The World's #1 Russian, Ukrainian & Eastern European Discussion & Information Forum - RUA!

This Is the Premier Discussion Forum on the Net for Information and Discussion about Russia, Ukraine, Eastern Europe and the Former Soviet Union. Discuss Culture, Politics, Travelling, Language, International Relationships and More. Chat with Travellers, Locals, Residents and Expats. Ask and Answer Questions about Travel, Culture, Relationships, Applying for Visas, Translators, Interpreters, and More. Give Advice, Read Trip Reports, Share Experiences and Make Friends.

Author Topic: New Book: The Russian Bride Guide  (Read 108162 times)

Offline Manny

• Spouses Country: Russia
  • Trips: 20+
New Book: The Russian Bride Guide
« on: June 14, 2008, 01:32:08 PM »
This initial topic post was updated and revised in January 2014.

A beautiful, slim, good-hearted woman as a wife is just a dream for most men. How hard is it to marry one from your country? An educated one? One with good traditional family values? One who doesn't think she is god's gift? One a few years younger than you? Very difficult.

Russian, Ukrainian and FSU girls fill the gap that Western wannabe "sex and the city" women created. The FSU has a surplus of good, decent, beautiful, slim women just seeking a good, sober and secure husband.

If you want to win the heart of one of these beauties, you need the full ABC from people who know Russian society and the motivation of the women you can meet there. It can be a minefield out there.

My name is Stuart Smith. I am an English guy married to a Russian woman for the last half decade. We have a young daughter together. We live between England and the former Soviet Union. My wife and I are the authors of The Russian Bride Guide. Our photo is on the avatar to your left. Olga also features on our book cover below.

I first went to the former Soviet Union back in 1998 as a tourist. After checking out the amazing women there, I was back there exactly one week later sniffing around. That was the start of a long, steep learning curve for me. That learning curve culminated in my marriage to Olga, my lovely Russian wife, in 2006, some eight years later (by then, I knew what I was doing).

My personal journey and experiences is what prompted me - with my wife - to write our book. This is not an e-book; this is a paper book. There is no e-book. The Russian Bride Guide is currently the best-selling book on Amazon in this genre. It has been since 2008.

My wife Olga is a multi-lingual Russian woman with two degrees in psychology and personal experience running a small introduction agency herself. Before marrying, she was a psychology lecturer at a University in Samara, Russia. She has extensive experience both helping women from Russia, Ukraine and Belarus seeking foreign men, and working with men from the USA, Canada, Australia, New Zealand and Europe seeking an FSU wife. She still offers her service for translation and telephone service via our website Ladagirl.com

From time to time, the media seek out an "expert" on the whole Russian "mail order bride" phenomenon. Often times, they end up finding me. As a consequence of that, our book was selected as a required text book for the 2010 spring term Sociology course at the Wentworth Institute of Technology in Boston, Massachusetts. We were also involved in a Cambridge University anthropology study on Russian women marrying Western men headed by Dr Ssorin-Chaikov. The Russian Bride Guide, together with author interviews (in English and Russian languages) and some material from our websites, was used in an exhibition in Moscow. Additionally, I have been invited on to many radio shows. Here are a few stations I have featured on:

• KCEO 1000AM San Diego, USA.
  • KOA 850 Denver, USA.
  • 94.5 FM "The Bull" Toronto, Canada.
  • WOCM FM 98.1 Maryland, USA.
  • WWPR 1490, Florida, USA.
  • KSDP 830 AM, Alaska, USA.
  • WXBR 1460, Boston, MA, USA.
  • Radio Colorado 1060 AM, Denver, USA.
  • WJBC 1230 AM, Illinois USA.
  • WNJC 1360 AM, Philadelphia, USA.
  • KSEN 1150 AM, Montana, USA.
  • C Fax & Kool FM 107.3, Victoria, BC, Canada.
  • Recently featured on “Your Time with Kim Iverson,” an Entercom Communications’ syndicated night show based out of Austin, TX. Broadcasting to eight cities: Portland (KRSK), Denver (KALC), Austin (KAMX), Wichita (KFBZ), Memphis (WMC), Indianapolis (WZPL), Buffalo (WTSS), and Norfolk (WPTE).
  • WZTK 101.1FM, syndicated to various cities from North Carolina, USA.
  • KOMP 92.3FM, Las Vegas, USA.
  • KYSM Country 103.5FM, Minnesota, USA.
  • KXRA 1490AM, Minneapolis, USA.
  • KKSM 130AM, San Juan, California, USA.
  • Twister 93.3 FM, Omaha, Nebraska, USA.
  • WNOR 99 FM, Norfolk, Virginia, USA.
  • WWWI 95.9 FM, Brainerd, Minnesota, USA.
  • "Sebastion in the morning" on WCCC 106.9 FM, Hartford, CT.
  • "The Mancow Muller Show" broadcast from Chicago and syndicated all over the US.

I want to share with you some opinions of readers of our book from this forum. You can click the quote links to go to the original comment.

Any way, I have just finished reading the very informative Russian Bride Guide.

The last one I read was The Russian Bride Guide. It is what brought me to this website. I liked it a great deal. Several parts were contrary to other books I had read, so I felt it to be the most accurate picture. It  feels very real and honest. By the time I read it, some sections were not interesting to me (age differences, visa requirements, etc) because I had already read so stinking much on those things, but if a guy was to pick only 1 book, this is the one.

It's just that in my observation and estimation the book pretty much encapsulates the situation and is chock full of good advice etc.

I have just finished reading the Russian Bride Guide and thought I'd join this website which is owned by the Author.
There's some useful tips in the book if anyone's thinking of reading it. I'm going out to SPB on the 22-07-09 to meet a young lady so wish me luck.

I have read the book Russian Bride Guide twice. This was very informative. I am now beginning my search.

I, thank God, read the book "The Russian Bride Guide" and that is how I found this site and all of you great guys on it.

and the Russian Bride Guide also has proven to be a good investment.  No question that this has pointed me in appropriate directions and steered me away from serious pitfalls.

I even purchased a copy of the “Russian Bride Guide” it is a wonderful book with a lot of great information in it.

I just read "Russian Bride Guide."  This site was listed in the back.
An excellent and informative book.

This book is the best resource I have seen for finding a wife in the FSU.  And apparently I'm not the only person to have this opinion.  I've found a lot of excellent advice in the book, including one piece of advice that my Belarussian fiancee said was very important to her forming a good opinion of me.

After seveal months of reseach on line in forums (like this one) and other resources such as e-books I purchased, I have to strongly recommend this book.  It not only confirms a lot of other material, it puts it in one place to read.  I did find some things that did not apply to my circumstances but overall it is an excellent resource.

PS: I'm not sucking up but I got the Bride Guide in the mail Monday. Fascinating good read. I couldn't put it down and finished it in one 10 hour sitting. No sugar coated eBook there!

I got a copy of "Russian Bride Guide". Great book! Can't say enough about how well it's written and the content inside.  :thumbsup: Second is this website and the people I've spoken with in just a few days. Thank you for a great site and friendly welcome!  tiphat

I had often wondered why she wrote a certain way and expressed interest in selective dates. Thanks to Stuart's & Olga's book, I have a better understand of the content to her letters. One example would be her desire for me to visit on the 8th of March rather then the middle of March. The book provided the answer to that one.

Over 1000 eBayers agree........

If you are interested in a Russian or Ukrainian woman, our book is the only place to start!

You can read more reviews and order your copy right now by going to our web page here: The Russian Bride Guide.
Read a trip report from North Korea >>here<< - Read a trip report from South Korea, China and Hong Kong >>here<<

Look what the American media makes some people believe:
Putin often threatens to strike US with nuclear weapons.

Offline Manny

Re: New Book: The Russian Bride Guide
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2008, 09:07:25 AM »
Here, the topic continues.........

So at last, our book The Russian Bride Guide is finished and available. Sounds easy doesn’t it? Take a few of my musings that people told me were particularly helpful over the years as a foundation, add a heap of my wife’s opinions and experience, fill in the gaps and try to create a complete picture for the neophyte. Hmm, well it was a bit harder than that to create what I considered a fully rounded book. I was shocked that it actually takes almost as much time to edit it as to write it. Book editing is a long slow road. The publishing legalities take more time still; ISBN numbers, copyright stuff, cover design and all the secondary stuff like waiting for test copies, and latterly waiting for printers can be a bit of a drag. We are several months later than the intended launch date, but we got there in the end. The press release is here.

We have had the benefit of a few people here from the forum to assist us in some aspects. We have used two guys from here as editors, one of our Russian ladies as “bullshit detector” in the chapter entitled “What Russian women want” and a few other people as sounding boards on different aspects. One of our US visa experts checked the US section of my visa chapter, and one of our resident lawyers revised the legality of my IMBRA comments. To all the people here who have helped me with this project, can I take this opportunity to thank you very much.

The objective of the book is to educate the neophyte. The guy who thinks, “Hey these Russian girls look hot. I can get me a piece of this quite easily.” Maybe the guys who have been stiffed by corrupt agency translators and/or Fat Yuri already and did not figure out what was wrong or the guys who enter this endeavour with unrealistic expectations. These guys shall now be a rung or two further up the ladder when they are finished reading.

Buyers of the book are directed here to complete their education. So we can expect quite a few new members because of it. I hope you guys will encourage them and guide them toward success. New members will be dripping in over many months as the book finds its way into the many distribution channels that exist.

There are one or two people from here who have read it already; some because they were instrumental in the creation process and one or two whose experience and opinion I particularly value. One or two members have purchased a copy already since the website became live a few days ago and one got a copy in the 50,000th post competition. The members who have had sight already (or will in the next few days) are quite numerous and cover both sexes, all corners of the world and all experience levels. I am hopeful that they will write their opinions on this topic.

I thought it a good idea that any new folks or any of our many reading guests (who number many fold more than active members) see opinions about what they may buy before they actually do so.

On this thread, I also welcome guys who are book buyers, who have found this site because of the book. If you are a Russian Bride Guide buyer, and have just landed here, why not say hello?

Read a trip report from North Korea >>here<< - Read a trip report from South Korea, China and Hong Kong >>here<<

Offline shakespear

• Supporting Member
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2008, 10:59:41 AM »
There are one or two people from here who have read it already; some because they were instrumental in the creation process and one or two whose experience and opinion I particularly value.

I assume I fit in here   :innocent:

I've read about 1/2 the book.  I think it is excellent so far.  It is factual without being offensive.  It's helpful without being overbearing.  It is instructive without being condescending.  I haven't read anything so far that I think is bad or unwise advice.  It basically says pretty much what I'd say if I had the time, patience or creative ability to write a book myself.  IMHO it is the BEST book on this topic that I have read, and I've read just about all of 'em. 

While detractors might suggest you can get much of the same information for free on the various lists and newsgroups dedicated to this topic, I think the price of the book is certainly worth getting the correct information condensed in one easy to read package without having to wade through all the interference, deflections, off-topic posts and flame wars such groups & lists tend to attract.

I don't know the price, but venture to opine that it would be a wise investment for any person considering this marriage option.  I'd highly recommend that such men invest in this book and read it from cover-to-cover before they even look at their first agency or free-dating website. 

In fact, I'd make the motion that it would be a worthwhile list requirement for any new member or neophyte who is just starting his search to read the book before being allowed to make a first post.  It would provide a well reasoned common ground and and save a ton of bandwidth in repetitive answers to the same basic questions.      
"If you obey all the rules, you miss all the fun" - Katharine Hepburn

Offline Olga_Mouse

• Trips: Resident
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2008, 11:37:18 AM »
As I finished reading the book yesterday  :reading:, Manny has invited me to write something in this thread.

So… what can I say?  :innocent: Informative, funny, easy to read (even for someone who's not a native English speaker).

I’m not the right person to evaluate this book as an information source – as I’m “from the other planet” than the author and the target audience. But, as this book gives answers to the questions that I keep seeing on all the RW-related forums as long as read those forums, I guess it really IS informative and useful.

Definitely funny – not as much as some of Manny’s forum posts or trip reports, though! But that’s understandable, as on the forums people DO know each other to the certain degree, and for a guy who buys this book at the airport Stuart J. Smith and Olga Maslova are COMPLETE strangers.

Easy to read (which is actually incredibly rare when it goes about “user manuals”…). I’ve learned a dozen of new English words while reading  :king:

P.S. Oh, and how do you like “Visas” being chapter Nr.13?   :chuckle:
Leaving Russia is not an emigration, rather an evacuation.

Offline virgo1

« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2008, 11:50:54 AM »
Ive just ordered it! (some wags will say "about time!")
Just a pity its too late to have an interview with Ronnie Wood by Julie on the old age issue :chuckle:

Offline Cisco

« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2008, 04:43:07 PM »
I am one of the forum members who was fortunate enough to receive an early copy from Manny.  This book is excellent.  The writing is fluid; the presentation is logical and the content is exceptionally useful.  Manny should be very pleased with his handiwork.  And men at virtually any stage of their search would be well-advised to buy a copy and read it carefully, taking the advice to heart.  In one single source there is now a wealth of current and useful information that will allow any man to avoid virtually all the pitfalls and take all the right steps for a successful relationship with a FSUW.  I'm impressed! :)

Offline Ward_Cleaver

• Trips: 1-5
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2008, 10:16:11 PM »
The objective of the book is to educate the neophyte.  Buyers of the book are directed here to complete their education.

So are you saying that I shouldn't have bought this book because I am already here?   :chuckle:

Offline mendeleyev

« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2008, 03:30:00 AM »
From The Mendeleyev Journal:

There is simply no question that the author of "Russian Bride Guide" has come into his own as a writer.  Along with his talented wife as coauthor, the book offers the pleasant experience of reading something which flows so smoothly and is so easy to absorb, that it is matched only by the breadth and wealth of information for the reader.

As the book points out, "There are opinions by the ill-informed....truth in the reports of scam victims....and fairytale endings posted on various internet sites..."  The strength of the book lies in the personal knowledge of the authors and their own international marriage.  "Russian Bride Guide" lives up to it's title and successfully guides sincere men in just about every step of such an endeavor, from where to start, choosing an agency and contact methods, communication tips and strategies, travel in Russia, and finally how to bring a lady home through the maze of various international immigration challenges.

My favourite section was the advice on culture, mindset and worldview which the authors made fun and interesting to read.  Even the advice on where to look in the FSU is very helpful and the author's experience over many trips by air and car give the reader a primer on how to handle flights, hotels, taxi's, restaurants, apartments and so many other travel essentials.

This reviewer also appreciated the depth in which the authors delved into the topic of how to help a new wife adjust to her new home in the West. This is a topic almost always ignored in similar books and the advice given is borne from both experience and wisdom.  The chapter on VISA's and immigration was broad but very brief and that is understandable given the ever-changing policies of various Western nations in regards to immigration.  That overview however is helpful to the man who is new to the process because it dispels several of the common myths and helps the reader form a correct understanding of how to proceed.

Readers should pay close attention to the book's finely tuned chapter on communication.  Communication is often a causality of language and cultural differences and even the method (technology) of communication employed is important.  In this regard the author's experience allows practical wisdom to be gleaned by the reader and again sets this book far apart from most other attempts.  And just because a woman "speaks" English doesn't at all mean that she understands English and the author's offer solutions for helping a lady become fluent in her new language.

By the same token the chapter entitled "Overcoming Language Barriers" fails to match the overall usefulness of the book and could have used a guide for common conversational expressions instead of trying to explain the differences between the English and Cyrillic alphabets.  As the subject pertains to Russian women, perhaps a guide on how to correctly pronounce things like common female names and/or major cities of the region would have been helpful to readers.

Without a doubt "Russian Bride Guide" is easy to read and worth recommending to others.  The authors have created something which genuinely offers the "inside scoop" that is crucial to a successful search and will show you how a girl from the former Soviet Union can make your life complete.  It is an absolute must-read for any man looking to Russia for a wife.

Mendeleyev 

Offline Olga_Mouse

« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2008, 05:37:22 AM »

Just a pity its too late to have an interview with Ronnie Wood by Julie on the old age issue :chuckle:

Virgo1, are you referring to this:  http://news.mail.ru/society/1877206     ???

Offline virgo1

« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2008, 12:58:26 PM »
Quote from: Olga Mouse
Virgo1, are you referring to this:  http://news.mail.ru/society/1877206     ???

da Olga, just the small matter of a 41 (roughly) year age difference ;D

Does any one know if this book is being printed in Russian or not??? I have a little friend in Ukraine who would like to read it???

Offline Olga_Mouse

« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2008, 01:17:15 PM »

Why should it be printed in Russian - if it's a book for English-speaking foreigners ABOUT Russians?

Offline virgo1

« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2008, 01:33:47 PM »
I was telling a lady I know from Ukraine about the fact that I was buying the book, I was telling her about my strategy to win her over!!  ;D and she asked if she could read it too!, she can speak good English, but struggles just a bit with reading and writing English! I suppose she is just curious! But I also know how the wheels came off for her in a previous relationship, and maybe this has something to do with her curiosity!

Offline southernman

« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2008, 12:31:42 AM »
one got a copy in the 50,000th post competition

Manny, you old fool.

You've broken rule number one, by giving a gift to an internet aquaintance you've never actually met.

Soon you'll come crying back to this forum to tell us that there is no 'Olga' behind OlgaMouse. You will tell us that Yuri has developed an substantial amount of intellect, and has not only infiltrated this forum, he's making positive, intelligent contributions to it.

Your naivity astonishes me.  :)

Offline Ward_Cleaver

« Reply #13 on: July 14, 2008, 12:33:14 PM »
Well, my copy just arrived in the mail today.  It's not at big as I had expected it to be.  (That's a comment you don't want to hear from a FSUW :)).  I'll start reading it tonight and I'm sure I'll have comments and questions about the things I read.

Offline Manny

« Reply #14 on: July 15, 2008, 04:12:16 AM »
Soon you'll come crying back to this forum to tell us that there is no 'Olga' behind OlgaMouse.

Oh there is certainly an "Olga" behind Olga_Mouse.  ;D

Quote from: Ward
It's not at big as I had expected it to be.

Lets hope the Russian ladies dont say that to you Ward.  :)

At almost 59,000 words, it is exactly twice the size of the last one I read on the subject. Dimensions, margins and typeface size can easily be maniupulated to create a larger looking item. More important the content old boy.  :smileysherlock:

Offline tonton

• RIP
  • Trips: 5-10
« Reply #15 on: July 15, 2008, 10:54:53 PM »
Ok Manny,
Being off work this week with a slipped disc in the back has meant no mail has arrived to me via the office. My good wife stopped by and brought your book home  ;D

So, plenty of reading time in the next couple of days.....will give you, and all others, my thoughts soon. So far, so good!

Offline Donhollio

« Reply #16 on: July 19, 2008, 06:00:48 PM »
When I first looked at the book, I thought, "Damn, I have only read 3-4 other books this thick!"

With 200+ pages I wasn't too sure I would get reading it all, but soon found the the print layout was perfect! Easy to read and covers what I can see is all aspects of dating in the FSU.

Even though I have made a half dozen trips thus far, if I had a book like this prior to taking my first trip 5 years ago, I could of avoided some of the ensuing traps that awaited me.

I give it 4 Maple Leafs out of 5, had the author not made so many "bald" references, I would give it 5 Maple Leafs.  ;D

If you have yet to go; this book is a valuable resource.

Offline cufflinks

• Supporting Member
« Reply #17 on: July 19, 2008, 06:36:14 PM »
Manny:

Just did an Amazon search and got:  Your search ""Russian Bride Guide"" did not match any products.

Being a Yank I like to buy my books via Amazon - any plans releasing it there soon?

Cheers,

Mike "cufflinks"

Offline Manny

« Reply #18 on: July 19, 2008, 07:09:36 PM »
Manny:

Just did an Amazon search and got:  Your search ""Russian Bride Guide"" did not match any products.

Being a Yank I like to buy my books via Amazon - any plans releasing it there soon?

Cheers,

Mike "cufflinks"

It will be on Amazon, Barnes & Noble, Borders, Tesco, etc. in about six weeks. It is a slow process. From my site, it is $13 cheaper (with free shipping) than the official US retail price though. But I don't know what Amazon charge for shipping, it may even out.

Amazon ordered US copies might be printed in the US and may arrive slower at first. Amazon will only keep stock when they know they will sell it. Copies ordered from my site take about five days to the US, as I have physical stock. Amazon often don't, they have to rely on the local US distributor to fulfill orders at first.

Amazon will discount it from full retail until they sell a few, but after that they will hike it up a bit; and with shipping it will be as broad as long, it should still always remain marginally cheaper from my site though. My theory is if a few $ either way matter to you then stay at home and seek a local woman at the pastry counter in Wal-Mart.  ;D

The majority of sales up to now have been to the US and Canada. Only a handful to the UK. (Which is very suprising) What is more suprising is there have been a few sales to Italy, Holland, Belgium, Spain, Norway, Switzerland, Germany and Sweden, and one to Austria. The silent Europeans are seeking RW too!

Offline Link

« Reply #19 on: July 19, 2008, 08:22:05 PM »
Hi there Manny

I have a question

The book will be available in the near future as an e-book?

Meanwhile I will order the regular version of the book (I will PM for further details)

By the way I've used your translations services in ladagirl and I must say that I am completely satisfied with the results so far. Keep up the good work.

Offline Ward_Cleaver

« Reply #20 on: July 19, 2008, 10:56:12 PM »
From my site, it is $6 cheaper than the official US retail price

And you can probably get the author to autograph it for you.  (If you remember to request that.)

The book will be available in the near future as an e-book?

How about an audio book?  I'd volunteer to read it out load and record it for you if you want.  I've been told a number of times that I have a good "radio voice".

Offline Donhollio

« Reply #21 on: July 19, 2008, 11:33:31 PM »
But your from Texas, don't ya'll have a funny way with words ?   BTW I asked Manny to sign my book and he claims I never did.  :( I'm devastated.  Even Traci Lords signs her book  :)

Offline Manny

« Reply #22 on: July 20, 2008, 08:31:37 AM »
Will the book will be available in the near future as an e-book?

There are no plans for that yet, but I would not rule it out in the future. E-books are a different market to paper books really. The e-books I have seen already on this topic are not what I want my work to be associated with, if you catch my drift.  :)

I have yet to investigate this "Kindle" thing that seems to be taking off; the writers forums I read seem to be buzzing with it at the moment.

Beware of amateur e-books pedalled by the unscrupulous.

Offline TomT

• Trips: 10-20
« Reply #23 on: August 03, 2008, 09:36:02 PM »
When I first starting reading Manny's epic work, it needed an epic amount of work. Nonetheless, the content was sound and one is unlikely to go far wrong if he heeds the author's advice.

The book is a bit unusual in that the material presented is a concensus, rather than just one man's opinion. In fact, much of the wisdom contained therein is drawn (not copied, mind you) from a group of notable luminaries from old, forgotten and deleted forums of yore. Accordingly, every issue has been thoroughly analyzed, scrutinized and circumsized in the mother of all peer reviews.

The net result of this method is that there no silver bullets... and none are claimed. The readers are presented with a conservative, hype-free, low-risk approach to marital success with a Russian woman.

Offline tonton

• RIP
  • Trips: 5-10
« Reply #24 on: August 04, 2008, 04:21:15 AM »
I am in complete agreement with TomT about his assessment of Manny's book.

Reading it was like a summary of everything discussed on the RW boards over the few years I have been reading them, and it was amusing to see hidden references to various characters that have, and still, contribute to these boards (Don - you included!! :chuckle:).

That said, I completely endorse it (whatever that is worth as a publisher  :innocent:).

Registration