The World's #1 Russian, Ukrainian & Eastern European Discussion & Information Forum - RUA!

This Is the Premier Discussion Forum on the Net for Information and Discussion about Russia, Ukraine, Eastern Europe and the Former Soviet Union. Discuss Culture, Politics, Travelling, Language, International Relationships and More. Chat with Travellers, Locals, Residents and Expats. Ask and Answer Questions about Travel, Culture, Relationships, Applying for Visas, Translators, Interpreters, and More. Give Advice, Read Trip Reports, Share Experiences and Make Friends.

Author Topic: Are Russian women still trying to get out of Russia?  (Read 22161 times)

Offline CC3

• Spouses Country: Ukraine
  • Trips: Semi-Resident
Re: Are Russian women still trying to get out of Russia?
« Reply #200 on: October 14, 2013, 06:58:06 PM »
I remember drinking a brand billed as "Seattle's finest coffee". I forget the actual brand name (if anyone knows, do say). I was never so much into coffee, but when in Rome......

I now drink coffee.  :chuckle:

You may be thinking about Seattle's Best Coffee Company which is the only coffee served by McDonalds stores everywhere. It is by far better than anything Starbucks has come up with.

Strange you should say that, since SBC is a wholly owned subsidiary of Starbucks:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seattle%27s_Best_Coffee

And...as you will read in the link, all of SBC's coffee is roasted in Starbucks' facility/
The object of war is not to die for your country but to make the other *snip* die for his.
George S. Patton

Offline Larry

• Trips: 5-10
« Reply #201 on: October 14, 2013, 07:03:04 PM »
And...as you will read in the link, all of SBC's coffee is roasted in Starbucks' facility/

They must take SBC coffee beans out of the roaster before they're burned like Starbucks'.

Offline CC3

« Reply #202 on: October 14, 2013, 07:12:52 PM »

They must take SBC coffee beans out of the roaster before they're burned like Starbucks'.

I'm hooked on Starbucks brewed coffee, but don't buy their beans for home consumption, because they always, in my home coffee maker, produce that bitter or burnt flavor that people describe. 
The object of war is not to die for your country but to make the other *snip* die for his.
George S. Patton

Offline AvHdB

• Spouses Country: Ukraine, Kiev
  • Trips: 20+
« Reply #203 on: October 14, 2013, 07:15:32 PM »
Learning to enjoy coffee in Paris and Amsterdam - When I have had Starbucks the flavour is acidic and the after taste bitter.

But the most annoying thing is the menu. . .
“If you aren't in over your head, how do you know how tall you are?” T.S. Eliot

Offline luke

« Reply #204 on: October 14, 2013, 07:47:46 PM »
Learning to enjoy coffee in Paris and Amsterdam - When I have had Starbucks the flavour is acidic and the after taste bitter.

But the most annoying thing is the menu. . .

I go every day and make it a point to order a "medium" - it pisses some of the uppity barista's off...

When in Seattle I go to Tully's though, much better coffee.

Offline JL

« Reply #205 on: October 14, 2013, 07:49:12 PM »
I bet almost all those Russians who want to leave can't imagine the real USA. И только приехав сюда, они понимают, в какой дыре оказались  ;D

No they can't Millaa......the 3 who have visited me, 2 from Moscow and one from Ukraine had a completely different idea of what it was like. Then.....They loved it when they got here. The girls I have known from Moscow did want to leave for several reasons, the quality of life even though  they had very god jobs, the Moscow winters, just the ease of life living in a country that was organized and things work like they are supposed to, and the extreme friendliness of everyone from bank tellers, waiters, and even people on the street caught them off guard. They all saw it in terms of a good place to raise a child. LOL Naturally an FSU woman would be considering that. It didn't surprise me but reminded me how thoughtful they are and why I admire them.

Offline Hammer2722

• Spouses Country: Belarus
  • Trips: 1-5
« Reply #206 on: October 15, 2013, 08:22:24 AM »
I remember drinking a brand billed as "Seattle's finest coffee". I forget the actual brand name (if anyone knows, do say). I was never so much into coffee, but when in Rome......

I now drink coffee.  :chuckle:

You may be thinking about Seattle's Best Coffee Company which is the only coffee served by McDonalds stores everywhere. It is by far better than anything Starbucks has come up with.

Strange you should say that, since SBC is a wholly owned subsidiary of Starbucks:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seattle%27s_Best_Coffee

This does not surprise me at all. If you can't make better coffee, just buy out the compettition!  ;D

Offline Rasputin

• Spouses Country: Russia
  • Trips: 10-20
« Reply #207 on: October 15, 2013, 10:05:09 AM »
Somewhat off topic, somewhat on topic, but I will nonetheless share an interesting piece from the New York Times about the Russia left behind: http://www.nytimes.com/newsgraphics/2013/10/13/russia/?smid=fb-nytimes&WT.z_sma=OT_TRL_20131015#
"Seems I live in Russia Rasputin visited" - Millaa
"So do I" - Molly35ru

Offline dwfunk

« Reply #208 on: October 15, 2013, 12:01:53 PM »
By the way, the Denver resident RW, whom I dated a few years ago, and who has lived in the US for 13 years, is contemplating moving back to St. Petersburg. The Obamanizing of America is depressing her profoundly. She says it reminds her too much of her life in Soviet times and that daily life in RF may be more free than in the US.

Norg moved back to Moscow for the very same reason.

-david

Offline dwfunk

« Reply #209 on: October 15, 2013, 12:18:55 PM »
Russians come across the border to do basic consumer goods shopping, because their stores are half empty.

Why would you think that? I never saw a half empty food store in Russia. Those days were thirty years ago. Your woman is spinning you a yarn there probably.

You may recall that Ukraines inhabitants are typically somewhat poorer than Russias. If they do come shopping its likely because stuff is cheaper, not due to it being unavailable. Same reason as Brits go to France. Not because our stores are empty, but because its cheaper.
I agree, I scratched my head when I read that story... I travel all over Russia including small towns and I haven't seen a "half empty" store. Sounds like a spin.

I saw nothing like this in any store I went into in Nizhny Novgorod.  That also includes time spent in Zavolzhye, Gorodets, Bor and several 'mom-n-pops' along the way.  Магнит stores were everywhere, shelves packed.

-david

Offline CC3

« Reply #210 on: October 15, 2013, 01:51:53 PM »
Russians come across the border to do basic consumer goods shopping, because their stores are half empty.

Why would you think that? I never saw a half empty food store in Russia. Those days were thirty years ago. Your woman is spinning you a yarn there probably.

You may recall that Ukraines inhabitants are typically somewhat poorer than Russias. If they do come shopping its likely because stuff is cheaper, not due to it being unavailable. Same reason as Brits go to France. Not because our stores are empty, but because its cheaper.
I agree, I scratched my head when I read that story... I travel all over Russia including small towns and I haven't seen a "half empty" store. Sounds like a spin.

I saw nothing like this in any store I went into in Nizhny Novgorod.  That also includes time spent in Zavolzhye, Gorodets, Bor and several 'mom-n-pops' along the way.  Магнит stores were everywhere, shelves packed.

-david

Sure are a lot of Russian licensed SUV's driving around Luhans'k. Maybe they're preparing a stealth takeover of the Luhans'k/Donets'k area in the escalation of Tsar Putin's campaign to reabsorb Ukraine into the Russian empire.   :8)
George S. Patton

Offline Millaa

• looking for a hero
  • Spouses Country: Hayshenway
  • Trips: 1-5
« Reply #211 on: October 15, 2013, 02:00:50 PM »
Maybe they're preparing a stealth takeover of the Luhans'k/Donets'k area in the escalation of Tsar Putin's campaign to reabsorb Ukraine into the Russian empire.   :8)
Сплошная русофобия.  :smokin: Russia has enouth problems even without Ukraina.
Скептический ум - страшное оружие с собственным счастьем

Registration