The World's #1 Russian, Ukrainian & Eastern European Discussion & Information Forum - RUA!

This Is the Premier Discussion Forum on the Net for Information and Discussion about Russia, Ukraine, Eastern Europe and the Former Soviet Union. Discuss Culture, Politics, Travelling, Language, International Relationships and More. Chat with Travellers, Locals, Residents and Expats. Ask and Answer Questions about Travel, Culture, Relationships, Applying for Visas, Translators, Interpreters, and More. Give Advice, Read Trip Reports, Share Experiences and Make Friends.

Author Topic: Fluent English Speaking Military in Mariupol after Shelling  (Read 4344 times)

Offline Manny

• Spouses Country: Russia
  • Trips: 20+
Fluent English Speaking Military in Mariupol after Shelling
« on: January 25, 2015, 01:30:57 PM »
This was mentioned by Markje on another topic. So I had a snoop.

Listen to the accent of the guy who says "out of my face please" to the journalist 40 seconds into this video.

Where is that accent from?

He sure doesn't want to be on camera.
Trip Reports: Links to my travels in Russia, Estonia, North Korea, South Korea, China and the US are >>here<<

Look what the American media makes some people believe:
Putin often threatens to strike US with nuclear weapons.

Online andrewfi

• Supporting Member
    • Articles About Almost Anything!
Re: Fluent English Speaking Military in Mariupol after Shelling
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2015, 01:35:19 PM »
http://ruadventures.com/forum/index.php?topic=22414.msg395544#msg395544

I think that the accent has a clear nationality but less clear,  to us furriners, exact location. There's lots of people on the interwebs, paid posters almost certainly, trying to claim almost anything but the obvious. A late moment FUD campaign, posters on overtime.

...everything ends always well; if it’s still bad, then it’s not the end!

Offline GriffinCO

• Trips: 1-5
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2015, 01:38:15 PM »

Listen to the accent of the guy who says "out of my face please" to the journalist 40 seconds into this video.

So are you insinuating that the bombings were caused by Americans?  If so, that's a stretch...even for you Manny.  Especially after Zakharchenko said "The offensive on Mariupol would be the best possible monument for our dead."

Now if you're saying that American military or military contractors are in the area, it's well known they have been advising the Ukrainian military since the beginning of the conflict.  I'm not sure that's exactly news worthy.

Offline Ste

• RIP
  • Beware of Muslamic Rayguns
  • Spouses Country: The Planet Zanussi
  • Trips: 5-10
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2015, 01:44:13 PM »

Sounds like a Brit on his holidays helping the Ukes.

Oddly enough Aldershot where I have my second home is almost totally devoid of Soldiers last few months, mind you they are moving generally to Catterick. One grunt did tell me in the pub his unit are going to Ukraine but he seemed to think it was in Africa...
O pointy birds, o pointy pointy, Anoint my head, anointy-nointy.

Offline WestCoast

« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2015, 02:21:10 PM »
He said 'please' that pretty much eliminates most Americans being pursued by news crews. Since English is widely spoken not just as a primary language but also as a foreign language it is impossible to say what the nationality of man truly is.

Even if he speaks English with an American accent that wouldn't mean he's American. He might simply be a non-American who learned English in an American international school or at an American language institute. 

Also as was posted on RUA last year many of the oligarchs in Ukraine have hired ex military for their personal security details. It wouldn't be surprising to find native and non native English speakers as members of these security details.

Short of tracking the man down and getting his fingerprints or some other bio data it's probably impossible to discover his ID. 
andrewfi says ''Proximity is almost no guarantee of authority" and "in many cases, distance gives a better picture with less emotional and subjective input."

That means I'm a subject matter expert on all things Russia, Ukraine and UK.

Offline sashathecat

• Spouses Country: Ukraine baby!
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2015, 04:12:23 PM »

It is definitely not an American accent. To us Americans it sounds more Kiwi or even from your neck of the woods I would say. To me the giveaway is his pronunciation (and lack of)  of the word "of".  Also the lack of the word "f$ck".

Offline Ste

• RIP
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2015, 04:15:32 PM »

It is definitely not an American accent. To us Americans it sounds more Kiwi or even from your neck of the woods I would say.

As a Brit I'd say British but with the air of a professional soldier - maybe a mercenary? On his holidays?

Offline Ste

• RIP
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2015, 04:19:09 PM »
Of course, begs the question why did he even speak, seems obviously now - he's a Russian spy with an excellent command of English sent to 'bump' into reporters on purpose to convince the world that The British Army are fighting for Ukraine.

Equally as plausible as Russian Soldiers fighting with rebels in their free time........

Offline Slumba

• 10:27 AM
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2015, 04:22:59 PM »
How about some actual realism - conveniently, you can't see the mouth of the person, so you can't even see if the lips sync up to the sound.  How tough would it be for your average 14 year old to splice in a voice from some other source?

Here it is, 2015 and you can buy a 4K super-hidef video camera for under $2K, and all we get are low res, phone-quality videos where you can't even see the guy's mouth, offered as "proof".

Come on Manny, even you, with your customized Putin vajazzle decoration, have to admit you've gone soft in the head if you believe this represents anything  definitive.
Anchors Rewoven

Offline shakespear

• Supporting Member
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2015, 04:25:46 PM »

I don't detect any accent, but by his pronounciation of this phrase, I'd guess he has a college education.

The clearly pronounced "out of"  instead of less educated slang "Otta" and use of please is the tipoff.
"If you obey all the rules, you miss all the fun" - Katharine Hepburn

Offline cufflinks

• Supporting Member
« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2015, 04:49:46 PM »

I don't detect any accent, but by his pronounciation of this phrase, I'd guess he has a college education.

The clearly pronounced "out of"  instead of less educated slang "Otta" and use of please is the tipoff.

Please and out of indicate a level of politeness and annunciation that belies either a Brit or Anglo-Canadian - hmm how large is the Canadian Ukrainian community?   

Among largest agricultural land investors in UA - Brits and Anglo Canadians...  go figure.

Offline Manny

« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2015, 05:04:01 PM »

So are you insinuating that the bombings were caused by Americans?  If so, that's a stretch...even for you Manny.  Especially after Zakharchenko said "The offensive on Mariupol would be the best possible monument for our dead."

Now if you're saying that American military or military contractors are in the area, it's well known they have been advising the Ukrainian military since the beginning of the conflict.  I'm not sure that's exactly news worthy.

I didn't mention Americans.
Trip Reports: Links to my travels in Russia, Estonia, North Korea, South Korea, China and the US are >>here<<

Offline WestCoast

« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2015, 05:04:45 PM »
How about some actual realism - conveniently, you can't see the mouth of the person, so you can't even see if the lips sync up to the sound.  How tough would it be for your average 14 year old to splice in a voice from some other source?

Here it is, 2015 and you can buy a 4K super-hidef video camera for under $2K, and all we get are low res, phone-quality videos where you can't even see the guy's mouth, offered as "proof".

Come on Manny, even you, with your customized Putin vajazzle decoration, have to admit you've gone soft in the head if you believe this represents anything  definitive.

Even I could splice in a voice if I didn't have to sync it with his lips if it's being done on a consumer grade video camera. That's simple. Doing it on a professional system used by TV stations would be harder but certainly the pros could do it. It wouldn't require the type of tech used by the spooks. 
andrewfi says ''Proximity is almost no guarantee of authority" and "in many cases, distance gives a better picture with less emotional and subjective input."

That means I'm a subject matter expert on all things Russia, Ukraine and UK.

Offline Slumba

• 10:27 AM
« Reply #13 on: January 25, 2015, 05:06:30 PM »

Even I could splice in a voice if I didn't have to sync it with his lips if it's being done on a consumer grade video camera. That's simple. Doing it on a professional system used by TV stations would be harder but certainly the pros could do it. It wouldn't require the type of tech used by the spooks.

You are just modifying the audio track, which you can do with free software.  Easy to leave in the background noise and just throw in whatever you want.  Heck,I should do a parody version and have him asking for a plate of bangers and mash.
Anchors Rewoven

Offline Volshe

• moderndayruth
  • Spouses Country: Narnia
« Reply #14 on: January 25, 2015, 05:08:39 PM »
It's strange indeed that he'd be that polite under the circumstances... (I know i scream getThe :censored: ingCamOUTTA my face dumb :censored: under way less stressful circumstances... ) And that he'd speak in the first place instead of stfu, knowing he was being caught on cam  ??? 
"I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by."
Douglas Adams

Online andrewfi

• Supporting Member
    • Articles About Almost Anything!
« Reply #15 on: January 25, 2015, 05:21:21 PM »
It's strange indeed that he'd be that polite under the circumstances... (I know i scream getThe :censored: ingCamOUTTA my face dumb :censored: under way less stressful circumstances... ) And that he'd speak in the first place instead of stfu, knowing he was being caught on cam  ???

You might be, I might be, but a thing that has impressed me about well trained military folks is just how polite they can be under stress. It makes sense that they should be so though because it is only by maintaining a calm facade that they can then use the voice of authority. That the guy spoke as he did was actually a credibility building point.
...everything ends always well; if it’s still bad, then it’s not the end!

Offline GriffinCO

« Reply #16 on: January 25, 2015, 05:23:36 PM »

I didn't mention Americans.
Fair enough. Assumption on my part.

Offline Volshe

• moderndayruth
  • Spouses Country: Narnia
« Reply #17 on: January 25, 2015, 05:39:12 PM »

You might be, I might be, but a thing that has impressed me about well trained military folks is just how polite they can be under stress. It makes sense that they should be so though because it is only by maintaining a calm facade that they can then use the voice of authority. That the guy spoke as he did was actually a credibility building point.

True ...
"I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by."
Douglas Adams

Offline bagalia

• Spouses Country: Ukraine/USA
« Reply #18 on: January 25, 2015, 07:13:54 PM »
There is not really enough said to pinpoint an accent but just offhand I would say east coast.

I think that the media was a Russian source which can give some of us pause. Consider also that not long ago there was a supposedly Italian pretender that was exposed.

But still, there is nothing wrong with an American fighting in Ukraine other than it might be illegal. I have heard that it is illegal for Russians to fight independently outside of Russia and would like to know if that is true.

Anyway, please remember that there was one American who already died fighting for Ukraine and I have seen one other video of an American there in Maidan. It is extremely possible that there are other volunteers. Certainly there are volunteers from other countries as well. I have also seen one or two videos of Americans fighting for the Russian side. If I was not doing the marriage and citizenship thing I would probably also go. Do a search for Americans fighting in Ukraine.

On a side note from the airport thread. Time is almost up regarding the bill passed in congress (Feb 13th) for the president to decide what to send to help in Ukraine. He has permission to send anything he wants up to and including lethal weapons. How much 500 million dollars can buy is unknown to me but I would not think very much. Congress is getting a little pissy that things are not moving on this.

Misery is the river of the world; everybody row, everybody row.

Offline TomT

• Trips: 10-20
« Reply #19 on: January 25, 2015, 10:14:07 PM »
There is not really enough said to pinpoint an accent but just offhand I would say east coast.

I was thinking East Coast too, but definitely not New England or the South, and probably not New York/New Jersey. Pennsylvania would be a good guess.

Offline bagalia

• Spouses Country: Ukraine/USA
« Reply #20 on: January 25, 2015, 10:59:29 PM »

I was thinking East Coast too, but definitely not New England or the South, and probably not New York/New Jersey. Pennsylvania would be a good guess.

I was thinking of the same general area. Interesting.
Misery is the river of the world; everybody row, everybody row.

Offline Mikeav8r

• Keep the shiny side up and the dirty side down...
« Reply #21 on: January 26, 2015, 12:07:36 AM »
I would guess PA as well or perhaps upstate NY.  He seemed to be a little older than standard military active duty and it looked like he had a grayish beard (could be the way the light is hitting him as well).  I wouldn't think it unusual that someone goes to fight on their own accord as we have seen it on numerous occasions already (another American of Ukrainian descent who was killed a few months ago) .  Actual special operators for any western military wouldn't have said a word so as not to produce suspicion like it has here :)

American English in a Ukrainian battle zone?  That wouldn't raise an eyebrow now would it?  Guy is a merc or it was dubbed in as others have said.  Russians have plenty from other countries on their side so no biggie.
Two Favorites:
1.  You have 2 ears and 1 mouth, therefor you should listen twice as much as you speak. -Confucius
2.  If you want to give God a good laugh, tell him your plans. - Anon

Offline GuppyCaptain

• Actively on the Search
« Reply #22 on: January 26, 2015, 08:16:06 AM »
I honestly couldn't begin to guess where the guy's English is from. I can certainly rule out places (New England, Philly, Lancaster). I've lived in Pennsylvania the last 28 years so I'm exposed to a lot of PA, NJ, & NY English, not to mention traveling all over the country constantly. Honestly, I have no clue where that guy might hail from.

Offline Manny

« Reply #23 on: January 26, 2015, 08:38:36 AM »
Going off three of the comments above, that ties in with one of the Youtube comments:

100% American. NorthEast but not Massachusetts. Identical to Upstate New York. Thanks to our Zionist-run State Department, we now have Americans fighting in the Ukraine!

First I thought he might be British. But if so, I cant place the region. If it is American, it is one of the cleaner, softer accents I would associate with the east coast states. For me, it doesn't have the nasal twang or drawl some American accents have.

He doesn't have the right lilt for South African or Australian either.

Offline NS1

• Supporting Member
« Reply #24 on: January 26, 2015, 08:41:13 AM »
Can't be british I understood him, on first listen :chuckle:
There is nothing permanent except change.