The World's #1 Russian, Ukrainian & Eastern European Discussion & Information Forum - RUA!

This Is the Premier Discussion Forum on the Net for Information and Discussion about Russia, Ukraine, Eastern Europe and the Former Soviet Union. Discuss Culture, Politics, Travelling, Language, International Relationships and More. Chat with Travellers, Locals, Residents and Expats. Ask and Answer Questions about Travel, Culture, Relationships, Applying for Visas, Translators, Interpreters, and More. Give Advice, Read Trip Reports, Share Experiences and Make Friends.

Author Topic: So my saga begins  (Read 4705 times)

Offline MichaelSwe

• Trips: 1-5
So my saga begins
« on: January 06, 2014, 06:00:59 AM »
My story so far and its still short, but i plan to make it longer.

I just found this site a couple of Days ago and the information and experience is very for newbies like me, my English isn't perfect but bear with me.

Mid December i started looking into the possibility to start dating a woman from the east, no specific country in mind. I registered on 3 diffrent sites and got way too much mail that i even could imagine. age range from 19-40 and all looking very beautiful.

I consider my self pretty smart,i have all the tools i need online to see if its a scam or not. of course some are just copy & paste to me and many others so it can be hard from time to time to see which one is authentic or not.

Started the typical e-mail Exchange, (no i dont pay 6$ to open a letter) with a few woman that had an intresting profile/picture. the first 3 i actually added on Yahoo oddly enough had moved away from Russia and lived in Ghana (alarm bell) but my search continued. I received alot of long mails and Pictures from several more, to bad the Pictures they sent was about 3-4 years old due to the timestamp in the Picture.

So i kept looking, narrowing down to woman that actually have Skype nothing less, chatted with a few, some dident add me back after the request etc etc.

But then i found her! (ye ye i know, love at first sight etc) but its really working out well despite the difference of 5 hours (Sweden - Kazakhstan)

She is fluent in English so we dont have a language barrier, we speak everyday on Skype with cam and sometimes w/o. and i really didn't want to wait any longer to see her so i asked if we could meet halfway. And she agreed so we are meeting in Kiev in 1 month on neutral grounds for 4 days. And just to prove that I'm serious I'm studying Russian every day for 30 mins up to 2 hours, its hard but doable. just out of respect for her and the daughter/family.

I'm certain that things will work out between us, we are pretty much on the same level. And i have a really good feeling about this, and i'm rarely wrong. ;D

I will make another update after the Kiev trip, wish us luck guys!

Ask away if you want to add something.

/Michael

Offline patagonie

• Real life is meeting and kissing
  • Spouses Country: ukraine
  • Trips: 20+
Re: So my saga begins
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2014, 07:11:34 AM »
My story so far and its still short, but i plan to make it longer.

I just found this site a couple of Days ago and the information and experience is very for newbies like me, my English isn't perfect but bear with me.

Mid December i started looking into the possibility to start dating a woman from the east, no specific country in mind. I registered on 3 diffrent sites and got way too much mail that i even could imagine. age range from 19-40 and all looking very beautiful.

I consider my self pretty smart,i have all the tools i need online to see if its a scam or not. of course some are just copy & paste to me and many others so it can be hard from time to time to see which one is authentic or not.

Started the typical e-mail Exchange, (no i dont pay 6$ to open a letter) with a few woman that had an intresting profile/picture. the first 3 i actually added on Yahoo oddly enough had moved away from Russia and lived in Ghana (alarm bell) but my search continued. I received alot of long mails and Pictures from several more, to bad the Pictures they sent was about 3-4 years old due to the timestamp in the Picture.

So i kept looking, narrowing down to woman that actually have Skype nothing less, chatted with a few, some dident add me back after the request etc etc.

But then i found her! (ye ye i know, love at first sight etc) but its really working out well despite the difference of 5 hours (Sweden - Kazakhstan)

She is fluent in English so we dont have a language barrier, we speak everyday on Skype with cam and sometimes w/o. and i really didn't want to wait any longer to see her so i asked if we could meet halfway. And she agreed so we are meeting in Kiev in 1 month on neutral grounds for 4 days. And just to prove that I'm serious I'm studying Russian every day for 30 mins up to 2 hours, its hard but doable. just out of respect for her and the daughter/family.

I'm certain that things will work out between us, we are pretty much on the same level. And i have a really good feeling about this, and i'm rarely wrong. ;D

I will make another update after the Kiev trip, wish us luck guys!

Ask away if you want to add something.

/Michael

Poker situation
Problem one : who is going to pay her travel ? Does she expect you to help her ? How are you solving this problem ?
Problem two : Do you know the total round trip time needed from your door to her ? How far does she live from the sweden's embassy ? Why you focus on a girl so far ?
Problem three : What are you going to do if after one hour in Kiev if she don't like you ?

Offline Bruce Lee

• Spouses Country: Russia
  • Trips: 5-10
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2014, 07:37:44 AM »
Simple question - why Kiev ???
If you get a minute check out Bruce's TR - Its not quite finished, however its still a pretty good read IMHO.

If I win the lottery I'll finish it this week if not I'll probably complete it when I retire!!! Until then I hope you enjoy the story so far!

Offline MichaelSwe

« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2014, 08:07:22 AM »
1. She pays for the trip her self, i pay for the hotel.
2. 9-12H total flight time to get there, no Embassy there or here. Gut feeling.
3. The feelings are Mutual, so i dont see that as a problem.

Kiev is more convenient since neither of us need a Visa for the visit, and its kinda between the countrys.

She got a good job, house, car etc, Money isent an issue here.

Offline Eduard

• Commercial member
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2014, 10:46:49 AM »
Yes, Kiev is a good place to meet with the women from Belarus, Russia and Moldova. We have done this many times with my guys. Normally we rent 2 apartments - one for us and the other one for the women. It's a very good, effective strategy for the first meeting IMO.

Offline sparky114

« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2014, 11:04:36 AM »
Yes, Kiev is a good place to meet with the women from Belarus, Russia and Moldova. We have done this many times with my guys. Normally we rent 2 apartments - one for us and the other one for the women. It's a very good, effective strategy for the first meeting IMO.

Hope you remember to change the bed sheet in between ladies  ;D
Today is only one day in a life of happiness

Mark

Offline patagonie

• Real life is meeting and kissing
  • Spouses Country: ukraine
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2014, 03:33:02 PM »
1. She pays for the trip her self, i pay for the hotel.
2. 9-12H total flight time to get there, no Embassy there or here. Gut feeling.
3. The feelings are Mutual, so i dont see that as a problem.

Kiev is more convenient since neither of us need a Visa for the visit, and its kinda between the countrys.

She got a good job, house, car etc, Money isent an issue here.

1/ Hotel is not the best, the best IMHO would have been to rent a flat with two bedrooms, in Ukraine it means 3 rooms. With the lady's agreement. It is nice that she has some means. A car means that she is in the top 10 % minimum already.
2/ No Embassy ????????????????????????????? And how are you going to make document in the future ? It is time to wake up guy, you are dating internationaly, you are not buying a souvenir in a resort. It is a marriage in 99,9 % of case at the end with a FSU woman.
3/ At this stage there are no "feelings" yet. Don't misunderstand your fantasy and your dreams with love.

Offline MichaelSwe

« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2014, 11:22:31 AM »
Quote from: Pat
1/ Hotel is not the best, the best IMHO would have been to rent a flat with two bedrooms, in Ukraine it means 3 rooms. With the lady's agreement. It is nice that she has some means. A car means that she is in the top 10 % minimum already.
2/ No Embassy ????????????????????????????? And how are you going to make document in the future ? It is time to wake up guy, you are dating internationaly, you are not buying a souvenir in a resort. It is a marriage in 99,9 % of case at the end with a FSU woman.
3/ At this stage there are no "feelings" yet. Don't misunderstand your fantasy and your dreams with love.

Well the hotel wasent my idea, i know that i can rent a flat. The hotel did look ok, we only need to sleep there.
Yes there is no embassy in either country, UK for me and Latvia for her i Think. If there is a will there is a way.
Well of course i know that i'm not "buying a souvenir", yes marriage is what im after. Dont confuse me with stupid/retard like you are implying.

You are some what right on the last Point i'll give you that, but still its a great feeling. And yes i will prove you wrong, it will just take some time.

Offline Manny

« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2014, 11:51:39 AM »
Latvia is in the EU, so she will need a Schengen visa to go there.

Moscow has a Swedish embassy. She probably doesn't need a visa for there.
Trip Reports: Links to my travels in Russia, Estonia, North Korea, South Korea, China and the US are >>here<<

Look what the American media makes some people believe:
Putin often threatens to strike US with nuclear weapons.

Offline Herrie

• Tech Group
  • Trips: 10-20
« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2014, 12:42:00 PM »
Ehm I found this with 5 seconds on Google, Sweden DOES have an embassy in Astana! http://www.swedenabroad.com/en-GB/Embassies/Astana/Contact/Embassy--Consulates/

Offline Herrie

• Tech Group
« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2014, 12:50:10 PM »
Seems you can get a single entry visa from UK embassy by sending your application and payment to them. No invitation is required :-)

http://www.kazembassy.org.uk/visa_information.html

Offline MichaelSwe

« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2014, 10:15:38 AM »
Seems you can get a single entry visa from UK embassy by sending your application and payment to them. No invitation is required :-)

http://www.kazembassy.org.uk/visa_information.html

Yes thats the one i found, when i used google :)

But hey time will tell, but when i play poker and get a good hand i go all in  ;D

Offline Anteros

« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2014, 07:04:14 PM »
Hi Michael,

Welcome to the forum!  Do not mind some guys if they seem to be too direct, they have your best wishes in mind.

It will be great to read your trip report, I hope you and the lady have a great time.

Be careful what you wish for, you might get it.

Offline MichaelSwe

« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2014, 11:30:59 AM »
Well it dident go as planed by far  :laugh:

She got sick the very first nigh we got there, and me the second night, she decided to fly back home. So i endured 1 day alone at the hotel (thanks you VPN and Netflix)

There was no spark between us during the few hours we met, but thats ok. I will have something to remember :-)

So my next trip is to Moscow in early April, i will get back to you guys on that one too.

Michael

Offline Dogsoldier

• Supporting Member
  • Spouses Country: Україна
« Reply #14 on: February 17, 2014, 12:53:54 PM »
Sorry the saga ended so quickly.  :-\

Is Moscow going to be another saga?

Offline vendelo

• Spouses Country: USA/Hong Kong
« Reply #15 on: February 17, 2014, 01:14:20 PM »

She got sick the very first nigh we got there, and me the second night, she decided to fly back home. So i endured 1 day alone at the hotel (thanks you VPN and Netflix)

There was no spark between us during the few hours we met, but thats ok. I will have something to remember :-)

So my next trip is to Moscow in early April, i will get back to you guys on that one too.

Michael

I am sorry to hear it didn't work out. I have a couple of questions to ask out of curiosity. When you communicated on Skype, was there chemistry? Did you understand each other, make each laugh, et cetera? And when you met in person, describe your expectations. Were they high or low or....?

Offline lonedrake

« Reply #16 on: February 17, 2014, 03:58:22 PM »

Michael

Thanks for the update. It takes guts to come back and tell about a trip that went south.  I think it was a good idea to just make a short trip(4 days)

Offline Donhollio

« Reply #17 on: February 17, 2014, 09:41:22 PM »
 It happens. One glance, a drink with a few minutes conversation, and its a lost cause. Seems you've bounced back, and are forging ahead, its all good.  :thumbsup:

I'm not going to enquire into what your correspondence was like before you both met, due to the reason that I have had my share of visiting one and no romance came from those long flights to her city. All the best in the future, this pursuit is a numbers game, meet enough girls and one will be a keeper, eventually.

Offline Justmd

« Reply #18 on: February 17, 2014, 10:37:51 PM »
I still don't understand that she is from Kazakhstan and meeting in Kiev? That is odd...would have drawn red flags from the start for me.
In the future I would suggest spending more time on Skype and personal email sharing pictures and video chat before booking a flight.

Offline MichaelSwe

« Reply #19 on: February 18, 2014, 11:19:54 AM »
No visa requirement for neither of us in Ukraine, and it was the shortest way for both of us.
We spoke over Skype every day, she had no trouble with English and neither do i. of course minor stuff but nothing serious.

Yes there was some laughter and some Chemistry, (so i thought) at least :-) Yes i guess my expectations were pretty high to begin with.

I´m soon gonna book my tickets to Moscow to meet another lady for 4 Days, we have only been chatting so far due to some incidents she had over Skype with a few men who only wanted to see her breasts...

But we are chatting every day and been sending pics. But we are going to Skype before i see her in Moscow of course.

And i will get back to you guys on that trip also, lucky me living in Sweden, the travel time is only 2 hours :-)

Michael

Offline vendelo

• Spouses Country: USA/Hong Kong
« Reply #20 on: February 18, 2014, 01:32:06 PM »

And i will get back to you guys on that trip also, lucky me living in Sweden, the travel time is only 2 hours :-)

Michael

2 hours? Wow, I am jealous.

Good luck to you and keep us posted. I think we all want you to succeed.

Offline Justmd

« Reply #21 on: February 18, 2014, 10:04:17 PM »
No visa requirement for neither of us in Ukraine, and it was the shortest way for both of us.
We spoke over Skype every day, she had no trouble with English and neither do i. of course minor stuff but nothing serious.

Yes there was some laughter and some Chemistry, (so i thought) at least :-) Yes i guess my expectations were pretty high to begin with.

I´m soon gonna book my tickets to Moscow to meet another lady for 4 Days, we have only been chatting so far due to some incidents she had over Skype with a few men who only wanted to see her breasts...

But we are chatting every day and been sending pics. But we are going to Skype before i see her in Moscow of course.

Michael

Seems you have clearly moved on to another adventure and good for you! But again I would offer that you slow it down and suggest to her to spend more time on Skype with video chats, e-mails and sharing pictures...call it a poker face, tell her you are serious in looking for a life long partner and want to be sure of you both before making the journey to visit with her. If she has a problem with this then don't go......

Also,I have never heard of a woman from Kazakhstan who would travel to Kiev to meet a man. That is a lot of cash for travel.

You listed the age's of 19-40...what is your age?

Online AvHdB

• Spouses Country: Ukraine, Kiev
« Reply #22 on: February 19, 2014, 12:48:48 AM »
Michael, For many Skype works well and if one party is in North America it is for some the only way to build a relationship. But it is no substitute to spending time with the other person.

Also,I have never heard of a woman from Kazakhstan who would travel to Kiev to meet a man. That is a lot of cash for travel.

One woman traveled from Moscow to meet me in Kiev. For what it is worth there are direct flights between Kiev and Alamaty and they cost is some €350 for a direct round trip. The choice to meet in Kiev for some one from Sweden makes allot of sense. The Swedish fans from Euro 2012 created allot of good will in Ukraine. Av

“If you aren't in over your head, how do you know how tall you are?” T.S. Eliot

Offline Justmd

« Reply #23 on: February 19, 2014, 10:31:31 PM »
Michael, For many Skype works well and if one party is in North America it is for some the only way to build a relationship. But it is no substitute to spending time with the other person.

One woman traveled from Moscow to meet me in Kiev. For what it is worth there are direct flights between Kiev and Alamaty and they cost is some €350 for a direct round trip. The choice to meet in Kiev for some one from Sweden makes allot of sense. The Swedish fans from Euro 2012 created allot of good will in Ukraine. Av

This evening while driving home from the grocery store...

Me - " Do you find it odd to ask a man to meet a woman from Kazakhstan in Kiev?"
Wife- " Why would I ask this?"
Me- " Just wondering what your thoughts are "
Wife- " Makes no sense and why would a woman want to leave her country to visit with a man she does not know? "
Me- " I agree"
Me- " And the cost involved to travel,too much?"
Wife- " Da baby,women from Kazak are not able to afford such travel or would be willing to spend for travel"

Offline Justmd

« Reply #24 on: February 19, 2014, 10:36:58 PM »

You failed to mention I traveled to her 6 times before we married.

Registration