The World's #1 Russian, Ukrainian & Eastern European Discussion & Information Forum - RUA!

This Is the Premier Discussion Forum on the Net for Information and Discussion about Russia, Ukraine, Eastern Europe and the Former Soviet Union. Discuss Culture, Politics, Travelling, Language, International Relationships and More. Chat with Travellers, Locals, Residents and Expats. Ask and Answer Questions about Travel, Culture, Relationships, Applying for Visas, Translators, Interpreters, and More. Give Advice, Read Trip Reports, Share Experiences and Make Friends.

Author Topic: Why do Western guys send money to FSUW they hardly know?  (Read 30000 times)

Offline Bruce Lee

• Spouses Country: Russia
  • Trips: 5-10
Why do Western guys send money to FSUW they hardly know?
« on: July 16, 2011, 05:48:36 AM »

IMHO if Western guys used more of their common sense and made the “candy shop” a little emptier for scammers, pro-daters etc one would hope that these undesirables would seek to find a more profitable vocation and make this endeavor a little safer and less of a minefield, wishful thinking of-course!!!

Rather than a permanent take-over of Mobys thread I thought I would start another separate thread and attempt to discuss this a little further, maybe it will help a few guys to take their mind off the Hookah Vs Kalian or whatever debate :)

I touched on the following in another thread but after approx 18 months on this forum I still can’t understand some guys reasoning and what exactly goes on in the empty space between their ears when they start sending money to someone they’ve either never met or possibly even worse, had a brief seemingly uneventful meeting with.

For those Western guys that have a sizable chunk of deposable income it would be reasonable to suggest that at some point in their life they were at least moderately successful and used some form of “common sense” to amass this sum of money in the first instance (it’s got to be in the bank before you can blow-it)! So it would be safe to assume that sizable percentage of these guys were reasonably sensible at some point in their life, so what goes wrong when they start this International dating thing?

My question is, what motivates a guy to pour money down the toilet in such a way, is it common to try and date women in the West using the same method, does the same guy start sending the Western single mother he met off match.com $1,000 a month – I would say highly unlikely!  Of course, the cleaver lady always make the guy think it was his idea to start sending her the money but we all know that’s how the best con artists work, you have to willingly part with your money, don’t you!

Some suggestions are obvious, such as flexing financial muscles, thinking you can buy love/respect/affection, saving the fallen maiden by playing the knight in shining amour, feel great in the notion that the rich Western man is helping the poor downtrodden FSU lass and of course the classic - falling in love with the beautiful photos whilst allowing the little head to rule the decision making process!

The main questions are:

Who do guys do it, why do they never listen?
At what point does the bullshit filter switch off and they ignore the obvious flags?
Can you buy affection/respect or even love?
Do such scenarios ever end happily?
Why does it always seem to be Ukraine (I can’t remember reading the same stories involving Russian women very often)?
Common sense is an inherent skill, we all look each way when we cross the road so why do some guys leave their common sense behind, where does it all go wrong?
If you get a minute check out Bruce's TR - Its not quite finished, however its still a pretty good read IMHO.

If I win the lottery I'll finish it this week if not I'll probably complete it when I retire!!! Until then I hope you enjoy the story so far!

Offline Manny

• Trips: 20+
Re: Why do Western guys send money to FSUW they hardly know?
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2011, 06:07:36 AM »
For those Western guys that have a sizable chunk of deposable income it would be reasonable to suggest that at some point in their life they were at least moderately successful and used some form of “common sense” to amass this sum of money in the first instance (it’s got to be in the bank before you can blow-it)! So it would be safe to assume that sizable percentage of these guys were reasonably sensible at some point in their life, so what goes wrong when they start this International dating thing?

That is almost identical to one paragraph in our book.  :chuckle:

It has always been a source of mystery to me too. Worse still, when they do send money, many send multiples of what would be an average salary, thus guaranteeing that Fat Yuri the woman and her boyfriend family can live very well indeed.

Must be great to be one of those women who get multiple income streams this way. Having five guys sending you $1000 a month each in exchange for the odd soppy pre-written "cozy home" email must be way better than working for $400 a month in a shoe shop.  :thumbsup:

No wonder there are so many up-scale sushi restaurants in some places........
Read a trip report from North Korea >>here<< - Read a trip report from South Korea, China and Hong Kong >>here<<

Look what the American media makes some people believe:
Putin often threatens to strike US with nuclear weapons.

Offline Bruce Lee

« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2011, 06:32:21 AM »
Interesting, never read your book myself Manny but I suggest many should :)
If you get a minute check out Bruce's TR - Its not quite finished, however its still a pretty good read IMHO.

If I win the lottery I'll finish it this week if not I'll probably complete it when I retire!!! Until then I hope you enjoy the story so far!

Offline TomT

• Trips: 10-20
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2011, 07:40:12 AM »
It's only a small leap from there to marrying someone you hardly know.

Offline Rasputin

« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2011, 08:23:30 AM »
For those Western guys that have a sizable chunk of deposable income it would be reasonable to suggest that at some point in their life they were at least moderately successful and used some form of “common sense” to amass this sum of money in the first instance (it’s got to be in the bank before you can blow-it)!

Most likely moderately successful at making money, but naive about women and dating. 

Who do guys do it, why do they never listen?

Some seem to have convinced themselves that the whole "traditional woman" thing is true and that all women in the FSU fall under this category. When someone believes, there is nothing that you can say that will sway their convictions.

At what point does the bullshit filter switch off and they ignore the obvious flags?

Good question. I wager it happens when they fall in love.

Can you buy affection/respect or even love?

Not IMHO.

Do such scenarios ever end happily?

Rarely if ever.

Why does it always seem to be Ukraine (I can’t remember reading the same stories involving Russian women very often)?

Perhaps because Russia needs a visa? It takes a bit more time to go so perhaps the little voices inside your head have more of a chance of breaking through  ??? Not needing a visa perhaps, and this is merely a guess, favors impulsive actions?

Common sense is an inherent skill, we all look each way when we cross the road so why do some guys leave their common sense behind, where does it all go wrong?

The moment they fall in love, whether it was after seeing a picture, talking on Skype or meeting in person, and that need to have to love requited becomes the driving force in a man's life  :coffeeread:
"Seems I live in Russia Rasputin visited" - Millaa
"So do I" - Molly35ru

Offline TomT

« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2011, 08:30:56 AM »
Men, to a much greater extent than women, tend to be problem-solvers. Most routine problems are solved by throwing money at them. Therefore, it seems quite natural to try to solve one's international dating problems by throwing money at them, as well. Oddly enough, sometimes it works. I wouldn't bank on it, however.

Offline el_guero

• My Russian improves slowly.
  • Spouses Country: Ukraine
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2011, 09:21:26 AM »
Well .... I am gonna blame the Western Women .... if women (our mothers) did not try to raise needy men and raise girls (daughters) to not want to meet the realistic needs of their men, we wouldn't see this problem in the West .... 

IMHO ....

:hidechair:

Gotta get ready for all the non-morality (that is what society gives us) people ....

Offline MBS01

« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2011, 09:36:01 AM »
The good vs bad or ughly!
Certainly sending off $1,000.00 or more per month over time is just plain stupid 99.99% of the time at least.

Yet a few other cases may be reasonable for such things as language lessons (English or whatever you speak) makes sense at least after the first meeting or perhaps even before provided you plan to visit soon!  Likewise something to enable the lady to meet you in Kiev (Moscow, SPB, or wherever your plane lands) on arrival in her country.  Also small amounts to cover Internet Fees to make regular daily contact possible.

It is amazing how much a lady can learn of your language if she puts her mind too it in order to better communicate with you in country.  Remember the alternative is to hire a translator in country at a much higher cost and lack of privatcy during your time together.  Note: I did both in the past, yet the best meetings were one on one with the ladies that I liked the most including my wife.

Above all do get on the plane as soon as possible to ensure your investment is well placed.  Writing and not meeting up for months for a first meeting is just plain stupid no matter what.  Once you visit and both agree to continue it is then up to each one to manage their relationship accordingly.

Offline Rasputin

« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2011, 09:48:33 AM »
Well .... I am gonna blame the Western Women .... if women (our mothers) did not try to raise needy men and raise girls (daughters) to not want to meet the realistic needs of their men, we wouldn't see this problem in the West .... 

Is this your answer to everything  ??? Shouldn't fathers be playing a role in raising their children as well?
"Seems I live in Russia Rasputin visited" - Millaa
"So do I" - Molly35ru

Offline el_guero

• My Russian improves slowly.
« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2011, 11:44:55 AM »
Shouldn't they?

Mothers are responsible for most of a child's social bonding skills.  And mothers are more likely to raise their children with feminist leanings than fathers are ....

But, rhetorically, yes.

Online B.B.

• Supporting Member
« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2011, 11:47:11 AM »
Men, to a much greater extent than women, tend to be problem-solvers.

Reminds me of a joke (modified slightly for forum purposes):

Q:  How many AW does it take to change a light bulb?

A:  Two, but they don't actually change the bulb; they just sit in the dark and bitch.

:chuckle:

I wouldn't bank on it, however.

Sadly, many scammers do.

B/B
Saving the World, One Clue at a Time
If your religion insults my intelligence, don't be surprised when my intelligence insults your religion.

Offline Zachris

• Spouses Country: Uzbekistan
« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2011, 12:09:12 PM »
I think for many men it is a risk-to-benefit analysis.

I think many of us believe that we have the ability to sense a scam when we see one. So, if Boris and Yuri are doing their jobs properly, they will have gotten us to trust the woman on the other end of the keyboard.

When money is sent, most would still probably worry about it being some type of scam, but the trust and affection they have developed for the woman means that they see the risk as being relatively low when compared to the potential benefit that can be gained by demonstrating trust and financial stability.

Although I have never sent money to any woman, I don't know that I could ever consider myself completely immune to this scam. After all, had the tick of fate taken a slightly different turn, some of our most experienced forum members would have fallen into this trap -- despite their superior experience and wisdom. And, some of those same members gained their superior wisdom by falling victim to the scam themselves earlier in their quest. Yet, even with that previous experience, they sent money.

Right now I, for one, would rather fall victim to a scam than to alienate a potentially good woman over a few measly dollars.

Of course, I also realize that I am still relatively new at this endeavor. I may have a different opinion after I have gained a little more experience with the process -- i.e., actually fallen victim to the scam.
Numquam tribuere ad malitia quod sufficienter explicatur stultitia.
Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.
Никогда не приписывать злобы, которое может быть адекватно объяснено глупостью.

Offline RG

• Spouses Country: Now the US
« Reply #12 on: July 16, 2011, 12:46:31 PM »

IMHO if Western guys used more of their common sense and made the “candy shop” a little emptier for scammers, pro-daters etc one would hope that these undesirables would seek to find a more profitable vocation and make this endeavor a little safer and less of a minefield, wishful thinking of-course!!!

I touched on the following in another thread but after approx 18 months on this forum I still can’t understand some guys reasoning and what exactly goes on in the empty space between their ears when they start sending money to someone they’ve either never met or possibly even worse, had a brief seemingly uneventful meeting with.

My question is, what motivates a guy to pour money down the toilet in such a way, is it common to try and date women in the West using the same method, does the same guy start sending the Western single mother he met off match.com $1,000 a month – I would say highly unlikely!  Of course, the cleaver lady always make the guy think it was his idea to start sending her the money but we all know that’s how the best con artists work, you have to willingly part with your money, don’t you!

I think Tom and Ras covered it quite nicely.
They are literally "buying into the fantasy" hook, line and sinker. 
It may be naivete, but that raises another question of if these same people believe every commercial, every spam mail, every product claim, and make large investments or purchases without any research at all? ???

Even with doing some homework, who doesn't want to believe in a "too good to be true" scenario, at least a little bit?  The less real world dating/social skills may tend to make someone more likely to close their eyes and ears, and have them clinging to the hype, while ignoring that most well-intentioned women would never accept such sums, especially from a stranger.  "Date as closely as possible to like at home" and consider every situation as if it were at home; most of us wouldn't send money to a person unmet, and certainly not the quantities we've seen mentioned.  If you wouldn't do it or tolerate it at home, you should at least be seriously questioning why you would do it elsewhere. 

I just don't know any decent FSUW that would take $ so casually, let alone the sums being discussed in some cases, or from a virtual stranger; it was a debate with one, over a quite small gift (not even a gift as much as something we needed for an activity, actual cost like $40 or so), and my now wife, when she was temporarily low on funds, after meeting multiple times, was quite uncomfortable and somewhat offended when I did ask if she needed some help.  She owned her apartment and was working, although part-time at the time, and would be difficult to even simply reimburse her for the various transportation costs.  Families do tend to help each other out, and while many women may have some dreams about the future, and certainly, it's expected the man is paying when dating, that is a long stretch from asking, insinuating, or accepting sums of $ from someone who is not family or a permanent part of that person's life.

There are of course, "all sorts," which just goes back to - would you do this at home?  How many even ask that question?

I can't disagree about deciding to pay for English lessons, or in possibly paying for home Internet access, on a case by case basis - in other words, are you both really part of each other's lives, or not?  A few emails exchanged and hearing about being "the one" just isn't too likely, when a sanity check is done against "at home," as well as the general dispositions of many FSUW - it's not trust but verify from many of them, maybe closer to "hope but verify, over time."  I also won't disagree about taking further responsibility once in a bonafide (in person) relationship, but it's incomprehensible the number of stories we get about someone exchanging 3, 6, 12 emails, then suddenly there being a $1000+ "emergency" or asking for money. 

YMMV as always - I'm sure if someone goes after all of the "supermodel" types, even if they are for real, there is likely to be an element of high maintenance there, and maybe that's someone's idea of what they want, more of a "sponsorship," but I've rarely communicated with nor met anyone I considered decent that was quick to discuss real problems, let alone discussing $ or "help."  For most, that required building up trust, friendship, over time, and then still it never led to pleas help or for cash.

Buy hey, maybe we're all "doing it wrong"? ;D
Keeping ones eyes and mind open, and looking a the actual situation as well as comparing it to a local one could save a whole lot of grief, IMO.

Offline TomT

« Reply #13 on: July 16, 2011, 01:06:06 PM »
Some of the girls (especially the super-hot ones) believe that being showered with gifts and cash is an entitlement. Even if they aren't scammers, you don't want 'em.

Offline erudite

• Kharkov is a GREAT CITY!!!!!!
  • Spouses Country: UKRAINE
« Reply #14 on: July 16, 2011, 01:50:35 PM »
I think this picture may illustrate something of this phenomenon.   :thumbsup:
"It don't matter who's in Austin, Bob Wills is still the King", Waylon Jennings

Offline TomT

« Reply #15 on: July 16, 2011, 02:18:28 PM »
Yep, men tend to make the tacit (wishful) assumption that the girls in the photos are their correspondents. The truth be told, after seeing Nessi's professional photos, I was a bit concerned. Fortunately, she had the good sense to send me some candid shots also.

Offline Manny

« Reply #16 on: July 16, 2011, 03:36:40 PM »
The truth be told, after seeing Nessi's professional photos, I was a bit concerned. Fortunately, she had the good sense to send me some candid shots also.

I can say the same of my wife.

Often times, even when you think you know what you are doing, it becomes a judgement call. After I had met my [now] wife two or three times (which isn't much really; one is really only scratching the surface), we were after arranging a flight for our next meeting. Expedia was coming up at about £800 for the route we wanted and a Russian travel agent was coming up with £500. I said "great, lets book it, have them get in touch with me and I will arrange payment".

The reply came back that it was booked, and now they needed paying (seldom possible in the west). Guess what? The travel agent was only geared up to take Western Union.  :snivel:

By then I had been reading forums, and yes, the alarm bells did ring quite loud. I went through all the "Can you trust the agent?" stuff. I questioned her. I questioned myself. In the end, she said "If you don't trust me, don't bother.  :biggrin: ". [Bloody psychologists] In the end, I decided I could afford to gamble £500 come what may. So I made a Western Union booking. Matters were made worse by a WU security call back asking me why I was sending the money to Russia and "educating" me about romance fraud. I had to say it was a family member and waive charge back rights to get them to send it without the third degree.  :-\

Well, of course, the agent was for real. The booking was for real and she arrived as planned. Note to casual readers - I had physically met the woman two times already. Do not send money to those you haven't met for flights and/or visas - that is always fake!

Bloody uncanny Bruce! Here is the paragraph:

Quote from: Russian Bride Guide
It tends to be the men who can afford to send money who send it. As such, those men usually had to use their grey matter and judgment to acquire said cash in the first place; if the same good judgment is applied to the decision to send the money, scamming is unlikely. Any money you send should only be money that you can afford to lose. It becomes a gamble with the odds in your favor if you use common sense. You will enjoy much better odds than the Lotto or the roulette table.

Great minds think alike.  :nod:
Read a trip report from North Korea >>here<< - Read a trip report from South Korea, China and Hong Kong >>here<<

Offline Anteros

• Trips: 1-5
« Reply #17 on: July 16, 2011, 03:41:56 PM »
The truth be told, after seeing Nessi's professional photos, I was a bit concerned. Fortunately, she had the good sense to send me some candid shots also.

I can say the same of my wife.

Often times, even when you think you know what you are doing, it becomes a judgement call. After I had met my [now] wife two or three times (which isn't much really; one is really only scratching the surface), we were after arranging a flight for our next meeting. Expedia was coming up at about £800 for the route we wanted and a Russian travel agent was coming up with £500. I said "great, lets book it, have them get in touch with me and I will arrange payment".

The reply came back that it was booked, and now they needed paying (seldom possible in the west). Guess what? The travel agent was only geared up to take Western Union.  :snivel:

By then I had been reading forums, and yes, the alarm bells did ring quite loud. I went through all the "Can you trust the agent?" stuff. I questioned her. I questioned myself. In the end, she said "If you don't trust me, don't bother.  :biggrin: ". [Bloody psychologists] In the end, I decided I could afford to gamble £500 come what may. So I made a Western Union booking. Matters were made worse by a WU security call back asking me why I was sending the money to Russia and "educating" me about romance fraud. I had to say it was a family member and waive charge back rights to get them to send it without the third degree.  :-\

Well, of course, the agent was for real. The booking was for real and she arrived as planned. Note to casual readers - I had physically met the woman two times already. Do not send money to those you haven't met for flights and/or visas - that is always fake!

Bloody uncanny Bruce! Here is the paragraph:

Quote from: Russian Bride Guide
It tends to be the men who can afford to send money who send it. As such, those men usually had to use their grey matter and judgment to acquire said cash in the first place; if the same good judgment is applied to the decision to send the money, scamming is unlikely. Any money you send should only be money that you can afford to lose. It becomes a gamble with the odds in your favor if you use common sense. You will enjoy much better odds than the Lotto or the roulette table.

Great minds think alike.  :nod:

Great story Manny, I am glad that things worked out for you and your wife.  Like you said you had already met her twice, so the odds were in your favor.
Be careful what you wish for, you might get it.

Offline Manny

« Reply #18 on: July 16, 2011, 04:15:17 PM »
I would like to invite some of our experienced members, who may be seldom posters, but frequent readers onto this topic. This is a huge subject for those who are less experienced than you might be.

We always have many more reading guests than members. The topic has only been up a few hours, and look at the attention it is attracting from our reading guests.

ila_rendered

That screenshot is five different people (who are not members) across just seven minutes.

I would like this topic to become one of our informational stickies, so reading members, and service providers, please participate.  :nod:

If you are a reading guest and not a member, please hit the "register" button and come join in the chat. Did you send money? Tell us how it happened and help educate others. We are not here to laugh at your misfortune; we are here to help educate others who may have made the same mistake. Your input is valuable.

Offline NS1

• Supporting Member
« Reply #19 on: July 16, 2011, 04:34:26 PM »
I never sent a nickle,, but after first visit and before i had left I asked her to look into English lessons.
I got home,,, and she had,, so i started sending money once a month for this,, After a few weeks
of being home,, I decided to buy her a computer,,( she did not have one and I was in her home and met mother and daughter no computer) So she went looking we discussed it and she bought it...
Not I am sure I will get yelled at, she worked 10 days on from 10 am until 2 to 4 am with anywhere from 3 to 7 days off,, then another 10 days on. after couple months of this,, I asked if it would be possible to change hours or jobs or something so she would not miss so many English lessons.. after many conversations,, she agreed,, I paid salary. or best part of it. We skyped several times a day after this and she went to English lessons 3 times a week instead of a month. I went for second visit all went exceedling well,, I asked her to marry me, she said yes AH BLISS>
We arranged for visa for her to visit and it was approved, After this visit she was even more serious and 3 to 5 texts a day 1 or 2 phone calls and several Skye sessions a day.. She came to visit,, well about everything that could have wrong did,,, and to say the wheels fell off this buggy would be an understatement. She went home few bad conversations almost 11 months later it is over,, well maybe on life support,, but it don't look good.
Reading all I have about this,, including above most will say i got taken I am sure! Maybe, Of course I don't think so, that would be admitting I was stupid LOL,, OK I made many mistakes and sending money or more important to me, the way i did it I think I was wrong,, sending it I still think what I did was right. Because it did not work out as someone above mentioned means ( you got screwed) I hardly think its that simple! If you send before meeting or send crazy amounts of money then I agree! Other than that every story is different as the people involved in them!
I really don't need abuse for this, just saying my peace to help others,, if you have a good question about this ask!
If it is more private PM and ask.
There is nothing permanent except change.

Offline Anteros

• Trips: 1-5
« Reply #20 on: July 16, 2011, 04:40:30 PM »
I would like to invite some of our experienced members, who may be seldom posters, but frequent readers onto this topic. This is a huge subject for those who are less experienced than you might be.

We always have many more reading guests than members. The topic has only been up a few hours, and look at the attention it is attracting from our reading guests.

(Attachment Link)

That screenshot is five different people (who are not members) across just seven minutes.

I would like this topic to become one of our informational stickies, so reading members, and service providers, please participate.  :nod:

If you are a reading guest and not a member, please hit the "register" button and come join in the chat. Did you send money? Tell us how it happened and help educate others. We are not here to laugh at your misfortune; we are here to help educate others who may have made the same mistake. Your input is valuable.

Well in my case I did send some money to a lady after I had met her and spent a lot of quality time with her.  We ended up drifting apart but I do not regret helping her out a bit.  I would not recommend sending money to a woman you have never met.  That's just a very bad idea in my opinion.  You could be sending money to a man who has been posing as her, or she could have a boyfriend or husband and will of course stop communicating with you once she receives the money.  Either way each man needs to be careful and decide for himself.
Be careful what you wish for, you might get it.

Offline TomT

« Reply #21 on: July 16, 2011, 04:44:03 PM »
Unfortunately, the toughest decisions are those which must be made prior to the first meeting. One perennial issue can be avoided by a meeting in her home city. Fortunately, communication expenses are insigificant and English lessons are usually not very pricey. It should go without saying that, if a man is paying for Internet services and English lessons but the girl has no time to message and isn't learning much of anything, he should be ready to pull the plug.

Offline Larry

« Reply #22 on: July 16, 2011, 05:25:51 PM »
Last year I met a FSU girl.  Soon we began talking on skype for hours every day, developing a nice rapport.  We made plans to see each other within the month. She said she wouldn't be able to talk as long as we had previously because she didn't have unlimited internet access; she paid by her use.  So I sent  her a little money to upgrade to an unlimited access plan.  Unfortunately, things didn't work out between us, but I think it was a good decision to send the money so that we could keeping having long conversations.

Offline Manny

« Reply #23 on: July 16, 2011, 05:31:29 PM »
Last year I met a FSU girl.  Soon we began talking on skype for hours every day, developing a nice rapport.  We made plans to see each other within the month. She said she wouldn't be able to talk as long as we had previously because she didn't have unlimited internet access; she paid by her use.  So I sent  her a little money to upgrade to an unlimited access plan.  Unfortunately, things didn't work out between us, but I think it was a good decision to send the money so that we could keeping having long conversations.

Reading that Larry, I am thinking like fifty bucks? A hundred max.

Guys reading may be told all kinds of BS stories about how internet access is difficult and blah blah. A monetary number would help guys put that in perspective if they get hit by the internet usage question.

My wife is visiting Russia now and I think she is paying something in the $20-$30 range for a month of unlimited access via a dongle. No special deal - just from the phone kiosk across the street.

Note to guys reading: If you get an email from her "agency" telling you she cannot communicate further unless you send money for translation - that is a scam. Offer to arrange your own translator and watch them melt away...... 

Offline Larry

« Reply #24 on: July 16, 2011, 07:01:49 PM »
Manny, You're right: specifics are important here; I think it was $30 for her to get unlimited internet access for a month.