The World's #1 Russian, Ukrainian & Eastern European Discussion & Information Forum - RUA!

This Is the Premier Discussion Forum on the Net for Information and Discussion about Russia, Ukraine, Eastern Europe and the Former Soviet Union. Discuss Culture, Politics, Travelling, Language, International Relationships and More. Chat with Travellers, Locals, Residents and Expats. Ask and Answer Questions about Travel, Culture, Relationships, Applying for Visas, Translators, Interpreters, and More. Give Advice, Read Trip Reports, Share Experiences and Make Friends.

Author Topic: Russia, Belarus or Ukraine  (Read 4346 times)

Offline Danchik

• Russia Guru
  • Trips: Resident
Re: Russia, Belarus or Ukraine
« Reply #25 on: May 27, 2013, 12:44:39 PM »
I can understand why Belarus would be considered closed due to the visa requirement and also the requirement to register with the apartment owner within five business days.  However, this is the same in Russia, so why would you consider Belarus closed and not Russia.  I would say that based on visa requirements they are both closed societies.
What exactly do you mean by "closed" society?

You can't base a society solely on its visa requirements. FYI, It's 7 business days in Russia, not five. This means you can actually come for up to 11 days without having to register your visa if you work it right. Even if you stay longer you can register a visa quite easily nowadays for 1000 rubles or less.

Take whatever advice you've received that is useful to your situation, start looking for a woman and worry about the logistics later. IOW, have a plan and put it to work. It won't matter if she's in Belarus, Russia or Ukraine because you'll be able to go there and see her.
When it is dark enough, men see the stars.

Offline Isthmus

• Spouses Country: Kazakhstan
  • Trips: 1-5
« Reply #26 on: June 01, 2013, 10:34:45 PM »
I don't understand why a visa would discourage people from travelling somewhere?  ???  If you can stump for a flight and accomodation then the visa is just a small incidental expense. Oh, and Aussies need a visa to go to Ukraine and its actually quicker to get a visa to Russia or Kazakhstan.

Offline Ladine

« Reply #27 on: June 02, 2013, 12:57:40 AM »
hello Omega1982 it is sad to read the story of your trip to Belarus. But I will say that not all are equally so. Yes, I must admit. Many women do not trust Turkish men and if you're a bit like a Muslim view. you may encounter hostility. because Turkish men are very hot and when people come to our country are making a lot of arrogance in the field of sexual harassment. Therefore, such an attitude. But .... I do not know how to Belarus - in Ukraine but you can always find the girls themselves for growth. Of course women look at the difference in age and growth. but ... We have a lot of girls who just will not talk about it. they just politely leave. If you only as a tourist? this problem does not exist. Any help you find the sights and history. But for a serious relationship. Our girls do not like when you arrive not only to her but have a few more meetings to alternatives. So it is natural for you to be such an attitude. Do not get discouraged. and ask more people in our countries. and you will find happiness.
smart will learn - a fool would teach.
Никогда не оправдывайся, если ты невиновен. Если в вас бросают грязью, к вам может и не долететь. А руки того, кто это делает, останутся в грязи. Люблю вас всех.

Offline Isthmus

« Reply #28 on: June 02, 2013, 01:04:28 AM »
A UW lady I dated last year had a very strong antipathy towards Turks. I think the phrase used was 'they are wild savages'. She did holiday there on one occasion, maybe she had a bad experience(s)? I never pressed the issue. My personal experiences with Turks have been positive - warm, friendly folk  :)

Offline Ladine

« Reply #29 on: June 02, 2013, 02:48:44 AM »
Isthmus I believe that many Turks are very honest and hospitable. But in our country does not come quite decent man. and our boys showed it on YouTube. No sex tourism.

the fight against sex tourists ( This turkey man)

that's because of such dishonorable men, and we treat the Turks are not very friendly. And other countries, too, sometimes.

therefore Omega1982 so we do not perceive the relationship of men who come to us with a list of three or more women for the meeting. for us is not a serious man.
Никогда не оправдывайся, если ты невиновен. Если в вас бросают грязью, к вам может и не долететь. А руки того, кто это делает, останутся в грязи. Люблю вас всех.

Offline Ladine

« Reply #30 on: June 02, 2013, 04:32:37 AM »
I can understand why Belarus would be considered closed due to the visa requirement and also the requirement to register with the apartment owner within five business days.  However, this is the same in Russia, so why would you consider Belarus closed and not Russia.  I would say that based on visa requirements they are both closed societies.
What exactly do you mean by "closed" society?

You can't base a society solely on its visa requirements. FYI, It's 7 business days in Russia, not five. This means you can actually come for up to 11 days without having to register your visa if you work it right. Even if you stay longer you can register a visa quite easily nowadays for 1000 rubles or less.

Take whatever advice you've received that is useful to your situation, start looking for a woman and worry about the logistics later. IOW, have a plan and put it to work. It won't matter if she's in Belarus, Russia or Ukraine because you'll be able to go there and see her.

:thumbsup:

Offline Ladine

« Reply #31 on: June 02, 2013, 04:42:50 AM »
It's written above what you need mate, ignore the country and speak to the girls. Find someone who captures your imagination whilst being honest enough to know whats realistic.

:thumbsup:

Offline Isthmus

« Reply #32 on: June 02, 2013, 07:11:43 AM »
When I first stumbled into the FSU dating pool last year I only spoke to ladies from Ukraine, the only rationale being was that at the time I planned to go to Euro 2012 in Poland & Ukraine.

Now, for the second time around in 2013, wiser for the experience and being more focused I decided to totally ignore where the lady is from, and just talk to the person, I communicated with ladies from Vladivostok, to Chelyabinsk, to Dushanbe, to Yerevan, to Moscow to Donetsk to Vilnius and to Bucharest ... I decided that I couldn't care less where she was from, more what she had to say. That is the only sensible policy I say.  :)

Offline Omega1982

• Spouses Country: Not determined / USA
  • Trips: 5-10
« Reply #33 on: June 03, 2013, 09:30:23 PM »
Thank you for the information Ladine, it is good to get a local female perspective.  In the future I will take the advice given to me by another member that recommended a pin with a cuban flag and I already wear a small gold cross on a chain.  I also always tell people I am cuban american.  Regarding the list, the complete contrary was what happened this year.  I did not think my plans with Elizabeth would fail and they did.  That was when I re joined the site and found other alternatives.  I never disclosed I had other alternatives.  However the alternatives were short lived and I did not have time to establish solid communication.  I think the ideal is to have several months of solid communication.  I completely agree with one of the male members that stated that the more serious and mature women are over 30 and with a child.  I will take this route going forward.  I am 30 years old and I will seek between 28 and 32 with a child.  I will therefore avoid the bar hopping 24 year olds which I was unsuccessful with.  Regarding the issue of Italy being more touristic, I did encounter this, but I may add that I have been to 12 countries in Europe, and all of Europe is beautiful and woth visiting.  I want to visit every European country in my lifetime.  I have been to 23 countries in the world, 12 in Europe.  I find every European nation and culture fascinating, but I am a history buff. 

Offline Orchid

• Supporting Member
  • Spouses Country: USA
« Reply #34 on: April 08, 2014, 03:06:32 AM »
Hello gentlemen: 

I just returned from Minsk, Belarus.  Went there to meet a woman I had been corresponding with and after twenty hours together she got numerous phone calls on her cell phone and she finally admitted she has someone in Minsk.  I was devastated.  I do not speak the language.  Luckily I was able to get help from a couple members from couch surfing site which helps tourists.  I already had rented an apartment in Minsk but I needed help with the language and customs.  I tried to make the most of my trip.  I love to travel, Belarus is the 23rd country I have visited and I am 30 years old.  I am from Miami, my family is cuban.  Many people in Minsk thought I was Turkish and i got some negative responses from people.  I also noticed women in Belarus place a lot of importance on the man's height.  I am not very tall at all.  I renewed my membership on one site and went on a few dates during my trip but in the end came back to Miami alone.  I also had a couple of backups I had been writing to from Miami,.  The women I met told me they are not interested in long distance relationships.  Most of the women I wrote to online in Minsk did not even reply.  All in all it was a pretty good trip.  I went to numerous cities, went to the opera, ballet, took wonderful photographs.  However, it is interesting to note that I did not see a single american on my trip.  I only saw one Frenchman.  I met a local woman that told me this whole overseas dating has decreased significantly.  I also noticed Minsk has become an expensive city, and I live in Miami therefore I am accustomed to expensive prices.  So basically my question is now what?  I like the idea of a soviet wife.  I think soviet women are elegant, beautiful, intelligent and very cultured.  From a tourist perspective, Belarus has a small number of tourist destinations, all of which I have seen.  So, I ask myself should I go to Ukraine or Russia or give Belarus another try.  I have read about the scammers in Ukraine and given that I am new at this and do not speak the language, I think Ukraine might not be a good idea.  From my limited experience, Belarusian women are not very much interested in re locating to America.  I know the FSU has developed and changed dramatically, and less and less people are interested in re locating to America.  Any advice?  Thank you.
Looks like you are experienced.........

Registration