The World's #1 Russian, Ukrainian & Eastern European Discussion & Information Forum - RUA!

This Is the Premier Discussion Forum on the Net for Information and Discussion about Russia, Ukraine, Eastern Europe and the Former Soviet Union. Discuss Culture, Politics, Travelling, Language, International Relationships and More. Chat with Travellers, Locals, Residents and Expats. Ask and Answer Questions about Travel, Culture, Relationships, Applying for Visas, Translators, Interpreters, and More. Give Advice, Read Trip Reports, Share Experiences and Make Friends.

Author Topic: Beating Jet Lag  (Read 3383 times)

Offline Barbossa

• Trips: 10-20
Beating Jet Lag
« on: December 02, 2013, 08:33:55 AM »
:plane:  JET LAG   :plane:

Everyone has an idea of how to beat jet lag.  And I think that there are two types of experiences people report.  One is based on circadian rhythm.  And the other is based on trip exhaustion (which will not be reviewed in this thread).  The general idea is, that if you are traveling West to East, that your body does not quickly adjust to the time changes.  That is jet lag. 

I have made the trip over the big pond many times.  I usually start in Los Angeles and wind up in Moscow or some other Eastern European port of entry.  Because my trip typically takes me pretty close to over the North Pole, I don't experience time changes as would, say, someone flying from New York.  But after the second trip, I realized that I needed a routine to quickly overcome the effects of jet lag.  The simple rule is not to do anything the first day you are 'in country'.  Establish yourself in bed at a decent hour local time and follow the next day with at least a twenty minute nap, sometime in the day.

Here are four other tips I have for circadian rhythm jet lag:

1.  Do not drink coffee or caffeine related products prior or during the trip.  If you are on the plane and they offer coffee - just say no.

2.  Do drink lots of water.  One of the largest problems that people have on planes is that they become dehydrated, disrupting your body chemistry.  Arriving at your destination, this will make you feel like you have a long term hangover.

3.  Get to a place on the plane where you can sleep.  I actually take a pill that relaxes me on the flight.  One of the side effects is that I can usually sleep the flight away.

4.  Take a melatonin supplement an hour each night, before you go to sleep (local time.)  These are cheap supplements available at any local pharmacy.

From a website on circadian rhythm:

Melatonin:

Your brain's pineal gland secretes melatonin to help control your circadian rhythms. The release of this natural hormone is tied to the amount of light; this means that your body secretes more during the night and is suppressed during the day. Exposure to a lot of light at night prevents your body from producing melatonin and leads to jet lag. Take a melatonin supplement every night for three nights about an hour before your bedtime to trigger your body to adjust its rhythms.

Each person has their own methods for avoiding jet lag.  The hints above seem to be tried and tested, but I would be happy to know any others that might work and the theory behind them.

Offline el_guero

• My Russian improves slowly.
  • Spouses Country: Ukraine
Re: Beating Jet Lag
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2013, 09:41:05 AM »
Barbossa,

Since you have such problems flying, you should just leave the search to the rest of us ....

:plane:

wayne

Offline RichyRich

• Trips: Semi-Resident
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2013, 09:45:12 AM »
Jet lag? I only got jet lag going to LA once, all other times not at all and I'd say that is because I switched my body to the timezone I was going to over the course of a couple of nights. That said sleeping pills are good... if they work, don't seem to work for me :(

Also the NHS has good advice here :)

Offline Barbossa

« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2013, 10:14:08 AM »
Barbossa,

Since you have such problems flying, you should just leave the search to the rest of us ....

wayne

All yours Wayne.  Knock yourself out. 

I've decided I'm going to purchase tourist visas for any lovely women who would like to come here from an FSU country and bring the women to me.  At this time of year, Los Angeles is rather attractive to those cold winter countries, dontcha think?  Screw getting on a plane to someplace cold!

Offline Jeffery

« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2013, 01:24:08 PM »
  The general idea is, that if you are traveling West to East, that your body does not quickly adjust to the time changes.  That is jet lag. 

OK Barb, can you please explain to me why I suffer jet lag big time only when I return to North America from a trip to the FSU, not when I go to the FSU?

I adjust in a couple of days when I arrive in the FSU.
It takes 2-3 weeks to adjust when I get back home!

No caffeine consumed here.

Offline Larry

• Trips: 5-10
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2013, 01:34:00 PM »
2.  Do drink lots of water.  One of the largest problems that people have on planes is that they become dehydrated, disrupting your body chemistry.  Arriving at your destination, this will make you feel like you have a long term hangover.

3.  Get to a place on the plane where you can sleep.  I actually take a pill that relaxes me on the flight.  One of the side effects is that I can usually sleep the flight away.

Barbossa's points number two and three have almost always worked to minimize jet lag for me.

On my first trip to FSU I boarded a flight from my home airport to Frankfurt around 4:30-5PM.  Around the time of boarding I took an over the counter sleeping pill.  I ended up sleeping almost the entire duration of the flight.  I spent a relatively brief layover in Frankfurt the following morning, then boarded a plane to Minsk, where I arrived well-rested and eager to meet the lovely girl I was visiting.  Happily, I adjusted to the 7 hour time difference quickly, which was a good thing, because she walked me all over Minsk.

Offline Barbossa

« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2013, 01:49:21 PM »
  The general idea is, that if you are traveling West to East, that your body does not quickly adjust to the time changes.  That is jet lag. 

OK Barb, can you please explain to me why I suffer jet lag big time only when I return to North America from a trip to the FSU, not when I go to the FSU?

I adjust in a couple of days when I arrive in the FSU.
It takes 2-3 weeks to adjust when I get back home!

No caffeine consumed here.

Guess you missed the first paragraph.  There are two types of Jet Lag.  What you are experiencing is 'Trip Exhaustion'.  I have it, too, to a lesser degree.  But the West to East thing is prevalent for many fliers.  My doctor prescribed melatonin for the trip exhaustion as well.  It works.  But you will need a week to get everything back to normal.

Offline lonedrake

« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2013, 05:23:30 PM »
Jet lag!  Leaves me groggy for a day of two when I arrive in Ukraine. I cannot sleep on planes much at all. I have even stayed up all night before the trip and that did not work either.

When I return I really have no jet lag or exhaustion at all.

Offline NS1

• Supporting Member
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2013, 05:26:48 PM »
Jet lag!  Leaves me groggy for a day of two when I arrive in Ukraine. I cannot sleep on planes much at all. I have even stayed up all night before the trip and that did not work either.

When I return I really have no jet lag or exhaustion at all.

I don't really get Jet Lag. But I also plan my trips to get to apartment about 5-6ish.
even if a little tired.
time for shower, go out for supper and to bed a little early local time.
wake up next day, on local time and relax, besides on holidays.

Returning, tend to land here and home, by 9-11 and in bed by 12
so even with travel, normal schedule and back to normal quick:)
There is nothing permanent except change.

Offline ozybob

• Spouses Country: UKRAINE/AUSTRALIA
« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2013, 07:32:25 PM »
i have had doses of jet lag when we travel , usually leaving australia to head north/west to ukraine/russia is ok , no jet lag problems at all i manage the long flights all good , even though i find sleeping extremely difficult on any flight or bus etc

it is always the return back to australia that has me buggered for a few days , & no i dont drink coffee either ,
just find im sort in half sleep mode for the first 2-3 days on return home  lol

one  other tip i use is

try to book flights that are as close as possible to your normal awake /sleep times at home 

ie , we try to  leave australia in the early evening up unitl say 11 pm at night

, sleep on flight if possible arriving in dubai at say 5-9 am next day , then next hop to ukraine or russia leaves at 7-9 am arrives usally early afternoon , 1-2 pm , this allows me time to get to the apartment, buy some food and do some activity, like walk etc , then go to bed at the usual time of that evening

return flight is the same sort of idea, i find it helps if i have done some good activity before the flight , i try not to sit around the last day or so , keep busy , it helps me to sleep on flights this way

and book the most direct flight , timewise as possible , long layovers just compound the problem imo , hence we fly dubai , more than singapore or other asian connection to the fsu
BOB
Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit; Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.

Offline el_guero

« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2013, 08:54:31 PM »
Barbossa,

wayne

All yours Wayne.  Knock yourself out. 

I've decided I'm going to purchase tourist visas for any lovely women who would like to come here from an FSU country and bring the women to me.  At this time of year, Los Angeles is rather attractive to those cold winter countries, dontcha think?  Screw getting on a plane to someplace cold!

Anyone who has ever lived in LA knows it is a GREAT vacation spot, but a terrible place to live ....

No wonder you get airsick .... you are constantly stressed out.

Offline GuppyCaptain

• Actively on the Search
  • Trips: 1-5
« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2013, 10:34:32 PM »
1. Stay as hydrated as possible.

2. Sleep as much as you can and anytime the mood hits. Don't try to time your sleep. Of course this is highly debated amongst international travelers. IMHO, just sleep whenever and wherever you can. A natural sleepaid like melatonin is a wonderful thing if used strategically.

Offline BCKev

« Reply #12 on: December 04, 2013, 11:28:58 PM »
The term "Jet Lag" is possibly misleading. It isn't the traveling that screws me up, but the time change.

When I was traveling regularly between Canada and Mexico, sometimes I would be on the road for the same amount of time as a trip to Ukraine. There was only one hour time difference between my origin and destination. I had no problem at all with feeling tired after a trip like this.

There is a 9 hour time difference between where I live and Ukraine, and this can really screw me up if I don't manage it. My routine to handle this is:
1. Sleep as much as possible on the plane
2. On arrival in Ukraine, don't sleep until 10 pm local time.
3. For the next day or two, take a short nap in the middle of the day if necessary, maybe an hour or so.

Offline Mikeav8r

• Keep the shiny side up and the dirty side down...
  • Spouses Country: Russia
« Reply #13 on: December 05, 2013, 12:04:44 AM »
The term "Jet Lag" is possibly misleading. It isn't the traveling that screws me up, but the time change.

When I was traveling regularly between Canada and Mexico, sometimes I would be on the road for the same amount of time as a trip to Ukraine. There was only one hour time difference between my origin and destination. I had no problem at all with feeling tired after a trip like this.

There is a 9 hour time difference between where I live and Ukraine, and this can really screw me up if I don't manage it. My routine to handle this is:
1. Sleep as much as possible on the plane
2. On arrival in Ukraine, don't sleep until 10 pm local time.
3. For the next day or two, take a short nap in the middle of the day if necessary, maybe an hour or so.

That is true BC.  There really is no such thing as "Jet Lag" as the traveling by jet is not the cause of what one experiences when crossing multiple time zones.  It is the affect of trying to adjust to the new time zone when it hits you 24-48 hours later that one is experiencing.  The reason why it is associated with "jets" is because that is the most common, if not the only, mode of transportation that gets you into that situation (quickly) so it is basically guilt by association.  The actual flying doesn't cause the affects one feels...the difference, and subsequent adjustment to the time change is the guilty party.  Not to mention the fatigue associated with 20+ hours of moving through airports (usually 3 -4) and being awake most of that time....

Like mentioned above....sleep when possible on the plane (I personally can not sleep on a plane), stay hydrated, take a nap during the day if possible and avoid caffeine as much as possible.  I also try to stay as close to my home time as I can...wake up later in the morning...go to sleep later at night/morning (convenient as most places are open late in the FSU anyway.

Two Favorites:
1.  You have 2 ears and 1 mouth, therefor you should listen twice as much as you speak. -Confucius
2.  If you want to give God a good laugh, tell him your plans. - Anon

Offline CC3

« Reply #14 on: December 05, 2013, 12:21:29 AM »
Principal cause of so-called jet lag symptoms is circadian rhythm disruption. Here's a short report: http://www.ccjm.org/content/78/10/675.long.

You can google much more detailed and scientific research reports using the terms, circadian rhythm disruption/disturbance and jet lag.

Professional pilot (ALPA) and governmental aviation organizations (FAA, NASA, and NTSB) have been examining this for decades to develop crew duty vs. rest procedures and regulations. These are still evolving as there continue to be catastrophic fatal aviation accidents attributable to pilot fatigue.
The object of war is not to die for your country but to make the other *snip* die for his.
George S. Patton

Offline Mikeav8r

• Keep the shiny side up and the dirty side down...
  • Spouses Country: Russia
« Reply #15 on: December 05, 2013, 12:34:36 AM »
Principal cause of so-called jet lag symptoms is circadian rhythm disruption. Here's a short report: http://www.ccjm.org/content/78/10/675.long.

You can google much more detailed and scientific research reports using the terms, circadian rhythm disruption/disturbance and jet lag.

Professional pilot (ALPA) and governmental aviation organizations (FAA, NASA, and NTSB) have been examining this for decades to develop crew duty vs. rest procedures and regulations. These are still evolving as there continue to be catastrophic fatal aviation accidents attributable to pilot fatigue.

A primary reason for them deciding to reduce duty cycles.  A good thing.
Two Favorites:
1.  You have 2 ears and 1 mouth, therefor you should listen twice as much as you speak. -Confucius
2.  If you want to give God a good laugh, tell him your plans. - Anon

Offline el_guero

« Reply #16 on: December 05, 2013, 11:38:29 PM »
If you do not love to fly ... stay home ....

Offline GuppyCaptain

• Actively on the Search
« Reply #17 on: December 06, 2013, 12:05:51 AM »

Um, what?

???

Offline el_guero

« Reply #18 on: December 06, 2013, 02:16:22 AM »

Um, what?

???

If you do not like flying, barrel rolls, hard landings, landings you can barely walk away from, then embrace that.

Stay on the ground ....

Offline GuppyCaptain

• Actively on the Search
« Reply #19 on: December 06, 2013, 02:40:24 AM »

Um, what?

???

If you do not like flying, barrel rolls, hard landings, landings you can barely walk away from, then embrace that.

Stay on the ground ....

Uuuuh, yeah. Okay, well who exactly likes hard landings and landings you can barely walk away from?

Offline CC3

« Reply #20 on: December 06, 2013, 08:12:18 PM »

Um, what?

???

Stay on the ground ....

Wayne, are there airlines somewhere in the world offering a little more excitement to their passengers for the price they have paid for their tickets by performing barrel rolls and other aerobatics?  :popcorn:
The object of war is not to die for your country but to make the other *snip* die for his.
George S. Patton

Offline CC3

« Reply #21 on: December 06, 2013, 08:21:32 PM »
I don't think I could unconcernedly embrace hard landings like Asiana's at San Francisco.    :LIMP:

And...I have 29,000 flying hours, uncountable aerobatic maneuvers, and many carrier landings, where every landing is a 'hard' landing.   :BEER:
George S. Patton

Offline el_guero

« Reply #22 on: December 06, 2013, 10:29:21 PM »
I don't think I could unconcernedly embrace hard landings like Asiana's at San Francisco.    :LIMP:

And...I have 29,000 flying hours, uncountable aerobatic maneuvers, and many carrier landings, where every landing is a 'hard' landing.   :BEER:

Asiana was too much Korean elder worship.

However, most any landing you can walk away from is good landing.

:BEER:

Wayne

Offline GuppyCaptain

• Actively on the Search
« Reply #23 on: December 06, 2013, 10:52:09 PM »

Asiana was too much Korean elder worship.

However, most any landing you can walk away from is good landing.

:BEER:

Wayne

Well, yes that's perhaps one of our fondest sayings but in no way does that fit the definition of a "good landing" in truth. 

Offline Donhollio

« Reply #24 on: December 06, 2013, 11:00:34 PM »
 Worst runway I have felt was in Odessa. It reminded me of the rail line in Slovakia. Every cut in the concrete felt like it had a gap of 10Cm's!  A steady, clunk clunk clunk as the wheels rolled over the runway. Don't know if its still that bad, been many a full moon since I was there.

I'm one of those people who can't sleep on a plane for any more than 10 minutes. When I was flying on a regular basis, I often wondered what would be a good knockout pill, so I could zonk right out for the trans ocean flight. The high mg Chlor-Tripolon may of been good as they make you drowsy, but can anyone suggest some other pill to take?