am more drawn to, normal everyday photos than glitzed and glammed professional photos because for me that gives me more of a true representation of what a lady is like outside a professional setting. That is not to say I don't enjoy prof jobs... I do. But I am more prone to responding to those who don't have every photo of themselves professionally done. Everyone does have their own criteria for establishing what will prompt them to respond or not.

And, yes, it is a fine line. But it is a line drawn by the person viewing the photos and his/her tastes I reckon.
I agree with this.
But sometimes normal everyday photos are just awful! I know one woman, who sent her pictures to me, she looked much worse on them than she was in life. Maybe that is why many women prefer professional pictures, and I understand them. Unless there is no Photoshop, of course.
Kimosabe was also talking about showing skin. I myself wouldn't write to a woman, who positions herself as a sexual object before all the guys who sees her profile, nonono. I agree with Excedryn on that.

Offline fireeater

• Trips: None Yet
« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2009, 05:41:46 AM »
Most professional pictures have some touch up done to them, to make the picture look better. It is the way of professionals photographers, to eliminate certain defects, to make the person look better. 

So I perfer candid pictures, since it shows the person in true life rather then one taken under ideal conditions. If you like her in these, then the odds are you will like her even better in person.  :)

Offline mendeleyev

« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2009, 02:21:50 PM »
When courting I had always assumed that the lady who is now Mrs Mendeleyeva wore cosmetics as a rule. Over time it became apparent that she uses cosmetics very sparingly. I like her that way best as it's real and she is still beautiful.

Over the years she has taught our daughters how to walk, sit with good posture, etc and have always wondered where she learned such cool things?  Is that taught in schools?

Offline jb

• I was anti-obama before it was cool
« Reply #12 on: April 09, 2009, 06:59:15 PM »
Much of the photographers skill lies in technique, good lighting, and even some good old fashioned equipment.  A good photograph doesn't need to be retouched or photo shopped.

I'm not a professional photographer, but I've taken some extraordinary pictures with some of my antique cameras.  I collect old cameras, it's a hobby.  Mostly old Nikons, but among my medium format antiques is an old Mamiya RB67 ProS, 6mmX4.5mm, this old camera loaded with a good low speed film will out perform my new Nikon D-80 digital any day of the week.  Standard lens focal length for this camera is 90mm, but I have a secret weapon,,, a 140mm SF (soft focus) portrait lens, with this and the proper lighting I can peel 15 years off a face.

I'm not the only photographer (amateur or pro) who knows these tricks.
I was anti-obama before it was cool

Offline windchimes

« Reply #13 on: April 14, 2009, 03:03:14 PM »

On being superficial...would you call a man who does not want a fat (oops, I mean a corpulent :) woman superficial?

There are two types of criteria: screening criteria and evaluation criteria.

Say for example that I want to visit some place for vacation. A hypothetical screening criteria would be a need for Palm trees and warm weather year round.  This would screen out Scandinavia, the Baltic republics, all but a small part of Russia, etc...

At this point I would evaluate the Carribean, Florida, South Pacific, Brazil and other places against each other in terms of cost, local population etc...

Now we relate this concept to this thing that we are all involved in (or have been involved in). There are screening criteria for age ranges, even in terms of search engines on these web sites.

After the screening, there is evaluation. Will a guy marry any woman just because she meets physical screening criteria? NO (unless he is stupid)

Will a lady marry just any guy because he meets screening criteria? No (unless she is a Green card Girl)

There are couple of women that I dated in the USA many years ago. They met screening criteria. Evaluation criteria: either they did not meet mine or I did not meet theirs.

Offline Manny

« Reply #14 on: April 14, 2009, 03:16:17 PM »

Windchimes has nailed it above!

The fact is, men go to Russia and Ukraine for slimmer and younger women!

Women do not look West for slim men. Slim men are in Russia and Ukraine already!

A further fact is that *many* of the happily married men here carry a few extra pounds (or kilos). Women look west for good men. Men look east for slimmer and younger women.

That's why it works. Common (yet differing) interests!
Read a trip report from North Korea >>here<< - Read a trip report from South Korea, China and Hong Kong >>here<<

Look what the American media makes some people believe:
Putin often threatens to strike US with nuclear weapons.

Offline mirror

« Reply #15 on: April 14, 2009, 08:49:26 PM »
I am sure any man can find a woman (In Russia) whom he dreams about.

Offline Jared2151

« Reply #16 on: April 15, 2009, 10:37:43 AM »
Speaking of appearances ........ check THIS out

http://blogs.usatoday.com/ondeadline/2009/04/frumpy-talent-contestant-wows-britain.html

It will be interesting to see how much her appearance changes by the end of the show,

Offline ECR844

• Searching for the word I will become
  • Trips: Resident
« Reply #17 on: April 15, 2009, 10:47:04 AM »

Online 2tallbill

« Reply #18 on: April 15, 2009, 01:33:57 PM »
especially those who go looking for arm candy (only care about her beauty)

In this particular phrase I mean to say that some men travel only to find someone with great physical beauty. They do not care about her family, her inner world, her culture, or the traditions which are special to the lady. These men think only of themselves. The lady is not a person with feelings to this kind of man, she is only a trophy.

I am having a hard time to think of a man who would care about physical beauty only..Well, Hugh Hefner may be :) But as far as I know men, they do care about the whole package.

Somehow I don't believe it when men say thay they don't care about her appearance. People should be physically stimulating each other.

Note: I didn't read everyone else's posts

I wanted to comment on the original post.
I would agree that a if a man ONLY considered a woman's looks then he would
be extremely superficial and quite possibly stupid. But not wanting a fat woman?
is personal taste. Some guys like em thin and some like em with girth. Some men like
big breasts blah blah blah.

Is it superficial to go after someone who attracts you? I don't think it is.
Is it even a good idea to go after someone who doesn't attract you?
I don't think so either

If a man or woman is EVER going to be picky then it should be with the person he is
going to spend the rest of their life with.
Just my two kopecks,

Bill
FSUW are not for entry level daters. FSUW don't do vague FSUW like a man of action so be a man of action  If you find a promising girl, get your butt on a plane. There are a hundred ways to be successful and a thousand ways to f#ck it up
Kiss the girl, don't ask her first.
Get an apartment not a hotel. DON'T recycle girls

Offline Rasputin

« Reply #19 on: April 15, 2009, 02:17:08 PM »
I wanted to comment on the original post.
I would agree that a if a man ONLY considered a woman's looks then he would
be extremely superficial and quite possibly stupid. But not wanting a fat woman?
is personal taste. Some guys like em thin and some like em with girth. Some men like
big breasts blah blah blah.

I agree. A man and a woman should be looking for someone who will be attractive to him or to her. Fortunately, tastes vary. The problem would be when someone is looking for a partner to impress people around them (i.e. "arm candy"). That is what would be superficial IMHO.
"Seems I live in Russia Rasputin visited" - Millaa
"So do I" - Molly35ru

Offline rhayes026

« Reply #20 on: April 23, 2009, 03:09:31 PM »
I agree too with Rasputin/2tallbill. Physical beauty is a great attractant at first but can the personality and brains stand up and be counted. So I keep an open mind. Manny, pm me on how to get ahold of ladagirl please for letter translations.   tiphat
They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.---Benjamin Franklin

Offline cufflinks

• Supporting Member
« Reply #21 on: April 23, 2009, 07:31:22 PM »
Mendy - you bring up a good point that has been discussed now and then in the RU/UA forums - should you try to integrate your FSUW into the local RU/UA Orthodox community and culture and adopt it as your own - or associate with aother "blended" FSUW/WM familes - of course to each their own but consenus based upon my reading is that there can be a backlash and acceptance issues in the traditional RU/UA communities and best to socialize with other RUAers as a basis to acknowledge and deal with the various culture shock and relationship issues that can arise - am I misinformed?

Offline mendeleyev

« Reply #22 on: April 23, 2009, 09:04:41 PM »
I think that if you do it at your own pace at which you are both comfortable, you'll have less issues than if you were to try to force relationships with ever Russian you meet. For us the church as been a comfortable mix as we both enjoy being Orthodox and it's such a natural place to meet others. For the most part, a church is also a setting where accountability can take place and if folks see things not quite right they can ask and even provide some helpful guidance.

My wife is a social people person. She's yet to meet an enemy and enjoys being around people and entertaining guests. So we are very involved in the Russian and Ukrainian communities also. Really, because of the nature of my career and interests, that would be a part of my life even if she weren't around.

One certainly should be careful in who she is introduced to at first. There are enough unhappy people from any background but we both have enough common sense to steer clear of those who have ulterior agendas.

Registration