The World's #1 Russian, Ukrainian & Eastern European Discussion & Information Forum - RUA!

This Is the Premier Discussion Forum on the Net for Information and Discussion about Russia, Ukraine, Eastern Europe and the Former Soviet Union. Discuss Culture, Politics, Travelling, Language, International Relationships and More. Chat with Travellers, Locals, Residents and Expats. Ask and Answer Questions about Travel, Culture, Relationships, Applying for Visas, Translators, Interpreters, and More. Give Advice, Read Trip Reports, Share Experiences and Make Friends.

Author Topic: Four things about grooming your Mommie never told you:  (Read 1365 times)

Offline Barbossa

• Trips: 10-20
Four things about grooming your Mommie never told you:
« on: December 11, 2013, 11:07:30 AM »
I know this is really an uncalled for topic.  But it is something that I address with my male employees when they start with our company.  Our guys call it the “Hair Lecture” but really it applies to all aspects of presentation:

Here are four tips for adult men that your mommies never told you.  They will help you in presenting a good ‘you’ when you meet a lady:

1.  Nails trimmed and no hangnails.  Simple really.  Get the nail clippers out ahead of time on a trip and get ‘em trimmed up

2.  Shave the hair on the BACK of your neck.  Most guys shave their faces, but you would be surprised how many guys leave the fuzz below the hairline on their back.  A sharply defined hairline demonstrates an added cleanliness.

3.  Clip your nostril hair.  Should be self-explanatory.  No big deal.  I use a razor and a small pair of scissors.

4.  Pluck your ears.  That’s right.  Get a tweezers out and pluck the hair on the inside of your earlobes.  Takes about three or four minutes. 

Lastly, and not a necessity, trim your eyebrows.  My barber usually does this. But right before a trip, I will pull out a comb and raise the hair on my eyebrows so it is uniform and sightly.

Many of the guys coming on this forum claim that they look ten years younger than their age.  Having hair in the wrong places will belie that claim. 

(The reason I just pulled this out now is that I just gave the 'lecture' about ten minutes ago.)

Offline NS1

• Supporting Member
  • Trips: 5-10
Re: Four things about grooming your Mommie never told you:
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2013, 11:42:36 AM »
I know this is really an uncalled for topic.  But it is something that I address with my male employees when they start with our company.  Our guys call it the “Hair Lecture” but really it applies to all aspects of presentation:

Here are four tips for adult men that your mommies never told you.  They will help you in presenting a good ‘you’ when you meet a lady:

1.  Nails trimmed and no hangnails.  Simple really.  Get the nail clippers out ahead of time on a trip and get ‘em trimmed up

2.  Shave the hair on the BACK of your neck.  Most guys shave their faces, but you would be surprised how many guys leave the fuzz below the hairline on their back.  A sharply defined hairline demonstrates an added cleanliness.

3.  Clip your nostril hair.  Should be self-explanatory.  No big deal.  I use a razor and a small pair of scissors.

4.  Pluck your ears.  That’s right.  Get a tweezers out and pluck the hair on the inside of your earlobes.  Takes about three or four minutes. 

Lastly, and not a necessity, trim your eyebrows.  My barber usually does this. But right before a trip, I will pull out a comb and raise the hair on my eyebrows so it is uniform and sightly.

Many of the guys coming on this forum claim that they look ten years younger than their age.  Having hair in the wrong places will belie that claim. 

(The reason I just pulled this out now is that I just gave the 'lecture' about ten minutes ago.)

By the look of your Avatar, its getting away from you :chuckle:
Lucky for me, I don't have the ear or back hair problem.
But being well groomed, regardless of your place in life, should be a no brainer.

Barbossa, if they don't do this on a regular bases at the age of most here,
it likely is a lost cause:)
There is nothing permanent except change.

Offline Barbossa

• Trips: 10-20
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2013, 12:00:13 PM »
 :ROFL:  I was wondering if anyone would comment on that.  Touche!

Offline Mikeav8r

• Keep the shiny side up and the dirty side down...
  • Spouses Country: Russia
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2013, 12:38:23 PM »

Actually better to get them "shaped" by a professional.  Trimming them just makes them look shorter but still out of sorts but if they are properly shaped with your face, it is much easier to keep the length trimmed....and it looks better.

One I will add to this is proper skin care...most men fail miserably in this regard.  I will get a chemical peel once a quarter and a microderm abrasion once a year.  Not only does it feel good, but it keeps the skin in great shape which is usually the most abused part of a man.  The eyebrow shaping can be scheduled with the facials as it only takes 5 to 10 minutes.   tiphat
Two Favorites:
1.  You have 2 ears and 1 mouth, therefor you should listen twice as much as you speak. -Confucius
2.  If you want to give God a good laugh, tell him your plans. - Anon

Offline Larry

« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2013, 01:00:56 PM »
I get a spray tan before every trip.  I look better tanned than pale.  The people who apply it say it will last five days.  In my experience it lasts only three to four days. 

Offline NS1

• Supporting Member
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2013, 01:01:32 PM »

Actually better to get them "shaped" by a professional.  Trimming them just makes them look shorter but still out of sorts but if they are properly shaped with your face, it is much easier to keep the length trimmed....and it looks better.

One I will add to this is proper skin care...most men fail miserably in this regard.  I will get a chemical peel once a quarter and a microderm abrasion once a year.  Not only does it feel good, but it keeps the skin in great shape which is usually the most abused part of a man.  The eyebrow shaping can be scheduled with the facials as it only takes 5 to 10 minutes.   tiphat

Really :duh:

Is that how everyone here but me, looks 10 years younger than posted age :ROFL:
There is nothing permanent except change.

Offline Mikeav8r

• Keep the shiny side up and the dirty side down...
  • Spouses Country: Russia
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2013, 01:07:33 PM »

Really :duh:

I can't say.  Personally, I don't think I look 10 years younger (I live with my feet firmly on the ground :) ) but it keeps me looking younger than I am.  People often mistake me for 42-45 which is 3 - 6 years younger.  The point is, people my age should not look or feel "old" and healthy skin is a plus in that regard.
Two Favorites:
1.  You have 2 ears and 1 mouth, therefor you should listen twice as much as you speak. -Confucius
2.  If you want to give God a good laugh, tell him your plans. - Anon

Offline Larry

« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2013, 01:09:06 PM »

Yep.  You look only five years younger than your actual age. :)