The World's #1 Russian, Ukrainian & Eastern European Discussion & Information Forum - RUA!

This Is the Premier Discussion Forum on the Net for Information and Discussion about Russia, Ukraine, Eastern Europe and the Former Soviet Union. Discuss Culture, Politics, Travelling, Language, International Relationships and More. Chat with Travellers, Locals, Residents and Expats. Ask and Answer Questions about Travel, Culture, Relationships, Applying for Visas, Translators, Interpreters, and More. Give Advice, Read Trip Reports, Share Experiences and Make Friends.

Author Topic: Slumba's Advice for American men on clothing  (Read 10466 times)

Offline sashathecat

• Spouses Country: Ukraine baby!
  • Trips: 5-10
Re: Slumba's Advice for American men on clothing
« Reply #25 on: September 08, 2013, 01:50:43 PM »
I noticed many men wearing "t-shirts" in Ukraine, including out in all the nightclubs except maybe one. It really just depends on the type of t-shirt. Is it a stylish brand name with a nice fitting pair of jeans? Is it a v-neck that fits well? Do you have the body to pull it off or are you hiding under a baggy t-shirt?

Online andrewfi

• Supporting Member
    • Articles About Almost Anything!
« Reply #26 on: September 08, 2013, 01:55:56 PM »
I noticed many men wearing "t-shirts" in Ukraine, including out in all the nightclubs except maybe one. It really just depends on the type of t-shirt. Is it a stylish brand name with a nice fitting pair of jeans? Is it a v-neck that fits well? Do you have the body to pull it off or are you hiding under a baggy t-shirt?

Common enough all over the place. However in respect of Mr Cowell I think Ant had a point. The guys in night clubs are not billionaires, but the ant would likely feel threatened by them all the same.
...everything ends always well; if it’s still bad, then it’s not the end!

Offline Anteros

• Trips: 1-5
« Reply #27 on: September 08, 2013, 02:35:14 PM »
At least Simon is funny, honest and intelligent in a good way.

Which is why millions around the world including myself still like him.
Be careful what you wish for, you might get it.

Offline Halo

« Reply #28 on: September 08, 2013, 02:55:16 PM »
He shtupped his best friend's wife, and she is now pregnant with his child.  Not exactly honest.
After the fall of communism, the biggest mistake Boris Yeltsin's regime made was not to disband the KGB altogether. Instead it changed its name to the FSB and, to many observers, morphed into a gangster organisation, eventually headed by master criminal Vladimir Putin. - Gerard Batten

Online B.B.

• Supporting Member
« Reply #29 on: September 08, 2013, 03:04:41 PM »
Generally speaking, nobody is going to mistake me (or most of the other WM here) for locals. 

I get mistaken for a local quite a lot. In that people ask me directions and address me in Russian without a thought.

Well, in truth, that happens to me quite a bit, no matter what country I'm in.  And for whatever reason, people ask me for directions to a bank.  Maybe I look like a banker?  I don't know if you ever read my first TR, but I was (hilariously) mistaken at various times, for being British, German and Danish...but never US  ;D

B/B
Saving the World, One Clue at a Time
If your religion insults my intelligence, don't be surprised when my intelligence insults your religion.

Offline Anteros

« Reply #30 on: September 08, 2013, 07:31:07 PM »
He shtupped his best friend's wife, and she is now pregnant with his child.  Not exactly honest.

I did not know about that particular situation.   :sick0012:

I was referring to his concise and honest statements to contestants on his shows.
Be careful what you wish for, you might get it.

Offline Millaa

• looking for a hero
  • Spouses Country: Hayshenway
« Reply #31 on: September 08, 2013, 07:35:32 PM »
Maybe I look like a banker? 

May be. If I'll see a guy in black pants and black shoes in hot summer day the first thing which come into mind - he is going to funerals  :innocent:
Скептический ум - страшное оружие с собственным счастьем

Offline Justmd

« Reply #32 on: September 08, 2013, 07:52:54 PM »
Nice post Slumba :thumbsup: Welcome back  tiphat
(Has the reverse culture shock still got you?  :chuckle: )

I would like to add that in the short summer season IMO and IMLE you can get away with a lot more casual attire. Example T-shirts and brand name trainers (God forbid!). Shorts still are not recommended, unless you are going swimming, banya or shashlyk  :nod:

While I visited with her in the summer months it was very causal attire.For me t-shirts, jeans ( AEO jeans) and comfortable shoes (leather Skechers) ...no shorts,no sandals!

She of course looked great. Winter visits is another story.

Offline AnfieldRiot

• Spouses Country: Russia
  • Trips: 10-20
« Reply #33 on: September 08, 2013, 09:28:13 PM »
I would like to add that in the short summer season IMO and IMLE you can get away with a lot more casual attire. Example T-shirts and brand name trainers (God forbid!). Shorts still are not recommended, unless you are going swimming, banya or shashlyk  :nod:

Cannot disagree more . . . . . . . . .

Wearing properly fitted knee length dress shorts with a collard shirt is MUCH MUCH MUCH more presentable that ANY t-shirt and tennis shoe combination under ANY summer situation.

Guys if you only get one thing from this thread, LEAVE YOUR TRAINING SHOES AND T-SHIRTS IN YOUR APARTMENT unless you are going out for a run.  DON'T EVEN THINK ABOUT WEARING THEM ON A DATE!  (shouting intentional)

First few dates... look smart and respect the situation, after that be yourself. No sense is putting up a false front.

A fresh pair of puma's and crisp fashionable shirt won't do you wrong, always worked for me. Then again age and weight is also a factor, large older men in a pair of sneakers and a tshirt isn't going to cut it in Miami, London or Barnal, period.

Online B.B.

• Supporting Member
« Reply #34 on: September 08, 2013, 09:59:13 PM »
Maybe I look like a banker? 

May be. If I'll see a guy in black pants and black shoes in hot summer day the first thing which come into mind - he is going to funerals  :innocent:

It also wouldn't be me :)

B/B
Saving the World, One Clue at a Time
If your religion insults my intelligence, don't be surprised when my intelligence insults your religion.

Offline ozybob

• Spouses Country: UKRAINE/AUSTRALIA
« Reply #35 on: September 08, 2013, 10:27:28 PM »
id agree with slumba ,

dressed sharply to suit you age and weight/body shape

however living in australia black is one colour i avoid if possible in the summer here , same when over there , it is just too hot , no sense being a bloody solar panel during the day , be comfortable , wear cotton  :)

use light colours for your collared or polo shirts where possible , the younger generation mostly seem to wear tight fitted jeans with good quality collared cotton shirt , in or out ,

on our last month long visit i had several locals ask me  for directions / the time or information about the metro etc, 
look the part and you will blend in and your lady can see you respect yourself etc etc

it will also make it easier for her to spend time with you as you dont stick out like the proverbial sore thumb , she wont get any flack for being with a foreigner who makes her look bad/cheap etc  in the eyes of the locals on the street

id also suggest a short haircut and a daily shave ,
you dont see many beards or moustaches there , let alone the unshaven look
most guys have the short back and sides semi military style cuts ,

however id also say shorts are ok if there good quality cotton , what we call dress shorts , sort of thing you would play golf in with short white socks ,,

sports shoes ??well i wear my good quality ones , especially if we are walking long distances during the day [ truth is when dont you ?]  not every day , but when it is prudent too  my wife wore shoes for style /looks recently , over her more comfortable flat shoes , her blisters took 10 days to heal , style/looks , was stubbornly more important at the time , she did recant on that later though when she realised her error in private  :-X

BOB
Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit; Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.

Offline Manny

• Spouses Country: Russia
  • Trips: 20+
« Reply #36 on: September 09, 2013, 12:46:34 AM »
short white socks ,,

:snivel:

http://uk.askmen.com/fashion/fashiontip/tip2.html

This doesn't only apply to Dutch people - Americans seem to be fans of wearing white socks with the most inappropriate of clothes. Does any other nation in the world think mullets, stone washed jeans, white "sneakers" and white socks are fashionable? Leave the white socks for the gym. As for socks with sandals - any socks - this should be considered a crime against humanity.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/talking_point/3397149.stm
Read a trip report from North Korea >>here<< - Read a trip report from South Korea, China and Hong Kong >>here<<

Look what the American media makes some people believe:
Putin often threatens to strike US with nuclear weapons.

Offline Halo

« Reply #37 on: September 09, 2013, 01:00:14 AM »
You can wear white socks if you can rock the hipster look.  Unfortunately, few men are successful at this.  First, you have to be young - under 30.  Second, you have to have the right shoes.  Oxfords, Sperry top siders, desert boots, or certain sneaker brands.  You have to know which brands pass "muster".  Third you can only wear white socks if you are wearing slim cut, raw denim jeans rolled up, and those jeans look fabulous on you. They generally look best on teen aged boys with impossibly flat stomachs and no body fat.  Not your typical MOB'r. tiphat
After the fall of communism, the biggest mistake Boris Yeltsin's regime made was not to disband the KGB altogether. Instead it changed its name to the FSB and, to many observers, morphed into a gangster organisation, eventually headed by master criminal Vladimir Putin. - Gerard Batten

Online andrewfi

• Supporting Member
    • Articles About Almost Anything!
« Reply #38 on: September 09, 2013, 01:07:47 AM »
Perhaps those who haved lived in Russia or Ukraine during the 90's or earlier can add something here but when I was living in Saint Petersburg I think I came to understand the choice (at the time) of dark colours even during hot summers.

Russian cities have always seemed to me to be dusty, more dusty than other European cities. I arrived in SPb with my usual pile of bright, light and white clothes and went to live in an apartment without a washing machine and during that time of the summer when the hot water was turned off and I did not have the benefit of a kolonka.

All around me were men dressed in black or other dark hues and me nice and comfy in light trousers, light coloured shoes and a cool white short.

After a couple of weeks I was firmly fed up with trying to handwash my clothes in cold water to remove the dust and grime that were picked up each day from the city streets. I understood that I was now starting to look down at heel in my permanently grimy looking vestments. I was surrounded by sharp looking blokes in their black poly/mix trousers and shiny black shoes.

I surrendered and hied me of to the rynok near to Goscinny Dvor and bought myself some black pants and dug out my black shoes from the recesses of my suitcase.
SORTED!
The shoes wiped clean and always looked nice.
The pants looked great, a quick go over with a brush and they were like new again, but even if I washed them their fabric enabled them to dry out overnight and they would not hold onto dirt anyway so they were a doddle to wash.

My guess is that as home laundry equipment has continued its onward march into the homes of ordinary Russians that the use of black as uniform, practical style has decreased. A washing machine makes possible types of clothing just not practical for hand washing and air drying.

======================

Halo, the guys you describe and fantasise about could wear pink socks, or no clothes at all, it ain't the socks occupying your attention I'm sure!
...everything ends always well; if it’s still bad, then it’s not the end!

Offline Halo

« Reply #39 on: September 09, 2013, 01:18:26 AM »
HAHA.  Too much like my son to fantasize about. :)  I do find them aesthetically pleasing though, just as female models, for the most part are. 

As for fantasies, my hubby's still my ideal, and he usually wears jeans and a dress collared shirt, like Lacoste, occasionally, light cotton or linen pants.  In winter, he usually wears a shirt and a sweater, always either wool or cashmere and jeans or dress pants.  I don't pay much attention to his socks.  His style of dress is very European, although I buy most of his clothing. :)

I think you are right about the dark clothing in winter.  In Ukraine in Soviet times, much was contingent on what you could purchase, and winter clothing, in particular, was gloomy.  Hubby had lots of light coloured summer shirts, though, Egyptian cotton, some t-shirts, and he wore jeans most of the time.  He never wore sandals, and still won't. 

Grandfather used to wear white linen shirts and suits, which Grandmother had made (she was an excellent seamstress), and a linen hat.  She washed his suits, and pressed them, daily.  There was a product you could buy in Kiev which you added to water to boil your whites, and they came out sparkling. 

Offline AJ

« Reply #40 on: September 09, 2013, 01:45:06 AM »
Andrew, I'd say that's part of the equation for sure! Noticed the same thing from years ago in Czech Rep, to today's time,
 were it is hard pressed to find the dark hues once very common.
I'm sure simply fashion change is part of it as well ,but in the past it certainly had a lot  to do with practicality,something no longer as large of issue.

As far as fashion, I wear what I feel comfortable in ,for the given situation.
 Yes if the circumstances change to less casual ,most people wont feel comfortable in a T shirt and sneakers.
It's  likely best if   traveling to  adapt the wardrobe a bit to local guidelines.
Overall in the FSU i've never had to adapt much to fit the norm, as I don't wear sneakers,shorts , or T shirts,  often here.
If in a resort area,here or there,  absolutely.
  I'd say the cut of the clothes is a larger difference than color /fabric anymore, and shoes.
I tend to think of it somewhat when  *going out* in the evening , otherwise wear whatever I want to.
No need to really  sweat fashion, if you look presentable, its good enough.Also while *every girls crazy about a sharp dressed man*,the rough look attracts girls as well, so I've never truly sweated it either way.
They like how I look that moment or day ,or they don't. I don't look the same all the time at home either.   
   As far as being mistaken for  a local,not going to happen much!!!!! lol
as i'm likely to try and speak with them,which quickly eliminates any doubt i'm  a native.(if there ever was any)
 I don't travel to avoid  experiencing the culture and people , so I' m not likely to pass up an opportunity to try and
understand a babushka or de'adushka,or anyone else. I've had some of the best, and most amusing conversations with random FSU folk.The old men often have the best sense of humor, lol

Offline patagonie

• Real life is meeting and kissing
  • Spouses Country: ukraine

Offline patagonie

Offline patagonie

Offline patagonie

Offline patagonie

Offline patagonie

Offline patagonie

« Reply #48 on: September 09, 2013, 02:09:38 AM »

Offline AJ

« Reply #49 on: September 09, 2013, 02:12:52 AM »
  Those dress shoe  *boot* styles, are not going to be on my feet ,ever,  Pat.
 ;D
I'll just have to perish, lonely,  I suppose.   :D

Seriously those are perfectly fine for the right man!!

They just wouldn't fit me, or my style, and in fact would look silly.
When there, (or here) I generally wear  a slim cut jean ,and a collared euro style/ fit * T shirt* ,
no not a polo,  but they have a collar, I'm not sure what the real name is.
 I do wear good dark shoes,they are somehow between casual ,and dress.
I also generally have all day 5 o'clock shadow , a confirmed internet absolute *no no* in the FSU!!
yet that doesn't seem to phase women much somehow in real life.
(Unless they complain about chaffing)  :-X

Granted if I was headed to a business meeting ,those dress shoe *boots* would be ok,
 and I dont oft have business meetings in  the FSU . If so, I'd go with a more traditional dress shoe style.
(don't care if its a blizzard)

Registration