The World's #1 Russian, Ukrainian & Eastern European Discussion & Information Forum - RUA!

This Is the Premier Discussion Forum on the Net for Information and Discussion about Russia, Ukraine, Eastern Europe and the Former Soviet Union. Discuss Culture, Politics, Travelling, Language, International Relationships and More. Chat with Travellers, Locals, Residents and Expats. Ask and Answer Questions about Travel, Culture, Relationships, Applying for Visas, Translators, Interpreters, and More. Give Advice, Read Trip Reports, Share Experiences and Make Friends.

Author Topic: Should you carry your ID documents with you whilst in Russia?  (Read 3554 times)

Offline Steveboy

• Commercial Member
  • Trips: Resident
Should you carry your ID documents with you whilst in Russia?
« on: October 11, 2016, 11:50:16 AM »
A small article for anyone concerned about carrying your ID documents , usually your passport on you whilst in Russia. Lots of people assume that if you don't have your passport on you and you get stopped it could lead to complications :hidechair:

The police never or very seldom even stop white Westerners..and not having any documents is no big deal. I have never carried them about with me ever since I first visited Russia nearly 14 years ago and never intend to..I don't like things in my pockets  :laugh:

https://www.moskvaer.com/how-to-behave-when-approached-by-police-on-moscow-streets-juristic-tips-for-foreigners-and-locals/
I support no government anywhere, ever, never. No institution, No religion!!

Offline Gipsy

Re: Should you carry your ID documents with you whilst in Russia?
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2016, 01:27:42 PM »
A small article for anyone concerned about carrying your ID documents , usually your passport on you whilst in Russia. Lots of people assume that if you don't have your passport on you and you get stopped it could lead to complications :hidechair:

The police never or very seldom even stop white Westerners..and not having any documents is no big deal. I have never carried them about with me ever since I first visited Russia nearly 14 years ago and never intend to..I don't like things in my pockets  :laugh:

https://www.moskvaer.com/how-to-behave-when-approached-by-police-on-moscow-streets-juristic-tips-for-foreigners-and-locals/

I always carry my wallet, in it is my UK driving licence, just to prove who I am should I ever get stopped..
It just stops me from having to pop along to the police station with proof of who I am which would probably be the case should one be stopped and have no form of identification....
Bear in mind also, that the police are not allowed just to stop someone for the fun of it..
Bridge is a lot like sex, either you need a good partner, or a decent hand... Woody Allen

Online AvHdB

• Spouses Country: Ukraine, Kiev
  • Trips: 20+
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2016, 01:46:37 PM »
Steve, Is there any background to this?

I always had a high quality copy of my passport and driving permits. The only time I was stopped (in Kiev) they looked at everything and moved me along.

During Euro 2014 I noticed some controls. But it seemed more benign, almost like lets take a census.

Once I was shaken down but it was in 2010 +/-.

This is useful intel for those traveling to Ukraine and Russia now a days.
“If you aren't in over your head, how do you know how tall you are?” T.S. Eliot

Offline sparky114

• Spouses Country: Russia
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2016, 10:50:04 PM »

I always carry my wallet, in it is my UK driving licence, just to prove who I am should I ever get stopped..
It just stops me from having to pop along to the police station with proof of who I am which would probably be the case should one be stopped and have no form of identification....
Bear in mind also, that the police are not allowed just to stop someone for the fun of it..

As above never been stopped on the streets since i started to travel to Russia in 2004 but always carry my driving licence anyway  :thumbsup:

Only ever had a brush with the men in Uniform when driving been stopped a couple of times that way  :P
Today is only one day in a life of happiness

Mark

Online Omega1982

• Spouses Country: Not determined / USA
  • Trips: 5-10
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2016, 11:01:13 PM »
Gypsy, with all due respect this is not accurate.  While I have never been stopped in Russia, I have been stopped twice in the Minsk railway station.  I had to provide my passport and obviously my Belarusian visa.  I have been to Belarus five times and have only been stopped twice though.  And three times to Russia and never been stopped.  So I would say it is a good idea to have it with you. 

Offline Gipsy

« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2016, 11:09:02 PM »
Gypsy, with all due respect this is not accurate.  While I have never been stopped in Russia, I have been stopped twice in the Minsk railway station.  I had to provide my passport and obviously my Belarusian visa.  I have been to Belarus five times and have only been stopped twice though.  And three times to Russia and never been stopped.  So I would say it is a good idea to have it with you.

Its Russia, and its accurate...

Belarus has different rules sorry to say....
Bridge is a lot like sex, either you need a good partner, or a decent hand... Woody Allen

Offline Gipsy

« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2016, 11:15:30 PM »

As above never been stopped on the streets since i started to travel to Russia in 2004 but always carry my driving licence anyway  :thumbsup:

Only ever had a brush with the men in Uniform when driving been stopped a couple of times that way  :P

IMHO, I have nothing to hide from the police, and although they will extremely rarely stop someone in the street, (Unless they suspect something funny), it is always best to carry something like a DL .. better to be safe than sorry....

Driving a car and being stopped is a different situation, in as much, you must show your DL (If a UK one, then you should also carry an IDP, and/or a translated copy of your UK one), the cars technical doc, Insurance where you are a named driver, and a statement from the cars owner that you are allowed to use the car as you wish...(Though the latter is not a legal obligation anymore)...

HTH..

Offline Steveboy

• Commercial Member
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2016, 05:19:54 AM »
I was on one occasion stopped at a party in some hotel.. I had no ID and could not even remember what room I was staying in  :ROFL:

I was taken to the police station by two officers, with a friend who also had no ID..spent a short time there. My friend was given a ticket to produce ID.. Nothing for me  :) I had a "Get out of prison free card"

Offline msmoby

• BANNED
  • BANNED
« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2016, 05:43:06 AM »
I always carry my passport, with the visa slip and registration docs ... You can keep a photo-copy on you - but I have the originals - SC always has hers on her

If you are going to be driving - you are MUCH more likely to be stopped - esp. at night - and the above advice is sound

You do not need to have a Translation of your DL, legally, un Russia

I have never claimed to be a Blue Beret

Spurious claims about 'seeing action' with the Blue Berets are debunked >here<

Here is my Russophobia/Kremlinphobia topic

Offline msmoby

• BANNED
  • BANNED
« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2016, 05:47:05 AM »
Those resident in Russia should have a Russian driver's licence, right ? ...

Offline Gipsy

« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2016, 06:01:47 AM »
I was on one occasion stopped at a party in some hotel.. I had no ID and could not even remember what room I was staying in  :ROFL:

I was taken to the police station by two officers, with a friend who also had no ID..spent a short time there. My friend was given a ticket to produce ID.. Nothing for me  :) I had a "Get out of prison free card"

Exactly....

Hence the recommendation to carry a DL in your wallet...

Eazy peazy lemon squeezy..

Offline Gipsy

« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2016, 08:22:20 AM »
I always carry my passport, with the visa slip and registration docs ... You can keep a photo-copy on you - but I have the originals - SC always has hers on her

My passport and Immigration slip stay safely locked up in the home, unless I am travelling city to city, rather than just moving around the city, and I carry no copy.
Its one hell of a ball ache if lost or stolen to get replacements, especially if only visiting Russia and a leaving date looming.
Russians must carry their Internal passport with them at all times, its the law.

If you are going to be driving - you are MUCH more likely to be stopped - esp. at night - and the above advice is sound

You do not need to have a Translation of your DL, legally, un Russia

Legally to drive in Russia, you must have your UK DL and an IDP, however, a translated copy of your UK DL is acceptable..

Btw, The DPC are not allowed to ask for, (nor see if you don't wish), your foreign passport and/or your visa, only the FMS are allowed to ask and be provided with them..

Offline Gipsy

« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2016, 08:23:19 AM »

Who says??

Offline msmoby

• BANNED
  • BANNED
« Reply #13 on: October 12, 2016, 01:30:12 PM »

Who says??

The Russians - ''The foreign-issued licence can only be used for 60 days after obtaining the work or residence permit; after this time use of the licence will be invalid.''

This is from https://www.angloinfo.com/russia/how-to/page/russia-transport-driving-licences-exchanging-a-licence, but you need only check with your local FSB/FMS combo agency.

Offline Danchik

• Russia Guru
« Reply #14 on: October 12, 2016, 01:38:10 PM »
If you live here, you should be savvy enough to understand when and what kind of ID is necessary or not to carry as you make your way around these parts.

The data base in Russia has improved 10 fold in the last few years and it shouldn't cause any problems should push come to shove if stopped without ID.

Nevertheless, I would suggest that any foreigner carry his/her passpot w/visa on one's self just to avoid any unexpected situations as I would caution any foreigner travellling in the States to do the same. I always have a bag/backpack slung across my shoulder, so how hard is it to throw my passport in it? It's autumn and jackets are in order and how hard is it putting your passpoat in your pocket? 

I get stopped more than the average "Western" foreigner as I'm Latino. And while I have rather light skin, I have dark hair and eyes and can resemble someone from the "Caucus" region to the untrained police eye. This has been especially true since the situation in Syria has escalated.

Just good to have my passport if I'm stopped as I'm on my way in less than 20 seconds.

Really though, getting stopped without some ID wasn't much of a problem even 5 years ago; and no where near the hassle it was 10-15 years ago, e.g., the last time I was stopped about 2 months ago, I didn't have my registration with me and the officer never asked for it. It's called evolution.

Regarding a foreigner's license, technically, my America license is good as kong as I have a Russian translation of it while I'm in country under a visa. Should I change my status to temporary or permanant resident, I have 60 days to obtain a Russian drivers license according to the law.
When it is dark enough, men see the stars.

Offline Gipsy

« Reply #15 on: October 12, 2016, 02:31:23 PM »

Who says??

The Russians - ''The foreign-issued licence can only be used for 60 days after obtaining the work or residence permit; after this time use of the licence will be invalid.''

This is from https://www.angloinfo.com/russia/how-to/page/russia-transport-driving-licences-exchanging-a-licence, but you need only check with your local FSB/FMS combo agency.

If you say so.... :coffeeread:

But its incorrect...

Online AvHdB

• Spouses Country: Ukraine, Kiev
« Reply #16 on: October 12, 2016, 02:35:57 PM »
Curious, is a drivers permit/licence from Ukraine and Russia accepted in Western Europe and North America?

In a private car and in a rental?
“If you aren't in over your head, how do you know how tall you are?” T.S. Eliot

Offline Gipsy

« Reply #17 on: October 12, 2016, 02:36:12 PM »
If you live here, you should be savvy enough to understand when and what kind of ID is necessary or not to carry as you make your way around these parts.

The data base in Russia has improved 10 fold in the last few years and it shouldn't cause any problems should push come to shove if stopped without ID.

Nevertheless, I would suggest that any foreigner carry his/her passpot w/visa on one's self just to avoid any unexpected situations as I would caution any foreigner travellling in the States to do the same. I always have a bag/backpack slung across my shoulder, so how hard is it to throw my passport in it? It's autumn and jackets are in order and how hard is it putting your passpoat in your pocket? 

I get stopped more than the average "Western" foreigner as I'm Latino. And while I have rather light skin, I have dark hair and eyes and can resemble someone from the "Caucus" region to the untrained police eye. This has been especially true since the situation in Syria has escalated.

Just good to have my passport if I'm stopped as I'm on my way in less than 20 seconds.

Really though, getting stopped without some ID wasn't much of a problem even 5 years ago; and no where near the hassle it was 10-15 years ago, e.g., the last time I was stopped about 2 months ago, I didn't have my registration with me and the officer never asked for it. It's called evolution.

Regarding a foreigner's license, technically, my America license is good as kong as I have a Russian translation of it while I'm in country under a visa. Should I change my status to temporary or permanant resident, I have 60 days to obtain a Russian drivers license according to the law.

Also incorrect, best check with a Russian lawyer...

Holders of work visa's, HS Visa's, TRP's do not require to hold a Russian DL..

Many folks say on various forums that holders or PR Visas must take a Russian licence, as only then a person can be classes as resident..

Only residents need to take a Russian DL...

Offline Gipsy

« Reply #18 on: October 12, 2016, 02:37:31 PM »
Curious, is a drivers permit/licence from Ukraine and Russia accepted in Western Europe and North America?

I believe that they have to show a valid IDP issued from Russia..

Ukraine I cannot say...

Offline Danchik

• Russia Guru
« Reply #19 on: October 13, 2016, 05:58:39 AM »

Also incorrect, best check with a Russian lawyer...

Holders of work visa's, HS Visa's, TRP's do not require to hold a Russian DL..

Many folks say on various forums that holders or PR Visas must take a Russian licence, as only then a person can be classes as resident..

Only residents need to take a Russian DL...
The information I posted is from the US Embassy website. I don't drive here, and haven't for years, so it's a non-issue for me. Much better and less of a hassle (and cheaper) to use a taxi or Uber.

Most people will be able to use their DL from whatever country they come from should they choose to drive here. Those of us who live here will figure out what we need to do when the time comes :). It's not that difficult really.
When it is dark enough, men see the stars.

Offline Dogsoldier

• Supporting Member
  • Spouses Country: Україна
  • Trips: 10-20
« Reply #20 on: October 13, 2016, 08:28:49 AM »

I believe that they have to show a valid IDP issued from Russia..

Ukraine I cannot say...
In the UK one can drive on an Ukrainian licence for a year.
In practice, getting insurance is next to impossible.

Offline Steveboy

• Commercial Member
« Reply #21 on: October 31, 2016, 01:57:39 PM »

Exactly....

Hence the recommendation to carry a DL in your wallet...

Eazy peazy lemon squeezy..

I never carry anything in my pockets, its most irritating having to fumble through some jacket or trouser pocket for stuff.
I don't even ever carry any cash or cards... The wife does all that for me. No jewellery either! Hate rings, necklaces, watches or any other item like that.

My phone and thats it. ;D

Offline msmoby

• BANNED
  • BANNED
« Reply #22 on: November 01, 2016, 03:03:19 AM »

In the UK one can drive on an Ukrainian licence for a year.
In practice, getting insurance is next to impossible.

In the same way Tourists to the UK can hire cars - there are firms proving cover for drivers using their non-EU licences ...

Ukrainian, Russian - the nationality is irrelevant.

I've bought it and I expect many other members who've had non EU wives - with full licences from those states - have done so...

I expect this post will also not see the light of day to 'protect' him from his stupidity.

Another Gypo 'factoid' ...like there were no problems with paying using UK cards online in Russia ...