The World's #1 Russian, Ukrainian & Eastern European Discussion & Information Forum - RUA!

This Is the Premier Discussion Forum on the Net for Information and Discussion about Russia, Ukraine, Eastern Europe and the Former Soviet Union. Discuss Culture, Politics, Travelling, Language, International Relationships and More. Chat with Travellers, Locals, Residents and Expats. Ask and Answer Questions about Travel, Culture, Relationships, Applying for Visas, Translators, Interpreters, and More. Give Advice, Read Trip Reports, Share Experiences and Make Friends.

Author Topic: Any success just going to Ukraine without meeting women online first?  (Read 6955 times)

Offline TimeZoneJumper

Are women in Ukraine receptive to WM hitting on them?

Has anyone had much success just going to Ukraine and approaching women they like as compared to meeting them online first to setup a meeting in person?

Online andrewfi

• Supporting Member
    • Articles About Almost Anything!
Re: Any success just going to Ukraine without meeting women online first?
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2014, 03:49:10 PM »
While I have never been to Ukraine to hit on women, or for any other reason, I have been to plenty of other places.

Here's what I have learned, in a nutshell.

If you are wanting to build a proper relationship it is unlikely to come about as a result of running some PUA routine on some random bird on the street. If you are seeking marriage then at least identifying potential targets in advance makes a whole heap of sense. Use dating sites and marriage agencies to identify targets and arrange meetings.

If you are going to try to find and acquire targets in Ukraine while in Ukraine then you are going to need to build a network over there and that takes time (that's why agencies exist, they provide the 'network' for you.)

If you just want a shag filled vacation then finding companionship is not hard - at least if you are accustomed to meeting women and are able to pull back home then you should do OK over there. You might even do better - for some reason, probably due to our own attitudes, guys, at least initially, seem to do better at pulling when in foreign climes than back home.
That noted, I'd still be looking to line something up in advance. It really will make life more fun if you have an adventure or two planned in advance.
...everything ends always well; if it’s still bad, then it’s not the end!

Offline kievstar

• Trips: 20+
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2014, 04:14:20 PM »
The best strategy is to go over and live in Ukraine and get a job for a foreign company based there.  But you need to learn Ukrainian language.  You can get rosetta stone and in 6 months you will be able to work for a foreign company in Ukraine if you take language seriously which is 4-5 hours a day over 6 months. 

Offline Manny

• Spouses Country: Russia
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2014, 04:29:10 PM »
While I have never been to Ukraine to hit on women, or for any other reason, I have been to plenty of other places.

Here's what I have learned, in a nutshell.

If you are wanting to build a proper relationship it is unlikely to come about as a result of running some PUA routine on some random bird on the street. If you are seeking marriage then at least identifying potential targets in advance makes a whole heap of sense. Use dating sites and marriage agencies to identify targets and arrange meetings.

If you are going to try to find and acquire targets in Ukraine while in Ukraine then you are going to need to build a network over there and that takes time (that's why agencies exist, they provide the 'network' for you.)

If you just want a shag filled vacation then finding companionship is not hard - at least if you are accustomed to meeting women and are able to pull back home then you should do OK over there. You might even do better - for some reason, probably due to our own attitudes, guys, at least initially, seem to do better at pulling when in foreign climes than back home.
That noted, I'd still be looking to line something up in advance. It really will make life more fun if you have an adventure or two planned in advance.

I agree with all that. Except this bit:

guys, at least initially, seem to do better at pulling when in foreign climes than back home

Unless you are planning to play the "rich foreigner" card, or want to pull British birds in Spain on holiday, the lack of language will be a hindrance or you will simply attract opportunists.

At home I have native language, local humour and understating of society to work with. Abroad I am robbed of the latter two and the language is patchy and foreign accented, so I am at a disadvantage.

If I can address what I think the OP means more directly: The days of the rich foreigner whose feet random women will fall at are LONG gone. It isn't the early 90's any more. Now you must use the same skills you use back home but with the disadvantage of not being fluent in the local language. So no, your idea doesn't hold water any more unless you are planning to live there and build networks and language.

Fair question for a newbie though. We all need to do the learning curve. People gotta ask questions. Welcome to the site TZJ!
Read a trip report from North Korea >>here<< - Read a trip report from South Korea, China and Hong Kong >>here<<

Look what the American media makes some people believe:
Putin often threatens to strike US with nuclear weapons.

Offline TimeZoneJumper

« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2014, 04:44:39 PM »
Thanks for the comments, guys.

Manny, you misunderstood why I was asking.

I was just curious how women in Ukraine respond to WM approaching them.  In some countries, women are very flattered and usually pretty receptive and interested (depending on the guy) to hanging out and getting to know the foreigner.  (Not just a hookup thing.)   While in other countries I've been to (Japan comes to mind) the women are very hard to approach and get anywhere with.

So I was just curious how Ukraine women see WM in their country and how they feel about WM approaching them.   Are they disgusted by WM because they think the only ones in their country are their to prey on some women there?  Or do they like WM?

Offline BelleZeBoob

« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2014, 04:53:37 PM »

I was just curious how women in Ukraine respond to WM approaching them.  In some countries, women are very flattered and usually pretty receptive and interested (depending on the guy) to hanging out and getting to know the foreigner.  (Not just a hookup thing.)   While in other countries I've been to (Japan comes to mind) the women are very hard to approach and get anywhere with.

I'd say that the former idea would be more likely real than the latter, the Japanese-like scenario.

So I was just curious how Ukraine women see WM in their country and how they feel about WM approaching them.   Are they disgusted by WM because they think the only ones in their country are their to prey on some women there?  Or do they like WM?

I'd say that they like WM, actually  :nod:
Men are like Bluetooth: he is connected to you when you are nearby, but searches for other devices when you are away.
Women are like Wi-Fi: she sees all available devices, but connects to the strongest one.

Online andrewfi

• Supporting Member
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2014, 04:54:56 PM »
Most women in most places have no interest in relationships of any kind with foreign guys. That's how it is. You can do things to increase the odds of meeting such women - dating sites and marriage agencies before you go and when there going o places where other foreign guys are because the women there are not there by accident. And yes, many of those women will be advantage takes, but depending upon your goals that is not necessarily a bad thing. [Unsubstantiated allegation about another member removed by mod].

Manny, yes, language lack is a drawback but can be an advantage. One is forced to be more direct, to not beat around the bush and frankly all the pickup lines in the world are almost always a waste of time, no matter what we blokes might think. The increased success as a newcomer is something I have experienced several times as I have moved from one country to another, it is about ones own attitude. As one starts to become localised one's success rate falls. On the other hand the relationships tend to be of better quality as they become driven by one's own network and connections.

The thing is though that, to repeat, if one is seeking marriage or similar, then random pickups of strangers are not the way to go. The numbers are against you.

Offline Slumba

• 10:27 AM
  • Trips: 1-5
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2014, 05:00:27 PM »
You could go in relatively warm, just by using e.g. mamba.ru in the area you are going to.  Tell the girl approximately when you will be there, no more than 4 weeks away (but don't give specific dates).  Tell them you are serious about finding the right woman for you.

To do it completely cold, frankly it depends on your personality.  I have one friend that is so very gregarious, he can make five friends in 20 minutes after just walking into a bar he has never been to.  That is him - but it is not me, and it might not be you, either.

EDIT:  You ask, "are they receptive to being hit on by WM"?  I think there is a cultural difference between the USA (I don't have experience dating in UK) and Russia (I assume Ukraine also) in terms of the level of forwardness (not aggression) you can employ.  Simply , "yes" they would be receptive. You will need to ensure that you don't unintentionally sabotage yourself by body language or dress... assuming you are somewhat normal though, you can do well, I think.
Anchors Rewoven

Offline TimeZoneJumper

« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2014, 07:09:08 PM »
Andrew, what do you mean by "advantage takes"?

Offline AJ

« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2014, 09:18:47 PM »
As far as generally receptive-
yes, no problem, basically the same as western culture,
and as a foreigner you naturally get some interest ,particularly if in more provincial cities.
certainly not Japan like.

So yes you could fairly easily meet some interested women ,if you are good at that at home.
That said, it certianly doesnt mean it would be a great idea to wing it as a *plan* for some short visit.

Also, to your other concern, in ukraine if completely cold calling , you would run into  a bit of sex tourist stigma,it would  be up to you to over come that.

Offline el_guero

• My Russian improves slowly.
  • Spouses Country: Ukraine
  • Trips: 10-20
« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2014, 12:42:26 AM »

Has anyone had much success just going to Ukraine and approaching women they like as compared to meeting them online first to setup a meeting in person?

I have done both.

The women there are open to men, but you must realize .....

MOST women already have a boyfriend.  It is not like the USA where a lot of 'available' people seldom date.

And the women will readily shoot you down, so if you have a weak ego, it is not the place for the weak.

Wayne

Offline el_guero

• My Russian improves slowly.
  • Spouses Country: Ukraine
« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2014, 12:47:19 AM »

If Japanese women were out of your league, are you ready for the slavic mindset?

Wayne

Offline TimeZoneJumper

« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2014, 01:21:39 AM »

If Japanese women were out of your league, are you ready for the slavic mindset?

Wayne

I don't feel anyone is out of my league.  Japanese women were very hard to approach due to their culture, not necessarily their attraction.  That's why I asked about Ukraine.   Didn't know how their culture was.

Online andrewfi

• Supporting Member
« Reply #13 on: March 10, 2014, 02:01:52 AM »
Andrew, what do you mean by "advantage takes"?

Advantage takers are people who are seeking their own advantage in preference to yours, or in favour of any shared benefit. So, in this context, women who are happy for you to buy the drinks, pay for the dinners but where you gain no personal or social benefit. Men and women who seek to take advantage of your presumed lack of knowledge about whatever local thing applies in the context.

Online AvHdB

• Spouses Country: Ukraine, Kiev
« Reply #14 on: March 10, 2014, 05:00:39 AM »

TZJ, Welcome to RUA - Most women do not like being hit.

As for approaching women cold turkey on the street or in a club some can make it works others not. BUT I strongly doubt you will be able to just find a club that is primarily composed of Ukraine women in Kiev. The majority of clubs in Kiev that you will wander into will be primarily composed of ex-pats and most of the women present are there to prey on them. Think praying mantis.

Both El Guero and AndrewFi make good points & I would consider what they have said.

If you can do as KievStar mentions and find a decent job & get the basics of the language, in the country of choice than you have a better chance of meeting a local woman.
“If you aren't in over your head, how do you know how tall you are?” T.S. Eliot

Offline sashathecat

• Spouses Country: Ukraine baby!
  • Trips: 5-10
« Reply #15 on: March 10, 2014, 06:05:44 AM »
I was just curious how women in Ukraine respond to WM approaching them. 

This can depend on location sometimes. I would think in certain cities women may be curious about foreign men and be receptive. In Odessa where my wife is from, there are many foreigners and women tend to shut them down very quickly and abruptly. Generally from my very limited observations, women in Ukraine are harder to approach on the street due to various reasons.

MOST women already have a boyfriend.  It is not like the USA where a lot of 'available' people seldom date.

Is one of the reasons. It seems women do not stay single in Ukraine like in the West. Not much of a break between boyfriends.

Didn't know how their culture was.

It is rude to smile at other people and most people do not make small talk or acknowledge one another on the street.
This is cultural and that wall, along with the language barrier make it harder to meet women out and about in Ukraine I feel.

Offline Tripleg

« Reply #16 on: March 13, 2014, 08:31:28 PM »
I am tempted to go into 2nd tier Russia "cold-turkey" this spring/summer not knowing anyone and just try to do approaches. It can not be any worse than USA, specifically Washington, DC where I am located and if my previous travel in Ukraine is any indication then I should also do OK in Russia (my Russian language knowledge is advanced). I am a bit concerned about safety as I might be traveling in rural areas by myself but since I have not had much luck with "online game" due to giving up quickly because of boredom and very little success in USA (I literally just work and sleep here) I figure why not go overseas "solo dolo". Perhaps this type of trip would improve my confidence and social anxiety.
SO, Trans-Siberian express train trip with frequent stops in places like Novosibirsk, Ivanovo (a bit out of the way but heard it's the "bride capital of Russia"), Ekaterinburg and Irkutsk is looking more and more interesting to me. I want to see if the "White God Factor" still exists as Mark Ames http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mark_Ames so greatly put in "The Exile" more than a decade ago.

Any thoughts on this? Would it be worth traveling 2nd class by train, stopping by in some cities where foreigners are rare and perhaps make a few contacts. should I completely immerse myself with the locals and travel in the open train cars of 3rd class. Or am I completely dreaming and should just stay put for 2 weeks in Moscow and try approaching women in cafes, bars, and online dating with the understanding that I would probably be competing with various other foreigners?

Offline Tripleg

« Reply #17 on: March 13, 2014, 08:41:41 PM »
Since the OP mentioned Ukraine and I seem to have taken the topic off track a bit with my Russia comment I must give a quick example of my trip to UA last year. My trip was Kiev > Odessa > Crimea (Simferopol, Yalta, Evpatoria). Over the course of 5 days I approached like a rabid dog in Odessa (except for one day where I was too hungover except to lounge on the beach and drink ice water) doing mostly cafe and street approaches. This resulted in several dates but as another poster just mentioned there is a lot of women in some parts of UA who view all foreign men with great suspicion (sex tourists and certain nationalities have scared a lot off) and furthermore once they find out you're there for only a week or so on "vacation" they view you in a negative light. I am not saying one won't "wife it up" by meeting women cold without preparations but it is unlikely. I am still trying to test this thus my previous post about traveling Russia solo dolo (or perhaps with a wing if I can find one).

Offline Halo

« Reply #18 on: March 13, 2014, 08:53:30 PM »
Go.  Immediately.  And be certain to point out to them they are "second tier".
After the fall of communism, the biggest mistake Boris Yeltsin's regime made was not to disband the KGB altogether. Instead it changed its name to the FSB and, to many observers, morphed into a gangster organisation, eventually headed by master criminal Vladimir Putin. - Gerard Batten

Offline vendelo

• Spouses Country: USA/Hong Kong
  • Trips: 5-10
« Reply #19 on: March 13, 2014, 09:31:35 PM »
I think the chances of randomly meeting The One on a trip is very small compared to emailing many women on a dating web site.

Online andrewfi

• Supporting Member
« Reply #20 on: March 14, 2014, 04:12:54 AM »
Meeting people is not the key issue. Meeting people with similar goals and with whom you are compatible is

That's where dating sites and marriage agencies have a function.

I mean, if you stood on a street corner  in your home town and importuned women walking past you, how many do you think would be interested in talking to you about getting married? Getting a shag would be much easier, but that is not your claimed goal.

Offline 2tallbill

« Reply #21 on: March 14, 2014, 08:58:31 AM »

Yes, girls in the FSU are receptive to being hit on. What do you think that FSU men
do? Arrange meetings with their parents first? You will get rejected too.

I've done it, with success a number of times. A cute waitress, a girl at a pizzeria,
a girl who I stopped to ask directions. I've picked up a piece of paper from the ground
and ask the girl if she dropped it. Then asked her if she wanted to have some tea.
Asked a girl at a kiosk who had a nice smile. I was told no many times too, always
politely.

I've also gone on a trip wovo and it didn't work out. So I went on the social networks
and asked many girls if they wanted to meet me for coffee or tea. 

FSUW are not for entry level daters. FSUW don't do vague FSUW like a man of action so be a man of action  If you find a promising girl, get your butt on a plane. There are a hundred ways to be successful and a thousand ways to f#ck it up
Kiss the girl, don't ask her first.
Get an apartment not a hotel. DON'T recycle girls

Offline 2tallbill

« Reply #22 on: March 14, 2014, 09:05:41 AM »
You can read about Christian V did exactly there here http://ruadventures.com/forum/index.php?topic=13916.0
FSUW are not for entry level daters. FSUW don't do vague FSUW like a man of action so be a man of action  If you find a promising girl, get your butt on a plane. There are a hundred ways to be successful and a thousand ways to f#ck it up

Offline 2tallbill

« Reply #23 on: March 14, 2014, 09:08:42 AM »
I think the chances of randomly meeting The One on a trip is very small compared to emailing many women on a dating web site.

I think combining the two are optimal, go on the social networks and write a hundred
letters, but ask the cute cashier if she wants to have coffee later too.

Offline AJ

« Reply #24 on: March 14, 2014, 10:32:07 AM »
Meeting people is not the key issue. Meeting people with similar goals and with whom you are compatible is

That's where dating sites and marriage agencies have a function.

I mean, if you stood on a street corner  in your home town and importuned women walking past you, how many do you think would be interested in talking to you about getting married? Getting a shag would be much easier, but that is not your claimed goal.

exactly.